Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭halolma

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Unsurprising really. The more powerful and cheaper console with no restrictions was always going to blow the xbox out of the water

I doubt that very much...

Look at PS3 Vs 360, PS3 was more powerful, yet Xbox did alot better... it was only near the end of the 7 or 8 years that PS3 came back with better sells...

also PSN got hacked and left customers without online service for a while.

Xbox One has the power of the Cloud too.. and MS are looking to build to the future.

Sony may need to release another console after 5 years or so[I say maybe] Microsoft probably won't have to with the way they setup the XB1.

Also you do now know you pay to play online for the PS4, no more free online gaming.

What are your exact issues with the restrictions? 24hr check in? pre-owned games?

Sony have stated after their E3 conference, that its up to the publisher to decide what restrictions, if any.

Pre-owned games can be sold, BUT again its up to the publishers to charge a price or not, not Microsoft.

24hr check in? Well how often does your internet go down? Do you mostly play online?

My broadband has gone down 2-3 times in 3-4 years. My Xbox is always on, I never turn it off, whether I am using it or not, whether I am at home or not.

If you want offline games, keep your 360 if you have one, they are supporting it for another 4-5 years or so. Or buy a PS4.

Just because its cheaper doesn't mean its the best option.. I would gladly pay over €150 more for the Xbox One that getting a PS4...

Xbox Live is better, more reliable, better controllers, better gaming experience.[I own a PS3, so I have experience with the 2 services, which I now use as a blu-ray play]

Why also if you have a 360, would you get rid of it? There will be certain games coming out for that, that you will not get for the One this year.

Grand Theft Auto 5 for one, as it is with Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Check this info out, about Microsofts Cloud that Xbox One will be using.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/reach-for-the-sky-cloud-power.453110517/unread

justryan wrote: »
    So have Microsoft shelved "IllumiRoom"?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385755/microsoft-reveals-xbox-illumiroom-concept-video/

There was no mention of this at the E3 presentation.

Microsoft were never releasing it at E3...

It's a prototype what was shown and they what they are looking into it... You may see it in the next year or a few years down the line...

It's the same way when they did mock ups of Xbox Stingray. That too was just something they were working on... That has been pulled at the moment, but could come back. Who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

All the points you mentioned above, and the always on camera in your room connected to the internet. You would not believe it, it reads like an Orwell book only worse, an omnipresence in your room all the time. Listening to your private moments, your fights, your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This "cloud" gubbins from Microsoft is only marketing guff and just means sending work to dedicated servers rather than doing it on the console. It already exists in this generation to a smaller extent. It wouldn't require a new console for Sony to implement, only extra backend servers made available for the game companies to utilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

The camera isn't always on and connected to the internet. The microphone will be listening, but only for a specific phrase ("Xbox on" or something) and it too won't be connected to the internet unless you tell it to do something that requires internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Baffling. Microsoft have done everything in their power to get you to not buy their product and you still preorder. Op, I'd invest in some locks because I reckon an MS representative is on his way to your house to beat your wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Rascasse wrote: »
    The camera isn't always on and connected to the internet. The microphone will be listening, but only for a specific phrase ("Xbox on" or something) and it too won't be connected to the internet unless you tell it to do something that requires internet access.

This ground has been well covered, so if it's not always on, I can disconnect it? Or will the console stop working? And as you said it always listening, there's no getting around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"I invoke the mighty power of the CLOUD"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It's just going to be another fanboy war! Will it never end?

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    It's just going to be another fanboy war! Will it never end?

In a post apocalyptic future, you will all be mere slaves to the glorious PC gamer master race.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    In a post apocalyptic future, you will all be mere slaves to the glorious PC gamer master race.

God dammit man, do you not recognise one of your own! Can't have strife amongst our subjects though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

NORTH1 wrote: »
    This ground has been well covered, so if it's not always on, I can disconnect it? Or will the console stop working? And as you said it always listening, there's no getting around that.

If it can read your facial expressions I can probably document what it hears into a text document, all for use in market research. All uploaded every day.

I may be being a bit tinfoil hat about it, but I'm shocked to see people so blasè about a listening camera in the room, that you can't disconnect while playing the console.

Grayditch wrote: »
    If it can read your facial expressions I can probably document what it hears into a text document, all for use in market research. All uploaded every day.

I may be being a bit tinfoil hat about it, but I'm shocked to see people so blasè about a listening camera in the room, that you can't disconnect while playing the console.

I can just see someone playing FIFA and the Xbox One hearing them shouting in frustration, and the game gets harder just to troll them!

It is strange though, it'd be a nifty feature if it could be connected and disconnected at will.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    God dammit man, do you not recognise one of your own! Can't have strife amongst our subjects though.

Just wait until the Moba forum gets approved... Civil war could be on the horizon.

Grayditch wrote: »

It only listens to certain phrases to turn it on etc...

Don't get so paranoid. Christ.. You do know that ****e they talk on those sites are mostly from the US where their privacy laws are not as strict as over here?

Microsoft will have to abide by the EU laws in terms of Privacy.. ****, they have even stated that the Kinect doesn't collect data to the extent people are all in a panic about!

Buy the PS4 if you are going to feel that way...

Jesus! PS4 has already shown hardware issues at the Sony conference, where games have crashed a few times.. The only one that people got to see crashing was Assassins Creed IV and that was on stage.

Before making a decision, try the things out yourself then decide which one to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You certainly seemed to take that personally.

Well you're probably right, it's not as if corporations ever employ intrusive practices...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And its not like microsoft have been secretly handing over their customers personal data to the NSA or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Was just in my local gamestop this morning. Placed my preorder for the Xbox one. The guy behind the counter said that they've 37 preordered versus 46 ps4. Not as far apart as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

If you get banned on the X1 you lose all access to every game you own, even singleplayer games. How nice..

fWpJY1n.jpg

People who cheat should definitely be punished, but they paid money for those games and they shouldn't be allowed to just take all of them away. Another reason why physical is better than all digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

If you get banned on the X1 you lose all access to every game you own, even singleplayer games. How nice..

ill be interest to see if the EU get involved in regards the privacy issues, the eu competition laws, its active block on EU countries and now the ownership issues

It sounds like its a candidate for an import ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

NTMK wrote: »
    ill be interest to see if the EU get involved in regards the privacy issues, the eu competition laws, its active block on EU countries and now the ownership issues

It sounds like its a candidate for an import ban

In the MS terms and conditions for Xbox it says no one can take legal class action against them, Sony have a similar T&C.

Germany already had something to say about the privacy concerns with Kinect being always connected but I don't think anything happened there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

In the MS terms and conditions for Xbox it says no one can take legal class action against them, Sony have a similar T&C.

Germany already had something to say about the privacy concerns with Kinect being always connected but I don't think anything happened there.

In the US that works, in the EU it doesn't override your rights. the EU can take ban items that violate rights but it takes a while. EULA's dont mean **** in the EU

Germany will probably ban the console if they're not satisfied about privacy but it wont be banned until 2014 if they pursue it. they go crazy over privacy.

This whole you can turn off Kinect but not unplug it is concerning though and i hope the germans hammer them about it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Even if it's in the T&C it doesn't mean it's enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

halolma wrote: »

Look at PS3 Vs 360, PS3 was more powerful, yet Xbox did alot better... it was only near the end of the 7 or 8 years that PS3 came back with better sells...

PS4 50% raw power advantage over Xbox One

The PS3 was more powerful and games that look as good as uncharted and god of war were not on the Xbox 360. Sales do not equal quality btw, otherwise call of duty would be regarded as the best game out there.

It did, it was down for a month even, but that was it. We got free games when it came back up so I was happy enough :D Live has also been hacked a few times and down as well, though not nearly as long.

Bar one incident 2 years ago, PSN is a great service and was free.
    Xbox One has the power of the Cloud too.. and MS are looking to build to the future.

Sony may need to release another console after 5 years or so[I say maybe] Microsoft probably won't have to with the way they setup the XB1.

This complete marketing drivel. They know they have the weaker console and are just using "the power of the cloud" to make empty promises of future power. Look into cloud computing further to see how unviable it is in the real world with things like lighting effects and rendering. It would lag a few seconds all the time and require a very sizeable broadband speed. I doubt I'd be able for it given my speed I have here at the minute.
    Also you do now know you pay to play online for the PS4, no more free online gaming.
    I do and I'm not happy about it, but having said that, I'm already on PS+. I have never had such a value for money service and I've more than made up for my year subscription which I only paid €35 for.

What has Live ever given you back?
    What are your exact issues with the restrictions? 24hr check in? pre-owned games?
    I like to own my game, not rent it. If I want to give my game to a mate or trade it in, it's mine to do so. Consumer rights and all that. I think it's just foolish to give them up, and for what benefit to you yourself if you were to do so?
    Sony have stated after their E3 conference, that its up to the publisher to decide what restrictions, if any.
    They said it's the same model the PS3 uses now, the used game policies between the PS4 and X1 are worlds apart.

That means that all Sony developed games will have no restrictions and other publishers may impose an online pass system like what happened this gen, but with EA saying they are discontinuing that, I'm not too worried about that becoming the norm for PS4.
    Pre-owned games can be sold, BUT again its up to the publishers to charge a price or not, not Microsoft.
    Only once and at full retail price.

So if I traded in a game, that game could only be traded in once, so the person who bought my game couldn't do it again. Which makes you wonder what's the point of buying second hand at all if there's no difference in price, supposedly?
    24hr check in? Well how often does your internet go down? Do you mostly play online?
    Nope, I'm a mostly single player guy myself. I think it's a joke I'd need internet to play offline, not to mention people with no broadband, they do exist in the country too you know, can't play the system at all. It's ridiculous and completely unnecessary with no benefit to the consumer.

My eircom broadband does give me problems very once in a while with 4 periods over the year where it was gone for 2-3 days even. I'd be very pissed off I couldn't play single player games just because of that.
    My broadband has gone down 2-3 times in 3-4 years. My Xbox is always on, I never turn it off, whether I am using it or not, whether I am at home or not.
    Well good for you, but what you experience isn't what everyone else experiences. My broadband is nowhere near as reliable, which would again, limit the amount of people that could have a seamless experience with X1, if at all.
    If you want offline games, keep your 360 if you have one, they are supporting it for another 4-5 years or so. Or buy a PS4.
    I think the most logical thing to do would be to buy a PS4 if that were the case. It's more than a bit arrogant if the head of Microsoft has come out and said if you want offline, stick to xbox 360.

Gamers Without Internet Can Stick With Xbox 360, Says Microsoft
    Just because its cheaper doesn't mean its the best option.. I would gladly pay over €150 more for the Xbox One that getting a PS4...
    Well I'd ask you, €150 for what? I've yet to see any advantage the X1 has over the PS4 that wasn't TV based.
    Xbox Live is better, more reliable, better controllers, better gaming experience.[I own a PS3, so I have experience with the 2 services, which I now use as a blu-ray play]
    Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I like Live, but I do not think it's worth €50 a year for cross game chat and ads filling up my dashboard. It's nowhere near as good a service as PS+ in terms of value. I've made my money back and far, far more already and I'm only 4 months into my sub.

My experience with PSN and Live has been good, though I never saw much of a difference between the two services, especially not €50 worth of difference to justify paid online.

Anyway that's a bit besides the point, PSN will be upgraded a huge amount so the whole "Xbox live is better" argument will be dead in the water soon enough, on PS4 at least.
    Why also if you have a 360, would you get rid of it? There will be certain games coming out for that, that you will not get for the One this year.

Those are multiplatform games. They don't entice me to hold onto a console, I buy consoles for their exclusives.

Ideally it'd be great for all the consoles to be backwards compatible so I could sell them on and free up some space, but you have to look at it and see what gives you more incentive to keep one around. GT6 and The Last of Us are just a few exclusives that came out on PS3 this year, what came out on xbox?

Comparisons like that is what I'm talking about.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/reach-for-the-sky-cloud-power.453110517/unread

Again this cloud talk just sounds far too good to be true, and for the most part yes it is. Microsoft themselves have said that only low latency processing can be handled by the cloud, that immediately limits the possibility of it from the get go.

This is starting to sound like some fanboy spiel, not my intention, but when discussing and looking at the facts in a logical way, the xbox just can't beat the PS4 in any regard. From power, to the amount of exclusive games, to the stance on consumer restrictions.

Honestly from what I've seen from the X1 I'm not sold, and even if they were far more equal I wouldn't support their restrictive policies in case they actually were to catch on and Sony would start implementing it as well, much the same as what happened to paying for online. If Sony did follow suit with all the restrictions I'd be out completely too.

Edit: just realised it's a closed account I'm responding to. What a waste :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

halolma wrote: »

It's depressing to read this really. I'd suggest stepping back for a minute and look at exactly what Microsoft are selling you, and the future of gaming.

And please, do your research on cloud computing, I really would love to see how Microsoft will overcome the inherent latency issues that even the fastest servers won't be able to overcome. Sending information from your xbox and back will still be limited by your broadband latency, in which case it makes it unsuitable for anything but "background processing", which really makes me wonder how any of this will revolutionise gaming? As others have been mentioned, you're being fed a line to make up for the Xbox specs. I'd take a physical set of GDDR5 over what's in Microsoft's cloud any day.

At any rate, I pity the early adopters. There is a lof of hype and excitement, which is always nice to see, but there will be tears come christmas time. I don't really care, I'm stepping back, waiting for the dust to clear and seeing which one actually is better this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

This is a good article on the DRM issues.
    I really like the fact that you can access your games anywhere your logged in, its probably the best feature of the new Xbox..shame Microsoft has communicated all these changes so poorly.

http://www.wpcentral.com/lets-talk-xbox-drm

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

fWpJY1n.jpg

People who cheat should definitely be punished, but they paid money for those games and they shouldn't be allowed to just take all of them away. Another reason why physical is better than all digital.

I love how they refer to them as your licences, rather than, you know, your games...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I love how they refer to them as your licences, rather than, you know, your games...

But that's the point, its not your game, you didn't make it. You bought a license to play the game. In the past the license was linked to a physical piece of hardware cartridge/cd. Now the license is stored on an xbox server.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

IMAGINE THE AMOUNT OF LADS THAT ARE GONNA BE CAUGHT OUT WITH KINECT HAVING NINJA FAPS :P

OH MICROSOFT KINECT IS THE WORST ASPECT OF THE ONE.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

mark_m360 wrote: »
    This is a good article on the DRM issues.
    I really like the fact that you can access your games anywhere your logged in, its probably the best feature of the new Xbox..shame Microsoft has communicated all these changes so poorly.

I keep seeing this popping up as something that people like about the changes but no one seems to be taking into account that it works this way now. If you buy all your games digitally through MS then you can use them anywhere with your gamertag.

I don't think many people do this. And I definitely don't think that enough people do this to justify taking away the choice of how you want to use your games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement