Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't think anyone is really "spouting sony".

Anyway let's forget about sony, judge the xbox one on it's own.

It's as anti consumer as you can get so the only reason I can see why people are defending it is because of a misguided loyalty to microsoft and xbox.

We are the consumers, microsoft should be building a product that we want but they are pandering to the big publishers and limiting and restricting the console.

Ah no, what I mean is its hard for people to just say "buy a ps4" if you dont like it, cause no one knows what all the facts are.

I've been gaming since the commodore 64, I remember when we used to argue whether it was better than the amstrad 464, then it was the megadrive against the snes, then the playstation vs the N64, then PS2 vs Gamecube Vs Xbox.

I've never seen a social demographic quite like gamers - they will defend their chosen platform to the death, regardless of what it is. as you get older you just kind of become numb to all that nonsense.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It's as anti consumer as you can get so the only reason I can see why people are defending it is because of a misguided loyalty to microsoft and xbox.

I think there's fewer people defending the xbox than people who are just trying to counter the outrage and bullshít and wait for the details to be confirmed and worked out.

Read through the thread and you'll see plenty of inaccuracies, half-truths, knee-jerking and faux-outrage over sketchy, unconfirmed and inadequate details.

Today alone we saw statements like "100% REGION LOCKED" - followed by a link to back it up which said it was going to be like the 360 - publisher-decided.

I'm certainly losing interest in the console as the days go on based on the tidbits of information available - the most worrying of which is the always-on camera and mic in the kinect. Until MS answer our fears on that one though with some concrete and satisfactory details I'll keep my indignant outrage at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't think anyone is really "spouting sony".

Anyway let's forget about sony, judge the xbox one on it's own.

We are the consumers, microsoft should be building a product that we want but they are pandering to the big publishers and limiting and restricting the console.
    They haven't built the console that YOU wanted. It remains to be seen if it's what other people want but it's a bit presumptuous to suggest that what you want is what everyone wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Read through the thread and you'll see plenty of inaccuracies, half-truths, knee-jerking and faux-outrage over sketchy, unconfirmed and inadequate details.

Today alone we saw statements like "100% REGION LOCKED" - followed by a link to back it up which said it was going to be like the 360 - publisher-decided.

This region locking thing is a non issue, the 360 is region locked, the PS3 is region locked, most consoles are region locked. It's the games themselves which are region free. For instance, why would a region locked PS3 game refuse to run on a PS3? If the region of the console, does not match the region of the game, no can play.

The One, is no different. It will have a native region, in our case PAL. If a publisher signs a game off for a certain region, other than PAL, the game won't play. If the publisher makes the game region free, any region One will play it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

EnterNow wrote: »
    the PS3 is region locked, most consoles are region locked. It's the games themselves which are region free. For instance, why would a region locked PS3 game refuse to run on a PS3? If the region of the console, does not match the region of the game, no can play.

The One, is no different. It will have a native region, in our case PAL. If a publisher signs a game off for a certain region, other than PAL, the game won't play. If the publisher makes the game region free, any region One will play it

If that were the case, and MS weren't pushing companies not to release RF games, then why would they have come out and said that the system will be region locked? They'd have been far more consumer friendly with it and said it'll be up to publishers. That's the curious thing that sticks out about it. That suggests one of 2 things to me

1) they're going to force publishers to region lock all releases

2) they've got the single most clueless PR and marketing people I've ever seen

Good chance it's 2, but I certainly wouldn't be ruling 1 out at this point

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Just to be a pedant, no-one in this thread said what you have quoted, hope you enjoy the irony as much as I did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They haven't built the console that YOU wanted. It remains to be seen if it's what other people want but it's a bit presumptuous to suggest that what you want is what everyone wants.

I think the general consensus thus far is that this isn't a console that gamers want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

COYVB wrote: »
    If that were the case, and MS weren't pushing companies not to release RF games, then why would they have come out and said that the system will be region locked? They'd have been far more consumer friendly with it and said it'll be up to publishers. That's the curious thing that sticks out about it. That suggests one of 2 things to me

1) they're going to force publishers to region lock all releases

2) they've got the single most clueless PR and marketing people I've ever seen

Good chance it's 2, but I certainly wouldn't be ruling 1 out at this point

True enough, I won't rule out 1 either. But don't forget, if you ask MS the same question about the 360, they'll tell you the same thing, it's region locked :)

I think the general consensus thus far is that this isn't a console that gamers want

I'm a gamer and I'm still very open to this, as much as I am to PS4 (I have both this gen, PS3 was the first). It will also sell by the truckload. So again, just because it's not the console you or some others wanted doesn't mean that this is a correct statement:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm a gamer and I'm still very open to this, as much as I am to PS4 (I have both this gen, PS3 was the first). It will also sell by the truckload. So again, just because it's not the console you or some others wanted doesn't mean that this is a correct statement:

My statement is correct. I never said all gamers don't want it, I said it was anti consumer, big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just to be a pedant, no-one in this thread said what you have quoted, hope you enjoy the irony as much as I did :)

Not pedantic enough it seems.
    Yousef wrote: »
    360 was not REGION LOCKED. It was a feature alright that publishers could use if they wanted but not for all titles AFAIK.

Xbox One will be 100% REGION LOCKED.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not pedantic enough it seems.

hahaha :pac:

My statement is correct. I never said all gamers don't want it, I said it was anti consumer, big difference.

What did you say after the anti-consumer part? It's literally in the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What did you say after the anti-consumer part? It's literally in the post you quoted.

I never said that all gamers don't want the console, I said microsoft should make a console that all gamers want. There is a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

I never said that all gamers don't want the console, I said microsoft should make a console that all gamers want. There is a difference.

I guess that depends on what market Microsoft are aiming for. People that want a media centre that can play games or people who want a games console that can stream netflix/sky etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

circadian wrote: »
    I guess that depends on what market Microsoft are aiming for. People that want a media centre that can play games or people who want a games console that can stream netflix/sky etc.

I'd wager that at least 90% of the market want to be able to access Netflix/Sky etc. MS know that people go crazy for the extras.

The reason this console will fail is that there seems to be too much focus away from what the product actually is (or isn't) which is a games console. Everybody wants cutting edge features and MS think that the Xbox One provides that. The problem for me is that I don't care about the Kinect, or the Move for that matter. They both suck.

The only difference for me at the moment is that Sony's console at the minute appears to be more powerful and focused towards gamers. Right now I'm leaning towards a PS4 but I'm massively underwhelmed by both projects at the minute. Both companies could do a lot more but MS are focusing more and more towards a market that I'm trying to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

these 1 hour launches that they both did were stupid. they should have done a big event that answered everyones questions instead of opening the whole thing up for debating and speculation. instead they have to play cagey to see what peoples response to things like always on, secondhand games etc were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

these 1 hour launches that they both did were stupid. they should have done a big event that answered everyones questions instead of opening the whole thing up for debating and speculation. instead they have to play cagey to see what peoples response to things like always on, secondhand games etc were.

Sony's launch was 2.5 hours, and I guess they weren't as pressed to release as much information as Microsoft due to it being a lot earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Oh right even though no one has seen a single game for either console????
    Gamers really are an odd bunch.

Microsoft go and announce a new Halo/skyrim type game at E3 and the ability to do some game processing in the cloud without lag and all of a sudden "gamers" will be saying this is the greatest thing thats ever been created and there will be queues a mile long for the thing.

Im an adult so instead of saying the console is brilliant/brutal ill wait till I see some actual game footage and read reviews of people who have actually used it before I start slating a console people know next to nothing about. Graphics are a bonus but I want great games, Microsoft has an amazing track record of releasing them for the Xbox360 so despite the negative press im happy to give them some time to see what they produce. Same is true for PS4 and if both are compelling ill gladly shell out for the two consoles.

Its 6 months till launch for crying out loud! Roll on E3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Oh right even though no one has seen a single game for either console????
    Gamers really are an odd bunch.

Microsoft go and announce a new Halo/skyrim type game at E3 and the ability to do some game processing in the cloud without lag and all of a sudden "gamers" will be saying this is the greatest thing thats ever been created and there will be queues a mile long for the thing.

Im an adult so instead of saying the console is brilliant/brutal ill wait till I see some actual game footage and read reviews of people who have actually used it before I start slating a console people know next to nothing about. Graphics are a bonus but I want great games, Microsoft has an amazing track record of releasing them for the Xbox360 so despite the negative press im happy to give them some time to see what they produce. Same is true for PS4 and if both are compelling ill gladly shell out for the two consoles.

Its 6 months till launch for crying out loud! Roll on E3

Saw enough of Watchdogs to incline me towards PS4. Saw nothing from Xbox One.

Also Microsoft doesn't have a great track record with releasing games. They get all the multiplatform stuff sure but what really interesting exclusives do they have? Halo, Gears and Forza? Much of the same from each them for years.

PS3 has Journey, Tokyo Jungle and Last of Us that I would like to play. And that's just off the top of my head.

In strict gaming terms MS has been slowly losing for this entire generation. However I believe that's okay. They don't want a pure gaming machine and I don't think they want to compete with Sony. MS are looking at Apple and they want a piece of that. Both the money and the control that Apple has.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »

Also Microsoft doesn't have a great track record with releasing games. They get all the multiplatform stuff sure but what really interesting exclusives do they have? Halo, Gears and Forza? Much of the same from each them for years.

PS3 has Journey, Tokyo Jungle and Last of Us that I would like to play. And that's just off the top of my head.

In strict gaming terms MS has been slowly losing for this entire generation. However I believe that's okay. They don't want a pure gaming machine and I don't think they want to compete with Sony. MS are looking at Apple and they want a piece of that. Both the money and the control that Apple has.

Multiplaform makes sense for a publisher, not great for a gamer. As the price of development keeps soaring for new games, there will likely be less and less exclusives.
    I have both a PS3 and an Xbox360 off the top of my head these are really the only exclusives I can think of (because I actually bought them)

Xbox
    Halo 3
    Dead Rising 2
    Gears of War 2
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Crackdown
    Fable 2
    Lost Odyssey
    Project Gotham Racing 3
    Alan Wake

PS3
    Uncharted
    Resistance
    Little Big Planet
    God of war
    Daemon Souls
    Gran Turismo 5

The EA tie up with Microsoft will be very interesting, I assume no self respecting "hardcore gamer" (whatever that is supposed to be) would count Madden or Fifa as great games but if there is a substantial difference across the consoles then that itself will push me in one direction. For me this means content, extra features etc rather than 5% better graphics on one console or the other.

Also no one has mentioned this but a big winner in all of this could be PC gamers. Now it is hassle free to just release a PS4 game on PC as the architecture is more or less the same. That has never happened before, fingers cross as there is nothing like playing an RPG with a keyboard and mouse. Who knows, in a few years you might be able to emulate the OS on a PC and not need the hardware at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

watchdogs is on all platforms isnt it? so how can that one game be making you choose ps4
    by the way
    watchdogs was shown on a PC at sonys press conference :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    watchdogs is on all platforms isnt it? so how can that one game be making you choose ps4
    by the way
    watchdogs was shown on a PC at sonys press conference :pac:

The concept is enough to sell me tbh. AKAIK it's going to be PS4 exclusive.

Just checked and I was wrong. It's coming out everything :D Good news for me.

Funny that, pretty much just showing at PS4 launch was enough to make me think it was exlusive. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The concept is enough to sell me tbh. AKAIK it's going to be PS4 exclusive.

Just checked and I was wrong. It's coming out everything :D Good news for me.

Funny that, pretty much just showing at PS4 launch was enough to make me think it was exlusive. Interesting.
    Its going to be multiplatform, they said when they announced it at E3 that it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Watchdogs is on the Xbox one too and what you saw at the ps4 conference was pc footage

The thing is they dont need to compete with sony head to head. Sony are ****ed unless they completely overhaul the company. almost every division apart from Playstation is haemorrhaging money. all MS need to do is wait and see

MS dont need to kill Sony. Korean electronics is doing that for them
    Multiplaform makes sense for a publisher, not great for a gamer. As the price of development keeps soaring for new games, there will likely be less and less exclusives.
    I have both a PS3 and an Xbox360 off the top of my head these are really the only exclusives I can think of (because I actually bought them)

The EA tie up with Microsoft will be very interesting, I assume no self respecting "hardcore gamer" (whatever that is supposed to be) would count Madden or Fifa as great games but if there is a substantial difference across the consoles then that itself will push me in one direction. For me this means content, extra features etc rather than 5% better graphics on one console or the other.

Also no one has mentioned this but a big winner in all of this could be PC gamers. Now it is hassle free to just release a PS4 game on PC as the architecture is more or less the same. That has never happened before, fingers cross as there is nothing like playing an RPG with a keyboard and mouse. Who knows, in a few years you might be able to emulate the OS on a PC and not need the hardware at all

Less and less exclusives is great for the gamer imo. The only game i wanted to play on PS3 was journey but im not going to drop €200 on a console to play a €15(?) game. If that was multi i would have got the chance to play it. Exclusives are only good for console makers and fanboys

Sony will lose their grasp on japanese devs with the ps4 solely because it should be very easy for them to port to all platforms and Japanese developers have noticed how well dark souls did and it will end up that they cant afford to stay loyal to sony

I also really hate the whole "hardcore Gamer" ****ting on sports games. FIFA has come on leaps and bounds since 06 and more or less every game improves on the last (some years moreso than others). It may not be noticeable at a quick glance but when you put 60+ hour in you notice every bug in the game and they usually fix all them

NTMK wrote: »
    I also really hate the whole "hardcore Gamer" ****ting on sports games. FIFA has come on leaps and bounds since 06 and more or less every game improves on the last (some years moreso than others). It may not be noticeable at a quick glance but when you put 60+ hour in you notice every bug in the game and they usually fix all them

I love games, FPS, RPGs, Strategy etc but for me Fifa is the reason I (along with millions like me) will be buying a next gen console. If MS secure exclusive content then im sold on the Xbox one.

I dont care about second hand games costing money, money is better off in a developers pocket than gamestops.
    I dont care about loaning games to my friends as I rarely do it.
    I dont care about connecting my xbox online 24/7 as it is anyway.
    I also am not paranoid about kinect "spying on me", it wont and Sony will also be shipping the Eye with its console and there is no one here whinging about that.
    I want a huge range of games, an online system that works and a controller that feels comfortable. Everything else is secondary.

As for hardcore gamers there is a 120million console install base across PS and Xbox, how many are "hardcore gamers" ? A few million? Doesnt matter to either company if a niche decides they dont like its console providing the mainstream buys it in droves which they no doubt will.

Ball is in your court now Microsoft/Sony, games and content will win my money along with the majority of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I love games, FPS, RPGs, Strategy etc but for me Fifa is the reason I (along with millions like me) will be buying a next gen console. If MS secure exclusive content then im sold on the Xbox one.

I dont care about second hand games costing money, money is better off in a developers pocket than gamestops.
    I also am not paranoid about kinect "spying on me", it wont and Sony will also be shipping the Eye with its console and there is no one here whinging about that.

I want a huge range of games, an online system that works and a controller that feels comfortable. Everything else is secondary.

As for hardcore gamers there is a 120million console install base across PS and Xbox, how many are "hardcore gamers" ? A few million? Doesnt matter to either company if a niche decides they dont like its console providing the mainstream buys it in droves which they no doubt will.

Ball is in your court now Microsoft/Sony, games and content will win my money along with the majority of others
    I'd imagine you are in a minority there to not care about any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've traded in a grand total of 1 game in the life time of this console gen and that was because I had 2 copies of it.

I've not lent anyone any games since the PS2 days because everyone everywhere is a disc scratching/losing *******.

I'm online all the time anyway, as long as it can take short downtime as seems to be the case it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Interesting stance. So you are willing to ignore all the anti consumer/Gamer policies as long as Fifa has DLC that they sell to you on the Xbox....

What about the DLC that will inevitably end up on the PS4 (In all likelihood the Xbox DLC will be timed exclusive or there will be additional DLC for the PS4) will you be changing your mind then since all the other stuff doesn't bother you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

tbh the people who are vehemently against it are the minority. the vast majority of console buyers dont care if you have an xbox open up your friends list and you'll see most people are watching netflix/sky player/etc

I know so many people that are using the console as a tv box.

Core gamers are a minority on consoles, its one of the reasons i switched to pc tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement