Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    They didn't need to, any old bluetooth earpiece/headset works on ps3.

And they came free with the PS3 ya?

And I have a Bluetooth headset for my PS3 and it's rubbish.

Please invest in a decent set of headphones and then come back to me and make this argument, because until you do that you will have no clue on what you are missing out on playing through crap TV speakers.

I chit you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

top madra wrote: »

Please invest in a decent set of headphones and then come back to me and make this argument, because until you do that you will have no clue on what you are missing out on playing through crap TV speakers.

I chit you not.

Maybe he has an AV reciever. SLAMDUNK! Thanks Richersounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Killer Instinct is now a F2P game, and you have to buy every figher. You only get one character when you download the game and you have to buy the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

cursai wrote: »
    Maybe he has an AV reciever. SLAMDUNK! Thanks Richersounds.

I wonder how low it is when it's gets into the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

You're giving MS too much credit.

Its a money spinner isn't it? Be ludicrous of them not to consider it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Killer Instinct is now a F2P game, and you have to buy every figher. You only get one character when you download the game and you have to buy the rest..

An interesting experiment, personally I'd have no intention of buying that game, but I'd certainly be inclined to give it a shot like that. Its kind of like way back in the pc days when you had shareware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

bk wrote: »
    PS4: Can rent games
    X1: Can't rent games

Literally the only slightly disappointing thing to come out of the PS4 conference is that you now need PSN+ subscription to play online. But doesn't effect me I use PC for my online games and PSN+ is cheaper and better value (free games every month) then Xbox Gold.

Nothing was announced on renting games, I'm sure you'll be able to on both consoles. Also I didn't notice Sony saying you are required to have ps+ to play online, is that right?

Also never mentioned Xbox's poor attempt at PS+, complete with Halo 3 (Oh if only it was 2006 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

V9 wrote: »
    The always online feature is for the cloud architecture as much as anything else. I find that interesting. It will have blips like anything else, but its interesting. I thought the way forza used the tech was interesting.
    That is silly to think it has anything to do with that. If the cloud architechture needed a connection it would be a constant connect needed. There is no reason a cloud architecture would need a once every 24hr's connection. The only one reason for this is accusing everyone of piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

S
    This feels like a repeat of this and I hope MS don't end up facing the same fate as Sega and the Saturn.

So SONY killed SEGA? Feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

V9 wrote: »
    The always online feature is for the cloud architecture as much as anything else. I find that interesting. It will have blips like anything else, but its interesting. I thought the way forza used the tech was interesting.

I agree. Forza's use of it was the one example they gave of why always on could be a benefit. It's an interesting concept, BUT, I don't see why you couldn't achieve the same thing by having three power states, On, Off with Cloud (to allow games like Forza to play away while you're not there) and Off.

Locking you out of your system if your internet is down for 24 hours is inexcusable. Even if the entire world had super fast fibre power broadband, it's still inexcusable to render a machine completely useless in the event of an outage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

erkifino wrote: »
    So SONY killed SEGA? Feckers!

They killed Atari not sure about sega, Atari actually planned to sue Sony who were selling the PS1 so cheap in the US and less than the Japanese version.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nothing was announced on renting games, I'm sure you'll be able to on both consoles.

I wouldn't be so sure, the locked down, DRM infested nature of the X1 would indicate that it isn't possible (once a game is installed on your system, it is locked to your account).

It could be possible that MS come up with some complicated system of activating and deactivating rented games, but probably at an extra cost.

With PS4 there is no such uncertainty, given that the discs aren't locked in anyway, nothing stopping them from being rented out.
    Also I didn't notice Sony saying you are required to have ps+ to play online, is that right?

It was snuck in there under the radar in one of the slides during the presentation.

However as I said, PSN+ is actually pretty good value for money with lots of free games included.

Also never mentioned Xbox's poor attempt at PS+, complete with Halo 3 (Oh if only it was 2006 :D)

Yup, not only at the games very old, but this deal only lasts to November when the X1 launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

People are going on about all the great exclusives on the xbox one. AM i wrong or are all the same games not available also on the PS4. Excluding Quantum Break and Dead Rising.

Xbox exclusives:

Quantum Break
    Project Spark
    Titanfall (timed exclusive)
    Killer Instinct
    Dead Rising 3 (timed exclusive?)
    Ryse
    Forza 5
    Halo 5
    Minecraft
    Crimson Dragon
    D4
    Sunset Overdrive
    Kinect Sports Rivals

PS4 Exclusives:

Killzone Shadowfall
    Infamous Second Son
    Knack
    Drive Club
    The order 1886
    The Witness
    All those indie games
    Final Fantasy XV (possibly?)
    Kingdom Hearts 3 (possibly?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

top madra wrote: »

I chit you not.

What argument?? I just said you could use any old headset on the ps3, even non sony ones. Whereas microsoft, being the greedy b@stards they are, want every headset to be microsoft by making it anon standard connection. And i do have a (quite expensive in its day) digital 5.1 amp so i totally get the surround sound thing. I admit i don't have surround headphones but i've heard and i'm sure they are fantastic.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Xbox exclusives:

Quantum Break
    Project Spark
    Killer Instinct
    Ryse
    Forza 5
    Halo 5
    Minecraft
    Crimson Dragon
    D4
    Sunset Overdrive
    Kinect Sports Rivals

PS4 Exclusives:

Killzone Shadowfall
    Infamous Second Son
    Knack
    Drive Club
    The order 1886
    The Witness
    All those indie games

I think console exclusive is more correct, as a lot of the one games are out on PC and 360 too. Also considering the one won't be out in asia for a year (no word on Japan but I'm taking it as part of that) I say if FF15 and Kingdom heart are released early they'll be exclusive for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Varik wrote: »
    I think console exclusive is more correct, as a lot of the one games are out on PC and 360 too. Also considering the one won't be out in asia for a year (no word on Japan but I'm taking it as part of that) I say if FF15 and Kingdom heart are released early they'll be exclusive for a while.

FF15 wont be exclusive unless sony has thrown a small fortune squares way. Square cant afford to limit their market anymore

Dont know about kingdom hearts though

I don't consider games that are out on both X1 and PC to be exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I rarely follow the latest developments in gaming anymore but decided to peak my nose in at what the big three had lined up for E3. From what I have seen from both the pre-E3 event and their show yesterday, Microsoft has taken a very, very arrogant step this year into the gaming market.

With their last two devices, the Xbox and Xbox 360, they entered with such modesty as they were the new guys trying to break into the competitive gaming market. As the success of the 360 soared, selling millions of consoles, they are fully exploiting their success and well-known brand this year, and doing simply whatever they think they can get away with.

My initial thought when I heard the DRM practices they are implementing with the XBone was that they are facing serious pressure from developers to fix the problem they have with second hand sales of games, and revenues they are losing as a result. But Sony proved last night that such a pressure couldn't exist, as Sony themselves turned around and said no such DRM practices would exist on the PS4. One can only assume then that Microsoft solely put in place their system of DRM for the benefit of themselves, to push the sales of new games and Micrsoft receiving a Licencing fee from each one as a result.

As I said, nothing but arrogance from Microsoft and fully exploiting their most loyal of customers in my eyes. I can only see it backfire for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

All the polls suggest that Microsoft are in big trouble with the Xbox One

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

When I watched the xbox conference and seen the games that were coming out I thought some looked amazing but when it came down to exclusives.... The only game I feel like I'd really be missing out on if I didn't have an XBox One would be Dead Rising 3.

I really can't believe Microsoft trying to force the always online idea, I mean if they were to verify that a game code was legit every time you happened to connected it would be bad but for the console to actually not play games after 24 hours is unacceptable.

I've not heard anything solid about if the PS4 will allow you to stream old ps1/ps2/ps3 games but if that is true then it's a huge benefit. Also it goes with a patent Sony applied for a while back where they would be able to retrospectively add achievements to games that were pre-trophy without having to re-release the games.

I'm sure the xbox will sell very well at Christmas still but I wont be buying one. I like to try a lot of games and that means buying used games cheap. If every game I buy has to be 30-50 buck then I'm not going to end up buying that many games at all so what's the point?

• Advertisement

NTMK wrote: »
    FF15 wont be exclusive unless sony has thrown a small fortune squares way. Square cant afford to limit their market anymore

Dont know about kingdom hearts though

At some point the cost of broadening their market is not worth the cost. The 360 had a large enough market to make selling on 360 viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

The xbox one, looking at its back panel
    microsoft-xbox-one-4877_610x407.jpg
    has ditched the old AV connections and stereo sound. For my sound set up, this is a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I wouldn't be so sure, the locked down, DRM infested nature of the X1 would indicate that it isn't possible (once a game is installed on your system, it is locked to your account).

Sorry yeah I meant purely from a download only point of view, definitely won't be able to pop down to xtravision for an xbox game for the week anymore!

Xbox exclusives:

Quantum Break Meh
    Project Spark
    Killer Instinct Muck
    Ryse
    Forza 5 GT6???
    Halo 5 This is getting like Pokemon stuff.
    Minecraft
    Crimson Dragon
    D4
    Sunset Overdrive
    Kinect Sports Rivals

PS4 Exclusives:

Killzone Shadowfall
    Infamous Second Son
    Knack
    Drive Club
    The order 1886
    The Witness
    All those indie games

The main titles like BF4 and The Witcher are on both consoles. I think most people will be happy with that calibre of game appearing on PS4.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

CORaven wrote: »

has ditched the old AV connections and stereo sound. For my sound set up, this is a deal breaker for me.

In fairness the industry has to move with the times. Can't cater for legacy hardware forever.

Time to upgrade your sound setup. HDMI has been around 10 years and standard for 5 years - an eternity in terms of electronics.

CORaven wrote: »
    microsoft-xbox-one-4877_610x407.jpg

You can get a HDMI to AV cable. Now you HAVE to buy an Xbox.1

Xbox exclusives:

Quantum Break
    Project Spark
    Killer Instinct
    Ryse
    Forza 5
    Halo 5
    Minecraft
    Crimson Dragon
    D4
    Sunset Overdrive
    Kinect Sports Rivals

PS4 Exclusives:

Killzone Shadowfall
    Infamous Second Son
    Knack
    Drive Club
    The order 1886
    The Witness
    All those indie games

You forgot all the PS4 F2P titles.

Planetside 2
    Warframe
    War Thunder
    DC Universe
    Doki-Doki
    BlackLight: Retribution

Phew!!!! Microsoft have just dropped the price of the Xbox one due to all the outrage.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console-Day/dp/B00CMQTVK0/ref=lp_6469295011_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370942428&sr=1-1

By 3 Cent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

to be fair, the original headsets that come with the 360 are seriously sh1te, about as cheap an add in as you could hope to get. for best sound experience, its third party all the way. hopefully there will be an adapter to let you use your current headset though.

Really?

Sell an adaptor, or sell a new heatset. Which do you think makes business sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Phew!!!! Microsoft have just dropped the price of the Xbox one due to all the outrage.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console-Day/dp/B00CMQTVK0/ref=lp_6469295011_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370942428&sr=1-1

By 3 Cent
    Amazon's pricing Algorithim is so strange sometimes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement