Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

COYVB wrote: »
    Course it will. Xbox one is a trademarked product, and unless the current owner can display some VERY good claims to legitimate ownership that don't amount to passing off, he'll lose his $9.99 registration fee as well as the domain

That's so stupid. If I register a domain it should be mine. Just cos they were fuktards in getting around to registering it doesn't mean it should be taken off me in a court case. You want it, you pay for it.

Otherwise be quicker off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

i-zBmWNnQ-950x10000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

1ZRed wrote: »
    That's so stupid. If I register a domain it should be mine. Just cos they were fuktards in getting around to registering it doesn't mean it should be taken off me in a court case. You want it, you pay for it.

Happened years ago with Wayne Rooney when some bloke saw him as a young lad and went and bought up a heap waynerooney.com and waynerooney.net domains. Had to forfeit as there was no legitimate reason for him to have them. Loads of precedents set here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The Xbox One will not be banned for jaysus sake. Mother of god, there has been some ****e posted in here in the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ryuji_w wrote: »
    EU court ruled against platforms like steam and oracle from preventing people from reselling physical and digital copies of the game they bought
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregvoakes/2012/07/03/european-courts-rule-in-favor-of-consumers-reselling-downloaded-games/
    so if Microsoft try something similar court case for them i would guess

also EU's entire privacy laws are being revised and updated to include social media like facebook and twitter so kinect 2.0 could be violating these considering it's an nearly always-on-camera(able to turn off camera privacy mode)but who knows how they'll feel about a microphone that's always on and recording
    http://www.mlawgroup.de/news/publications/detail.php?we_objectID=227

so yeah the xbox one could be banned. possibly

Most smart phones do all the above without permission's

Haven't seen any banned yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

1ZRed wrote: »

Sure why don't you go open up a shop and call it Tesco too, it'll be tough on them that they didn't buy that location first

EU court ruled against platforms like steam and oracle from preventing people from reselling physical and digital copies of the game they bought
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregvoakes/2012/07/03/european-courts-rule-in-favor-of-consumers-reselling-downloaded-games/
    so if Microsoft try something similar court case for them i would guess

MS aren't preventing people selling them, they're just making it so that anyone who buys them needs to pay an additional fee to add a license on their machine. Absolutely nothing stopping them buying the physical disc, which is precisely all that the previous owner is selling, since it's all that they own
    also EU's entire privacy laws are being revised and updated to include social media like facebook and twitter so kinect 2.0 could be violating these considering it's an nearly always-on-camera(able to turn off camera privacy mode)but who knows how they'll feel about a microphone that's always on and recording
    http://www.mlawgroup.de/news/publications/detail.php?we_objectID=227

so yeah the xbox one could be banned. possibly

This bit is nothing but speculation. The EU are changing something. It might change to something that might affect the thing that Xbox might be doing with their hardware. WTF like

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ryuji_w

This gave me a chuckle

alwaysonline_zpsf43f8c47.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

what will happen if someone gets an xbox one and goes on holidays for a week or 2? will they have to ask a friend to call to their house to turn it on once a day?:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    what will happen if someone gets an xbox one and goes on holidays for a week or 2? will they have to ask a friend to call to their house to turn it on once a day?:pac:

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Is it going to be like one of those Tamagotchi toys where you have to feed it once a day or it dies on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Is it going to be like one of those Tamagotchi toys where you have to feed it once a day or it dies on you?

No but if you don't tell it you love it at least once a day then it self combusts and tries to burn your house down.

In seriousness I still haven't seen any word on what happens if you can't set up the Kinect. Has there been any coverage? Because if it's anything like the 360 and Kinect 1.0 then a lot of people just aren't going to be able to use this console.

no

well thanks a bunch for clearing the whole "must be online once per 24 hours" thing when someone cannot simply do that at times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

well thanks a bunch for clearing the whole "must be online once per 24 hours" thing when someone cannot simply do that at times.

Why would it need to connect if no one is using it (your example was of someone going on holiday).

You aren't under the impression that if the X1 hasn't connected once every 24hrs that it will no longer work? (as in ever again) because I thought your were just making a silly joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

They haven't really said what will happen. I'd imagine though that nothing will happen really, just that the next time you turn on the console you'll be told that you have to connect before you're able to do anything else.

a) if it's plugged in it'll call home silently without being turned on
    b) if you're not there playing it and it's not plugged in, it doesn't matter if it calls home or not, because all that'll happen is that it'll lock itself out until it can call home again
    c) first thing that'll happen when you plug it in after you get back is that it'll call home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I heard that if you don't sign in on the Xbox One after 24hrs the kinect disconnects from the console, little propellers come out the top of it and it goes looking for you.

Why would it need to connect if no one is using it (your example was of someone going on holiday).

You aren't under the impression that if the X1 hasn't connected once every 24hrs that it will no longer work? (as in ever again) because I thought your were just making a silly joke.

of course not. u just didnt understand because its said you HAVE to connect it the internet every 24 hours. someone above explained it and now i know

ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

I heard that if you don't sign in on the Xbox One after 24hrs the kinect disconnects from the console, little propellers come out the top of it and it goes looking for you.

It's got a retractable leg so's it can leap up at you better. And you know what, it lights up at night and it's got four ears, two of them are for listening and the other two are kind of back-up ears. Its claws are as big as cups and for some reason, it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! It's got magnets on its tail, so's if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you and instead of a mouth, it's got four arses!

• Advertisement

ok then

smile. its a beautiful day man..

smile. its a beautiful day man..

I think you're reading into something that isn't there dude. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The infamous kotaku article was updated at some point and I hadn't noticed. Saw it posted elsewhere...
    Update: Sounds like things are a mess over at Microsoft. Now they're telling Polygon that Harrison's comments illustrate a "potential scenario."

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," a Microsoft rep said. "There have been reports of a specific time period — those were discussions of potential scenarios, but we have not confirmed any details today, nor will we be."
    So, it might be better than 24 hours. What, then? 48 hours? A week? Still not going to want a console with that 'feature'. The games will have to be so good that I can overlook it.

For God's sake, this was the thing they really needed to be the most clear about after all the always on rumours in the build up, and yet it's probably the thing they've done the worst job explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They need to check it off so that you can't sell a game and then keep the install usable for a long period. There are games that you could bring home install and trade in at a high price and keep the console offline long enough to finish the game if the time period was too long.

24hr is too short as if something goes wrong with your connection it likely to be fixed in a few days at most in normal circumstances, a week it too long.

Surely using the disc to verify the game that's installed makes the most sense.

Y'know, like it works now?

circadian wrote: »
    Surely using the disc to verify the game that's installed makes the most sense.

Y'know, like it works now?

But you can play the game without the disc. They're doing it so you can't just trade in the disc and continue playing the game. I'd have rather you didn't have to install and could just play from the disc though.

That's what I mean, have it so you can't play without the disc in. That's how it works now if you install a game. It runs the game from your HD and uses the disc as verification.

Also agree that running from disc makes sense. That hard drive will fill up quickly ripping all those blu-ray discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

circadian wrote: »
    That's what I mean, have it so you can't play without the disc in. That's how it works now if you install a game. It runs the game from your HD and uses the disc as verification.

Also agree that running from disc makes sense. That hard drive will fill up quickly ripping all those blu-ray discs.

I doubt they will allow you to rip blue-ray discs on a locked down console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I doubt they will allow you to rip blue-ray discs on a locked down console.

Why, what difference would it make as to how it works now? Yes you are copying the game but you still need the disc. Not exactly ripping it per se.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement