Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

sink wrote: »
    I can't believe how far apart the two consoles are. Seriously did MS not even consider what the competition was doing? It's like they just made their own wish list and did exactly what they wanted without due regard for the consumer or the competition.

Yes, but you're forgetting that the Xbone helps solve the age old problem of how to watch TV. You can't put a price on that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

sink wrote: »
    I can't believe how far apart the two consoles are. Seriously did MS not even consider what the competition was doing? It's like they just made their own wish list and did exactly what they wanted without due regard for the consumer or the competition.

The funniest thing about it is Microsoft will so nothing for about a year.
    Xbox One will have weak sales everybody will be bitching but MS will do nothing.
    This time next year well be hearing rumours of how they'll turn things around.
    Just like Windows Phone, look how long it took them to stick the start button back in Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's like they switched places from the last console reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

beno619 wrote: »
    The funniest thing about it is Microsoft will so nothing for about a year.
    Xbox One will have weak sales everybody will be bitching but MS will do nothing.
    This time next year well be hearing rumours of how they'll turn things around.
    Just like Windows Phone, look how long it took them to stick the start button back in Windows 8.

But it's JUST the Start button.. NOT the Start Menu - all it is is a visual cue to bring you back to the Metro Start screen :rolleyes:

I see as well this morning that they're trying to get rid of the last of the 360's - from here
    Microsoft kicked off its Electronic Entertainment Expo presentation today by unveiling a new Xbox 360 with a design inspired by its upcoming next-generation Xbox One console.

Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft’s vice president of marketing and strategy, says the updated Xbox 360 is “smaller, sleeker and as quiet as ever.” Mt Mehdi added it would be available beginning today.

Who is gonna buy that with the next generation consoles just around the corner??!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    But it's JUST the Start button.. NOT the Start Menu - all it is is a visual cue to bring you back to the Metro Start screen :rolleyes:

If that's true then thier even more clueless and arrogant than I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Ok my thoughts on yesterday. From my point of view here is what stood out for me.

Microsoft
    Positives-Stronger launch titles, free kinect, TV support, Controller
    Negatives-Price, DRM, Second hand games, No indie support

PS4
    Positives-Price, No DRM, Second hand games, Indie support
    Negatives-V weak games,PSN no longer free, Gaikai at least 6 months away, no kinect

Not sure why people are saying this is a slam dunk for Sony to be honest, I thought both launches had very weak points. Content for me wins and the only game I want to play out of everything yesterday is Titanfall and thats on PC too so why on earth would I get a console at launch?

Keep playing my 360 until the first or second price cut on next gen in about a year or 18 months im thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

beno619 wrote: »
    If that's true then thier even more clueless and arrogant than I thought.

fraid so...
    First, adding back the Start button, but not hooking that up to the other vital component — the Start menu — doesn't, in my opinion, help much. If anything, all it does is throw more confusion and change at users who are already suffering a decline in productivity thanks to the changes made in Windows 8.

While many people have been calling for the return of the Start button, I don't think it was the Start button they actually wanted back, but the Start menu. Rather than a focused part of the screen devoted to applications and settings, users are now dumped, blinking and confused, into what is essentially a full-screen Start menu.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

This tells you everything you need to know about M$, why listen to consumers or fans the fat cat in a suit making 20 million a year knows better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Does the PS4 have any on the DRM BS? If not, I'm amazed MS went with by themselves. If so, coupled with the price difference Sony just killed the One. Were there any decent third party xbox style controllers for the PS3, never got on with the Sony's design.

Price point surely isnt the only reason people will buy a console?
    I want games goddammit! Id happily pay 600 if it was a platform for the most amazing games of all times. Neither of these seem to be yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Price point surely isnt the only reason people will buy a console?
    I want games goddammit! Id happily pay 600 if it was a platform for the most amazing games of all times. Neither of these seem to be yet

Price isn't the only reason, but I'd desperately been waiting for MS to do something that would convince me to stick with them over Sony.
    €100 cheaper for a more powerful console? Decision made, so long MS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that was anything but a crushing win for Sory needs to really reevaluate their reasons why. They have beaten MS in every conceivable primary category including games The only area where MS are ahead is the game capturing tech.

The PS4 ad about swapping games is hilarious but shows up how fcuked up MS position is on used games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that was anything but a crushing win for Sory needs to really reevaluate their reasons why. They have beaten MS in every conceivable primary category including games The only area where MS are areas is the game capturing tech.

The PS4 ad about swapping games is hilarious but shows up how fcuked up MS position is on used games.

When you're using free kinect, the controller and tv support as positives in a bid to say there wasn't much between them...

The only thing that was of interest to me on XBone was Project Sparks and that's out on PC too. I'm not a racing game fan but even The Crew looks superb.

For 499 ill be picking up a more powerful console, a game, an extra controller and a PS+ membership.

For the same money, MS gives a less powerful, TV-centric, American- centric machine and an achievement. And when I saw achievement, I mean the new bastardized version of achievements.

MS have lost E3 so convincingly, it's laughable. And this is coming from an XBOx mod who played MS and Nintendo machines almost exclusively this gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The only thing that was of interest to me on XBone was Project Sparks and that's out on PC too. I'm not a racing game fan but even The Crew looks superb.

For 499 ill be picking up a more powerful console, a game, an extra controller and a PS+ membership.

For the same money, MS gives a less powerful, TV-centric, American- centric machine and an achievement. And when I saw achievement, I mean the new bastardized version of achievements.

MS have lost E3 so convincingly, it's laughable. And this is coming from an XBOx mod who played MS and Nintendo machines almost exclusively this gen.

The only thing that interested me on Xbox One was Tital Fall or something... It looked pretty sweet...

Going with PS4 myself... I was told that with Xbox One you can trade your games or something you just have to re-register them... Is this the case or how is the whole restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

The only thing that interested me on Xbox One was Tital Fall or something... It looked pretty sweet...

Going with PS4 myself... I was told that with Xbox One you can trade your games or something you just have to re-register them... Is this the case or how is the whole restrictions?

Yep, all xbone had going for it was Titanfall and its been announced as a 360 title too lol.

PS4 hands down

Yep, all xbone had going for it was Titanfall and its been announced as a 360 title too lol.

PS4 hands down

Has it really? Sweet as a nut
    So long next gen, this gen will do me just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

PS4 hands down

I think it has been announced for PS4 LOL .. Or at least it shows up on zavvi that it can also be pre-ordered for PS4 hopefully it can..

And here is the brilliant thing. The 100 saved will part pay for a Wii U. I expect a massive showing of AAA games from Nintendo today.

PS4 and Wii U seems to be a lock for next gen in the same way I felt the XBox and Wii were last gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

This is why ps4 destroyed xbone:

http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They have beaten MS in every conceivable primary category including games The only area where MS are areas is the game capturing tech.

I'm not so sure they won there, I think the launch games for PS4 are pretty weak (not that XBone's are much better)

But I do agree completely they blew the Xbox out of the water lastnight, PS4 will be a launch purchase for me. Probably pick up an Xbone towards the end of 2014 when the price drops/more games I want to play on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

So long next gen, this gen will do me just fine

Happy out with current gen. At the moment, for me, nothing about next gen blows current gen out of the water let alone PS4 v X1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Going to go with a ps4 myself but had the Xbox not had DRM it would of been a lot closer. The DRM is just too big of a negative for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Titanfall - an appropriate title for the only (mildly) interesting"exclusive" on the xbone, given how far M$ appear to have fallen since this omnishambles of a console was first announced.

anyone still thinking of buying into this mess after E3 really has zero self respect or respect for your fellow gamers imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

mcgooch wrote: »

anyone still thinking of buying into this mess after E3 really has zero self respect or respect for your fellow gamers imo.

Ha. Don't be such a drama llama. Yes the PS4 appears to be wiping the floor with the Xbox One but let's not start talking about self-respect when discussing consumer-electronics.

PS4 for me too but really hoping a decent 3rd party controller comes out that mirrors the Xbox controller. The dual shocks give my big fat hands shocking hand-cramp after extended use.

Failing that, a nice 500 quid upgrade to the PC could be in order.

mcgooch wrote: »
    Titanfall - an appropriate title for the only (mildly) interesting"exclusive" on the xbone, given how far M$ appear to have fallen since this omnishambles of a console was first announced.

For crying out loud what are you on about?
    The xbox games line up is far stronger than the PS4's but neither are any good being brutally honest considering most of the games are also on current generation.
    Fanboy drivel helps no one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm not so sure they won there, I think the launch games for PS4 are pretty weak (not that XBone's are much better)

But I do agree completely they blew the Xbox out of the water lastnight, PS4 will be a launch purchase for me. Probably pick up an Xbone towards the end of 2014 when the price drops/more games I want to play on it.

I thought the game selection on XB1 was much more interesting, but unless they come back with something to keep people happy it's PS4 for me at some point.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I wonder are MS shocked at Sony's move or did they know it was coming and run with DRM anyways?

If they are shocked then they are idiots and where was the finger when it should have been on the pulse?

If they knew it was coming and did it anyways they are idiots because no company should be that brave.

They either really underestimate the weight of the opinion of each households' geek gamer and think normal people will choose Xbox, or they have some really strong reassurances that developers will favour Xbox over PS4 due to the DRM that saves/earns the developers money.

Will developers leave the PS4 in the cold? Big gamble if the PS4 ends up outselling the Xbox One by a serious amount which looks like it could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

For crying out loud what are you on about?
    The xbox games line up is far stronger than the PS4's but neither are any good being brutally honest considering most of the games are also on current generation.
    Fanboy drivel helps no one

Please convince me and what apparently appears to be the majority of this thread how the Xbone has a better launch line up, because I honestly have no idea how you're thinking this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement