Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I doubt they will allow you to rip blue-ray discs on a locked down console.
    they already said all games are going to have to be installed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My son just pointed this out to me, the url for the xbox one reveal on the official xbox you tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HgsIf-ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Meesared wrote: »
    they already said all games are going to have to be installed

Nevermind, I thought it was about ripping movies that he was on about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    The infamous kotaku article was updated at some point and I hadn't noticed. Saw it posted elsewhere...

So, it might be better than 24 hours. What, then? 48 hours? A week? Still not going to want a console with that 'feature'. The games will have to be so good that I can overlook it.

Yeay, backtracking! there's hope yet...they're just conducting market research to see what's the worst case scenario that people would be willing to live with...Personally I like how it is now (on the 360/ps3).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lucky frank lives

ohhhhhhhhhhhh new elder scrolls aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhhhhhh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

More info coming in....

Games will be REGION LOCKED.

So anyone thinking they're going to get some nice deals on the internet are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Its obvious that Microsoft has been taken over by a Sony spy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

As has been predicted, the inevitable domain dispute.

http://www.inquisitr.com/676623/microsoft-files-dispute-against-owner-of-xboxone-com-and-xboxone-net/

I'm surprised how long the person has had the domain. Since December '11.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    As has been predicted, the inevitable domain dispute.

http://www.inquisitr.com/676623/microsoft-files-dispute-against-owner-of-xboxone-com-and-xboxone-net/

I'm surprised how long the person has had the domain. Since December '11.
    Good guess that was!

Not that it really matters, he will have to let go of it soon enough.

• Advertisement

Yousef wrote: »
    More info coming in....

Games will be REGION LOCKED.

So anyone thinking they're going to get some nice deals on the internet are out of luck.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Meesared wrote: »
    Source?

Well it's not surprising considering the 360 was region locked. If anyone thought that the one wouldn't be region locked then they are fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

arent all games region locked anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Nope, most PS3 games aren't.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Nope, most PS3 games aren't.

Id say Im getting confused from the old days, arent there 3 regions, usa (NTSC), europe (PAL) and whatever Japan was?

granted, I've no experience at all with the PS3 but I thought there was still an import market binging in japanese games for modified consoles?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ahhh region locking....another area where ios and android based games markets are winning :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

360 was not REGION LOCKED. It was a feature alright that publishers could use if they wanted but not for all titles AFAIK.

Xbox One will be 100% REGION LOCKED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The 360 console was region locked, however a lot of games were region free meaning they'd play on any region console.

360 was not REGION LOCKED. It was a feature alright that publishers could use if they wanted but not for all titles AFAIK.

I read it as they are following the Xbox 360 precedent, that it will be up to publishers to region lock games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

ohhhhhhhhhhhh new elder scrolls aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahhhhhhh

Explain yourself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MS aren't bocking the sale of second hand games so won't be banned for that. If it violates anything it's the first sale doctrine which states that a copyright holder can only make money from the first sale of an item and aren't entitles to make any money from subsequent second hand sales. However I'm sure there's loop holes there like the fact that it's a license with software and they can put the fee they get from a second hand sale down to a 'service' they provide to remove it from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CVG wrote:
    Xbox One will retain the region restrictions that feature in the Xbox 360, it has been confirmed. Region restrictions apply to both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and Microsoft plans to keep the system in its forthcoming Xbox One.

This seems to indicate that it will be the same as previous generations - down to the publisher or developer if they want to region lock games or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I adore my 360, wouldn't dream of getting a PS3 instead, but the reports and complaints and complete lack of gaming focus has me worried.

I adore my 360, wouldn't dream of getting a PS3 instead, but the reports and complaints and complete lack of gaming focus has me worried.
    They seem to be holding games back until E3, so I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

? You wouldn't get a PS3 instead? Consoles aren't an either/or proposition. You could always get a PS3 in addition to the 360. I got one relatively recently. This year type thing. There are definitely enough games on either platform to justify a purchase from my perspective at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Felexicon

MOD EDIT: I'm all on for a few jokes but none that are potentially libelous.

hE3F19C1B

really though? I reckon everyone needs to just calm down and sit back until more details are made clear. and at the end of the day, if you dont like what the product is, you dont buy it. simples.

and dont go spouting sony la, da, da. they've been equally as cagey on their specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

really though? I reckon everyone needs to just calm down and sit back until more details are made clear. and at the end of the day, if you dont like what the product is, you dont buy it. simples.

and dont go spouting sony la, da, da. they've been equally as cagey on their specs.

I don't think anyone is really "spouting sony".

Anyway let's forget about sony, judge the xbox one on it's own.

It's as anti consumer as you can get so the only reason I can see why people are defending it is because of a misguided loyalty to microsoft and xbox.

We are the consumers, microsoft should be building a product that we want but they are pandering to the big publishers and limiting and restricting the console.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement