Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

FIFA 14 for the new console is being advertised at €80 on GameStop website :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Carroller wrote: »

if games on consoles are gonna be that price they can keep em :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

there are no RRP for games or the consoles as yet
    The prices are simply guesses by gamestop/amazon etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

there are no RRP for games or the consoles as yet
    The prices are simply guesses by gamestop/amazon etc

Yea we know I wouldn't be surprised if games wer that price or around the 70 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I can't even remember now.. what price were ps3/360 games at launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Games for the original xbox where €75 at launch, can't remember how much the 360 or ps3 games where.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

wilser wrote: »
    Games for the original xbox where €75 at launch, can't remember how much the 360 or ps3 games where.

On wiki it says they were 60 euro for PS3 games

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

EnterNow wrote: »
    Didn't someone too mention no current Sky or UPC box has hdmi-cec, meaning any One over here will have to use the much inferior ir blaster method of control?

That is correct, I did. This functionality will suck with all current Sky and UPC Boxes.
    if it eliminates even one of the remote controls from my sitting room I'll be happy. at the minute theres one for the xbox, one for the tv, one for the set top box and one for a dvd player (which never gets used tbh). all in one remotes are grand but they dont always allow for full functionality. And sod law states that the one remote you really need is the one thats best hidden in the furniture.

It won't, you will continue to have to use your Sky/UPC remote to interact with the DVR features of the Sky/UPC box.

You would be better off getting a Logitech Hamony remote to replace all your exiting remotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How do we know how it'll work?

Surely they could strike a deal with Sky like they already have with Sky Go on the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

SantryRed wrote: »

Surely they could strike a deal with Sky like they already have with Sky Go on the 360?

Its not a case of if they make a deal with Sky or not.
    We know it'll work that way because the current Sky boxes don't have the required HDMI connections that will allow user inputs to pass through it as well. So the work around for that is to have some sort of infrared blaster at the back of your room facing the tv, and the kinect will send the commands to that, and that will act just like a normal remove and send the inputs to the tv.
    Because of that, its extremely unlikely that the tv functions will work as well as they did on stage at the reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Carroller wrote: »
    That's about the usual price of games in Gamestop, eh? :)

In an update from Microsoft, Major Nelson has provided the following update:
    We're fully aware of what is going on. I am also working on a few things to address it. I can't say much more right now. But we ARE listening URL="http://majornelson.com/2013/05/28/win-a-pass-to-see-the-xbox-e3-2013-media-briefing/#comment-912068159"]link[/URL

Another one
    I am working on rounding up as many answers as I can (like this) the good news is I like what I am finding out. Once I get it all the details I'll make a post. Link

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SantryRed wrote: »

Because this is what they announced after the event, it will control the box via either HDMI-CEC (if available, Sky/UPC boxes don't have it) or IR blaster.

Under either circumstances, you will still need the Sky/UPC remote to control DVR features. This is why they specifically didn't show off DVR functionality during the presentation.

To be honest, there isn't anything "magical" about this type of service, Google TV already does this for about €100 and has failed miserably. I can't see any reason why this will be any different.

As for Sky GO, that is a different type of service, it is an internet streaming VoD/IPTV tpye service similar to Netflix, RTE Player, BBC Player, etc.

Of course Microsoft could get exclusivity for Sky Go again, but no reason why this service couldn't work on the PS4 too (or PS3 for that matter).

Actually I would expect Sky Go to go multiplatform for this generation. Sky really don't gain anything from the exclusivity and are losing ground to Netflix, BBC Player by not having their service available on a wider selection of devices like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It'd be pretty sweet to see a UPC Horizon TV app. Would hurt their revenue from multiroom fees so unlikely I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

wilser wrote: »
    On wiki it says they were 60 euro for PS3 games

The Sony 1st/2nd party games were €60, most 3rd party were €75, I got virtua fighter for that and still regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont have the app so I'm just firing a wild guess out there....

isnt there an iphone app that lets you control your skybox to record programs?

would it be possible to expand this to allow for the controlling of the box itself in real time? granted there would be a lag as the request bounces out and back off of whatever server exists, but could it be a possibility?

I dont have the app so I'm just firing a wild guess out there....

isnt there an iphone app that lets you control your skybox to record programs?

would it be possible to expand this to allow for the controlling of the box itself in real time? granted there would be a lag as the request bounces out and back off of whatever server exists, but could it be a possibility?

There is an iphone app that does that. But how it works is:

- iphone app communicates with Sky servers.
    - Sky servers send "record programme A on sky box B" command up to their satellite in space.
    - Sky Satellite beams the command back down to all Sky boxes which then sees the command and records the show.

The problem with this is using multicast satellite like this has terrible latency. It only works with the iphone app because people who use it are normally away from their home and they don't see that it can take a few minutes before the recording actually starts!

There would be no way this would work for real time interaction with the sky box.

What you could do is connect your Sky box to your broadband connection via ethernet and have Sky add special software to the Sky box to allow it to be controlled and for microsoft to also add special software to the Xbox One to make use of it.

While technically possible what you need to understand is what a massive undertaking this would be. In the US alone there are more then 250 cable and satellite TV companies, each with dozens of set top boxes each!! Then you have the hundreds of companies in Europe!! Both the company and Microsoft would need to write special software to make this happen. As a software engineer myself I can assure you that would be a massive and complicated undertaking, that would likely take years to implement for all companies.

But that isn't even the biggest issue. The bigger problem is the TV providers like Sky/UPC don't want MS replacing them as the center of your home entertainment. For better or worse they want to be at the center of your home entertainment world and they certainly don't want MS layering it's service on top of them. It just isn't in their business interest to work with Microsoft on this. And if they don't work with them, then it can't be implemented.

This is probably why there isn't any news or even rumours of MS doing what I describe above, no TV company wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭briany

Every time I look at that machine I think,

A) It looks like an updated 3DO/VCR,

B) Boxy looks are one of those things that can really hamper a console. Didn't they learn that with the XBOX one?

C) I already have a machine that is a unified home entertainment system. My PC, connected to the telly via hdmi and controlled via Android, and that's more capable than any console can hope to be.

This just about sums up console reveals for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

I say the between €60 to €65 at launch which is high I buy of amazon.co.uk for €51 to say €55

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Does anyone know if the xbox live on the 360 and xbox one are the same service? Can someone play Call of Duty on the 360 with someone on xbox one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No, cross platform play like that will not be supported. Though if you have Gold on your 360, at least that still will be carried over to the One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Was just reading this.
    It's recommended that if you want to play old Xbox 360 games, you keep your old Xbox..

It's true, a lot probably won't want to go back to the horrible old Blocky Xbox360 Graphics (In years to come) and slow game play. But an option would be okay, Mind you, they'll probably re-release them as "Classic" or"360 Favourites" etc..

Or you could get an emulator on PC etc.. I don't really find it that big a deal, as I remember playing all the old arcade games a few years ago, loving it for a couple of days, then was bored..

One good point i did notice:
    this is completely shattering any future case Microsoft can make about the virtues of digital distribution. The idea is that any game you download is attached to your account. No matter what happens, you’ll have your digital library of games, even if you don’t have the physical discs anymore. It’s why many people, including me, don’t really have a problem with the lack of “ownership” when it comes to digital distribution on platforms like Steam.

But what if you upgraded to the latest model of PC, and Steam suddenly told you that you better hang on to your old computer if you wanted to play any of your downloaded games?
    The message this sends to consumers is that someday you could lose access to your library of titles you purchased digitally. Imagine if you spent thousands of dollars not downloading XBLA games, but actual AAA retail titles, and then suddenly when the Xbox Two comes out, it’s also not backward compatible and won’t transfer any of those purchases.

Anyway, if anyone wants to read it..
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/01/microsoft-you-must-keep-your-360-to-ever-play-xbla-games/

At least with old N64/Gamecube/Sega games, you held a physical copy of it, and could sell it to collectors or whoever, in years to come.

This is a bit cráppy alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

The release of this joke of a console is going to pave the way for Sony to reclaim top spot in Console gaming. Not only is Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot with all these incompatibility issues and what not, they're also allowing Sony restablish its flailing presence in the gaming industry.

I have always said xbox is the better console but i'm not giving Microsoft the money for this pile of ****e. I'll be investing in a PS4 GAMING SYSTEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The release of this joke of a console is going to pave the way for Sony to reclaim top spot in Console gaming. Not only is Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot with all these incompatibility issues and what not, they're also allowing Sony restablish its flailing presence in the gaming industry.

I have always said xbox is the better console but i'm not giving Microsoft the money for this pile of ****e. I'll be investing in a PS4 GAMING SYSTEM.
    What incompatibility issues? :s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Meesared wrote: »
    What incompatibility issues? :s
    I'm inclined to think they don't mean no backwards compatibility, but maybe that all accessories for the 360 will not work for the one... Like if you have some headset for the 360, it will not work with the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm inclined to think they don't mean no backwards compatibility, but maybe that all accessories for the 360 will not work for the one... Like if you have some headset for the 360, it will not work with the One.
    Strange logic given the same will likely be the case for the PS4

I'm wiling to bet that the PS4 will be the same, if not worse.

Sony are renowned for wanting to keep others out/use their own format.
    Even when it works against them.

Betamax/*Minidisc/DVF (Loads more) - All died because Sony were unwilling to share. The ones that shared became market leaders. Sony is on it's last legs, the only thing holding it up is the Playstation, and if they F*ck that up, God knows what'll happen to them.

*You could argue with minidisc's timing, but Sony not allowing any other Company to manufacture minidisc systems definitely didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Grand sweeping statements about a console that has never been played or reviewed are just crazy.
    PS4 isnt backward compatible either and the second hand gaming issue was a demand by publishers so it will be pretty much the same on PS4.
    How about people judge both consoles on their games in the weeks to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm wiling to bet that the PS4 will be the same, if not worse.

Sony are renowned for wanting to keep others out/use their own format.
    Even when it works against them.

Betamax/*Minidisc/DVF (Loads more) - All died because Sony were unwilling to share. The ones that shared became market leaders. Sony is on it's last legs, the only thing holding it up is the Playstation, and if they F*ck that up, God knows what'll happen to them.

*You could argue with minidisc's timing, but Sony not allowing any other Company to manufacture minidisc systems definitely didn't help.

Not sure what you're talking about. With the PS3 Sony allows any type of blue tooth head set to work, any type of webcam, keyboard etc, whilst with Xbox you could only use products Microsoft allowed, such as their own products.

Considering the Xbox one controller has a proprietary headphone jack and the PS4 has a standard 3.5mm jack, I'm guessing the PS4 will allow a lot more device compatibly than Xbox.

And I'd also bet you don't know much about how Sony is doing profit wise.
    Sony's most profitable business is insurance. They are not on their last leg as you suggest.
    Grand sweeping statements about a console that has never been played or reviewed are just crazy.
    You don't need to play something to make a decision when you can just read about the ****ty features and policies.

Not sure what you're talking about. With the PS3 Sony allows any type of blue tooth head set to work, any type of webcam, keyboard etc, whilst with Xbox you could only use products Microsoft allowed, such as their own products.

Considering the Xbox one controller has a proprietary headphone jack and the PS4 has a standard 3.5mm jack, I'm guessing the PS4 will allow a lot more device compatibly than Xbox.

And I'd also bet you don't know much about how Sony is doing profit wise.
    Sony's most profitable business is insurance. They are not on their last leg as you suggest.

Their most profitable is insurance? - Most successful. Doesn't matter. It accounts for 7% of their overall revenue, which should explain a little, how much trouble they are in.
    Okay, i may be using the word "trouble" a little lax, but they're not doing well in todays market.
    They had an upturn of 93% in 2012/2013 but still recorded a loss of $124million. (Up 93% of 5% of sales in 2000).
    They have been shutting down offices and shops globally.
    They appointed the Woman who was head of Playstation, to try and upturn their company, but most expect Sony attributed too much success to her, as the Playstation sold itself.
    ...Just yesterday, Sony Australia announced it would be shutting its two Sydney based stores in March due to "changing customer behaviour" and said it would adopt a kiosk retail strategy.

Sony's nine month loss also massively decreased from 150.6 bn yen to 50.9 bn yen or $585 million.

Q3 losses fell 93% from 148.2 bn yen to 10.8 bn yen or $124 million.

Breaking down Q3 sales, its Imaging division (includes cameras) fell 4.6% with "significant decrease" in sales of compact digital cameras due to the popularization of smartphones.

Sony Game sales fell 15.1% to $ $3,0bn due to plunging demand for PlayStation and PSP consoles and games, although the loss was partially offset by the sales of the PlayStation Vita. Operating incomes for the business also suffered an astronomical fall to just $53m - a drop of 29.2 billion yen.

Mobile revenue rose a whopping 94.4% to $3,6bn due to the consolidation of Sony Mobile in February last reflecting a shift to smartphones from feature phones, and higher unit sales of smartphones, being partially offset by "significantly lower sales" of Sony PCs

Sony is banking on the success of devices like the Xperia Z smartphone and said it is streamlining its supply chain and strengthening marketing.

Average selling prices of smartphones compared to feature mobiles was also attributed to the rise. Still, Sony recorded an operating loss of $245 million- although better than the loss the previous year.

However, sales of Sony LCD TVs fell almost 25% to $2.1bn, while its 'Home Entertainment and Sound' division recorded a loss of $92 million. Division sales fell almost 18% to $3,7bn and includes home audio, Blu-ray Disc players and recorders.

They are going to rely heavily on Phone and PS4 sales.
    At the end of the nine months, Sony had cash of $2,5 bn from operating activities, a decrease of 63.4 billion yen, or 22.4%.

That's on top of losses last year and the year before. (Possibly before that.)

- You missed my other point. Sony may have allowed other deviced to work on the Playstation. Sony (Media) are very strict when they come to their media format.

For example, there is no Blu-Ray player in the 360 because Sony own it.

Wrote way more than i had intended... There's plenty of info about it all over the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

EDIT: Read post wrong.

EDIT-EDIT
    Allyall wrote: »
    For example, there is no Blu-Ray player in the 360 because Sony own it.

Sony does not own blu-ray - they are co-owners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

I thought MS went with a different disc in competition against blu-ray, hoping it would become the main disc for games/movies. In much the same way there was a VHS v betamax war back in the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement