Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Uncharted 3 on the PS Store is 43GB, and whilst that game has amazing graphics the games are going to be bigger in size next gen with even better graphics.

Most of that is Sony filling out a 50GB blu-ray with uncompressed audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Uncharted 3 on the PS Store is 43GB, and whilst that game has amazing graphics the games are going to be bigger in size next gen with even better graphics.
    What would be nice would be if you could pre-download it. Though, yes, 500 GB isn't much, and given that, you'd have to redownload stuff. I guess the need for having external storage will be more important than ever, though I guess we already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What would be nice would be if you could pre-download it. Though, yes, 500 GB isn't much, and given that, you'd have to redownload stuff. I guess the need for having external storage will be more important than ever, though I guess we already knew that.

PS4 does allow you to play the game as it downloads, not sure if X1 allows a similar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

A game is going to be around 20GB at least, probably a lot more with these new graphics.
    The internet infrastructure isn't good enough in Ireland and in most countries to support a system like that. Physical games are still the quickest, and easiest way to play a game at a friends house.
    On my connection, 20GB would take me about 1-2 days to download.
    I guess I'm lucky with what I've got. It would take me about 17 hours. But , I'd be taking up all the bandwidth so it would be 2 nights.

PS4 does allow you to play the game as it downloads, not sure if X1 allows a similar system.
    That doesn't do enough, tbh. You still have a long wait to get to the point of being able to play assuming a slow connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thats exactly my point, I'm not the only one with a slow connection.
    Even on an fast connection 20GB+ will take 2-3 hours. Do you really want to sit there for that length waiting to play your game that should be able to work just by popping in the disc?

From the Microsoft Page URL="http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/xboxone/what-it-is"]here[/URL
    XBox.com wrote:
    Play without the wait.

With Xbox One, you can start playing immediately as games install. And updates install seamlessly in the background, so your games and entertainment won’t be interrupted.

I think the "as games install" could just be a US-English way of saying "while games install".

One theory is that Microsoft may be using their 'Click-to-Run' technology for games downloaded over the internet - essentially stream the bits of the game that it needs to launch and run, and download the rest in the background.

They used the same tech for things like the Office 2013 or Office 365 betas, so instead of downloading and installing multiple GB or MB before it can run, it downloads about ~1-5MB and you're up and running.

There's no way they'd expect you to sit at a friends house for 3 hours for it to download to play a game together (or even to another Xbox in your own house), so they must be using something similar. They could even be more efficient on Xbox One, because they know the hardware and the OS and there's no need do checks for prerequisites that you would do on Windows.

Here's to hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

How so i dont really follow? To make a cloud hosted game that you can play from a remote machine im not sure its possible without requiring an always on connection? It will be the same as gaikai requiring an always on connection on PS4 or new iRadio requiring 3g connection ?

We're not talking about cloud hosted games.

We're talking about digital flexibility. Not having to deal with discs. Being able to sign into another machine and play your games on that machine. Even sharing games with other users digitally.

I can do ALL these things on PS3 today, with the exception that not all games are digitally available. But they will be on PS4.

I can sign in to any PS3, activate it, and play my games on that machine. I can leave my account on that machine, and others can play my games, even simultaneously when I play the same game on my own - ala, sharing. I can't do it with ten people - you can do it with 2 - but there's no limits on simultaneous play. And you've total remote control over which systems are activated for your account's content.

Microsoft could leave physical discs completely alone and allow people the option to go digital only, and enjoy all these digital benefits OR to continue consuming games on discs, with the set of benefits that come with that. They could give people that choice. You could do all these nice digital things, or not. But they're not giving us that option.

All this DRM stuff has nothing to do with digital benefits, it's in place and being enforced across both digital and disc so Microsoft can control the secondary market.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Both systems allow that. Thats not really what we are talking about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Their DRM is similar to steam? okayyyy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Bambi wrote: »
    Their DRM is similar to steam? okayyyy....
    "Okayyyy..." Good, or
    "Okayyyy..." Bad?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Okayyyy..." Good, or
    "Okayyyy..." Bad?
    :)

"okaaayy" as in my f**king arse it's like steam. Steam doesn't require a login every 24 hours or nix your PC so you can't install a second hand game from the DVD drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

"okaaayy" as in my f**king arse it's like steam. Steam doesn't require a login every 24 hours or nix your PC so you can't install a second hand game from the DVD drive.
    If its a Steam game you sure as hell cant install a second hand game onto your Steam account :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Steam doesn't require a login every 24 hours or nix your PC so you can't install a second hand game from the DVD drive.

It's 2 weeks on steam.

Yes it does, you can't install a used copy of a game to steam.
    Meesared wrote: »
    If its a Steam game you sure as hell cant install a second hand game onto your Steam account :P

And if it's not a steamworks game then it's the same as saying that the One won't stop me using a used games on my Wii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Varik wrote: »
    It's 2 weeks on steam.

Is it?:confused:
    i know for a fact that my steam account hasnt asked for verification in 3 months on my PC in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Hey I was wondering if I bought an american Xbox One from US Amazon would it work here in Ireland? I wouldn't have to go to this hassle if it weren't for the prices being so screwed up.

It would, depending on your TV*. Though all games would have to be imported. Depending on how many games you buy, you may end up paying more in the long run when you factor in shipping.

*Pretty much all modern TVs are fine, so you should be unless you are using something pretty old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It's 2 weeks on steam.

Yes it does, you can't install a used copy of a game to steam.

And if it's not a steamworks game then it's the same as saying that the One won't stop me using a used games on my Wii.
    They mentioned Steam specifically, so it would be a Steamworks game

I'm confused, why did you agree with me in the first quoted part, then disagree in the second :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The DRM thing seems to be pretty similar to the way things work on PC so I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of it. I can't buy second hand games or borrow games from friends. However PC games are a lot cheaper, id say the average I've spent on a game is about €20 thanks to steam sales.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's 2 weeks on steam.

No it isn't. Steam only validates the game once when you first install it. It never checks again.

The other reason why steam is so popular is because the games are so cheap in the sales. I don't see that happening on the X1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

MadYaker wrote: »
    The DRM thing seems to be pretty similar to the way things work on PC so I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of it. I can't buy second hand games or borrow games from friends. However PC games are a lot cheaper, id say the average I've spent on a game is about €20 thanks to steam sales.

The primary difference is that the One isn't a PC, it's a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The primary difference is that the One isn't a PC, it's a console.

And, you can play games offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

And, you could play games offline.

FYP

The reason for the cheap games on PC is because of piracy more than used games.
    Pirating games is extremely easy on PC, just as easy as installing from Steam, so they have to price games low to decrease pirating.

Pirating won't happen (as much) on consoles because few people JTAG their Xbox's and because of the new 24 hour checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Great articulate piece by Boogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

He is putting up some really good stuff lately. I agree with all his points. I can't see myself getting the xbox one as it stands. The point about turning off a games server because its no longer profitable and the monopoly on the games trade in, is very well made. Buying one is bending over and saying here screw me. As a group we should vote with our wallets....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Me and you North, on Tom Clancy's The Division next year, on the PS4. We'll kick ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Is anyone here actually buying it from what they've heard so far? Microsoft could backtrack on a few things... but not on the ones that matter

The console is region locked, if you buy it from the US you'll have to buy all of your games from the US.
    When you factor in VAT, Shipping tax, and shipping cost the console alone will reach 500euro, and then you'll have to pay for all of that on every game you ship in.
    Definitely not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

miralize wrote: »
    Is anyone here actually buying it from what they've heard so far? Microsoft could backtrack on a few things... but not on the ones that matter

Yeah me. Have my pre order for the day one edition, might cancel it though depending what game stop comes up with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement