Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Looks like Sony did their homework boys... No DRM, competitive pricing, commitment to back catalogue, titles that interest me... I don't like that they sidestepped the fact that PSN Plus is necessary for multiplayer - had to pause and look that **** up...

There was definitely a different image presented of Sony at this conference, a much more humble and playful side. Still the fake marketing BS, but that's to be expected.

There was some stalling on the PS4 gameplay side and there was stalling on the Microsoft side...

Microsoft dun ****ed it up... The fact that they're offering FREE GAMES with XBox live is testament to the self realisation that they done ****ed it up... I'll be reinvesting in Gold for that...

However, Sony just won my vote... Provided I can find out if that eyetoy ****e doesn't come shipped with the console... I don't want it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Wow,

they hit a major blow with the price point and the DRM issue.

This could pose a major dilemma for game studios. do you bring back online passes and look like the bad guy? do you stop developing for a console that sees your profits fall due to used game usage? do you make games more expensive for that console? - or will the probably larger install base due to the price point close the gap?
    TBH, i reckon microsofts DRM stance was publisher driven, could be that by bowing to pressure, they've shot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Going to go with a ps4 myself but had the Xbox, not had DRM it would of been a lot closer. The DRM is just too big of a negative for me.

That drm is abhorrent to me. Even if the Xbox didn't require kinect, was cheaper, more powerful I'd still go for the Playstation. I refuse to buy a product that treats me like a pirate.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

Fanboy drivel helps no one

Fanboyism has nothing to do with it. If we, as consumers, willingly buy into what is essentially M$ destroying game ownership in favor of their product-licensing/DRM policies, given there will be better, more consumer-friendly models available, then we, as consumers have no self-respect and will be getting exactly what we deserve.

That drm is abhorrent to me. Even if the Xbox didn't require kinect, was cheaper, more powerful I'd still go for the Playstation. I refuse to buy a product that treats me like a pirate.

aaarrrr!, ya cant be serious? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

And Sony's marketing team open with a haymaker:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Slugs wrote: »

However, Sony just won my vote... Provided I can find out if that eyetoy ****e doesn't come shipped with the console... I don't want it...

Ps4 doesn't require the camera and it doesn't come with the console (Alleluia!)

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130611a_e.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For the most part, I feel that Microsoft played it very safe with their conference - there was no real passion in their delivery. There were so many things that they tried to show that some of them didn't even get a description or an introduction, just a brief video roll and then on to the next thing.

I haven't seen a tech company come out swinging at a press conference like this. Sony really went to town on Microsoft and everything that Fans have been complaining about the Xbox One (Online connection, convoluted sharing mechanism, etc.)

Sony have really gone for the jugular on this one and I believe Microsoft weren't expecting such a straight-up fight.

Microsoft pulled themselves back off the ropes a bit with their line up of games, but Sony smell blood and know that they could get a big head-start with the public before they launch and are really going for the kill (even with videos like the one above that just rip into Microsoft)

The next few months until launch look like they will be really interesting to see how Microsoft react (the two free Xbox 360 games per month until November is a start, and tries to ensure that people stay with Xbox Live until the One launches).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So disappointing as an Xbox 360 owner. MS really fecked up this time.

I can't justify paying an extra €100 for a console that has more restrictions on it. They had me for the taking, as well as most other 360 owners. I had grown accustomed to the controller and now love it, same with Xbox Live.

It looks like I'll be getting a Sony console for the first time in 13 years.
    And Sony's marketing team open with a haymaker:

This is very funny, but it's practically spam now on Boards.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    This is very funny, but it's practically spam now on Boards.

Mea culpa - I've been monitoring as few threads as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Ps4 doesn't require the camera and it doesn't come with the console (Alleluia!)

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130611a_e.pdf
    Thank you for confirming that...

DADDY, I'M COMING HOME!

^That reveal alone brought tears to my eyes...

I can't justify paying an extra €100 for a console that has more restrictions on it. They had me for the taking, as well as most other 360 owners. I had grown accustomed to the controller and now love it, same with Xbox Live.

I'm in the same boat, I was convinced the PS4 was going to be the same price, then it would have been a no-brainer. now, I'm not so sure.

Still, I like the xbox user interface better than sonys who have always felt very utilitarian IMO, also MS has franchises I'm more interested in. The DRM issue doesnt bother me as I never trade games or lend them either. but i can understand how others (specially younger gamers without disposable income).

I think I'll still pre-order but may consider walking away depending on what further information comes to light / what steps MS takes to counter the current onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Third console curse for MS. They should have learned a lesson from other manufacturers arrogance. I'm still amazed at how much they've ****ed it up. I think the 360 is one of the great consoles of all time and if you asked me six months ago would I purchase it successor my answer would have been "day one". How they managed to turn that into "not a hope" is some achievement. I believe that they don't have the right personnel leading this, that they are missing a product visionary. I'd find it hard to imagine that J allard would have allowed this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next Xbox executive board room meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Mr E wrote: »

Imagine being employed by Xbox One's PR department? They'd want to be on some money after this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I'm a current XBox 360 owner, also owned a PS1 and PS2 before switching. Bought a PS3 aswell but mainly used as a bluray player as I preferred the 360.

I'm kinda disappointed by the One. Seems to be a bit too much focus on the home entertainment side of things. I doubt I'd used gestures much to control things, joypad is just fine or even a remote. Mandatory Kinect? No thanks. I rarely buy pre-owned games (wouldnt buy that many games altogether) and I'm always connected to the net as I mostly play online games but still, the whole DRM and internet issue is crap.

I honestly dont want to get a PS4 as I prefer the 360/One joypad and the XBox Live service but MS are making it difficult not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Mr E wrote: »

Went something like this I bet, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np9tBI7_nq8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

honestly. pick any poster on this thread. they could of thought up a definately better e3 than microsoft. microsoft is so over scripted(as is everyone) but with microsoft you could drink yourself into a coma by drinking when tv is mentioned

Arawn wrote: »
    honestly. pick any poster on this thread. they could of thought up a definately better e3 than microsoft. microsoft is so over scripted(as is everyone) but with microsoft you could drink yourself into a coma by drinking when tv is mentioned

It's clear that corporate culture has pushed the creatives out. Sad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Still getting a Xbox 1. As I said before, the DRM doesn't bother me and the games look great. Expected the price as well so it doesn't shock me.

• Advertisement

V9 wrote: »
    Still getting a Xbox 1. As I said before, the DRM doesn't bother me and the games look great. Expected the price as well so it doesn't shock me.

Do you ever play games that are a few years old in your collection? Every DRM system made has ended and taken people's content with it.

Your games will expire. It's just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Not a lot of love for the Xbox One on here, and to be fair, it's easy to see why. Fair play to Sony for their better pricing and no on-line necessity and used games ban, but why can't they bring out a better joy-pad? That thing is a hacked version of the dated PS1 controller that they had to modify (badly) to compete with the N64 analog one.
    All things considered though, looks like Sony will take the early lead in this war, and unless MS reconsider a few things, they'll stay in 2nd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Not a lot of love for the Xbox One on here, and to be fair, it's easy to see why. Fair play to Sony for their better pricing and no on-line necessity and used games ban, but why can't they bring out a better joy-pad? That thing is a hacked version of the dated PS1 controller that they had to modify (badly) to compete with the N64 analog one.
    All things considered though, looks like Sony will take the early lead in this war, and unless MS reconsider a few things, they'll stay in 2nd place.

I'm hoping there will be an xbox style 3rd party joypad release quickly.

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm hoping there will be an xbox style 3rd party joypad release quickly.

I'd be hoping the same. I had one for the PS3 for a while but the quality was terrible - made out of far inferior materials and the battery life was terrible.

If a decently made one comes out then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd be hoping the same. I had one for the PS3 for a while but the quality was terrible - made out of far inferior materials and the battery life was terrible.

If a decently made one comes out then happy days.
    Sony did have a restyled controller concept for the PS3, but it never materialised. Wonder why? They badly need one.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Sony did have a restyled controller concept for the PS3, but it never materialised. Wonder why? They badly need one.

Not sure. Even the new Oyua controller has the off-set thumb sticks. It makes a lot of sense. Stubborness of Sony's part? Something to do with costs of manufacturing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The battery life in the DS3 is excellent.

Third party controllers have almost always been rubbish, in fact I cant think of any off the top of my head that were good, they never have the same build quality as the original units, or have some 'innovation' that only makes them worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/xbox-one-play-and-charge-kit-chat-headset/
    http://kotaku.com/heres-the-xbox-ones-spiffy-new-headset-512462045

This time the MS console will not have the standard headset included with the console and they also have a new connection port for the microphones. Hopefully some third party can make a decent converter to 3.5mm jacks so we can use PC headsets.
    Furthermore, if you want to recharge you controllers, the play and charge kits are not included (like last time). Users will have to buy a lithium battery and charger cable separately.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/54359/ps4-comes-with-a-500-gb-hdd-hdmi-cable-headset-camera-sold-seperately
    http://www.psu.com/a018438/
    Contrast this to the PS4 where the headset will come bundled with the console, uses a 3.55mm jack. And the controller can be charged with a standard mini usb cable without buying an additional kit.

It seems silly to have such a difference on the usability from the start, and why MS would choose to create their own set of connections instead of going with pre-existing standards.

• Advertisement

The battery life in the DS3 is excellent.

We're talking about 3rd party controllers. Not the official ones. Which are crap thanks to the thumbstick placements and tiny grips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement