Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

pH wrote: »
    Well are they always on, always nicely setup by you to perfectly cover your living room or child's bedroom, permanently net connected and running software that you can't even inspect let alone change?

The Kinect camera can be turned off when you're not using it. MS confirmed that a week or 2 ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

They've also hired an agency that signed up multiple accounts defending it on neogaf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ tbf...that actvity is not unusual, lots of companies plant posters on various tech forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Don't I know it......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

^ tbf...that actvity is not unusual, lots of companies plant posters on various tech forums.

Probably. They're all getting banned on GAF anyway, alot of em were stupid enough to sign up with their work email addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I think a lot of this is being blown out of proportion.

Microsoft have been upfront in telling us the consumers that drm is in and that used game market is ****ked...

Sony will announce the same I guarantee it. Developers and publishers need to be making money and if GameStop take all used game profits and others hack consoles to play dodgy pirated games then what can ms do?? Developers are taking a stand IMO they are saying hey Sony and ms put these things in place or we won't be making games for your new consoles

I think ms have been upfront and fair about this!! I think Sony are gonna drop the bomb at e3 or before their launch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Microsoft have been upfront in telling us the consumers that drm is in and that used game market is ****ked...
    After ages of mixed messages with one person saying one thing, and another saying "no, that's not true" or "no that's incomplete" they finally got around to confirming the worst.

It's probable that Sony will have something on the preowned games but if there is some power play at work, it isn't the developers, but the publishers behind that.

I get the used games thing and I don't mind that. I do mind the online thing. It's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Sony will announce the same I guarantee it. Developers and publishers need to be making money and if GameStop take all used game profits and others hack consoles to play dodgy pirated games then what can ms do?? Developers are taking a stand IMO they are saying hey Sony and ms put these things in place or we won't be making games for your new consoles

I think ms have been upfront and fair about this!! I think Sony are gonna drop the bomb at e3 or before their launch

Lmfao. Yeah a games developnent company is going to threaten sony and microsoft. Thats like saying if you don't do this i'll kill myself

Pushtrak wrote: »
    After ages of mixed messages with one person saying one thing, and another saying "no, that's not true" or "no that's incomplete" they finally got around to confirming the worst.

It's probable that Sony will have something on the preowned games but if there is some power play at work, it isn't the developers, but the publishers behind that.

I get the used games thing and I don't mind that. I do mind the online thing. It's stupid.

The online thing is to control game management really so numerous consoles can't play a copy of a game at once.. It's all about controlling the games market imo

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »
    Lmfao. Yeah a games developnent company is going to threaten sony and microsoft. Thats like saying if you don't do this i'll kill myself

No but all games companies could be making a stance together as they are sick of being rode by GameStop

The online thing is to control game management really so numerous consoles can't play a copy of a game at once.. It's all about controlling the games market imo
    That may be the intent, but a side effect is limiting the games market too. Normally, a console is something anyone can buy and there isn't any further worries. Now, there are a lot of places globally that the One isn't even an option for. We don't need to look to third world to find examples of this.

Rural areas, for instance. Or for instance where I had been living from September until about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't living in a rural area. Was in a city, with broadband. Student accommodation for third level education. There were around 300 in the one I was in, and there were a good few many others that had a similar thing where you wouldn't be able to get your console online at all*. I'll be looking for elsewhere, but there are a lot of people who we'd understand to be the target market who just will not be able to play the One with this crap.

It isn't wise in business to raise the barriers to entry. If people here are renting and are likely to move to a new place in the next few years, odds are they are looking at weeks of time of not being able to play the One. There is no spinning this online requirement to be a good thing. You can say why they are doing it, and yes, that is so, but it is still a ridiculous move.

*And that is just student accom for one Uni. I imagine a similar situation can be found in other Unis in Ireland and abroad. There is a very large market who would but can't get the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It might sound strange, but for personal reason I cant use the ps4 controller, bit of shame I'm stuck with the Xbox One. Either that or wait 9-12 months for a mod to use the xbox controller on the ps4, but I dont see that happening due to the touch screen on the ps4 controller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

miralize wrote: »
    It might sound strange, but for personal reason I cant use the ps4 controller, bit of shame I'm stuck with the Xbox One. Either that or wait 9-12 months for a mod to use the xbox controller on the ps4, but I dont see that happening due to the touch screen on the ps4 controller

Wait until you try DS4 at least. It has had a lot of significant upgrades.

Wait until you try DS4 at least. It has had a lot of significant upgrades.

Its the analog stick positions that are generally the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Same here but they have increased the handle grip size so that should help with a more natural thumb placement over the rather small DS controllers. It's a kin of going from using the stick on the 3DS to the 3DS xl, no more thumb cramp due to the larger grip area designed for larger hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There'll be 3rd party controllers before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Really? all this crap was the only thing we were talking about after the reveal and they have cancelled their Q+A for E3. It isn't looking good for them at all, just hope Sony can pull it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

I'm no pirate but I'm not handing the keys to my gaming shelf to Microsoft.

ZERO trust after the state of the 360 dash.

They WILL turn off these DRM game servers at some point and your games WILL expire.

I mean, lol, did any of the remaining Xbox defenders actually watch that console reveal? Xbox is business/suit/corporate central. The reveal demonstrated that these people do not give a damn about people like you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm no pirate but I'm not handing the keys to my gaming shelf to Microsoft.

ZERO trust after the state of the 360 dash.

They WILL turn off these DRM game servers at some point and your games WILL expire.

I mean, lol, did any of the remaining Xbox defenders actually watch that console reveal? Xbox is business/suit/corporate central. The reveal demonstrated that these people do not give a damn about people like you and me.

The alternative will be to build a PC because EA have not discontinued their online pass system for no reason. Sony will announce a similar DRM system.

I think this Xbox One is going to be a big seller - bigger than PS4 everywhere but Asia - but maybe not at the beginning. Their focus is not core gamers but people who use their consoles as multi-purpose devices.

Most of the flak this is taking is from people on online forums - and Sony fans seem to be a particularly vocal bunch - but your average joe on the street won't be as vocal whilst still picking it up at Christmas for his kids because he doesn't understand what eSRAM or eDRAM is.

We'll see I suppose. FWIW, it's looking like I'm finally going to take the plunge into PC gaming for the time being. Can't see myself buying either console at launch at this point as nothing is really dragging me in. Quite liked the voice command aspect of things on the Xbox and the fact that both seem to have dedicated capture systems but other than that, so far, meh.

• Advertisement

The alternative will be to build a PC because EA have not discontinued their online pass system for no reason. Sony will announce a similar DRM system.

I think this Xbox One is going to be a big seller - bigger than PS4 everywhere but Asia - but maybe not at the beginning. Their focus is not core gamers but people who use their consoles as multi-purpose devices.

Most of the flak this is taking is from people on online forums - and Sony fans seem to be a particularly vocal bunch - but your average joe on the street won't be as vocal whilst still picking it up at Christmas for his kids because he doesn't understand what eSRAM or eDRAM is.

We'll see I suppose. FWIW, it's looking like I'm finally going to take the plunge into PC gaming for the time being. Can't see myself buying either console at launch at this point as nothing is really dragging me in. Quite liked the voice command aspect of things on the Xbox and the fact that both seem to have dedicated capture systems but other than that, so far, meh.

You make a really good point about the immediate success(or lack thereof) for the XB One. Most of these restrictions are entirely software based. If enough people complain, then we might see changes come retrofitted.

We also dont know what will happen in the future either. Look back at the original 360 dashboard & functions it provided at the start. Fast forward to 2013 and bar the controller & games its totally unrecognisable. Perhaps not for the better, but it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I don't know how you're jumping to these conclusions.

Sony sold 59,355 PS3s in Europe last week compared to 36,414 Xbox 360s.
    What makes you think they'll dominate the European market, especially after their very US centric Xbox one reveal? I can't see the xbox one outselling the ps4, even with it's disastrous launch, one year after the xbox 360 launched, the ps3 has still managed to sell more.
    As you said though, we'll just have to wait and see.

And from what I've been reading it's not sony fans that are being vocal, there are a lot of annoyed xbox and xbox 360 fans out there. Plus a lot of unbiased game journalists aren't too happy with it.

I already have a pc so I don't need a console but I was hoping to have to make a tough choice between the next gen consoles but so far the xboxone is making my choice easy, unless sony mess up at e3 I'll be getting a ps4 at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't know how you're jumping to these conclusions.

Sony sold 59,355 PS3s in Europe last week compared to 36,414 Xbox 360s.
    What makes you think they'll dominate the European market, especially after their very US centric Xbox one reveal? I can't see the xbox one outselling the ps4, even with it's disastrous launch, one year after the xbox 360 launched, the ps3 has still managed to sell more.
    As you said though, we'll just have to wait and see.

I think that the world of consoles is evolving and that a lot of what Microsoft is offering, or at least marketing well, will appeal to a broader range of people.

It's for the family! There's something for everyone in the family! Look, you can have all your TV and gaming and internet browsing all on the one device! You can also jump around and play silly games as a family! Sports fans, look at all this stuff you can do! Like COD and EA Ultimate teams? Who doesn't? We'll have exclusive content and early access!

Guys on forums will recoil in horror at those kind of things but the guys with less of an online presence will lap that **** up. How many people do you know that bought a Wii that would have no idea what Ni No Kuni is? MS will have looked at that coupled with the ridiculous amount of data they can glean from their servers and the likes of the surveys at Xbox Rewards and decided what market to target.
    I already have a pc so I don't need a console but I was hoping to have to make a tough choice between the next gen consoles but so far the xboxone is making my choice easy, unless sony mess up at e3 I'll be getting a ps4 at some stage in the future.

What will make you choose Sony? I honestly haven't seen anything that will make me choose either console. Maybe the 24 hour online thing for the Xbox will make the decision for some people but it has no real bearing on my gaming experience as I'm never not signed in when playing a game.

As long as my ISP doesn't **** around, I can be confident that I will be able to play my games as MS's track record with their servers is excellent. If my ISP is having issues, I get a new ISP as I don't want to be spending my money on a **** service.

Actually, PS Plus is a far superior service to Gold in that it offers far more bang for your buck. MS will have to do something to counteract that, I would imagine.

Edit: On the PS3 vrs 360 sales figures, I'm not sure what bearing they have on a debate about two completely different consoles. Unless we think that brand loyalty is the biggest decider? People basically buying PS4, regardless of features because they liked the PS3? If that's the case then it doesn't really matter what either side offers up as the market spread will remain static.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Guys on forums will recoil in horror at those kind of things but the guys with less of an online presence will lap that **** up. How many people do you know that bought a Wii that would have no idea what Ni No Kuni is? MS will have looked at that coupled with the ridiculous amount of data they can glean from their servers and the likes of the surveys at Xbox Rewards and decided what market to target.

I don't think that's a fair analysis of your average game buyer. I certainly do think that the negative exposure that the One is getting will impact heavily on it's early success at the least. I believe that most people (even the casual, family-orientated gamer) researches which console to buy before parting with a pretty significant sum of money. The Wii was such a success with the casual market because it had a novelty factor which we hadn't seem before, and it played to it's strengths with the games that were released. I haven't seen anything that the Xbox One can do that we have never seen before, certainly nothing with a 'wow' factor.
    What will make you choose Sony? I honestly haven't seen anything that will make me choose either console. Maybe the 24 hour online thing for the Xbox will make the decision for some people but it has no real bearing on my gaming experience as I'm never not signed in when playing a game.

As long as my ISP doesn't **** around, I can be confident that I will be able to play my games as MS's track record with their servers is excellent. If my ISP is having issues, I get a new ISP as I don't want to be spending my money on a **** service.

I take your point, and I don't think many people are worried about server downtime. MS has proven it can provide a reliable service in that regard. However, what about people who need to travel a lot with no guaranteed internet connection, or people who want to take their xbox on holiday for when it rains. And what about you in 15 years time when you decide to play some of the games you loved on your old system? Where will the servers be then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So the X1 death nail approaches, 90 mins......Sony ftw![/url]
    It's nice to see impartiality in posts... Oh, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Before the trolls have their day, what do Microsoft need to do in their conference to make you a future Xbone owner?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Otacon wrote: »
    Before the trolls have their day, what do Microsoft need to do in their conference to make you a future Xbone owner?

Blowjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Scratch all that **** you heard before, here's the Xbox two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

they need to confirm the price point and also the price point for buying games via digital download. I'm ready to embrace the future (a la steam) but I want there to be a definitive discount available. the so called sales on xbox live at the moment are ridiculous, 4 year old games for 20 euro, 99% of them can be found new online from the like of play.com for under a tenner for a physical boxed copy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement