Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Interesting stance. So you are willing to ignore all the anti consumer policies as long as Fifa has DLC that they sell to you on the Xbox....

What about the DLC that will inevitably end up on the PS4 (In all likelihood the Xbox DLC will be timed exclusive or there will be additional DLC for the PS4) will you be changing your mind then since all the other stuff doesn't bother you?

Pretty much ya to be honest. Anti consumer in what way exactly?
    A system that kills gamestop and shares the profits they would make between the console maker and original publisher is a good thing in my eyes. This is assuming they dont gouge and abuse the pricing system. In fairness they cant make it much worse than the service gamestop had been offering. More money for publishers hopefully means more games. Apple refuses to let you share your music in a much stricter sense than this DRM yet people dont care. Storm in a tea cup in my eyes. As is the always online issue, Xbox live has 47 million subscribers, these people connect using broadband so they obviously have little issue with something that seems to be causing uproar among websites.

Xbox has also had far superior DLC for the simple reason Microsoft threw money at publishers to secure it. I cannot see any reason why this wont continue given the EA partnership.

People will whinge and complain as they always have done but they will still buy the consoles providing the content is compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Xbox has also had far superior DLC for the simple reason Microsoft threw money at publishers to secure it. I cannot see any reason why this wont continue given the EA partnership.

What, superior how exactly. Xbox gets some stuff earlier than the PS and that's about it. It's still the same content no matter how you cut it.

EA put Battlefield 3 DLC first on PS due to their partnership but that's now over. Activistion put CoD DLC first on Xbox but so. At the end it's all the same. Yes there were some problems with Skyrim DLC for PS due to technical issues but they got sorted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Honestly don't care which minority/majority side I happen to be on (this thing has to sell before that can be determined) and at the end of the day a lost sale is a lost sale, I'm waiting on what sony does next as I'm mostly siding with them this time around - but they could quite easily make a big a balls of things as MS have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

NTMK wrote: »
    tbh the people who are vehemently against it are the minority. the vast majority of console buyers dont care if you have an xbox open up your friends list and you'll see most people are watching netflix/sky player/etc

I know so many people that are using the console as a tv box.

Core gamers are a a minority on consoles, its one of the reasons i switched to pc tbh
    I don't buy that at all. Xbox and Playstation users want games. You've got smart tv's and Apple tv's and any number of other options for the media stuff.

The reason you have so many people watching Netflix and Sky player is because they already have the machines and they are inexpensive. You're not going to get those same people to go out and spend the guts of €400/500 on a new machine to watch the same stuff they already can watch on the current gen. It's gaming that will sell these consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

tbh the people who are vehemently against it are the minority. the vast majority of console buyers dont care if you have an xbox open up your friends list and you'll see most people are watching netflix/sky player/etc

I know so many people that are using the console as a tv box.

Core gamers are a minority on consoles, its one of the reasons i switched to pc tbh

The problem with saying that is it's the minority that are most likely to be the early adapters and push sales through word of month.

At least that's the way I see it but then I'm not getting millions from Microsoft.

The more I think about it the more I realise that I just don't more power in the hands of publishers. They seem to be morons.

I mean this is the direction they want to go with Dark Souls :
    "We're going to go guns-blazing with it, and hope to God that it works," he continued. "We're going after people who love and adore Dark Souls, while hopefully widening the net a little. I'm not saying that every Skyrim player's going to be jumping on Dark Souls, but it would be nice if some of them did. It's a different game, sure."

Why can't they just keep it as the game it is and not try to turn Dark Souls in COD? Like they tried to turn Dead Space into an action game because the horror genre wasn't big enough for the sales they wanted. Again why not just keep it as a mid range title. Keep the budget modest, keep the price modest, granted it keeps the profits modest but hey they might have made some profits.

But of course gamers aren't much better. Remember the MW2 boycott, so I guess one group deserves the other.

Sorry for the rambling, just working through my thoughts.

• Advertisement

A system that kills gamestop and shares the profits they would make between the console maker and original publisher is a good thing in my eyes.
    That's bad news for the consumer.
    Bioshock Infinite for example. Finished it in a few evenings play, there is no replay value in it at all IMO once you know the story, there's no multiplayer. Trading in or selling on is a good option to have for those situations.

There's so many games out there that can be finished in 3 or 4 evenings, less in some cases, with no online features or online features that you're not interested in.

I don't buy that at all. Xbox and Playstation users want games. You've got smart tv's and Apple tv's and any number of other options for the media stuff.

The reason you have so many people watching Netflix and Sky player is because they already have the machines and they are inexpensive. You're not going to get those same people to go out and spend the guts of €400/500 on a new machine to watch the same stuff they already can watch on the current gen. It's gaming that will sell these consoles.

Microsoft would disagree (article from a year ago but this trend has accelerated). More people spend their time on xbox live watching tv/videos than playing games. No doubt it doesnt include single player games but is a trend that cannot be ignored. People want to be able to play games and to be entertained.
    Yusuf Mehdi, who heads up marketing and strategy for Microsoft's Xbox business, said households now spend an average of 84 hours a month on the Xbox Live online service playing games, watching videos and listening to music. That's up 30% from a year ago. Just over half that time is spent on videos

Microsoft would disagree (article from a year ago but this trend has accelerated). More people spend their time on xbox live watching tv/videos than playing games. No doubt it doesnt include single player games but is a trend that cannot be ignored. People want to be able to play games and to be entertained.
    As I said, the hardware is already there. I watch a lot of Netflix and I will always watch it on console but only because I already have the console that I bought for gaming. I would not be shelling out big money on a new one just to watch the same Netflix service I can already watch on the current one, it will be the gaming end of things that will sway me on that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'll put my hand up and say that my XBOX is used just as much for TV as it is gaming. Netflix, Sky, Xbox Video etc.

However, there is nothing here that ties me to XBox as a brand. I'm only using these programs on XBox because it's my main gaming platform.

That's true but how of consoles were bought for entertainment as opposed to games? I spend at least as much time on my Xbox using Netflix as gaming but that's because the Xbox is currently the handiest way for me to watch Netflix. It has no influence on my decision to purchase or not purchase the console.

Am I missing it or is the mandatory Kinect getting a fairly free ride beyond the privacy concerns? It looks like it's going to need to be hooked and working. So this means that it's physically going to restrict who can own the Xbox One. Small room? Nope. Got coffee table? Gotta move it. Multitude of other ways that Kinect can't set itself up. No X1 for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I reckon if the Xbox was made by a small independent gaming company then the one is seem as the future and revolutionary games console, the fact that it's Microsoft people feel it's anti gamers, anti consumers and that they are money grabbing hoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Orim wrote: »
    The problem with saying that is it's the minority that are most likely to be the early adapters and push sales through word of month.

At least that's the way I see it but then I'm not getting millions from Microsoft.

The more I think about it the more I realise that I just don't more power in the hands of publishers. They seem to be morons.
    I used to agree with you but we're at a point in time where your average consumer will drop €300+ on tablets and phones. look at apple as evidence.

as for the dark souls interview, i hope that was down to a mistranslation Namco arent EA/Activison so i dont see them turning it into a bro game:pac:

I think he was saying that they would like more success with it but ill reserve judgement until it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Pretty much ya to be honest. Anti consumer in what way exactly?
    A system that kills gamestop and shares the profits they would make between the console maker and original publisher is a good thing in my eyes. This is assuming they dont gouge and abuse the pricing system. In fairness they cant make it much worse than the service gamestop had been offering. More money for publishers hopefully means more games. Apple refuses to let you share your music in a much stricter sense than this DRM yet people dont care. Storm in a tea cup in my eyes. As is the always online issue, Xbox live has 47 million subscribers, these people connect using broadband so they obviously have little issue with something that seems to be causing uproar among websites.

People will whinge and complain as they always have done but they will still buy the consoles providing the content is compelling.

Ok I will give it a shot. Nearly all these issues are a concious decision made by Microsoft. Sony has not confirmed some of these for the PS4 but they have set a precedent with the PS3.

Hardware
    -Proprietary hardware only being supported(Headsets etc..)
    -No option to expand the internal storage or update the HDD with a SSD
    -Controller still using external battery packs
    -No option to Disconnect the Kinect.
    -Large external power Supply(Nearly every piece of electronics nowadays has these incorporated)
    -Only 5GB of Memory reserved for games
    -Subpar GPU and CPU(Don't know the CPU spec exactly because it is their own custom built, likely being customised to allow more efficient splitting of CPU resources between the 3 OS, leading to fewer CPU cycles being utilised for games)
    -Only HDMI output

Policy Issues
    -DRM that "Phones home" every 24 hours to enforce their used games policy
    -Focus on paid subscription services such as Xbox live(All their competitors use a free service) and ESPN sports when consumers are moving towards content on demand
    -Forced online activation of games
    -No self publishing for Indie Developers
    -No attempt to incorporate some form of backwards compatibility, even for XBLA titles.
    -Mandatory installs

I have probably missed a few. Now with the noises coming from development studios, it seems that many will be focusing on the PS4 for games. If this turns out to be the case it will end up being the publishers pushing for content on the Xbox one which is never a good thing. Being told you have to create content for a subpar system by your publisher will lead to resources being diverted away from getting the best out of your product.

As for your point about the used game fee, most of this money will not end up in the developers hands. It may indirectly get to a developer to develop new content but you can be sure that the publisher will be covering their costs first and foremost. I am not defending retailers in any way, they certainly enforced anti developer policies for used games in this gen but shifting the profits to the publisher, while in no way allowing self publishing for developers is not much better in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Does the Kinect actually have to "see" you for the xbox to work? Could you just turn it around? It is a very strange decision by MS, I wouldn't be comfortable with it being in my front room and recording everything I'm saying and doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Am I missing it or is the mandatory Kinect getting a fairly free ride beyond the privacy concerns?
    I read this last night a bit before calling it a night...

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-owners-will-be-able-to-turn-off-kinect-2-camera
    It looks like it's going to need to be hooked and working. So this means that it's physically going to restrict who can own the Xbox One. Small room? Nope. Got coffee table? Gotta move it. Multitude of other ways that Kinect can't set itself up. No X1 for you.
    Being able to turn off Kinect kinda puts a dent in that content DRM of restricting numbers. Or buying a licence for a certain number of people. As for aspects of your room, I don't expect that to be the case. On what basis are you making such speculations?
    Hardware
    -Proprietary hardware only being supported(Headsets etc..) Turtle Beach will be doing headsets first, others later http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/microsoft-taps-turtle-beach-for-xbox-one-headsets
    -No option to expand the internal storage or update the HDD with a SSD You can use an external HDD, can you not?
    -Controller still using external battery packs It'll be the same system as this time around, I expect. No issue.
    -No option to Disconnect the Kinect. See above.
    -Large external power Supply(Nearly every piece of electronics nowadays has these incorporated) In theory, it helps reliablility. I'd hate to see how the 360 would have looked had it gone the other way.
    -Only 5GB of Memory reserved for games It's ridiculous, indeed.
    -Subpar GPU and CPU(Don't know the CPU spec exactly because it is their own custom built, likely being customised to allow more efficient splitting of CPU resources between the 3 OS, leading to fewer CPU cycles being utilised for games) Agreed.
    -Only HDMI output ? So?
    Policy Issues
    -DRM that "Phones home" every 24 hours to enforce their used games policy The 24 hours has been backtracked on, but I can't see it being much better. My biggest issue with the reveal/post reveal.
    -No attempt to incorporate some form of backwards compatibility, even for XBLA titles. Why would it work for XBLA titles when it doesn't work for disc?
    -Mandatory installs Necessary. Blu-ray are great for data storage, not so great for read speeds.

I used to agree with you but we're at a point in time where your average consumer will drop €300+ on tablets and phones. look at apple as evidence.

True to an extent but they weren't doing it at the start. Plus Apple is somewhat anomalous in the kind of brand loyalty it has inspired. Look at the fact ipod is now synonymous with mp3 player, at least in most people's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The problem is that Microsoft have so many answers "That will be revealed in the coming months / soon / later / at E3 / before launch" that it's just a breeding ground for uncertainty and doubt.

For example:
    - No self publishing for Indie Developers

From a Yahoo Chat with Major Nelson (Link)
    4:17 Comment From Sam
    What are Microsoft doing to welcome smaller, independent developers to the Xbox One?

4:20 Major Nelson (Larry Hryb):
    We're working on a plan for Xbox One is a platform that allows all creators, including those who work on games and apps, regardless of team size, funding, biz model, etc. to be a part of the future of Xbox One.

And to NBC News they gave a variation on this theme (here)
    Xbox pioneered digital distribution of console games with Xbox LIVE Arcade opening up the console to entirely new classes of independent developers. Later, we introduced Xbox LIVE Indie Games to provide an outlet for the hobbyist creator. Xbox One is a platform that allows all creators, including those who work on games and apps, regardless of team size, funding, business model, etc. to take advantage of unique capabilities to build amazing experiences that push the limits of technology. We are committed to ensuring all Xbox platforms are the best platforms to help developers realize their visions and we look forward to sharing more details later.

Sony are opting for the 'lets stay quiet and let MS take all the flak' approach.

Meanwhile Nintendo went for the "lets release a console with five-year-old tech in it" method.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Hardware
    -Controller still using external battery packs - why is this a bad thing? When batteries inevitably lose their charging capabilities you can replace them. Inbuilt batteries means replacing the whole controller.

-Large external power Supply(Nearly every piece of electronics nowadays has these incorporated) - Has to go somewhere. I personally (and I'd say many others will agree) believe that the space is best taken up behind a cabinet amongst an ocean of wires and plugs than inside a cabinet in a much bigger case.

-Subpar GPU and CPU(Don't know the CPU spec exactly because it is their own custom built, likely being customised to allow more efficient splitting of CPU resources between the 3 OS, leading to fewer CPU cycles being utilised for games) - You say it's subpar before saying you don't know about it before speculating on the ins and outs of the processor cycles?

-Only HDMI output - It's a HD console designed for the HD generation. Maintaining legacy connections blocks innovation and increases costs. There are also a myriad of adaptors available for those users who insist on using component or SCART (shudder) options.

Policy Issues

-DRM that "Phones home" every 24 hours to enforce their used games policy. I despise DRM. But I understand it. I wish they wouldn't use it but I understand why they want to wipe out the piracy market. As always it will only inconvenience paying customers though so I wish a more innovative approach was developed.

-Focus on paid subscription services such as Xbox live(All their competitors use a free service) and ESPN sports when consumers are moving towards content on demand. - All of their competitors services don't match up. I pay for Xbox Live Gold now. Don't you? If you don't then fair enough. If you do though then you can't really complain as nothing will change for you.

-Forced online activation of games - Did you cover this with the DRM above?

-No attempt to incorporate some form of backwards compatibility, even for XBLA titles. - See the legacy issue above. Different architecture means requiring a software emulator - buggy, expensive and holds back the console for a vast minority of gamers who will play last-gen games.

-Mandatory installs - Would you rather the alternative of longer loading times, noisier operation and having to swap discs out? I wouldn't. I doubt many gamers who are usually go to huge lengths to reduce all of the above would either.

If you missed anything it would be the privacy issues surround the always-on kinect.

I'll be accused of defending MS again given the above but I can assure you I'm not too excited about the Xbox One as it stands either. But I'm not ruling anything out until all our questions are answered and we've seen some actual games and hands-on previews from gaming sites. At the moment spending 400 euro on a PC upgrade looks the most likely outcome for me personally but that could change with more details about the games. My 360 is permanently hooked up to the internet as it stands and I don't buy used games. Not being able to swap a game with a mate will sicken me the most - during silly season we would typically buy one of the major releases each and exchange them but this may come to an end so I may continue to rely on PC gaming and the odd Steam Sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

the reason im buying the xbox one is because its all in one entertainment system :L i like how they phrased it haha

but ya im buying it because of that
    i dont have sky in my room, or a decent pc to stream netflix
    on top of that oher apps which arnt available on the ps3 and only on the xbox

id prefer an all in one, it saves me from switching over constantly and going up and down stairs to watch tv

and to just swap at the switch of a button to play a game as well

i like the direction their heading , their are faults of course, but what console doesnt come with downsides
    il be buying the xbox one unless sony can offer me the same services with less faults

if a console can play a game and do other stuff like watch sky and all
    well then it makes a bigger appeal to more audiences

i dont get why people are moaning about it not being a gaming console
    sure id agree with you if it didnt play games but it does
    so your arguement is invalid, it can play as many games as the ps3, each console has exclusives , but exclusives are all based on opinions of players , i like some exclusives the xbox offers but id like to play demon souls as well but its not available on the xbox

each has their advantages but to say the next xbox is not a gaming console (some people have said this) is just crazy haha its not just a gaming console, its everything else as well

im not an xbox fanboy, i like sony as well, they created the ps1 which was my first console and i enjoyed every minute of it, it was apart of my childhood
    but to basicly say at this point IM NOT GETTING THE NEXT XBOX is funny because you dont even know what the ps4 is about yet
    for all you know they could be heading the same direction as the xbox

its way to early to tell which is better for you
    theirs no such thing as xbox is better then playstation
    playstation is better then xbox
    because they both have their own advantages and disadvantages
    they both have their own directions, their own exclusives , but at the end of the day, their both gaming consoles in their simplest forms, its what they were made for, everything else is a nice added bonus

im not saying i disagree with anyone about the next xbox and its faults
    that 24h connection thing could be a deciding factor for me since im not on it every day of the week i have other commitments

but quite alot of the faults some people have pointed out dont really matter for me
    i dont care about pre owned gaming as i generally buy brand new
    i dont give loans of games out to my friends as we mostly have different tastes or we buy the same games anyway

only thing i actually hate about xbox is the xbox live, thats the thing they really should get rid of if you ask me
    sure its only what 30 euro for the year? but i shouldnt have to pay that since i bought their console already, sony have it right in their department with playstation plus and free games

Ok I will give it a shot. Nearly all these issues are a concious decision made by Microsoft. Sony has not confirmed some of these for the PS4 but they have set a precedent with the PS3.

Hardware
    -Proprietary hardware only being supported(Headsets etc..)
    -No option to expand the internal storage or update the HDD with a SSD
    -Controller still using external battery packs
    -No option to Disconnect the Kinect.
    -Large external power Supply(Nearly every piece of electronics nowadays has these incorporated)
    -Only 5GB of Memory reserved for games
    -Subpar GPU and CPU(Don't know the CPU spec exactly because it is their own custom built, likely being customised to allow more efficient splitting of CPU resources between the 3 OS, leading to fewer CPU cycles being utilised for games)
    -Only HDMI output

Policy Issues
    -DRM that "Phones home" every 24 hours to enforce their used games policy
    -Focus on paid subscription services such as Xbox live(All their competitors use a free service) and ESPN sports when consumers are moving towards content on demand
    -Forced online activation of games
    -No self publishing for Indie Developers
    -No attempt to incorporate some form of backwards compatibility, even for XBLA titles.
    -Mandatory installs

I have probably missed a few. Now with the noises coming from development studios, it seems that many will be focusing on the PS4 for games. If this turns out to be the case it will end up being the publishers pushing for content on the Xbox one which is never a good thing. Being told you have to create content for a subpar system by your publisher will lead to resources being diverted away from getting the best out of your product.

As for your point about the used game fee, most of this money will not end up in the developers hands. It may indirectly get to a developer to develop new content but you can be sure that the publisher will be covering their costs first and foremost. I am not defending retailers in any way, they certainly enforced anti developer policies for used games in this gen but shifting the profits to the publisher, while in no way allowing self publishing for developers is not much better in my eyes.

Right first off half of what you listed is hardly anti consumer. The majority of games will be multiplatform and so will be built for the lowest common denominator as was the case with this generation.
    • Agree 100%, 3rd party should of course be supported
    • Wrong as the Xbox1 will be expanded by both the cloud and the option to plug in an external HDs with USB3.0. Speculation to say you cant install games to either at this point
    • External batteries is one of the best things about the 360. I have 4 batteries for 2 controllers, one dies I swap it out of the charging dock and carry one. Would be very annoyed if I had to wait 30 mins for the controller to recharge.
    • Perhaps there isnt but no idea how this is anti consumer, just ignore it no ?
    • Power brick is a pain in the face and is ugly as hell (well the 360 one is)
    • Memory and CPU info says Xbox 20-30% slower than PS4. However microsoft has confirmed that it will support cloud computing for non latency tasks and has a cloud of 300,000 servers to support this.
    Policy issues
    • Dont see how this is an issue to be honest. I have xbox live and my xbox is always connected. If someone doesnt have broadband dont buy the console (47million people have the console and broadband fyi)
    • Xbox live has always been a paid service and is value for money if you ask me. Moving towards content on demand? Thats what Xbox live is if you havent used it, you can rent movies/ tv shows or download game content on demand. It also supports Sky/netflix subscription services
    • This is the same as #1 and not an issue for xbox live subscribers
    • This is the single thing that people should be outraged about. The implementation on the 360 was terrible at best and now to drop support completely is stupid and a huge black mark against the console in my eyes
    • Cmon man backwards compatability, if you want to play old games keep your console. You gave out about the multi OS earlier and now you want an addition one to play Xbox 360 games.
    • The game installs as you play, no clue how this is an issue for anyone.

Also your comments about development studios seems more than a stretch. See my comment on cloud processing earlier.

I have no idea why i keep sticking up for the XboxOne as I could care less which next gen console I buy, but the sheer volume of absolute nonesense and lies being spouted on here is shocking.

The used game issue is the same on both consoles and is the result of publishers not the console makers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peteeeed wrote: »

I wouldn't pay any attention to the preliminary prices on sites like those. They purposefully set them high because they operate a price promise that if it's cheaper at launch you get the cheaper price. But if you pre-order it now and the price goes up you get charged the cheaper price.

By setting them high they avoid a situation where a bunch of pre-orders end up getting a cheap console.

The article you quoted even suggests it themselves:
    This isn't the first time that Amazon has leaked product pricing on its website, although in a lot of cases they tend to be an error rather than confirmation of cost. Most are expecting the Xbox One to cost around £400 at launch. Amazon tends to set pre-order prices high, in order to be able to inform potential buyers of a price drop closer to release. It just looks better.

I can understand your points Pushtrack but my point is that Microsoft seem to be making conscious decision to remove consumer choice.

Will I now have to buy a new headset instead of using my current perfectly capable one? Why will they not allow me to upgrade my HDD to a SSD, the only way currently to upgrade consoles?
    Agreed about the Installation but why remove the ability to run off the optical drive altogether?

I'm not too familiar with XBLA titles but from my understanding they are digital only and they are in no way as hardware intensive as the Disc based media currently for the X360. Would it not be easy to include an emulator for them? Maybe it isn't, just my take on it.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I read this last night a bit before calling it a night...

http://www.examiner.com/article/xbox-one-owners-will-be-able-to-turn-off-kinect-2-camera

Being able to turn off Kinect kinda puts a dent in that content DRM of restricting numbers. Or buying a licence for a certain number of people. As for aspects of your room, I don't expect that to be the case. On what basis are you making such speculations?

That doesn't tell if I can use the console if I can't set up the kinect.

I'm speculating based on issues I've seen with the current generation of Kinects. I fully accept that it's purely speculation and they may well have a system to avoid these issues altogether. But it's something I'm seeing covered.

If console makers could get away with removing the optical drive altogether they would.

In fact I'd rather we were all buying games on throw-away USB sticks. Their masterplan could involve decimating the likes of Gamestop and shifting entirely to a digital platform like steam. Publisher's dream.

In regards to your headset I'd imagine they'll sell official adaptors like Apple did for the old 30pin connectors to convert them to the lightning connector. Fúckers.

• Dont see how this is an issue to be honest. I have xbox live and my xbox is always connected. If someone doesnt have broadband dont buy the console (47million people have the console and broadband fyi)
    Lots of people know they'll have to go days or weeks during the year, or worse offline per year.
    Placeholder pricing.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Lots of people know they'll have to go days or weeks during the year, or worse offline per year.

This is pushing me against it massively. I've had my Xbox connected for the past 3 years or so but prior to that I had a year and a half where I wasn't connected.

But the "I'm all right Jack" attitude is really annoying. It's also really short term thinking as it doesn't take into account that eventually the servers will be turned off or other changes and then your console is gone (of course that depends on the lifespan of the console :p)

Will I now have to buy a new headset instead of using my current perfectly capable one?
    Not a clue, I'm not a fan either. I have a great headset too. Luckily I got it to work with PC and PS3 as well as the 360 so it'll still have a use.
    Why will they not allow me to upgrade my HDD to a SSD, the only way currently to upgrade consoles?
    I'd be looking to use external hard drives as they are cheaper. My 120 GB 360 is nearly always maxed out. SSD isn't exactly great for storing a lot at sensible pricing.
    Agreed about the Installation but why remove the ability to run off the optical drive altogether?
    It is stupid.
    I'm not too familiar with XBLA titles but from my understanding they are digital only and they are in no way as hardware intensive as the Disc based media currently for the X360. Would it not be easy to include an emulator for them? Maybe it isn't, just my take on it.
    It running on entirely different hardware means that it would be a hell of a lot of effort. Creating an emulator on different hardware like that is not an easy feat at all.
    That doesn't tell if I can use the console if I can't set up the kinect.

I'm speculating based on issues I've seen with the current generation of Kinects. I fully accept that it's purely speculation and they may well have a system to avoid these issues altogether. But it's something I'm seeing covered.
    I don't think that is going to be a concern.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/148842-kinect-2-0-for-xbox-720-specs-leaked-1080p-camera-larger-field-of-view-usb-3-0
    This is pushing me against it massively. I've had my Xbox connected for the 3 years or so but prior to that I had a year and a half where I wasn't connected.
    Yep, I've been offline since September except for days/weeks at, say Christmas and Easter.

Right first off half of what you listed is hardly anti consumer. The majority of games will be multiplatform and so will be built for the lowest common denominator as was the case with this generation.
    • Agree 100%, 3rd party should of course be supported
    • Wrong as the Xbox1 will be expanded by both the cloud and the option to plug in an external HDs with USB3.0. Speculation to say you cant install games to either at this pointBut you can't upgrade the HDD. Want a better HDD with a higher RPM, SSD? Cant do it.
    • External batteries is one of the best things about the 360. I have 4 batteries for 2 controllers, one dies I swap it out of the charging dock and carry one. Would be very annoyed if I had to wait 30 mins for the controller to recharge.Then why not allow for USB charging? Proprietary chargers thats why.
    • Perhaps there isnt but no idea how this is anti consumer, just ignore it no ?Removing consumer choice
    • Power brick is a pain in the face and is ugly as hell (well the 360 one is)
    • Memory and CPU info says Xbox 20-30% slower than PS4. However microsoft has confirmed that it will support cloud computing for non latency tasks and has a cloud of 300,000 servers to support this.Ah yes the cloud processing line, like what we had with Sim City. Turned out to be complete nonsense. Fact is I can't think of any game that currently utilises true cloud processing. Would require a huge shift in how developers develop games. Maybe it is the future but currently there is no precedent for it and I cant see developers utilising it just yet with the current worldwide network infrastructure. The server figure from MS also include VM's which are not physical servers
    Policy issues
    • Dont see how this is an issue to be honest. I have xbox live and my xbox is always connected. If someone doesnt have broadband dont buy the console (47million people have the console and broadband fyi)Removing consumer choice
    • Xbox live has always been a paid service and is value for money if you ask me. Moving towards content on demand? That's what Xbox live is if you havent used it, you can rent movies/ tv shows or download game content on demand. It also supports Sky/netflix subscription servicesMonatanising something like acscesing peer to peer servers for multiplayer is money gouging in my opinion
    • This is the same as #1 and not an issue for xbox live subscribers
    • This is the single thing that people should be outraged about. The implementation on the 360 was terrible at best and now to drop support completely is stupid and a huge black mark against the console in my eyes
    • Cmon man backwards compatability, if you want to play old games keep your console. You gave out about the multi OS earlier and now you want an addition one to play Xbox 360 games.My point is there was no attempt to even emulate XBLA games, which in my understanding should not be too difficuilt to do.Who said anything about an additional OS, it is called an emulator, however I can understand that it maybe be too difficult to implement it
    • The game installs as you play, no clue how this is an issue for anyone.What happens when I run out of Storage, why is there no option to even do partial mandatory installs

Also your comments about development studios seems more than a stretch. See my comment on cloud processing earlier.The cloud processing is more of a stretch if you ask me. Watch Totalbiscuits video I think he covers it

I have no idea why i keep sticking up for the XboxOne as I could care less which next gen console I buy, but the sheer volume of absolute nonesense and lies being spouted on here is shocking. Don't see how I lied but ya whatever, the reveal has caused the internet to explode but if it changes some of MS's policies then it is well justified in my opinion

The used game issue is the same on both consoles and is the result of publishers not the console makers

As for the quote from Major Nelson, Indies will end up have to use Microsoft Studios as their publisher, the same way as the current X360 set up and that didn't turn out to well for them. Of course it is speculation atm but there has been a precedent set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If it isn't a mistake, you might as well get a gaming PC for that price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement