Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

jester77 wrote: »
    Wow :eek: time to change providers, they sound like amateurs

To be fair to UPC, that issue was the only one I've had with them in 5 years and I was only intermittently offline for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

maximoose wrote: »
    To be fair to UPC, that issue was the only one I've had with them in 5 years and I was only intermittently offline for about a week.

Ah ok, I thought it was a regular type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I wonder how long you have to be online for every 24hours. 5 seconds? 5minutes?
    I'm guessing it'll just want to send information to Microsoft about what you've been doing whilst its been offline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wow :eek: time to change providers, they sound like amateurs

Well you did cite it was extremely rare, & yet I was able to show you an example from six months ago that lasted six weeks give or take for some people. Yes it was a particularly peculiar problem, one that doesn't surface often, but it can & does happen. I remember MS giving all those affected, a one month free extension to their XBL Gold because of it too.

But to be less pedantic, this 24 hour phone home check isn't a big deal on the whole. With the exception of isp outages, it shouldn't be concern at all really.

To my eye though, so far the PS4 just comes with less baggage & I'm still leaning towards it more than the One.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wonder how long you have to be online for every 24hours. 5 seconds? 5minutes?
    I'm guessing it'll just want to send information to Microsoft about what you've been doing whilst its been offline.

On an average day, I'd guess somewhere between 5 and 15 seconds.

But it's likely that whenever there's a software update for the console you will have to download an install that first, before it activates your games for another 24hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

There is a chance these DRM features could be in the PS4 too, yknow. Can't see big publishers having it in one but not the other. I like the idea of the sharing thing. Only worry tho would be if/when some yob hacks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

maximoose wrote: »
    Granted I never bought many when I had a PS3, but I'm happy the Xbone is going to play blu-ray movies. I'll be even happier if it just plays bloody mkvs.

I don't think it's been confirmed whether it can play blu ray movies, just that the games will be on blu ray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't think it's been confirmed whether it can play blu ray movies, just that the games will be on blu ray

Blu Ray movies were confirmed last week by MS execs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kind of sad that we would have to do these type of workarounds and hacks (if you're on ios) just to play a game you've bought :(

Kind of?? I'm just really surprised that it has not yet passed the tipping point where people reject this kind of DRM and other draconian methods of control. I thought these devices were supposed to "just work"? That's going to stop being a selling point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The drm thing isn't a huge massive deal, but what's even less of a problem is not having it at all. As someone who has never pirated a game i don't see why anyone thinks I should be happy to be required to connect once every 24hrs just to play offline. Yes i have broadband most of the time, but if I'm playing offline i shouldn't need it.

As it stands the X1 will be an afterthought for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

ffOqkI4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone been following this PRISM stuff that the Guardian have uncovered in the US? Basically the NSA have secretly gained the right to collect all kinds of data on everyone via mobile phones, internet browsers, social media and ISPs. They've been spying on people for over six years and its only just come to light, after years of denials http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

Now Microsoft, the first company to sign up to PRISM in 2007 wants to put an always on camera in everyone's living room courtesy of the Xbox One.

Edit - srumball's picture sums it up more eloquently, good timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anyone been following this PRISM stuff that the Guardian have uncovered in the US? Basically the NSA have secretly gained the right to collect all kinds of data on everyone via mobile phones, internet browsers, social media and ISPs. They've been spying on people for over six years and its only just come to light, after years of denials http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data

Now Microsoft, the first company to sign up to PRISM in 2007 wants to put an always on camera in everyone's living room courtesy of the Xbox One.

lol, was reading that article earlier then came across the picture on Reddit.

So they will basically track EVERYTHING that your Kinect hears/see's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Surprisingly enough that is the thing that bothers me the least really. Every device does that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Here's another one. The Idea of this is to share it on Facebook, Twitter etc.

drm4yjrw.png

Yeah I remember in the early days of the PS3 being hacked, it was discovered by monitoring the network traffic of the PS3 on bootup, that it scans & harvests every piece of info it can get from every device on your home network & transmits it back to Sony. It's nothing new. It would be naive to think MS won't use Kinect for some domestic-recon, in a benign sense. It's just an evolution of thing thats already happening.

It doesn't bother me really, and the whole 'if you've nothing to hide...' point is valid, but tI can see why people would consider it an invasion of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What happens when the servers are down for maintenance for more than 24 hours?

Keno 92 wrote: »

I gather from all the spec-bragging during the reveal, there should be plenty of server redundancy available to cover maintenance etc. But never say never

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

EnterNow wrote: »
    I gather from all the spec-bragging during the reveal, there should be plenty of server redundancy available to cover maintenance etc. But never say never

I probably should of said 'if' instead of 'when'. I can't remember a time Xbox Live went down for more than a day.

Still a bit of a concern.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yeah I remember in the early days of the PS3 being hacked, it was discovered by monitoring the network traffic of the PS3 on bootup, that it scans & harvests every piece of info it can get from every device on your home network & transmits it back to Sony. It's nothing new. It would be naive to think MS won't use Kinect for some domestic-recon, in a benign sense. It's just an evolution of thing thats already happening.

It doesn't bother me really, and the whole 'if you've nothing to hide...' point is valid, but tI can see why people would consider it an invasion of privacy.

The problem with that is the perspective of who ever deciding what's "something to hide", could merely holding a certain point of view label you as one thing, maybe eventually getting you in trouble.....this is real conspiracy stuff, at least the world we're living in is being confirmed, sadly its fully acceptable.

• Advertisement

The problem with that is the perspective of who ever deciding what's "something to hide", could merely holding a certain point of view label you as one thing, maybe eventually getting you in trouble.....this is real conspiracy stuff, at least the world we're living in is being confirmed, sadly its fully acceptable.

Oh I agree, & I'd be of the belief that they've no right whatsoever to information about you other than what you agree to give them. Is it enough to stop me buying the console? No, probably not which is why I say it doesn't overly bother me. But, I do see why it's a cause for concern

Whatever about the US, European privacy laws are different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Directive

So how do MS implement this here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Might be what alot of programs do, offer localised adds/offers that might appeal to you personally based on your habits etc.

Though the thought of Kinect with the big red Hal eye seeing and hearing you argue with your GF about you wearing socks in bed is a bit :o

Keno 92 wrote: »

Or the more likely scenario - Eircom BB is fecked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Whatever about the US, European privacy laws are different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Directive

So how do MS implement this here?

Because spies are so concerned about privacy laws.

I'd be *VERY* interested in reading the fine print and ultra small text of the documentation/t&c that come with the X1.....dont most people just click on "I Agree" and not arsed to read a 2,000 word document?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Are people who are worried about PRISM going to throw out all their camera phones, tablets, laptops with webcams etc?

I already have 5 devices with cameras strewn about the house, and that's not including my actual camera. I'm not entirely sure what difference one more is going to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It doesn't bother me really, and the whole 'if you've nothing to hide...' point is valid .

No, it's not valid. I don't want to live in a Stalin type police state where we are being watched 24/7. "If you've nothing to hide" that statement is what bothers me. Who decides what "wrong" is, and what happens when your definition starts to disagree with the government?

Might be what alot of programs do, offer localised adds/offers that might appeal to you personally based on your habits etc.

The thing is though, no ads appeal to me...they're just noise. I rarely watch tv, & when I do I mute the ads. I use flashblock, adblock & adblock plus when online too to keep them all away from me :o So targeted ads will be the same, I've no interest in forced consumerism.
    No, it's not valid. I don't want to live in a Stalin type police state where we are being watched 24/7. "If you've nothing to hide" that statement is what bothers me. Who decides what "wrong" is, and what happens when your definition starts to disagree with the government?

Yeah you do have a point, don't get me wrong, I'm not enthused about the idea of an eye & ear in my living room when I don't know what is being done with the info garnered. Does it bother me enough not to buy though? Hmm, no. I'd imagine, all it will be used for is targeted advertising as Richard mentions above...& possible implementation of certain DRM due to that MS patent thingy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

stevenmu wrote: »
    Are people who are worried about PRISM going to throw out all their camera phones, tablets, laptops with webcams etc?

I already have 5 devices with cameras strewn about the house, and that's not including my actual camera. I'm not entirely sure what difference one more is going to make.

Well are they always on, always nicely setup by you to perfectly cover your living room or child's bedroom, permanently net connected and running software that you can't even inspect let alone change?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement