Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Smells like Xbox1 is gonna tank with these policies from the looks of it. Dunno what Microsoft are smelling these days but the policies theyre pursuing seem clearly anticonsumer to me. Guess time will tell but if Windows 8 was anything to go by they just seem to struggling to understand their own playerbase these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Infini2 wrote: »
    Smells like Xbox1 is gonna tank with these policies from the looks of it. Dunno what Microsoft are smelling these days but the policies theyre pursuing seem clearly anticonsumer to me. Guess time will tell but if Windows 8 was anything to go by they just seem to struggling to understand their own playerbase these days.

The only thing that will mess things about is the required connection. That will mean there will be no Xbox in possibly 4 houses in my circle. Disappointing for them but what can ya do.

They mention no rentals for now but we all know it will be like their movie rentals they have at the minute so that's not an issue.

The sharing thing won't effect me personally as I don't swap many games but I'm sure it will piss someone off. Least there are no charges on this stuff.

All in all, as a current 360 user, always on connection aside, I don't have a problem with their trade or sharing policy. If the publishers do lock games for trade in, it just means people will be more cautious when buying a game, it won't be good for them. The trading was always a safety net - don't like it? Trade it against a game ya like. Happy days.

Definitely not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

About their used games stuff
    Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
    on the user's friends list for at least 30 days.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
    Game rentals not supported at launch

Haven't watched this yet, about to now...

Edited for more bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

V9 wrote: »
    The only thing that will mess things about is the required connection. That will mean there will be no Xbox in possibly 4 houses in my circle. Disappointing for them but what can ya do.

They mention no rentals for now but we all know it will be like their movie rentals they have at the minute so that's not an issue.

The sharing thing won't effect me personally as I don't swap many games but I'm sure it will piss someone off. Least there are no charges on this stuff.

All in all, as a current 360 user, always on connection aside, I don't have a problem with their trade or sharing policy. If the publishers do lock games for trade in, it just means people will be more cautious when buying a game, it won't be good for them. The trading was always a safety net - don't like it? Trade it against a game ya like. Happy days.

Definitely not all doom and gloom.

Okay, those features don't bother you, but they are features that shouldn't be considered positive features. If the PS4 doesn't have these features, why should anyone pick an Xbone over a PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Pushtrak wrote: »

I can't get past this as being a VERY bad thing.

As it is, we buy a lot of games.

What they could have done, was applied some sort of 'reactivation licence' - If you buy a used game, pay an extra €5 or something.
    (Used games could implement that licence in their price)

So, I will only get a game for a decent price on download in a sale (so i'll never actually own it - maybe) or when it's reached gold sales, or worse, possibly platinum? (Maybe)

If i buy a game, i want a hard copy, so i can show my children/grandchildren/drunk friends in 20 years my "old console"

I take a lot of care of my stuff.

I still have my old nintendo (and other consoles) with robot and gun and all the games I bought. I don't touch it, but every now and then, i may feel the urge to play metroid or super mario bros.

Mind you, i had my Dreamcast robbed, with all of my games, If i could log in for life with my purchases - it still wouldn't be as good, but it may relieve some of the pain (Having to only pay for a new console - and not all the games).

• Advertisement

Okay, those features don't bother you, but they are features that shouldn't be considered positive features. If the PS4 doesn't have these features, why should anyone pick an Xbone over a PS4?
    I'm pissed about this online only thing and need to see some good stuff to justify the purchase of the One. I'm not thinking in terms of why one should buy it over the PS4 as my purchase of either/both is going to be down to one thing. Games. The PS4 hasn't won me over in terms of games yet, but they haven't given me a sour taste the way the One has with this crap.

I'm pissed about this online only thing and need to see some good stuff to justify the purchase of the One. I'm not thinking in terms of why one should buy it over the PS4 as my purchase of either/both is going to be down to one thing. Games. The PS4 hasn't won me over in terms of games yet, but they haven't given me a sour taste the way the One has with this crap.

I honestly believe, a lot of parents will misunderstand (or understand exactly) what "online Purchases" are, and refuse to buy their Kids an Xbox One, because they feel like they are being ripped off. Regardless of how much the kid whines.
    That may seriously stutter their sales. I hope it makes them rethink their strategy.

If i wanted a Cloud gaming console, i could buy the cheaper Valve or Ouya.

If it wasn't for the amount of fun I've had with titles that were exclusive to both the original xbox and the 360 and how much gaming joy I'd not have had but for owning the consoles, I'd be thinking there isn't a way I'd buy the console. I'm going to need quite a bit of motivation in the form of many, many top quality games here to make up for this nonsense. I still have lots of stuff to catch up on from this gen so buying either at launch isn't something I'd do anyway. At this moment in time, I'm thinking I'll end up getting the Wii U first, anyway. That'll be sometime next year I guess.

Allyall wrote: »
    I honestly believe, a lot of parents will misunderstand (or understand exactly) what "online Purchases" are, and refuse to buy their Kids an Xbox One, because they feel like they are being ripped off. Regardless of how much the kid whines.
    That may seriously stutter their sales. I hope it makes them rethink their strategy.
    The first thought that came to mind for me was, "Hm, aren't Gamestop et al going to have to talk to people buying the xbox one with at

"Do you have broadband?"
    "Why?"
    "The console needs to check in every 24 hours."
    "How much is the PS4 again?"

Microsoft better be forced to make sure that people know that that is a requirement for the console. People who actively read forums and stuff are going to know this stuff, but for the majority of consumers they won't know this news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

They just somehow manage to make the Xbox One sound worse everytime they open their mouth about it. I don't want my ability to play games to be dictated by how often I can connect to the Internet. I don't like the trade in or sharing system they've described, and i couldnt give less of a **** about the tv/kinect elements. Up to now, I've thought that maybe a killer title or 2 at E3 would sway me but there isn't a chance in hell I'm buying one of these now.

All Sony has to do at E3 is come out and say no Internet connection required to play games and no 2nd hand restrictions and they will outright sink MS for the next gen.

Microsoft better be forced to make sure that people know that that is a requirement for the console. People who actively read forums and stuff are going to know this stuff, but for the majority of consumers they won't know this news.
    Which will just result in product returns, refunds and lawsuits.

I can't help thinking Apple will be a little p****d off about this.

"We've been doing that for years, F*****g Microsoft are wrecking it for us! People are starting to realise how we rip them off." .... :pac:

There's a hint of seriousness there..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Internet required every 24 hours.

No private game sales on ebay, adverts etc.

Trade-ins only at "participating retailers" and only if publishers allow it.

You can gift your games to friends once (only if they are on your friends list for 30 days) it is then erased from your account and can't be gifted again.

What a giant pile of bull****. If ps4 is similar I'll stick to pc gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Which will just result in product returns, refunds and lawsuits.

It'll be the same as with any MMO or other such product, it say on the box that'll be it. They're under no requirement to educate anyone, as long as they don't mislead and have it written somewhere on the box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Varik wrote: »
    It'll be the same as with any MMO or other such product, it say on the box that'll be it. They're under no requirement to educate anyone, as long as they don't mislead and have it written somewhere on the box.

When they release their tv ads they will have to mention that a broadband connection is required, and they will, in small print at the bottom of the screen - just like apple had to say that their animation sequences for ios were sped (up in their ads) and not indicative of actual performance

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

For the games obviously
    Whichever console has the better games is the one ill be buying
    I have broadband so the DRM system doesnt really matter much to me

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

This wasn’t the news I wanted to wake up to on a Friday but it looks like Microsoft has refused to listen to gamers and in a futile attempt for this disaster to not ruin their E3 they have decided to clarify how the Xbox One will work and it’s not pretty.

But wait we have good news for you

GoodNews

But let’s start with the actual good because there is some. The new Xbox One will allow you to setup a family group that can contain up to 10 people. All of these people then share games so that if I buy a copy of Bioshock Infinite and my dad wants to play it on his Xbox One, at his house, all he has to do is connect to my library in the cloud and install it for free.

That’s awesome and a really nice move from Microsoft. How the family groups are created and shared is still unknown and whether I can continue playing while he’s playing is also not clarified. But this could be a nice way to get a library going between your family of friends.

Next good news, well cool news maybe not good news. Is that when you install a game you picked up from the shop a copy of that game will be stored in your cloud library as well. I’m going to guess here you don’t have to upload the thing since you can buy all of these digitally so they must have a copy as well.

The great thing here is that when you get robbed or the dog trashes your disc you don’t lose your ability to play the game.. even if your Xbox is trashed.

Oh and if you go to a friends house and sign in you can play any of your games that are in your library… now that’s awesome.

And if Microsoft had just stopped then it would have been a winning proposition for them.. but they didn’t

Stahp

So now you have a library of titles that you can access anywhere, anytime and that you can share with your family easily. So what has Microsoft done that is so bad?
    DRM

There’s no sugar coating it. Microsoft has embedded the most draconian DRM system into the system that we’ve ever seen.

You do need an internet connection to use the Xbox One. You need it to install and licence games, you then need to make sure you connect at least once every 24 hours or the Xbox One will stop playing games.

“With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies. “

But don’t fear you can watch live TV through your Xbox One if your Internet goes down… so depressing.

But don’t panic they are at least letting us sell used games.. and in their words

“Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games. “

Sounds good.. but check out the wording around participating retailers. Not all retailers will be able to do this so that awesome independent down the road who survives on used game sales can kiss their business good bye. Also Microsoft doesn’t charge a platform fee for this but they do allow publishers to charge a fee, or refuse to allow the games to be resold in any way.

“Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this.”

But wait it doesn’t stop there, Microsoft will also allow you to simply give your game away. But the person who then receives it can’t give it to anyone else. And you have to be friends with the person for at least 30 days.

“Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.”

Here’s a handy little graphic to show exactly what Microsoft is doing wrong

XboxOneFailures

Okay so there is one thing that hasn’t yet been clarified, can I lend a game to my friend? Or like with Lazygamer where I receive a game to review and then send it to Geoff afterwards to mess around with and then Darryn picks it up when he visits civilisation. Well that’s no longer an option

“In addition (to selling games), third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.”

And to close in yet another depressing tone.. Microsoft recommends that you have at least a 1.5Mb connection to utilise the Xbox One. I guess it’s about time that Telkom offered a 2Mb as base broadband?

But don’t forget you can still watch TV if your Internet is down, you recently moved, work on site or have your Internet taken out for a while due to silly things like tornadoes or tsunami’s..

Geoff and Darryn are landing in LA sometime today and will be at the Xbox One conference on Monday so stick around to get all the news as it breaks from E3.

From lazygamer

http://www.lazygamer.net/24/microsoft-confirms-insane-xbox-one-drm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

So, to those who doubted my fears about Kinect.

Enjoy http://t.co/H3UKdwzJru

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

For the games obviously
    Whichever console has the better games is the one ill be buying
    I have broadband so the DRM system doesnt really matter much to me

The underpowered console just got a bit more underpowered.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=576869

Honestly I think the PS4 will inherit a similar used games system, which means it's gonna come down to graphics and Exclusives, if anybody has read reviews for The last of us, there is only going to be one winner..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Granted I never bought many when I had a PS3, but I'm happy the Xbone is going to play blu-ray movies. I'll be even happier if it just plays bloody mkvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Here's a perfect example of how Microsoft are screwing the entire gaming community:

I recently moved to a new apartment. We haven't gotten around to setting up broadband yet as bank accounts, direct debits etc etc were being set up. With no tv or broadband, I was happy out playing my 360 and PS3 in the evenings when I came home from work. So happy with this arrangement in fact that we still haven't setup broadband yet. You see, I'm an online marketer so I'm always connected throughout the day in work. It was actually quite nice to come home and not be connected - liberating if you will. Sure, I still had my phone to check Facebook, emails etc etc.

Now, if I had an Xbox ONE sitting under my tv, it would literally be gathering dust - unable to perform any actions whatsoever. Thanks Microsoft. Thanks a bunch. That's just an example from someone living in a first world country. Imagine living in a country that didn't have broadband at all. Bye bye gaming that's what.

I also have a sneaking suspicion Sony are going to follow a similar path. If so, this will be the first generation that I will boycott. It'll be PC and Steam gaming all the way from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Varik wrote: »
    24 hours is rather short, normal line faults could keep you off longer than that before they're sorted.

That would be extremely rare now a days, up there with the idea of dropped calls on a mobile. I haven't had a single fault or dropped call in the last 8 years since I've had broadband.

I'd be more concerned about taking the xbox with me for a weekend away (or longer) somewhere that I wouldn't have internet access. It looks like this won't be possible now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jester77 wrote: »
    That would be extremely rare now a days, up there with the idea of dropped calls on a mobile. I haven't had a single fault or dropped call in the last 8 years since I've had broadband.

I'd be more concerned about taking the xbox with me for a weekend away (or longer) somewhere that I wouldn't have internet access. It looks like this won't be possible now :(

It happens. Here's some light reading for you - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056840743

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Think I'm going to develop a device that allows you to tether your Xbox to your mobile for the purposes of passing the DRM check while on holidays/in the sticks.

Think I'm going to develop a device that allows you to tether your Xbox to your mobile for the purposes of passing the DRM check while on holidays/in the sticks.

Most android phones will allow you to do this on stock android. Though you'd want to be with Three network for unlimited data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Most android phones will allow you to do this on stock android. Though you'd want to be with Three network for unlimited data.

And it's easy with JB iOS devices too. Never thought of that, would be a handy workaround if you were taking the console away with you somewhere.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It happens. Here's some light reading for you - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056840743

Wow :eek: time to change providers, they sound like amateurs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If it is just a quick authentication check against a server, why not just build in a 3G chip into the Xbone? I doubt it would need much data so it could just be like those 3G Kindles with free access.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    And it's easy with JB iOS devices too. Never thought of that, would be a handy workaround if you were taking the console away with you somewhere.

Kind of sad that we would have to do these type of workarounds and hacks (if you're on ios) just to play a game you've bought :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement