Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

No achievement's worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Will there be a kamasutra Xbox Kinect game with achievements?

20 points "feck, you are really damming flexible"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Deano7788 wrote: »
    The trade in thing doesn't really affect me as I tend to hang onto games, nor does the 1 time a day internet thing.

Best of luck with hanging onto your games. DRM servers will be off in about 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    i think that if that figure is real, they are just making the same mistake sony did with the PS3, relying on brand name and not pricing it right.

also gamestop stock

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:GME

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=GME

down 13% at the moment
    COYVB wrote: »
    GameStop are down almost 25% since the Xbox One announcement

Gamestop also announced that first quarter profits fell by 25%, this week.

Also worth noting that Gamestop's stock price is currently $32.20. That's up from this years low of $22.61 and up from $15.73 last July. So despite the fall in price it's still double what it was less than a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

How did i miss this trailer,
    it looks awesome

http://youtu.be/7fMRYPZ4Jek

bring some of that to E3 and job well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Best of luck with hanging onto your games. DRM servers will be off in about 5 years.

That's a separate matter (by hang on I mean the discs, I collect them, I more often than not don't tend to play them again. DRM won't affect this, unless it melts the disc as well somehow).

5 years is also a bit speculative on your part and DRM can often be adjusted or turned off at a later date.

It is something I'm awaiting full clarification on, though, as there's been loads of mixed signals coming from MS on how this will work. Sony also haven't been completely clear on this. Supposedly they're leaving it up to the publishers, who more often than not will just do the same as they do for the xbone.

And, as I did say, I am leaning, by a good bit, towards PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

it looks awesome

Its even better watching it when they actually revealed the PS4 and seeing it on the big screen with all the lights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtsJ0PZE9Co

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think this sums up the reveal nicely

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

it looks awesome

They opened their reveal with it. It was fantastic. It got me really excited for it, which I didn't think I could be. Just made me want to play games.

Contrast that with the opening video for the Microsoft reveal and it was just people talking about TV. Tells you all you need to know really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So xbox one is the start of skynet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Headshot wrote: »
    So xbox one is the start of skynet

Instead of terminators skynet will wipe out mankind by bombarding humans with tv, Doritos and Mountain Dew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Something has just dawned on me regarding the new console and trade ins and apologies if it has come up before, but just as an example today you buy a game for fifty five quid. At the time of release it has a trade in value of thirty five to thirty eight euro. If the new console allows installed games to be played without the disc, that means I can get nearly all my money back half an hour after I buy the game no?

The only alternative to this is stores starting off at much lower trade in prices but even still I would happily claim back twenty/twenty five euro store credit on a game I just purchased if the old system regarding trade ins is eliminated in the process. The single biggest deterrent with me and trading is that I can't decide if I'm done with a game or not. This would no longer be the case. So essentially I'm getting the game for nearly half the price as I can use the credit against my next game

So with that level of a saving in mind, of course I won't object to having to pay a fee to activate a used game, I've already saved nearly half the price of a brand new retail game, over time I will save tons.

I'm open to any objections to this theory but to be honest I think Microsoft have actually helped boost the pre played market with this decision. More people will trade more quickly (a common desired from retails I can assure you from my experience in work)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

niallon wrote: »
    Something has just dawned on me regarding the new console and trade ins and apologies if it has come up before, but just as an example today you buy a game for fifty five quid. At the time of release it has a trade in value of thirty five to thirty eight euro. If the new console allows installed games to be played without the disc, that means I can get nearly all my money back half an hour after I buy the game no?

The only alternative to this is stores starting off at much lower trade in prices but even still I would happily claim back twenty/twenty five euro store credit on a game I just purchased if the old system regarding trade ins is eliminated in the process. The single biggest deterrent with me and trading is that I can't decide if I'm done with a game or not. This would no longer be the case. So essentially I'm getting the game for nearly half the price as I can use the credit against my next game

So with that level of a saving in mind, of course I won't object to having to pay a fee to activate a used game, I've already saved nearly half the price of a brand new retail game, over time I will save tons.

I'm open to any objections to this theory but to be honest I think Microsoft have actually helped boost the pre played market with this decision. More people will trade more quickly (a common desired from retails I can assure you from my experience in work)

That's what the 24 hour log in is for. It will delete the game after you sell it All stores have to register to do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You are presuming the way things work now are how the next gen will work. No, expect things to look very different right from the start. If you buy the game, install it and then bring it back, you will have to be connecting to the internet every 24 hours. Sure, you'll get some time I guess. I mean, you'd get the 24 hours, obviously, but probably as long as it took for someone to buy it and activate it on another system. I might be understanding something wrong, probably am, but that's how I understand it anyway.

Once the disc that you traded in is registered on someone else's Xbox it'll be deleted from your account and you won't be able to play it anymore.
    Perhaps this is the reasoning why it must connect to XBL every 24 hours. People could just buy games, then install them, and return them and disconnect their Xbox and play them forever because the Xbox wouldn't be able to connect to the servers to see if the disc has been registered on another account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

hang on for a second....

this thing has 8GB but 3 of those will be going to all the other crap nobody wants or has asked for?

so we'll only have 5GB out of an 8GB machine going to actual games....on a gaming platform (supposedly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Yousef wrote: »
    hang on for a second....

this thing has 8GB but 3 of those will be going to all the other crap nobody wants or has asked for?

so we'll only have 5GB out of an 8GB machine going to actual games....on a gaming platform (supposedly)?

Playstation seems to win hands down at being the more powerful console. I'd say its going to be bigger than the Xbox One though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/why-the-ps4-will-be-much-more-powerful-than-the-xbox-one
    Some of the inner workings of the consoles’ hardware isn’t yet known, but the most important difference we do know is not in CPU cores, but RAM – the couriers of the computer world.

The Sony PS4 uses 5.5GHz GDDR5 RAM, and we believe the Xbox One uses 2.1GHz DDR3 RAM.

They sound similar, but the different ways they operate has significant knock-on effects for the gaming potential of the two consoles.

The ‘G’ of the PS4's GGDR5 RAM stands for ‘graphics’, and this is a type of memory commonly used in dedicated PC graphics cards – although some do use DDR3 instead, usually cheaper models. In a shamelessly generalising sense, DDR3 is used for main system memory and GDDR5 for graphics-based tasks.

Like, y’know, gaming.

The key is bandwidth. GDDR5 sacrifices latency – the speed with which memory tasks can be initiated – for bandwidth, which defines the speed at which tasks can be performed once started.

Estimates put the PS4’s memory bandwidth at 176GB/second, compared to 68GB/second for the Xbox One. The PS4 is the tech outlier here. GDDR5 is only currently available in 512MB chips, so the console will need a whopping 16 of them.

It’s no wonder Sony hasn’t unveiled the PS4’s case yet – maybe it’s even bigger than the Xbox’s.

Memory bandwidth is imperative when shifting great big chunks of data, such as rendering high-quality textures. So is the Xbox One stuffed?

It’s not quite that simple. Microsoft has also implemented an eSRAM buffer that mitigates the relatively low-bandwidth of DDR3. There’s just a tiny amount of this memory in the Xbox One, 32MB, but it can operate in parallel with the main DDR3 memory and is extremely fast.

This will act as a frame buffer. However, whether this memory configuration will be able to offer the same performance as the PS4's remains to be seem. If it doesn't, greater texture pop-in or lower texture quality within games are two obvious sacrifices. And the figures suggest the PS4 will maintain the upper hand.

Using the eSRAM and DDR3 combo is Microsoft’s sensible and rational approach, against Sony’s all-guns-blazing tactic. GDDR5 memory is significantly more expensive than DDR3.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/why-the-ps4-will-be-much-more-powerful-than-the-xbox-one#bwyehvC7me57BZrX.99

EU court ruled against platforms like steam and oracle from preventing people from reselling physical and digital copies of the game they bought
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregvoakes/2012/07/03/european-courts-rule-in-favor-of-consumers-reselling-downloaded-games/
    so if Microsoft try something similar court case for them i would guess

also EU's entire privacy laws are being revised and updated to include social media like facebook and twitter so kinect 2.0 could be violating these considering it's an nearly always-on-camera(able to turn off camera privacy mode)but who knows how they'll feel about a microphone that's always on and recording
    http://www.mlawgroup.de/news/publications/detail.php?we_objectID=227

so yeah the xbox one could be banned. possibly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Not to mention that you're paying for a game that stops working when their servers are switched off in say 5 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm sure Microsoft are well aware of EU Laws or at least you would hope that they are. Microsoft aren't stopping users from reselling their games, they are putting a levy on another user who uses that same copy of the game. It's an extended version of EA's "Online-Pass" system. On the microphone and camera I'd imagine that while these devices are "always-on" they are not uploading to any database so there is no breach of privacy.

Obviously the whole concept has privacy issues but as long as the data isn't being retained on the console or elsewhere then I don't see the issue. If it's deemed to be susceptible to hacking or tampering then I see it as a huge problem from Microsoft but as it currently stands I don't see the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I'm sure Microsoft are well aware of EU Laws or at least you would hope that they are. Microsoft aren't stopping users from reselling their games, they are putting a levy on another user who uses that same copy of the game. It's an extended version of EA's "Online-Pass" system. On the microphone and camera I'd imagine that while these devices are "always-on" they are not uploading to any database so there is no breach of privacy.

Obviously the whole concept has privacy issues but as long as the data isn't being retained on the console or elsewhere then I don't see the issue. If it's deemed to be susceptible to hacking or tampering then I see it as a huge problem from Microsoft but as it currently stands I don't see the issue.

Microsoft own Skype, through which they record every single conversation. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they recorded everything from the camera/mic. Advantage of the required internet connection. I certainly won't be buying the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Playstation seems to win hands down at being the more powerful console. I'd say its going to be bigger than the Xbox One though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/why-the-ps4-will-be-much-more-powerful-than-the-xbox-one

Feels like Xbox are abandoning core gamers. E3 will be huge for Sony and Microsoft. It's make or break for Microsoft from reading and seeing what I have recently re the Xbox one I am very disappointed the unveil was boring and showed kinect now works I suppose :rolleyes:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/3817/t/1362841.aspx

just a link since it would take me ages to type it out, literally not kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I liked this one the best. Seriously, how do MS think they would actually get away with this.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-extent-of-kinect-2-s-visual-drm-is-beginning-to-emerge/0116138
    Kinect 2 will be able to employ certain DRM measures depending on what it observes in the living room.

That’s the conclusion suggested by a patent filed by Microsoft, and corroborated by sources talking to MCV in the weeks leading up to this week’s Xbox One reveal.

ExtremeTech reports that Microsoft has filed for a patent that allows Kinect to monitor the number of viewers in the room. It then cross-checks this with the maximum number of viewers permitted by the licence that a user agrees to when purchasing or renting content.

If it is deemed that too many people are present, the user will be prompted to pay an additional fee to upgrade the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Once the disc that you traded in is registered on someone else's Xbox it'll be deleted from your account and you won't be able to play it anymore.
    Perhaps this is the reasoning why it must connect to XBL every 24 hours. People could just buy games, then install them, and return them and disconnect their Xbox and play them forever because the Xbox wouldn't be able to connect to the servers to see if the disc has been registered on another account.

That's the last time I post late after a few jars, managed to forget about the 24 hour connection of course that would be implemented to stop the above!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDml9zRChdQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1h39m33s

In this video you can see that whenever the guy up on stage does any Kinect voice stuff he has his hands in his pocket, or else his phone in his hand. Because of this a lot of people are thinking that none of it was real-time and he just had a clicker in his pocket, and an app on the phone controlling it all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDml9zRChdQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1h39m33s

In this video you can see that whenever the guy up on stage does any Kinect voice stuff he has his hands in his pocket, or else his phone in his hand. Because of this a lot of people are thinking that none of it was real-time and he just had a clicker in his pocket, and an app on the phone controlling it all.

hasn't this theory already been busted? like how later on in the presentation he's using voice commands but doesn't have his hand anywhere near his pocket.

For me the obvious thing is if they rigged it like that, why on earth would the guy presenting also be the guy pushing the buttons when it would make much more sense to have someone else do it back stage.

Reminds me of that rugby world cup where the irish studio panel decided one of the english players was communicating with his coaching staff by talking into a water bottle...

There's enough to dislike about the x1 without this kind of tinfoil hat nonsense anyway.

hasn't this theory already been busted? like how later on in the presentation he's using voice commands but doesn't have his hand anywhere near his pocket.

For me the obvious thing is if they rigged it like that, why on earth would the guy presenting also be the guy pushing the buttons when it would make much more sense to have someone else do it back stage.

Reminds me of that rugby world cup where the irish studio panel decided one of the english players was communicating with his coaching staff by talking into a water bottle...

There's enough to dislike about the x1 without this kind of tinfoil hat nonsense anyway.

I'm not sure if its been busted, I only saw it posted on IGN 10mins ago, and didn't watch more than 2-3mins of that video.

I'd be thinking it would be safer for the guy doing the talking to be pressing the button. If he goes of script or something like that, or if someone backstage presses a button too early/late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm not sure if its been busted, I only saw it posted on IGN 10mins ago, and didn't watch more than 2-3mins of that video.

I'd be thinking it would be safer for the guy doing the talking to be pressing the button. If he goes of script or something like that, or if someone backstage presses a button too early/late.

2 points:

1. He goes off script (is extremely unlikely), but he's still going to say something along the lines of a pre-programmed command - as presumably for this to be rigged in the suggested way there would only be a few command related buttons to press.

2. He too could press a button too early/late, it's no more or less likely.

This has totally been busted, IGN must be about a day behind and really scrapping the barrel if this is what they're resorting to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement