Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bk wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure, the locked down, DRM infested nature of the X1 would indicate that it isn't possible (once a game is installed on your system, it is locked to your account).

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

The only part of their licensing thing that sounds cool is this:

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Also, not sure how this will all be implemented, as of yet:

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

It seems as though they did what I expected Sony to do - put it in the hands of the publishers - so MS studio games will seemingly be tradeable and it's up to the publisher for their own games.

Genuinely shocked that Sony didn't go a similar route. MS botched this big style. Fingers were everywhere bar the pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    What argument?? I just said you could use any old headset on the ps3, even non sony ones. Whereas microsoft, being the greedy b@stards they are, want every headset to be microsoft by making it anon standard connection. And i do have a (quite expensive in its day) digital 5.1 amp so i totally get the surround sound thing. I admit i don't have surround headphones but i've heard and i'm sure they are fantastic.

Sorry I wasn't having a go at you but until I bought a good set of headphones I didn't realise what I was missing, I almost only play Battlefield and it was like a new game to me after I did.

Surround sound doesn't compare unless it's up really loud (and not all of us can do that for extended periods without driving somebody nuts)

Plus you can get cross platform headphones so I don't believe MS are greedy compared to Sony in disregard because at least they supplied you with a cheap pair in the first place.
    Really?

Sell an adaptor, or sell a new heatset. Which do you think makes business sense?

If the Headset companies don't release adaptors, some third party will make one so I wouldn't worry about it.

All you have to do is look on Ebay and you can get one for almost any electronic.

Take that **** down Cursai! I've read the books and watched the show but that could spoil it for loads of people.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

cursai wrote: »
    Do I need spoiler tags

You sir, are a d1ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Sorry guys. Its been a month since that episode. And its all over the internet.

• Advertisement

Which is why I avoid sites/forums you expect to see it - which shouldn't include an Xbox One thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Its been slightly over a week? :confused:

It was shown first on Sky Atlantic 8 days ago. Loads of people won't be caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Its been slightly over a week? :confused:

Sorry a week Thought it was before the break. Anywayyyyyyyyy. Always a danger on forums.
    Tis gone now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That's a fairly qualified apology. Plus that episode was only 10 days ago on HBO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is interesting to note the difference between this thread and the PS4 megathread.

On this thread it is all negative, over on the PS4 threads, the only questions been asked is where to pre-order the PS4!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is there anyone here who intends to buy an Xbox One at launch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Its obvious the Kinect is bringing up the price of the X1 by 100 quid...ergo 499, the problem for M$ is they have stupidly designed the system to *only* work with Kinect plugged in, ergo they had to box it as standard.

Its a stupid idea, but this whole voice recignition stuff needs the X1 to work, why they cant disable that crapis beyond me?

People dont like Kinect, they didnt like the 360 version and the games were crap. The tech has never added anything to gaming. But M$ insist on this entertainment hub, its basically a voice controlled smart tv.

Sony pummled M$ last night in every respect, they need to act fast to repair the damage!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Shivering Eskimo, personal abuse is not tolerated, although I understand your annoyance. I had someone spoil a major movie plotline for me just this morning.

Cursai, a little more consideration next time please. Thanks for the apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is there anyone here who intends to buy an Xbox One at launch?

Without a whole philosophy change on Microsoft's part, I don't see myself buying it at all.

bk wrote: »
    It is interesting to note the difference between this thread and the PS4 megathread.

On this thread it is all negative, over on the PS4 threads, the only questions been asked is where to pre-order the PS4!

Yep...and a mod wrapped me on the knuckles for saying the EXACT same thing as everyone else about the X1, but i was called out :confused:

:rolleyes:

Sums it up though. Sony must have been laughing their asses off at the MS reveal.

I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes though. Did Sony see the reaction to MS's policies and change their mind about DRM? Or were MS really this brave and clueless to proceed with a glaring flaw in terms of competition?

They are caught between a rock and a hard place now too because if they relax their position on certain things like DRM/authentication/game swaps it's going to make the look even worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sums it up though. Sony must have been laughing their asses off at the MS reveal.

I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes though. Did Sony see the reaction to MS's policies and change their mind about DRM? Or were MS really this brave and clueless to proceed with a glaring flaw in terms of competition?

They are caught between a rock and a hard place now too because if they relax their position on certain things like DRM/authentication/game swaps it's going to make the look even worse.

I'm sure that Sony had been considering it but are probably delighted that MS made themselves a laughing stock.

the X1 has four USB ports?...or is it two like the PS4?
    Tbh....the lack of USB ports is stupid, it should have had two on the back and two on the front. At least they are USB 3.0!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Shivering Eskimo, personal abuse is not tolerated, although I understand your annoyance. I had someone spoil a major movie plotline for me just this morning.

Cursai, a little more consideration next time please. Thanks for the apology.

My bad. Won't happen again. I did mean it in a dry-humour sort of way - hence the 'sir' part.

Cursai - My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

According to Scott Rohde, they had already made the decision but when Microsoft announced their DRM and price, they smiled to themselves.

Article
    Rohde says that Sony had set this price in stone well before the event, and had nothing to do with the Xbox One pricing. "When [the Xbox One pricing] was verified this morning, we've just been walking around with smiles all day," he said.

And Rohde also says that Sony's used games policy was not a reaction to the Xbox One's restrictions. "That was always our plan," he noted. "It's something that we believe in. We know gamers come first; we know what they want."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I agree. Forza's use of it was the one example they gave of why always on could be a benefit. It's an interesting concept, BUT, I don't see why you couldn't achieve the same thing by having three power states, On, Off with Cloud (to allow games like Forza to play away while you're not there) and Off.

Locking you out of your system if your internet is down for 24 hours is inexcusable. Even if the entire world had super fast fibre power broadband, it's still inexcusable to render a machine completely useless in the event of an outage.

That's not what happens, are you serious?

If you want to play a game offline, you can do so for 24 hours, if you want to continue to play the game offline you need to log in online to verify you still have the licence for the game. If you play for 24 hours without going online, you can't play THAT game until you do. Again, the idea that if you don't connect your xbox to online once a day or it will be a bricked console is false and totally extreme.

Also, Kinect doesn't have to be always on for those saying that. It has to be part of the console, so it has to be physically connected, but you can turn it off and use your controller instead. Obviously.

Having said that, the PS4 is obviously the better option, but I'm in a very tough position as I really want to play Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Halo and would like a shot at that Ryse Son of Rome. For me, the games and exclusives on Xbox are more appealing, but I really don't want to shell out €499 for a console I don't feel is as good as it's cheaper rival.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm sure that Sony had been considering it but are probably delighted that MS made themselves a laughing stock.

Yup, there could have been skullduggery, ergo both Sony and M$ had sorta agreed, more a nod and wink kinda thing to implement DRM. Sony saw the reaction Microsoft got and decided to pull a fast one at the very last minute.

Microsoft pissed as hell and egg on face, Sony ROTFLMAO!

I think people wouldnt care about that after awhile, they'll just be glad Microsoft caved.

Meh, that's just pandering BS from the Sony guy. I do believe him when he says that they had their price point already organised. No way were they scraping a 5th off the price depending on what MS were doing on the spur of the moment. That kind of **** is calculated for months in advance for projected revenue.

The worst part for MS is, they probably won the games end of things. The Sony games looked a bit meh in comparison but they couldn't lose once MS announced the price after already revealing their licensing policies. Really bizarre stuff from MS.

I wonder will they cave? Coporations the size of MS can be stubborn beasts. A lot of work will have gone into setting all these systems up. Agreements will have been made with developers on the basis DRM will be in place etc. etc.

They might budge on price as that's something that won't attract much in the way of embarrassment but if they roll back the DRM/authentication then they truly will be a laughing stock, and could be in danger or screwing up relationships with publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I wonder will they cave? Coporations the size of MS can be stubborn beasts. A lot of work will have gone into setting all these systems up. Agreements will have been made with developers on the basis DRM will be in place etc. etc.

They might budge on price as that's something that won't attract much in the way of embarrassment but if they roll back the DRM/authentication then they truly will be a laughing stock, and could be in danger or screwing up relationships with publishers.

Its time to start work on the xbox 4 lol, or is that xboxtwo:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I wonder if there will be any penalties from the publishers for not using DRM? Something like no DRM = extra 15 quid for a new PS game to compensate for future lost revenue, or some sort of Xbox exclusivity period for certain new games. If not, MS better be preparing the "We've listened to your concerns..." press release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That's not what happens, are you serious?

If you want to play a game offline, you can do so for 24 hours, if you want to continue to play the game offline you need to log in online to verify you still have the licence for the game. If you play for 24 hours without going online, you can't play THAT game until you do. Again, the idea that if you don't connect your xbox to online once a day or it will be a bricked console is false and totally extreme.
    You cannot play games on this machine without checking in every 24 hours.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/11/xbox-one-microsoft

• Advertisement

Their licensing policies will be locked in. Price may change but I doubt it. The big problem for MS is that they don't have the same level of fanboy as Sony have. Sony fans were willing to pay through the nose for the PS3 to get basically the same console as the Xbox360, barring the Bluray player, just because it was a Sony product. Despite being basically the same product, just more expensive, Sony outstripped MS in Europe and Japan and did well enough in the US. MS does not engender that kind of loyalty in fans, imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement