Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

AirDemon wrote: »
    One of the reasons for the push towards digital downloads I've heard is that it will mean that there will be more money for publishers & developers and that way prices can fall. That's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard.
    Maybe, maybe not. It isn't just "oh we're getting more money on sales now because there is no second hand market" altruism. Before saying more though, we should be aware that there will still be preowned games. We don't know exactly how that will look, but it is alleged that that cost will go to retail I understand. Of course, retail is quite good at passing costs on to consumers, so we'll have to see how that looks cost-wise when the dust settles. Currently, lots of people do sell their preowned games to fund buying new. What does this mean? If people don't get the same value towards new games, looking at current prices, demand will drop. So, what will happen then? Prices will drop. That's why. It isn't altruism, it's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Dunno if this was posted already, if xbox games become cheaper than ps4 can have there sharing games :P

http://www.dashhacks.com/xbox-one/general/xbox-engineer-explains-drm-and-always-on-requirement-for-xbox-one.html

"He then compares that to what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with the Xbox One. Here are a few blurbs from his post:

The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for **** value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs. If you want games cheaper then 59.99, you have to limit used games somehow. Steam's model requires a limited used game model.
    The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)
    Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like "Well played Sony, Well played". That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO **** US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convenient it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn't put back... [...] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all "U TOOK R DISCS" and they hiveminded.
    Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop ****s them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF ****ING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it'sa bumpy road

Current plan is basically you're ****ed after 24 hours. Yeah... I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to gamestop or something... but there is no plan YET. I'm hoping the change it, but I don't work on that so I don't have much influence there /sigh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭halolma

The console is region locked, if you buy it from the US you'll have to buy all of your games from the US.
    When you factor in VAT, Shipping tax, and shipping cost the console alone will reach 500euro, and then you'll have to pay for all of that on every game you ship in.
    Definitely not worth it.

What he said. lol

Also.... if you want to download games digital you may not be able to do it.. what with it being a US console[region locked] and your Xbox Live Region would be set to Ireland[not sure if you can change it]

They should make it possible to do the 24 hour check in with an app or email of some kind.. Like you can connect a device by usb or over the home network and it sends an encrypted file. Save a lot of hassle if the broadband is down but 3g is still fine.

I live in VN and with the frequency of changes the government makes to the internet, I couldn't risk the purchase unless I could check in through a proxy/3g.

its already been confirmed that you can check in via mobile device if your internet goes down via tethering...

Also when you go to bed at night, your Xbox One is in stand by mode, downloading updates etc or whatever... this is the time the check can be done also.. it happens automatically.

I don't see a problem with the 24hr check in.. MS aren't forcing you to purchase the console. It all depends on what you want it for.. the 360 will be supported for another 5 years or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I know they're making a big deal about being able to log into your account from any xbox in the world and play your games, but realistically, who is this of benefit to? travelling salesmen?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I know they're making a big deal about being able to log into your account from any xbox in the world and play your games, but realistically, who is this of benefit to? travelling salesmen?

Hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Hotels.

Same thought just came into my head, would be pretty sweet but is that in any way realistic? Would hotels invest in putting an xbox in every room?

People with friends who have the One, people who have multiple consoles (there are more than you think), probably other examples I can't think of off the top of my head. There certainly are a lot of people who would be interested in this. It's pretty much the best thing going for the One. Some might argue one of the very few good things.

Hotels.

I must be staying in the wrong type of hotels.

just a thought.....

"COMING SOON, to video on demand - real life hotel room romps, bought to you by Microsoft, and Saurons all seeing eye - KINECT!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

If I go to my friends (assuming they have a XB1) I can log in on their machine and my whole library is there to play.

Edit: Also the sharing feature sounds cool too. From here:
    You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time. All in all, this does sound like a pretty convenient feature that's more workable than simply passing discs around amongst friends who are actually in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You're assuming the worst, I'm assuming the best. It's all assumptions so we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm hardly assuming the worst by saying there's no reason to think there'll be discount codes for games, there is no reason to think that. It's not implausible but i cant see how you'd assume its the likely path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Hotels.

I still don't think its a viable option. Takes too long to download a game, especially on a hotel's internet that will have a couple of hundred other people connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

If i bought an xbox one and didnt connect it online everyday what would happen? Im a human im not going to be held to ransom by some electronic gadgetery trying to dictate to me what to do with my day.

madalig12 wrote: »
    If i bought an xbox one and didnt connect it online everyday what would happen? Im a human im not going to be held to ransom by some electronic gadgetery trying to dictate to me what to do with my day.

no single player games.. you can watch blu-ray movies etc.. watch tv etc..

But every 24hrs you need to log on so they can see if you still have the licences etc... you can log on using your mobile too.

If your Xbox One is always connected to your internet, it will check in automatically for you... but if your internet goes down then you need another way to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You would lose all gaming functions until you connect it again. If thats a problem buy the PS4 it doesn't have those restrictions.

@Above, you can't authenticate using your mobile. You can tether your mobile data to your Xbox, not all phones have that feature.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

maximoose wrote: »
    Same thought just came into my head, would be pretty sweet but is that in any way realistic? Would hotels invest in putting an xbox in every room?

Could have it as a feature in certain rooms, suites.

I know I'd go for it if I was somewhere on business for a few days/week.

halolma wrote: »
    no single player games.. you can watch blu-ray movies etc.. watch tv etc..

But every 24hrs you need to log on so they can see if you still have the licences etc... you can log on using your mobile too.

If your Xbox One is always connected to your internet, it will check in automatically for you... but if your internet goes down then you need another way to check in.

So it doesn't have to be turned on, just connected? A £400 box to allow me to watch tv lol

So it doesn't have to be turned on, just connected? A £400 box to allow me to watch tv lol
    Yep, because why would you use a console for games?

No, just connected.. its never ACTUALLY powered off.. its on sleep mode, and its still connected to Xbox Live/Internet.

So it does the check in for you automatically at certain times.

What if its plugged out?

• Advertisement

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/11/xbox-one-smart-match/

Interesting stuff here about the future of matchmaking, the social ranking could he great if it starts lumping all the Nazi logo, type people from cod into one gene pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

So have Microsoft shelved "IllumiRoom"?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385755/microsoft-reveals-xbox-illumiroom-concept-video/

There was no mention of this at the E3 presentation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cool idea but it was never really a goer since it required a projector to work, but i liked the concept, gimmicky as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

I pre ordered both next gen console today in Smyths. To my surprise 70+ pre orders of the Sony PS4 on the list and only 10 pre orders of M$ XBOX One????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

That whole general impression that people got from the handling of 2nd hand games could hit MS badly - plus the €100 price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jock101 wrote: »
    I pre ordered both next gen console today in Smyths. To my surprise 70+ pre orders of the Sony PS4 on the list and only 10 pre orders of M$ XBOX One????
    there were reports done from amazons facebook page that suggested that sony had 15 times the preorders of the xbox one......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

there were reports done from amazons facebook page that suggested that sony had 15 times the preorders of the xbox one......

And deservedly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

You dont stay up with gaming events do ya mate? Microschaft has sold ye out while Sony stuck with core gamers and a better less intrusive service.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Unsurprising really. The more powerful and cheaper console with no restrictions was always going to blow the xbox out of the water

• Advertisement

What if its plugged out?

if its plugged out, I am not sure.. if it has an internal clock, it would be 24hrs again I suppose, not 100% sure on that.

another point is if you are offline, and the Xbox One doesn't have an internal clock... could you just go to the dashboard, and keep rewind the clock back on your xbox? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement