Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I dont like most of what Microsoft had to say about the One, but this online thing is really overplayed. I guarantee that most people have their current consoles connected to their broadband 24/7 anyway...

If your internet goes down, you can use your phone's hotspot feature to do the 24 hour check, then go back offline

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

drumswan wrote: »
    You cannot play games on this machine without checking in every 24 hours.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/11/xbox-one-microsoft

My internet goes down for 3 days, I cannot play single player.

I move house. I cannot play single player.

My router fails. I cannot play single player.

Joke. Joke. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You would be surprised how poor mobile phone signals are in ireland

For example I live in a black spot

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Sony had a strong surge after the slim came out. MS were ahead for the guts of three years up until that point. They've clawed it back and reversed it only in the last couple of years thanks to the price and fact it was no longer a hulking monster of a console.

It's like their fortunes have completely reversed now. Sony going back to basics, listening to gamers and releasing a decent-priced games-focused console like MS did with the 360, while MS are going down the complicated, stubborn route like Sony did with the high-priced Cell chip design and blu-ray player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

miralize wrote: »
    I dont like most of what Microsoft had to say about the One, but this online thing is really overplayed. I guarantee that most people have their current consoles connected to their broadband 24/7 anyway...

If your internet goes down, you can use your phone's hotspot feature to do the 24 hour check, then go back offline
    Doesn't matter if you are connected to the internet when they decide to take the DRM servers offline permanently. Your games will stop working.

Back to Playstation for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-To7WJyWs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There's a reason for sonys positivity, there's so much win in the crowds reaction I actually felt sick watching it....

They have taken note of all the MS complaints and said Hay we are not doing that and for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sony had a strong surge after the slim came out. MS were ahead for the guts of three years up until that point. They've clawed it back and reversed it only in the last couple of years thanks to the price and fact it was no longer a hulking monster of a console.

It's like their fortunes have completely reversed now. Sony going back to basics, listening to gamers and releasing a decent-priced games-focused console like MS did with the 360, while MS are going down the complicated, stubborn route like Sony did with the high-priced Cell chip design and blu-ray player.

The 360 has always been cheaper. Even when Sony released the slim, MS had the 360s out in 2010 at a price point of around €250 with a 250GB HDD, a few games and an extra controller. The PS3 still sold.

Agreed on your second part. It's like the PS3 started as the set-top box and the 360 as the gaming machine, then a flip-flop starting with the Kinect launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Doesn't matter if you are connected to the internet when they decide to take the DRM servers offline permanently. Your games will stop working.

Back to Playstation for me.

And, what happens if someone hacks the servers and they need to take them offline. This happened to SONY not so long ago, http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/apr/27/playstation-network-hack-sony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

This 24 hour check in craic is a load of bollox.What if you went away on holidays for a week.Must you get someone to call to the house to turn on the xbox as well as feeding the dog??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It'll be interesting come christmas when parents are in Gamestop trying to decide which console to buy for the kids. Naturally, they will ask the staff. Now will Gamestop recommend the Xbox One where they will not be able to sell pre-owned games, or will they try to get people to buy the PS4 where they can make a ****load off used games? Hmm...I wonder...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Their licensing policies will be locked in. Price may change but I doubt it. The big problem for MS is that they don't have the same level of fanboy as Sony have. Sony fans were willing to pay through the nose for the PS3 to get basically the same console as the Xbox360, barring the Bluray player, just because it was a Sony product. Despite being basically the same product, just more expensive, Sony outstripped MS in Europe and Japan and did well enough in the US. MS does not engender that kind of loyalty in fans, imo.

I think the "fanboys" on both sides are equally crazy.

However your history of the PS3 above is inaccurate.

When the PS3 came out, most bluray players cost almost as much as the PS3 (or at best €100 less) and the PS3 was by far the best bluray player (it had by far the fastest menu loading, etc.). So if you were thinking of getting a blu-ray player, getting a PS3 was a no brainer as you were almost getting the gaming functionality for free.

Also the initial PS3's were backwards compatible with the PS2 which was important for the hordes of PS2 gamers.

What impresses me most about the PS4, is that Sony seems to have carefully looked at the mistakes they made with the PS3, learned their lessons from them, corrected them with the PS4, while resisting the urge to make new mistakes. Really the PS4 seems like almost the perfect console launch, at least so far.

1) PS3 was too expensive at €600
    - Looks like Sony always planned the PS4 to cost €400, much closer to impulse buy territory.

2) PS3 launched over a year later then the Xbox 360, given it a good head start
    - The PS4 will launch at the same time as the X1, gave or take a month (they might even launch early!).

3) PS3 had a very esoteric architecture, which while more powerful on paper, was so different, that it was very hard for developers to take advantage. Because of this multi-platform games looked worse then the 360 for the first few years. Only in the last year or two, have developers gotten use to the PS3 and multi-platform games look better on the PS3.

- With the PS4 Sony has switched to a very familiar and easy to program for x86 architecture, very similar to the X1 and PC's. They even managed to make their architecture easier to program for then the X1, while being significantly more powerful then the x1!

This should mean that multi-platform games will look better on the PS4 from day one and continue to do so throughout it's life.

4) On the PS3 you were continually stopped from playing games by constant slow software and OS updates.

- PS4 will auto-update the os and software in the background and when not being used, so no interruption to speedy gaming.

And they did all this while resisting the urge to cock up by introducing mandatory online checks, DRM, etc.

Really a superb job by Sony so far this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

This 24 hour check in craic is a load of bollox.What if you went away on holidays for a week.Must you get someone to call to the house to turn on the xbox as well as feeding the dog??:confused:

I assume its more a case you can't play a game until you do a check in. So if you go away for a week, then turn on the xbox on your return, it'll do its online check in, and you are good to go for the next 24 hours.

Alternatively isn't the system in a 'sleep mode' when not in use? Powered down, but not powered off, so that you can issue an "Xbox on" voice command, I don't see why it can't do its own check in during this time.

So don't think the issue you raised is a concern.

The fact that it is sitting there, waiting, always watching and listening with a connection back to Microsoft, however, is.

(not meant in as mad conspiracy theory way as that reads!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

That isnt how it works. The reason for the 24 hour connection is, by their words, to check for updates for games/the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

You'd be on holidays, what would it matter :confused:

You come home, connect and continue gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

My bad. Won't happen again. I did mean it in a dry-humour sort of way - hence the 'sir' part.

Cursai - My apologies.

No probs. Can understand the annoyance. My inconsideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

maximoose wrote: »

This person isn't the first to ask such a question. Lots of people seem to labour under the impression that if you go 24 hours without connecting your console to the internet, it no longer works, and you have to buy a new one. I don't get it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I said a few months ago that for me to switch from Xbox to Playstation then either Microsoft would have to really **** up or Sony blow me away.

Well Microsoft have ****ed up, the price difference doesn't really bother me, a hundred euro for something that will last me years isn't a big deal. I also don't buy second hand games and I've only sold a few games. What grates somewhat is that it feels like Microsoft are ****ing over the consumer and we're not getting anything in return. Remember, second hand games have been more or less subsidizing new releases for years (IE retailers make very little off them but make their profits elsewhere). I don't like the fact that my xbox becomes a very expensive paperweight if my internet or Xbox servers go down for a couple of days.

I'm going to miss the xbox controller, would be great if a third party made a Playstation controller shaped like the xbox though I don't know if this is possible. I'll also miss Xbox live though with Sony now charging for their PSN hopefully they'll put some time and money into improving it.

I'd also say that I'm not 100% convinced that it will be a PS4 that I'm getting, but unless there is some major back peddling I reckon I probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Must you get someone to call to the house to turn on the xbox as well as feeding the dog??:confused:

Before you go on holidays just train the dog to turn it on once a day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yep...and a mod wrapped me on the knuckles for saying the EXACT same thing as everyone else about the X1, but i was called out :confused:

:rolleyes:

MOD: Do not question a mods decision, either here or on other forums. If you have an issue with a mod decision, please discuss it with a category moderator.

Thats why they include the Call of Duty dog.

'RILEY, connect Xbox One every day to the interweb'

'RUFF'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

maximoose wrote: »

But some people might take their console on holidays with them and not have a connection there. Think holiday home in Spain or elderly parents.

Before you laugh, I was flying to Poland a few weeks ago, the security guy asked the guy ahead of me in the line did he have a laptop in his bag. The guy smirked, said "sort of" and opened his bag to reveal a Xbox 360 plus all the gear for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

just make sure the dog has a live subscription or the kinect wont respond to it

Bambi wrote: »
    just make sure the dog has a live subscription or the kinect wont respond to it

Good point. But id say the dog had more sense to go woth the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

You cannot play games on this machine without checking in every 24 hours.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jun/11/xbox-one-microsoft

:eek::eek::eek:

I read a breakdown from a gaming site which is why I got my info from. Thats... insane?

Considering Forza 5 is the only launch game I'll be gutted not to play, and I'll be saving money, getting more games, a better console, able to buy used games and have the features from Xbox I like such as cross game chat etc, I think it's a no brainer.

I do expect I'll own an Xbox One down the line, I have both consoles from the current gen now, likely a major player like Halo will make me spring for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

bk wrote: »
    But some people might take their console on holidays with them and not have a connection there. Think holiday home in Spain or elderly parents.

Before you laugh, I was flying to Poland a few weeks ago, the security guy asked the guy ahead of me in the line did he have a laptop in his bag. The guy smirked, said "sort of" and opened his bag to reveal a Xbox 360 plus all the gear for it!

You go on Holidays to play your Xbox?...Seriously whats wrong with you...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

FutureGuy wrote: »
    MOD: Do not question a mods decision, either here or on other forums. If you have an issue with a mod decision, please discuss it with a category moderator.

Waste of time discussing it....i came here to roll my eyes, like this :rolleyes:

You go on Holidays to play your Xbox?...Seriously whats wrong with you...

I don't, but I'm sure many people do.

Bored kids/teenagers dragged to their parents holiday home in the middle of nowhere in Spain jumps to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have my PS3 set to turn on once a day and check for updates as it is. I'd say the Xbone and PS4 will have those options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bk wrote: »
    I think the "fanboys" on both sides are equally crazy.

However your history of the PS3 above is inaccurate.

When the PS3 came out, most bluray players cost almost as much as the PS3 (or at best €100 less) and the PS3 was by far the best bluray player (it had by far the fastest menu loading, etc.). So if you were thinking of getting a blu-ray player, getting a PS3 was a no brainer as you were almost getting the gaming functionality for free.

Also the initial PS3's were backwards compatible with the PS2 which was important for the hordes of PS2 gamers.
    I never really gave a history, just an overview of what each device was as a purely gaming machine. The bluray is not really all that relevant to the gaming aspect. Sure, some people may have bought it for that reason but it was completely irrelevant to many people who buy their consoles for games. Nice addition but not enough for you to shell out €150 more than an Xbox for essentially the same gaming machine. This is where I feel brand loyalty really comes into play.

This whole thread - in fact, that goes for the whole internet - is full of people upset at MS for sticking it to the gamers in favour of entertainment, which suggests that Bluray wasn't as big a factor as you're making out. The Xbox360 was also backwards compatible at the start, for the most part. A huge library of games could be played from the original Xbox.

Again, I can't really back up my assertion about Sony aficionados (fanboys is a rubbish term, in fairness, apologies) being more willing to pick up anything Sony throws out than those who like MS with any hard facts. I just don't buy into the fact that a Bluray player caused so many people to consistently choose the PS3 over Xbox as a games machine.

Funnily enough, I owned a PS3 before I owned an Xbox purely because I had stopped gaming during college, for all intents and purposes, and my previous console had been a PS2. Never having played an Xbox, Sony was the choice for me. Brand loyalty\recognition. From an anecdotal standpoint, there are a decent number of people I know irl who are massive Sony fans and will buy anything they produce. I've never met such a person who is so dedicated to MS. Even check the PS4 megathread today on boards. People are saying that they were "proud to be a Sony fanboy" watching E3. Crazy stuff but besides the point and not really worth a whole lot. As I said, though, purely anecdotal.

It's not meant as a slight on the PS4 or Sony or anything, I'm relatively neutral in all this, just a possible theory as to why I Sony were able to sell a very similar console to the Xbox 360 for a far more expensive price at all junctures of their life-cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Final Fantasy XV just announced for xbox one seems like there are very few exclusive titles for each console. Was going to pre-order the xbox a few weeks ago not too sure now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement