Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's a lot less hassle than you might think. DIY PC's have come a long way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh455l3348s

There's an acronym in there that would put me and many others off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There's an acronym in there that would put me and many others off :pac:

Why do you think you're incapable doing it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

PC gaming and console gaming are not the same.
    A HTPC sitting under a tv is not the same as an xbox or PS
    Different games, different mechanics, different tech levels required to maintain them etc. I dont want a PC in my living room, I want an idiot proof console that I dont have to worry about crashing or reinstalling software every 18 months, viruses, upgrading components etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

^^^^ What he said.
    That's all unnecessary hassle for me.

PS4 Price Could Be 400 Euros

Amazing price if its true considering the tech under the hood. Microsoft will at least have to match that price you would think. I wonder how many of each have to be sold just to break even? 20m? 30m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sony have said they aren't going to make big losses with the PS4 like they did with the PS3. Generally, console makers do make a loss with their systems, with the exception of Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony make up for the loss on accessories and games. Nintendo don't have any other aspects to the company so they have to make their one business area profitable. So, how many units? It isn't the units, I'd expect that will make it profitable, it's the attach rate of accessories/games to consoles that will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

PS4 Price Could Be 400 Euros

Amazing price if its true considering the tech under the hood. Microsoft will at least have to match that price you would think. I wonder how many of each have to be sold just to break even? 20m? 30m?
    Cant see that happening, 8GB of GDDR5 is far from cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

gizmo wrote: »
    Because there is still a bunch of important information regarding the XBox One hardware still to be released. Things like the actual speed of the cores in the CPU, the bandwidth of the eSRAM and how it will be used across the system and how important the data move engines will be.

Of course there is nothing concrete yet but we know it is using the same 8 core AMD jaguar X86-64 CPUs as the PS4 1.66Ghz but has to handle jobs from 3 OS so they have had to customise it. Perhaps they will come up with some magic to increase the core speed, while managing to come up with a novel way to handle heat dissipation on the microprocessor, highly unlikely though and we would have heard about it if they had as this would indeed be a tech marvel. Various tech analysis have pointed this out but nothing will be proved until people get their hands on it. All we have are indirect references.

Bandwidth of the eSRAM is 102GB/s confirmed.

You realise that "Data Move Enigine" is a construct of Microsofts and unless they have somehow managed to increase the Bus Speed of the NorthBridge then they theoretically cannot exceed Raw horsepower for gaming purposes. Perhaps for streaming encoded video they will free up some resources on the GPU but it is highly likely we are talking about being able to Skype while playing a game here, not about performance.

Of course it could be possible that MS were caught with their pants down with the PS4 reveal of 8GB GDDR5 Ram and neglected to announce the speeds and instead decided to focus on the entertainment possibilities of the machine ala the reveal. I highly encourage you to watch TotalBiscuits take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,008 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

One of the biggest costs of the PS3 was shipping each unit with a Blu-Ray Drive and the backwards compatible PS2 hardware.

Blu-Ray Drives are now better and much cheaper, so that's one cost out and there'll be no BC, so that's another cost cut.

€400 is a believable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

One of the biggest costs of the PS3 was shipping each unit with a Blu-Ray Drive and the backwards compatible PS2 hardware.

Blu-Ray Drives are now better and much cheaper, so that's one cost out and there'll be no BC, so that's another cost cut.

8GB of GDDR5 RAM will cost about 120$-150$. Though Sony will likely get a lot off that for ordering in bulk.
    I'm pretty excited to see what the PS4 case will be. They have to make 16 512MB GDDR5 RAM sticks as thats the largest size there is atm, so it will probably have to be a big case to fit that many sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Of course there is nothing concrete yet but we know it is using the same 8 core AMD jaguar X86-64 CPUs as the PS4 1.66Ghz but has to handle jobs from 3 OS so they have had to customise it. Perhaps they will come up with some magic to increase the core speed, while managing to come up with a novel way to handle heat dissipation on the microprocessor, highly unlikely though and we would have heard about it if they had as this would indeed be a tech marvel. Various tech analysis have pointed this out but nothing will be proved until people get their hands on it. All we have are indirect references.
    Precisely, which is why I said it was an unfounded hardware complaint based on the information we're still missing. As an aside, the clock speed of the core still hasn't been announced.
    Bandwidth of the eSRAM is 102GB/s confirmed.
    From your own link its bandwidth is unconfirmed.
    You realise that "Data Move Enigine" is a construct of Microsofts and unless they have somehow managed to increase the Bus Speed of the NorthBridge then they theoretically cannot exceed Raw horsepower for gaming purposes. Perhaps for streaming encoded video they will free up some resources on the GPU but it is highly likely we are talking about being able to Skype while playing a game here, not about performance.
    The term is one they've coined, the tech behind it, not so much.

As Leadbetter stated in the article, MS blew part of their silicon budget on the eSRAM and data move engines. This was done for a reason so until we see some real world info this 10-50% performance lead the PS4 has may as well be written on the back of a bar napkin.

The 8gigs of ram alone is set to cost over $200. Not a cheap console by any stretch to make

PC gaming and console gaming are not the same.
    A HTPC sitting under a tv is not the same as an xbox or PS
    Different games, different mechanics, different tech levels required to maintain them etc. I dont want a PC in my living room, I want an idiot proof console that I dont have to worry about crashing or reinstalling software every 18 months, viruses, upgrading components etc.

It is the same. An Xboxone is just a cheap gaming PC only it's locked down to do only what MS wants it to do. Like no more lending out games to friends which was the one real advantage for the console over PC.
    Unless you're big into the likes of Halo most of the games are the same. Only they'll be cheaper and they'll be more of them.
    The mechanics can be the same. You don't have to use a mouse and keyboard.
    Yes, buying a Xbox and just plugging it in will be easier, but it's going to cost you a lot more money in the long run for a lot less.
    If you're a smart user and are not careless you won't need to reinstall or worry about viruses. Xbox had its hardware troubles too.
    Being able to upgrade components is a bonus in my mind but, not even really necessary.

It is the same. An Xboxone is just a cheap gaming PC only it's locked down to do only what MS wants it to do. Like no more lending out games to friends which was the one real advantage for the console over PC.
    Unless you're big into the likes of Halo most of the games are the same. Only they'll be cheaper and they'll be more of them.
    The mechanics can be the same. You don't have to use a mouse and keyboard.
    Yes, buying a Xbox and just plugging it in will be easier, but it's going to cost you a lot more money in the long run for a lot less.
    If you're a smart user and are not careless you won't need to reinstall or worry about viruses. Xbox had its hardware troubles too.
    Being able to upgrade components is a bonus in my mind but, not even really necessary.

Try leaving kids near a HTPC. Complete non runner

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

gizmo wrote: »
    Precisely, which is why I said it was an unfounded hardware complaint based on the information we're still missing. As an aside, the clock speed of the core still hasn't been announced.

From your own link its bandwidth is unconfirmed.

The term is one they've coined, the tech behind it, not so much.

As Leadbetter stated in the article, MS blew part of their silicon budget on the eSRAM and data move engines. This was done for a reason so until we see some real world info this 10-50% performance lead the PS4 has may as well be written on the back of a bar napkin.

True but there is a really subtle hint why in the reveal, with the way they emphasised the ability to Skype while playing games in the reveal, of course everything is speculation and everything is liable to changes on both consoles. I wouldn't call it unfounded though as there are hardware limits and looking at these from what Information we do know it is the probable outcome.

Try leaving kids near a HTPC. Complete non runner

There is truth to that one.:D

I ended up building my son his own gaming PC because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

True but there is a really subtle hint why in the reveal, with the way they emphasised the ability to Skype while playing games in the reveal, of course everything is speculation and everything is liable to changes on both consoles. I wouldn't call it unfounded though as there are hardware limits and looking at these from what Information we do know it is the probable outcome.
    Well, the reserved memory is something I'd definitely be wary of. Yes, it allows some pretty neat app switching and there are probably some other niceties such a setup brings which they've yet to show off, but at the end of the day it can only result in one definite thing, less memory games can use at run time.

As for the founded/unfounded thing, I really don't want to argue about semantics, I mentioned earlier in the thread how I felt about it and it mirrored what the Avalanche CTO said also, on paper the PS4 has a raw power advantage but we won't know the truth until both platforms mature and their differences (such as the DMEs) are better understood by developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

because in their attempt to appeal to the mass market they didn't focus on the specs because most people don't understand them (hell people are still struggling with the DDR3-GDDR5 thing on this forum)

sony were equally as vague. we don't know the specs of the ram (speeds, latency)

This is a game of chicken. specs can be changed very quickly up to a certain point because none of the launch games will use half of the power of the console.

MS and Sony are saving their best for e3 its the final head to head before launch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

...what's wrong with that? :confused:

• Advertisement

List of confirmed Xbox One games from Xbox Magazine

Exclusive

1. Forza Motorsport 5

2. Quantum Break

3. Halo 5

4. Ryse

Multiplatform

1. Human Element

2. Rainbow 6: Patriots

3. Watch Dogs

4. Star Wars 1313 (update: project on hold)

5. Destiny

6. Beyond Good & Evil 2

7. Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

8. Cyberpunk 2077

9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

10. Whore of the Orient - (rumour - on hold)

11. Thief

12. Battlefield 4

13. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

14. Pro Evolution Soccer 2014

15. Sniper Elite 3

16. Lords of the Fallen

17. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes

18. Call of Duty: Ghosts

19. Wolfenstein: The New Order

20. FIFA 14

21. Dying Light

22. UFC (details to come)

23. NBA Live (details to come)

24. WWE '14 (details to come)

25. Madden NFL (details to come)

Xbox One: 10 rumours that haven't come true... yet

1. Resident Evil 7!
    2. Augmented 3D glasses!
    3. IllumiRoom support!
    4. Respawn's Titan a system exclusive!
    5. That next gen pre-owned lock-out thing!
    6. Mirror's Edge 2!
    7. Xbox One to allow real cash payments!
    8. A Gears of War RTS for the new Kinect!
    9. Devs won't have to pay to patch their games!
    10. Crackdown 3!?

Surely a few from that list are correct given the track record of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Has anybody Preordered it for £20?

I don't think I'll be getting it early, but I'm just curious.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Allyall wrote: »

Yeah I have pre ordered it. I am not sure if I will be getting it but id rather have the option or give it to someone I know if I decide not to in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Yeah I have pre ordered it. I am not sure if I will be getting it but id rather have the option or give it to someone I know if I decide not to in the end.

Not a bad idea....

Didn't think of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

so Amazon started taking pre-orders for both XB1 & PS4.

the PS4 is #1 in Pc & Video Games, the XB1 is only #4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

so Amazon started taking pre-orders for both XB1 & PS4.

the PS4 is #1 in Pc & Video Games, the XB1 is only #4

Do we have any ideas of the Retals prices for either one yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got the PS4 pre-ordered off Amazon.

I don't need to get it day one but I might cancel later dependant on bundles and availability elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Allyall wrote: »

II love the way it has been reviewed and rated by 53 people all of whom have never used it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I didn't think MGS 5 was going to be on xbox.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement