Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm hoping there will be an xbox style 3rd party joypad release quickly.

That is the main reason I probably won't switch to PS4, every other third party controller was always terribad and the dead zones were way off.

If I do switch over i'll be getting a Xim3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Do you ever play games that are a few years old in your collection? Every DRM system made has ended and taken people's content with it.

Your games will expire. It's just a matter of time.

Here is how it is: I saw a console with games I want to play. I will buy these games first hand and play them. Eventually I will get bored of it and get a new game. I might trade in that old game for said new game in gamestop. Play it and the cycle continues.

I did rent games on the 360 due to not being sure if a game was worth full price. If there is no renting allowed on the one, I'll just have to try a demo or make a judgement call of I want to spend the price in full or wait for a drop.

I've been gaming a long time using the above methods and I am a bloody happy one for it. I like to own my games first hand, I only bought one second hand game ever. The trading in policy is just a way of me getting a brand new game for a reduced price.

Like I said, I'm a happy gamer, and no I don't care about joe bloggs in the sticks with no high speed connection, I care about my group of friends and what they have coz its them I interact with.

A popular opinion or not, I don't really care, fact is, too many people are taking such personal offence to a product that is just for having some fun with. If you like the games the One has, just go get it, if you prefer the ps4, get that. Or get both! ****, there isn't a gun to yet head to get one or the other. If you can't afford that then make yet choice on what you will have some craic with.

For me that's the Xbox, a choice made purely by knowing I'll have fun with the games and my mates will be getting it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It was posted on another forum and I don't have the figures, but someone said Xbox One pre-sales are "impressive".

I'm disappointed. I've owned most consoles since I first got a NES with lightgun and mario/duckhunt. I remember being a child and brand "loyalty" was the big thing. I got a Sega Gamegear when everyone else on my road got gameboys.

"Look at the amazing colour graphics!", I'd say, while tethered by an AC power cord to the wall, while everyone else was able to be mobile for hours with only a handful of cheap AA batteries.

And so it began. I would "defend" Sega against my friends and their nintendos, despite owning a SNES by this stage I still felt the loyalty only a child can feel for a large multinational corporation fronted by a blue hedgehog.

It disappoints me that even now, as an older but still keen gamer, that I see the same crap has been magnified by the internet. "Fanboys" wage flame wars across a global scale with an extreme zealousness that would make even the most radical terrorist blush.

I'm currently making my way through Bioshock, on the Xbox, because I prefer the controller. I use the PS3 mostly for FIFA with friends or playing Blu Rays. I don't care who has the most exclusives, for every Halo there is a Killzone and in the end it mostly balances out.

What worries me is that these "fanboys" may be sealing the fates of all gamers. How anyone can support Microsoft's business model, ripped from apple, of a "walled garden" is beyond me. But I would hazard that most of those pre-ordering are not thinking long-term and simply want the new xbox and its shiny launch day titles to sate their hunger for "next gen". I'd like to think that Sony will triumph, gamers will vote with their wallets and say "Hey MS, this isn't on, we work hard to buy these games and we deserve to own them and sell them on as we wish".

It's not so much the technical requirements or limitations imposed by Xbox one that annoy me. I'm sure in practice they will prove a minor inconvenience for most. It's the complete lack of respect for your customer base that galls me. I won't buy a product from a company that only wants to squeeze as much as possible out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Third party controllers have almost always been rubbish, in fact I cant think of any off the top of my head that were good, they never have the same build quality as the original units, or have some 'innovation' that only makes them worse.

Razer sabertooth controllers.
    While I never had one, I have a Razer Onza, which I love to bits despite its faulty deadzones. I understand the Sabertooth is an improvement in all aspects over the Onza.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm disappointed. I've owned most consoles since I first got a NES with lightgun and mario/duckhunt. I remember being a child and brand "loyalty" was the big thing. I got a Sega Gamegear when everyone else on my road got gameboys.

"

Or maybe some of us have had both systems and in the past Sony were light years behind MS when it came to gaming.

The ease of jumping in and out of parties while playing with friends compared to PS amongst other things.
    I always considered PS to be a bit of a Fail compared to MS and I will not make my mind up until I see what all my friends are getting and it's near launch day.

MS messed up this time, but most people are blowing it out of portion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

DirkVoodoo, I agree with you, but then you mentioned fanboys sealing the fate of gaming by buying MS. So kind of going against your own argument by saying that it will be fanboys buying MS? Maybe that's not what you intended.

Anyways, some of things that are causing the biggest stir don't bother me too much. I very rarely bought used games, cant remember the last one I bought. I dont share games with mates, as they normally get the same onse anyways and we play online. Most of my gaming is online, I like the satisfaction of beating a human opponent as opposed to AI :) Dont play an awful alot offline. So the internet issue wouldnt be as big a deal.

Thats not to say there isn't anything that bothers me about the XBox One, there is still quite a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CORaven wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/xbox-one-play-and-charge-kit-chat-headset/
    http://kotaku.com/heres-the-xbox-ones-spiffy-new-headset-512462045

This time the MS console will not have the standard headset included with the console and they also have a new connection port for the microphones. Hopefully some third party can make a decent converter to 3.5mm jacks so we can use PC headsets.
    Furthermore, if you want to recharge you controllers, the play and charge kits are not included (like last time). Users will have to buy a lithium battery and charger cable separately.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/54359/ps4-comes-with-a-500-gb-hdd-hdmi-cable-headset-camera-sold-seperately
    http://www.psu.com/a018438/
    Contrast this to the PS4 where the headset will come bundled with the console, uses a 3.55mm jack. And the controller can be charged with a standard mini usb cable without buying an additional kit.

It seems silly to have such a difference on the usability from the start, and why MS would choose to create their own set of connections instead of going with pre-existing standards.

where does it say that they're not included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

V9 wrote: »
    Here is how it is: I saw a console with games I want to play. I will buy these games first hand and play them. Eventually I will get bored of it and get a new game. I might trade in that old game for said new game in gamestop. Play it and the cycle continues.

I did rent games on the 360 due to not being sure if a game was worth full price. If there is no renting allowed on the one, I'll just have to try a demo or make a judgement call of I want to spend the price in full or wait for a drop.

I've been gaming a long time using the above methods and I am a bloody happy one for it. I like to own my games first hand, I only bought one second hand game ever. The trading in policy is just a way of me getting a brand new game for a reduced price.

Like I said, I'm a happy gamer, and no I don't care about joe bloggs in the sticks with no high speed connection, I care about my group of friends and what they have coz its them I interact with.

A popular opinion or not, I don't really care, fact is, too many people are taking such personal offence to a product that is just for having some fun with. If you like the games the One has, just go get it, if you prefer the ps4, get that. Or get both! ****, there isn't a gun to yet head to get one or the other. If you can't afford that then make yet choice on what you will have some craic with.

For me that's the Xbox, a choice made purely by knowing I'll have fun with the games and my mates will be getting it too.

Have you really never gone back to an old game you enjoyed or taken a while to get around to completing a game? Are games really that "disposable" for you?

My mates won't be getting a one that's for sure. And we all had 360 this gen (I get pretty much every console but I won't support one because it takes away your consumer rights).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I currently have a 360, never had a playstation but after watching both press conferences it really feels like I'm being stabbed in the back by microsoft.. I get the impression they really don't care about your average gamer like me who mainly plays offline and buys used games simply because I can't afford to buy most games brand new. This doesn't mean to say I won't end up getting the xbox one, being honest I probably won't buy a new console for 2/3 years as long as my 360 is still working and games are still coming out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I won't buy a product from a company that only wants to squeeze as much as possible out of me.

Microsoft must genuinely be trying to minimise losses as much as possible, the console side of their business is hugely loss making as has been for years, so I guess they are trying to recoup some of that.

I sincerely hope they don't bow out of the race after last nights conferences [and after the 8th generation], the market needs competition in order to innovate and thrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I did rent games on the 360 due to not being sure if a game was worth full price. If there is no renting allowed on the one....

That hadn't even crossed my mind. Until recently I was using gameclick and renting 2 games a month, was going to start back up again next month and clear a backlog - is it safe to assume the DRM means the death of renting?

where does it say that they're not included?

http://www.webpronews.com/e3-2013-xbox-one-launch-details-unveiled-2013-06
    Xbox One headsets, which are not included with an Xbox One purchase, will be available for purchase at the system’s launch. Additional Xbox One controllers and play & charge kits for the new controllers will also be available at that time.

http://www.webpronews.com/e3-2013-xbox-one-launch-details-unveiled-2013-06
    Xbox One headsets, which are not included with an Xbox One purchase, will be available for purchase at the system’s launch. Additional Xbox One controllers and play & charge kits for the new controllers will also be available at that time.

If you're not using a third party headset like Turtle Beach/Tritton etc you're doing it wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It was posted on another forum and I don't have the figures, but someone said Xbox One pre-sales are "impressive".

Well on amazon.com, PS4 is number 1 in the video games category and Xbox One is number 2.

That is already a reversal of the Xbox 360/PS3 positions in the US market.

My prediction is:

Asia: PS4 will dominate, the X1 will barely register same as the PS3/X360

Europe: PS3 outsold the X360 but not decisively. I believe the PS4 will dominate Europe this time around.

€100 cheaper and ability to sell, share and rent games makes it much cheaper and is important in a recession hit Europe.

US: The X360 outsold the PS3, this time around I believe the PS4 will outsell the X360, but it won't totally dominate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The always online is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to be assumed guilty of pirating games and punished for it.

Other than that, I thought MS' line-up of games was impressive, Project Spark, MGSV, Dead Rising 3, Quantum Break, Forza 5.

I also like that Kinect is included. I don't like that it's mandatory to have it connected, but I think it's inclusion gives developers the knowledge that they can put a Kinect feature in their game and know that everyone can use it.

XB1's controller also looks to be maintaining its predecessor's lead over Sony's.

I'd be more than happy to buy an Xbox One if they got rid of always on (find another way to block used games, I don't mind). But if it's always on, I won't be buying it on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

top madra wrote: »
    If you're not using a third party headset like Turtle Beach/Tritton etc you're doing it wrong.

You're going all out to defend your xbox aren't you.

Why do you care? It's not like you owe microsoft anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

maximoose wrote: »
    That hadn't even crossed my mind. Until recently I was using gameclick and renting 2 games a month, was going to start back up again next month and clear a backlog - is it safe to assume the DRM means the death of renting?

You can be almost certain you will be able to rent games directly from the console for probably quite high prices. I would extremely surprised if you couldn't, I mean it's basically free money

Have you really never gone back to an old game you enjoyed or taken a while to get around to completing a game? Are games really that "disposable" for you?

My mates won't be getting a one that's for sure. And we all had 360 this gen (I get pretty much every console but I won't support one because it takes away your consumer rights).

I played mass effect 1 through 3 again a while ago and played through MGS HD collection after playing them on the PS2 I traded in the latter for bioshock when it was released. I keep a lot of my games because I've enjoyed them, mass effect, gears, hell, I still have dead rising, but that's as far as my sentimentality goes, keeping them on my shelf. But if a game came out in the morning I really wanted they would be gone.

Half Life 1 is my favorite game of all time and I played it through a good six times but that was ten years ago. I've moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'm hoping there will be an xbox style 3rd party joypad release quickly.

This. The Xbox controller is literally the only thing in the positive column for Xbox for me. It does seem to be stubbornness on Sony part not to change the design.

Or any pc mic. Agreed.
    Unfortunately it means that you have to buy a new headset if you buy the XBOne as the Xbox360 ones will not work with chat features. Considering the high end headsets for the current gen are €150-€200, it is quite the expense. Hence my hope of a third party connection to allow us to update our current setups.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The always online is a deal breaker for me. I don't want to be assumed guilty of pirating games and punished for it.

Other than that, I thought MS' line-up of games was impressive, Project Spark, MGSV, Dead Rising 3, Quantum Break, Forza 5.

I also like that Kinect is included. I don't like that it's mandatory to have it connected, but I think it's inclusion gives developers the knowledge that they can put a Kinect feature in their game and know that everyone can use it.

XB1's controller also looks to be maintaining its predecessor's lead over Sony's.

I'd be more than happy to buy an Xbox One if they got rid of always on (find another way to block used games, I don't mind). But if it's always on, I won't be buying it on principle.

The always online feature is for the cloud architecture as much as anything else. I find that interesting. It will have blips like anything else, but its interesting. I thought the way forza used the tech was interesting.

You're going all out to defend your xbox aren't you.

Why do you care? It's not like you owe microsoft anything.

Lol no, but the original Xbox headset is crap and always has been.

Anybody that still uses that for gaming is doing it wrong imo, but hey at least PS3 users got their's free.

Oh wait, they didn't did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

People are going on about all the great exclusives on the xbox one. AM i wrong or are all the same games not available also on the PS4. Excluding Quantum Break and Dead Rising.

maximoose wrote: »

They will implement a system similar to how they handled movie rentals through the Xbox, wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

to be fair, the original headsets that come with the 360 are seriously sh1te, about as cheap an add in as you could hope to get. for best sound experience, its third party all the way. hopefully there will be an adapter to let you use your current headset though.

Or any pc mic. Agreed.
    Unfortunately it means that you have to buy a new headset if you buy the XBOne as the Xbox360 ones will not work with chat features. Considering the high end headsets for the current gen are €150-€200, it is quite the expense. Hence my hope of a third party connection to allow us to update our current setups.

I'm sure there will be, if they are not bought out by TB etc, I'm sure some third party will see a opening in the market and release a connection for it all to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Lol no, but the original Xbox headset is crap and always has been.

Anybody that still uses that for gaming is doing it wrong imo, but hey at least PS3 users got their's free.

Oh wait, they didn't did they?

They didn't need to, any old bluetooth earpiece/headset works on ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

bk wrote: »
    Well on amazon.com, PS4 is number 1 in the video games category and Xbox One is number 2.

That is already a reversal of the Xbox 360/PS3 positions in the US market.

My prediction is:

Asia: PS4 will dominate, the X1 will barely register same as the PS3/X360

Europe: PS3 outsold the X360 but not decisively. I believe the PS4 will dominate Europe this time around.

€100 cheaper and ability to sell, share and rent games makes it much cheaper and is important in a recession hit Europe.

US: The X360 outsold the PS3, this time around I believe the PS4 will outsell the X360, but it won't totally dominate it.

Definitely.

Varik wrote: »
    Xbox one is having a year delay in asia.

According to Alan Bowman, Microsoft's Regional VP for Sales and Marketing in Asia, the new console will launch in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India around late 2014.

No word on Japan

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/11/microsoft-plots-2014-launch-for-xbox-one-in-asia/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

They will implement a system similar to how they handled movie rentals through the Xbox, wait and see.

You're giving MS too much credit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So let me get this straight:

PS4: €400
    X1: €500

PS4: Can share/swap games with family and friends
    x1: You can't

PS4: Can buy/sell games on adverts/ebay
    X1: Can't sell games online

PS4: Can rent games
    X1: Can't rent games

PS4: Can play games with no internet connection needed
    X1: Need to connect at least every 24 hours to play games.
    X1: Will need constant internet connection for "cloud" games

PS4: No Kinect/eye toy required to work
    X1: You most have Kinect in order for console to operate
    X1: Kinect is always on and always listening and watching you (yuck).

PS4: No subscription needed to use Netflix, RTE Player, etc.
    X1: Xbox Live Gold required to use Netflix, etc.

PS4: 50% faster Graphic Processing Unit
    X1: Err.....

PS4: Faster RAM
    X1: Err....

PS4: Only 1GB of RAM used for the OS, leaving 7GB for games
    X1: 3GB of RAM used for the OS, leaving only 5GB for games

PS4: Lots of exclusives
    X1: Many of X1's "exclusives" will be on PC too (e.g. Titanfall).

PS4: Region Free (for games, not DVD's and BluRays)
    X1: Region locked

PS4: Hard Drive user replaceable
    X1: Not replaceable, have to use external HDD's

Literally the only slightly disappointing thing to come out of the PS4 conference is that you now need PSN+ subscription to play online. But doesn't effect me I use PC for my online games and PSN+ is cheaper and better value (free games every month) then Xbox Gold.

I've been watching the game industry sine my first console, a dedicated Atari pong game!! (really showing my age here) and I haven't seen as massive a slap down since Sony's 1995 E3 press conference *

* For you young ones who mightn't know, just an hour earlier Sega had announced the Saturn was going to be 399, at the Sony Playstation conference, the guy walked on stage and simply said:
    "two hundred and ninety nine dollars"
    and walked back off stage to rapturous applause.

This feels like a repeat of this and I hope MS don't end up facing the same fate as Sega and the Saturn.

BTW I'd hold off judgement on the PS4 controller, while it initially looks the same as the old controller, a video I just watched comparing them shows that the new PS4 controller is significantly larger and more rounded, so it might end up being much closer to the X360/1 controller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement