Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Newaglish wrote: »
    Is that your guess or where does it come from? I'd be fairly surprised if Final Fantasy 15 showed up; I figure they would want to focus on FFX HD and FF13-3

I doubt XV will be shown as an exclusive anyway Square cant afford to keep games as exclusives unless sony are throwing them a truck load of money

FFX HD is probably most likely as it was published by sony originally(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Rumours emerging now that MS is having manufacturing issues with the esRAM.
    Though, its from neogaf so it probably doesn't mean anything.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

NeoGaf is far more reliable than most places on the internet. The eSRAM rumour is more than likely through, what's still up in the air is if the GPU has been gimped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

NeoGaf is far more reliable than most places on the internet. The eSRAM rumour is more than likely through, what's still up in the air is if the GPU has been gimped.
    A random post on NeoGaf's forum though? Not so much

Meesared wrote: »
    A random post on NeoGaf's forum though? Not so much

A thread on NeoGaf where the information has been agreed upon by a number of industry insiders that have been verified by the mods. I don't know if your're familiar with how NeoGaf works, but if someone posts a claim like that and can't back it up they're banned. Read the whole OP of that thread.

EDIT: Also alot of the sources that confirmed the ESRAM problems have delivered on information in the past. These aren't some random joes that have no prior history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

A thread on NeoGaf where the information has been agreed upon by a number of industry insiders that have been verified by the mods. I don't know if your're familiar with how NeoGaf works, but if someone posts a claim like that and can't back it up they're banned. Read the whole OP of that thread.

EDIT: Also alot of the sources that confirmed the ESRAM problems have delivered on information in the past. These aren't some random joes that have no prior history.

The Jaguar core on the X1 has gpu units disabled in hardware, 12 units as opposed to Sony 18. No word on clock speeds though.

• Advertisement

The Jaguar core on the X1 has gpu units disabled in hardware, 12 units as opposed to Sony 18. No word on clock speeds though.

GPU was rumoured to be 1.2 TFlops, from the same leaked AMD source that said the PS4 would be 1.8 TFLops. Sony confirmed theirs, while MS did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

x360a.org posted an article about an Xbox One and Sky drawing up a deal:

"According to sources, Microsoft is apparently conducting talks with TV broadcasting giant Sky to sell Xbox One with subscriptions to the TV service. If true, the deal would see Sky offering Xbox One as a set-top box or a companion device for the existing Sky box, at a highly reduced price for Sky subscribers"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mindstorms wrote: »
    x360a.org posted an article about an Xbox One and Sky drawing up a deal:

"According to sources, Microsoft is apparently conducting talks with TV broadcasting giant Sky to sell Xbox One with subscriptions to the TV service. If true, the deal would see Sky offering Xbox One as a set-top box or a companion device for the existing Sky box, at a highly reduced price for Sky subscribers"

That......could work!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

And lo and behold look at what waiting for more information can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

In fairness, I don't think this is the news most were waiting for. More TV info is not what I'm on the look out for, at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

And what is presumed to be Microsoft's biggest game announcement of E3 was leaked.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578141

Looks good, also coming out on PC so it doesn't make me want an Xbone.
    Really can't wait to see if this "infinite power of the cloud" is going to actually work, my guess is it won't but I'll wait until I see it.

I hope they have better than that, because I don't care about online multiplayer only titles.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    In fairness, I don't think this is the news most were waiting for. More TV info is not what I'm on the look out for, at the very least.

No. But the amount of 'It'll only work in the US' and 'It'll never work with Sky' posts after the reveal showed how little faith people had in MS to work on a global strategy.

It was me saying they worked together before, no reason why they wouldn't again.

Still extremely sketchy but it sounds like a viable plan. It's encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mindstorms

As the first comment on x360a says:

"This is the sort of news thats making the Xbox One a laughing stock in the gaming community"
    Hopefully E3 will shed some light on the "games" aspect of this new media hub.
    The writing was on the wall though - the 360 dashboard is more about TV/social media/etc than your games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How would it work as a set top box? The One has no CAM for a start.
    If it's a companion box, all existing Sky boxes don't feature hdmi-cec, so you're still back to using the inferior ir blaster method of controlling the Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What has it done?

EnterNow wrote: »
    How would it work as a set top box? The One has no CAM for a start.
    If it's a companion box, all existing Sky boxes don't feature hdmi-cec, so you're still back to using the inferior ir blaster method of controlling the Sky box.

New boxes would be developed and issued. Possibly even charged for. Same when Sky+ came along, then HD etc.
    Otacon wrote: »
    What has it done?

It has shown it's a little shortsighted to make categorical claims about certain aspects of the consoles capabilities until MS have had a chance to release more information about what will work where.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Titanfall sounds fairly ....interesting

As one post on Neogaf said
    Call of Duty meets Mirrors Edge meets Shadow of Colosus

Looking forward to seeing it at E3

New boxes would be developed and issued. Possibly even charged for. Same when Sky+ came along, then HD etc.

Sky + allowed users to record shows, series link stuff & offered Anytime. It was an upgrade that anyone could see.
    HD gave High Definition obviously, & was/is a big draw.

If this rumour is correct, & Sky will develop new boxes...what's the marketing draw? Hdmi-cec? What does the consumer get for their money when they pay to upgrade? The ability to allow one box control the other? Unless it works out that the One will be seriously discounted through a Sky upgrade...I don't see the point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm as interested as i was before....but in terms of getting a cable provider this'd make SKY more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Huh its both wireless and wired? Thats a nice addition

EnterNow wrote: »
    Sky + allowed users to record shows, series link stuff & offered Anytime. It was an upgrade that anyone could see.
    HD gave High Definition obviously, & was/is a big draw.

If this rumour is correct, & Sky will develop new boxes...what's the marketing draw? Hdmi-cec? What does the consumer get for their money when they pay to upgrade? The ability to allow one box control the other? Unless it works out that the One will be seriously discounted through a Sky upgrade...I don't see the point.

All they'll need is a big sticker saying 'Compatible with Xbox One' on their ad flyers and it'll entice certain people. Then you'll have every new customer getting one. And you'll have others threatening to cancel unless they get one etc. etc.

It will cost them virtually nothing to enable HDMI-CEC on all new units being installed. Over time they'll filter in and eventually be the standard unit.

The lifespan of the current Xbox console is 7 years. Plenty of time for features to roll out and become the norm over the life of the One.

All they'll need is a big sticker saying 'Compatible with Xbox One' on their ad flyers and it'll entice certain people. Then you'll have every new customer getting one. And you'll have others threatening to cancel unless they get one etc. etc.

It will cost them virtually nothing to enable HDMI-CEC on all new units being installed. Over time they'll filter in and eventually be the standard unit.

The lifespan of the current Xbox console is 7 years. Plenty of time for features to roll out and become the norm over the life of the One.

Yeah maybe so. As you said I doubt hdmi-cec is any kind of cost concern, & it'll filter in on all new boxes over time. What is the deal likely to be then, you buy your One through Sky, coupled with a Sky compatible receiver for less than what both would normally cost?

Are people really going to get a Sky subscription service, to get an XBL subscription service to use the Sky subscription?

Are people really going to get a Sky subscription service, to get an XBL subscription service to use the Sky subscription?
    I don't think people will get one to get the other, but people who already have one will take advantage of the fact. For my part, I'm intermittently somewhere with Sky. Most to the point of almost all of the year I'd not be somewhere with Sky though. I wonder about specifics of this getting the One cheaper. I'll not be getting the One at launch anyway and the One has to win me over really with great games yet. The online requirement still pisses me off, tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You'll be able to buy and Xbox and not get Sky. You'll also be able to buy Sky and not get an Xbox. A lot of people will want to get both Sky and an Xbox, and if they do it'll probably be more cost effective to get both together.

Aaand Microsoft officially confirm that you will have to connect to the internet once every 24 hours.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected
    With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

After reading the details, I'm perfectly happy to go buy a X1. Nothing there to persuade me otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

24 hours is rather short, normal line faults could keep you off longer than that before they're sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement