Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

as a gamer the xbox one and ps4 hasn't floated me boat just yet
    only time will tell lets hope its going to be a great year of gaming which ever console you choose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The kinect 2 costs at least 100 euro to build,
    i expect it to be at least 450 euro for the xbox 1 .
    I think the ps4 is cheaper to build, its just a custom built pc.
    With no kinect unit.
    I hope microsoft leave 20 euro ,profit for game stores that sell preowned games on xbox one.
    Since they,ll have control of the xbox 1 preowned market.
    I READ some article ,it says if they wanted they could make the xbox 1,
    play original xbox games since both run pc processors.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

riclad wrote: »
    The kinect 2 costs at least 100 euro to build,
    i expect it to be at least 450 euro for the xbox 1 .
    I think the ps4 is cheaper to build, its just a custom built pc.
    With no kinect unit.
    I hope microsoft leave 20 euro ,profit for game stores that sell preowned games on xbox one.
    Since they,ll have control of the xbox 1 preowned market.

There is no way a glorified webcam in a plastic box costs 100 euro. It might retail at that but it certainly wouldn't cost 100.

Also the PS4 is highly unlikely to to be cheaper to build - GDDR5 RAM is ridiculously expensive and comes only in 512MB chips meaning each box will need 16 of them. This is likely why we're not seen a PS4 chassis yet.

399 is likely to be the launch price for both consoles. They wouldn't want to launch it much higher in the middle of a global economic recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

399 is likely to be the launch price for both consoles. They wouldn't want to launch it much higher in the middle of a global economic recession.
    I think that's very optimistic pricing, tbh. They'll want it higher to give them leverage for a price drop at some point in the future if sales aren't doing great. Yes, they would sell a lot more at that price point, but I don't see 'em seeing it that way. They'll push lots of units at a higher price point, and have space for a reduction later. So, what then? 500? Less? More? Probably not more. Except some games bundle. I can definitely see some game bundle with extra controller exceeding the 500 price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I liked this one the best. Seriously, how do MS think they would actually get away with this.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-extent-of-kinect-2-s-visual-drm-is-beginning-to-emerge/0116138

Lmao imagine a kids birthday party with a room full of 7 or 8 year olds that in order to watch a copy of finding nemo you legally own...... here kids some of you will have to hide behind the sofa / curtains so that we call all watch the movie :D

A comedian couldn't write this stuff , pure gold :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

I think $400 is the sweet spot, if Sony wait for MS price reveal then take a hit to come in lower they'll wipe the floor after the launch ****storm.

While the ram is going to be expensive, the rate at which the memory industry moves it'll become cheaper to buy over time. Again, take a hit now as 3 years into the life cycle the production cost will be much lower.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

3 years into the life is when a 'slim' model will inevitably be dreamt up and introduced when miniaturisation kicks in. The initial outlay for GDDR5 ram will push prices up. Same way the cell chip did for PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

There is no way a glorified webcam in a plastic box costs 100 euro. It might retail at that but it certainly wouldn't cost 100.

Also the PS4 is highly unlikely to to be cheaper to build - GDDR5 RAM is ridiculously expensive and comes only in 512MB chips meaning each box will need 16 of them. This is likely why we're not seen a PS4 chassis yet.

The current kinect is still at 120 euro with a copy of kinect adventures throw in by itself
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/10296372/Kinect-Including-Kinect-Adventures-/Product.html?searchstring=kinect&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search
    so the new improved Kinect 2.0 i can easily see being around the same if not dearer without the game throw in
    PS4 is hopefully packaged without the eye making it a good deal cheaper than xbox since the eye is optional, while microsoft can't cut down on either the kinect nor the 500gb hard drive,
    PS4 doesn't need the eye and you can replace the hard drive if they keep it the way PS3 has it meaning a cheaper console off the bat and
    you can upgrade the hard drive meaning they could ship with a lower hard drive to lower costs since very few will use 250 gbs inside 3-4 months i hope so since after a couple of months you can replace it with one of these
    Samsung M7 640GB 2.5 inch SATA II 8MB Cache, 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive OEM - Sony Playstation PS3 Compatible
    obviously just an example. there should be some catering to the PS4 and in bigger sizes to cope with the bigger game files when the PS4 comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

3 years into the life is when a 'slim' model will inevitably be dreamt up and introduced when miniaturisation kicks in. The initial outlay for GDDR5 ram will push prices up. Same way the cell chip did for PS3.

The only real reason for slim models is to stimulate sales and usually just involves jigging around hardware. It's still going to be the same ram and processor etc so they'll still be purchasing it but at a lower price slim model or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    The current kinect is still at 120 euro with a copy of kinect adventures throw in by itself
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/10296372/Kinect-Including-Kinect-Adventures-/Product.html?searchstring=kinect&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search
    so the new improved Kinect 2.0 i can easily see being around the same if not dearer without the game throw in

He's not talking about retail cost, he's talking about production cost...the price MS pay to have the kinect built, which is almost certainly nowhere near the retail cost (which includes various profit addons (ms/distributors/shop) as well as research related costs which MS would attempt to recoup. The hardware itself most likely costs a fraction of the retail cost.

• Advertisement

It isn't fair to just remove a part, say how much it sells for on its own and use that as a basis for anything. Take the 360 20 GB HDD. That was going for 100 euros on its own. Do you think that the price they charge for on its own was how much they factored in to the console itself? No. Something on its own like that they can mark up as it is cheaper... With it being on its own. Controllers cost 45-50. Does that mean that 45-50 was a factor in the retail price of the console? No.

He's not talking about retail cost, he's talking about production cost...the price MS pay to have the kinect built, which is almost certainly nowhere near the retail cost (which includes varies profit addons (ms/distributors/shop) as well as research related costs which MS would attempt to recoup. The hardware itself most likely costs a fraction of the retail cost.

ahh yeah, i misunderstood sorry :(

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It isn't fair to just remove a part, say how much it sells for on its own and use that as a basis for anything. Take the 360 20 GB HDD. That was going for 100 euros on its own. Do you think that the price they charge for on its own was how much they factored in to the console itself? No. Something on its own like that they can mark up as it is cheaper... With it being on its own. Controllers cost 45-50. Does that mean that 45-50 was a factor in the retail price of the console? No.

yeah, i jumped the gun on that one, i've been awake since 11 yesterday,
    sleep deprivation causes some serious thinking errors and reading comp goes through the floor. :pac:

yeah, i jumped the gun on that one, i've been awake since 11 yesterday,
    It's cool, been there.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It's cool, been there.

Yeah, it's not like there is a reason like studying for a test or anything, i just didn't go to bed until 4 (boards mainly your fault:pac:) couldn't sleep, got pissed off at 7 thought to myself " it's sunny, bright. birds are noisy as fck, sleep isn't coming, screw this i could be playing xbox/on boards etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

its more worrying that a company as big as microsoft will have access to your house via kinect constantly watching....possibly just for farming product information in relation to other appliances you use but for more sinister thoughts Id have to take it to the conspiracy theroy forum :D

Alex Jones wrote:
    You are being watched. Microsoft has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because the lizards built it. The lizards designed the machine to detect acts of playing rival systems, but it sees everything. People using any other product, people like you. Crimes Microsoft considered irrelevant. They wouldn't act, so the lizards decided they would. But they needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the Tin Foil Hat Brigade, they work in secret. You'll never find them, but victim or perpetrator, if your number's up... they'll find you.
    Perhaps not actually said by Alex Jones... Seriously, though, the conspiracy forum has got to be having a field day with this. On the off-chance it's not obvious, I don't take the conspiracy grumblings seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

circadian wrote: »
    The only real reason for slim models is to stimulate sales and usually just involves jigging around hardware. It's still going to be the same ram and processor etc so they'll still be purchasing it but at a lower price slim model or not.

They're not the same processors, the processors undergo major changes in die size throughout their life. While it does not need to be alongside a new form factor in no way does the system remain completely static.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Also I'm pretty sure that the eye is bundled with the PS4 to whoever was hoping it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

tok9 wrote: »
    Also I'm pretty sure that the eye is bundled with the PS4 to whoever was hoping it wasn't.

It was rumoured to be, but I don't think there was any official confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It was rumoured to be, but I don't think there was any official confirmation.

It's almost certain to be, given that it's needed for the motion control and controller identification functionality of the console. Plus it's a relatively cheap peripheral compared to the Kinect 2, so it shouldn't cost all that much extra for Sony to lob it in and still be €50 cheaper than Microsoft (€450 compared to Xbox One's €499, IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

did some lad seriously register xboxone.com before microsoft??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Arawn wrote: »

and xboxone.net XD theyl be getting a hefty bit of cash from microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Arawn wrote: »

Quick thinking.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    and xboxone.net XD theyl be getting a hefty bit of cash from microsoft

Or they do what Activision did and just take it, as this guy more than likely can't afford to even go go to trial to defend his ownership they'll just get it after he has to forfeit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Varik wrote: »
    Or they do what Activision did and just take it, as this guy more than likely can't afford to even go go to trial to defend his ownership they'll just get it after he has to forfeit it.

Microsoft are idiots for not registering it. Tough shít Microsoft you were too slow. All your own fault there. This case won't hold up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Varik wrote: »

The bad publicity from something like that isn't worth the money it would cost to buy the site off him.

1ZRed wrote: »
    Microsoft are idiots for not registering it. Tough shít Microsoft you were too slow. All your own fault there. This case won't hold up.

Activision did win when the same happened to them and were able to seize it from the owner, it might take a 2-3 months but MS will have it back before release.

The bad publicity from something like that isn't worth the money it would cost to buy the site off him.

it's non-news so it won't effect anything, and they've already filed the complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

1ZRed wrote: »

Course it will. Xbox one is a trademarked product, and unless the current owner can display some VERY good claims to legitimate ownership that don't amount to passing off, he'll lose his $9.99 registration fee as well as the domain

• Advertisement

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/m4yj8z/annoyed-gamer-xbox-one-reaction

I think this guy makes some pretty good points, explained some points better than i could, sucking at explaining things sucks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement