Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Didn't see microsoft's show, anyone tell me how many games the xboxone will have at launch and are they exclusive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Titanfall was the only interesting game for Xbox one (and I'm a big KI fan but wasn't that pushed by the new KI)

Ps4 could pull through thankfully. Lets hope they don't focus on their camera or DRM stuff and the future of gaming will be green.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The way I look at it is. If you get it at launch at €500 that will be around for 8 years before it's replacement is due. Or you can wait for it's end of life, get it for €200 with 2 years left for replacement. Value for money.

An xbox that lasts 8 years....that'll be the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

An xbox that lasts 8 years....that'll be the day :pac:

My Xbox is still working. Made like a cinder block.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just to get the console, a game, the yearly subscription and an extra controller you'll likely be looking at around €650. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

e_e wrote: »
    Just to get the console, a game, the yearly subscription and an extra controller you'll likely be looking at around €650. Ridiculous.

Thats exactly the same amount I payed for a 360 day one with 2 games and an extra joypad....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It cracks me up to see people raving about the price. The same people are probably posting from 400 quid iPhones, androids or ipads that they'll change every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

500 bucks:eek:

I'll only consider buying if Forza 5 is out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Adam Sessler Review of Microsofts conference:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJl4V8bsfPI

Some very good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

500 bucks:eek:

I'll only consider buying if Forza 5 is out of this world.

Forza in space? I like your concept!!

• Advertisement

Based on what I've seen so far, this is going to be a day 1 purchase for me, based off of the look of battlefield 4, forza 5 and call of duty ghosts alone.Ryse looks great, watching the demo made me feel like when I saw call of duty 2's normandy landing scene at the xbox 360's launch - I couldnt believe I was playing something that looked so good. I'm still going to be holding onto my 360 as I have some great games to finish (red dead redemption, far cry 3, dishonored, mass effect 3 plus lord knows how many hours I'll be sinking into gta 5). Its a case of too many great games, too little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIyVyH_Tr6o&feature=g-subs-u

For those who missed it.

It was far better than E3 last year and like they said it was all about the games and they were actual games, not kinect shovelware. I liked what I saw but I need to see if it is xbox exclusive out of just PS4 and XB1 or exclusive including PC. They were games I would buy if I had a XB1 but I wouldnt buy a XB1 for the games yet.

It just says 'no stream' when I try and watch it. Any other links to try?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    It just says 'no stream' when I try and watch it. Any other links to try?

Skip 15mins into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It cracks me up to see people raving about the price. The same people are probably posting from 400 quid iPhones, androids or ipads that they'll change every 2 years.

This is it, and if they break their iphone they'd think nothing of buying a new one!

I play Madden (obviously!) and not much else.
    My wife is not keen on me getting a new xbox as i play in a couple of Madden leagues...
    So i broke down a cost/benefit analysis.

Since 2007 the xbox, games, XBL etc have probably cost me €2,000.
    So over 6 years all in its probably cost me about €330
    Which is 3/4 nights in town
    Pretty excellent entertainment for that price tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thought Id post it here as it was annoyingly difficult to find despite MS saying its on the Reserve now site (I couldnt find it there, its actually linked from there in the Disclaimer of all places.. dumb):

Xbox One-Supported Xbox Live Countries
    1. Australia
    2. Austria
    3. Belgium
    4. Brazil
    5. Canada
    6. Denmark
    7. Finland
    8. France
    9. Germany
    10. Ireland
    11. Italy
    12. Mexico
    13. Netherlands
    14. New Zealand
    15. Norway
    16. Russia
    17. Spain
    18. Sweden
    19. Switzerland
    20. United Kingdom
    21. United States
    Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions.

You will notice no Japan, Korea, China, Singapore, Malaysia, India etc!
    Its the who's who of the "Western World".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Not exactly a fair comparison given most mobile companies heavily subsidise the up-front payment for a new phone down to 100 to 200 for a top-spec smartphone.

Also, having something as powerful as a netbook contained in something the size of your pocket means it's going to cost. Miniaturisation is expensive.

Lastly, the handset/tablet manufacturers make comparitively little in after-sales compared to the console manufacturers.

Remove the miniaturisation and add in the massive licensing and additional revenue on game sales plus the subscription and the cost of owning a console goes into the thousands quite easily.

I've easily spent more per year on xbox games than I have on replacing my mobile handset and MS are getting a good sized chunk each time. The consoles are subsidised for this very reason. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to subsidise it a little bit more.

This is it, and if they break their iphone they'd think nothing of buying a new one!

My wife is not keen on me getting a new xbox as i play in a couple of Madden leagues...

exactly! you want to talk overpriced? sky plus with sports is 840 notes a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

To put a bit of perspective on this though, it's a €500 initial price plus the €45/€50 cost each time for a new game along with another €40-€60 for an Xbox Live subscription. A device like a Tablet doesn't really incur such costs over the period of its use.

However, at the end of the day you can't compare the two devices. Whether you are willing to pay €500 for an Xbox or an iPhone all comes down to where you see the value gained from a device. I personally don't think the Xbox is absurdly priced, giving its high spec and inclusion of the Kinect sensor.

Not exactly a fair comparison given most mobile companies heavily subsidise the up-front payment for a new phone down to 100 to 200 for a top-spec smartphone.

Also, having something as powerful as a netbook contained in something the size of your pocket means it's going to cost. Miniaturisation is expensive.

Lastly, the handset/tablet manufacturers make comparitively little in after-sales compared to the console manufacturers.

Remove the miniaturisation and add in the massive licensing and additional revenue on game sales plus the subscription and the cost of owning a console goes into the thousands quite easily.

I've easily spent more per year on xbox games than I have on replacing my mobile handset and MS are getting a good sized chunk each time. The consoles are subsidised for this very reason. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to subsidise it a little bit more.

I dont think every secondary school kid is after signing up for a bill pay setup to avail of the subsidisation. also, the call charges are different depending on the offset applied to your handset. it'd be like microsoft saying "you can have the console for free, but xbox live is now going to cost you 60 euros a month, and you're locked in for 18 months.

subsidisation is an illusion to get you to sign up in the first place.

• Advertisement

just as a quick test, I checked the cost of the sega megadrive for its launch back in 1990 (190 GBP), adjusted for inflation using http://www.westegg.com/inflation/, that comes in at 328 gbp now. covert that to euros and you have 385 euros.

so all in all, the prices of cutting end electronics havent jumped that dramatically, even though their functionality clearly has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Based on what I've seen so far, this is going to be a day 1 purchase for me, based off of the look of battlefield 4, forza 5 and call of duty ghosts alone.Ryse looks great, watching the demo made me feel like when I saw call of duty 2's normandy landing scene at the xbox 360's launch - I couldnt believe I was playing something that looked so good. I'm still going to be holding onto my 360 as I have some great games to finish (red dead redemption, far cry 3, dishonored, mass effect 3 plus lord knows how many hours I'll be sinking into gta 5). Its a case of too many great games, too little time.

The Battlefield 4 demo being played not on the Xbone but, was played on the PC.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1g23ao/battlefield_4_shown_on_pc_at_xbox_one_e3/

All games except handheld versions are running on PCs at E3. There are no finished XBones or PS4s there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

The Battlefield 4 demo being played not on the Xbone but, was played on the PC.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1g23ao/battlefield_4_shown_on_pc_at_xbox_one_e3/
    It play on Xbox development kit which is PC with Xbox one specs so what you saw you will get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Just watching the Sony E3 thing. Good bye Microsoft and Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just watching the Sony E3 thing. Good bye Microsoft and Xbox.

I couldnt watch it, kept breaking up or pausing constantly...

Nice to see that the Sony approached the same VCR like design...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

PS4 only 399euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sony just won the console battle....GAME OVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

RIP Xbone 2013-2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I can't believe how far apart the two consoles are. Seriously did MS not even consider what the competition was doing? It's like they just made their own wish list and did exactly what they wanted without due regard for the consumer or the competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement