Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

liamog wrote: »
    But that's the point, its not your game, you didn't make it. You bought a license to play the game. In the past the license was linked to a physical piece of hardware cartridge/cd. Now the license is stored on an xbox server.

But you paid to play the game, not for a licence file on your xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

mark_m360 wrote: »
    This is a good article on the DRM issues.
    I really like the fact that you can access your games anywhere your logged in, its probably the best feature of the new Xbox..shame Microsoft has communicated all these changes so poorly.

http://www.wpcentral.com/lets-talk-xbox-drm

This annoys me. I can do this today. It hasn't anything to do with the new DRM.

My brother and I have PS3s. He's in London, I'm here in Dublin. I can log into his machine and download all my digital games onto his machine. And what's better, he can play all of them on his account. And even better still, I can come home and play these games on my PS3 while he can still play them on his PS3. At the same time. (You can have your content on two machines, playable by any accounts on those machines, meaning you can share each others digital content).

There are lots of great benefits to digital. They don't need Microsoft's DRM and them controlling your every move and forcing you to ask every day to be able to play your own games, or their control of physical discs. It's terrible justification of stuff that isn't needed at all. The only thing that DRM is needed for is so Microsoft can block or control trade ins and private sales of discs.

It would be really dumb to give up your basic consumer controls and options for things that don't need that sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Orim wrote: »
    I keep this popping up as something that people like about the changes but no one seems to be taking into account that it works this way now. If you buy all your games digitally through MS then you can use them anywhere with your gamertag.

I don't think many people do this. And I definitely don't think that enough people do this to justify taking away the choice of how you want to use your games.

And you can do this now with the 360, just pop around to your mates house with the disc, where's the issues? This is nothing new...

Sorry, quoted wrong text....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Well for good or bad I preordered the damned thing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

NORTH1 wrote: »
    And you can do this now with the 360, just pop around to your mates house with the disc, where's the issues? This its nothing new...

Sorry, quoted wrong text....

I think you missed my point. I'm saying that people are trying to justify the new DRM by saying that you can have all your games on your gamertag and that's great.

But the fact is that you can do that now. If you buy all your digitally then they are all on your gamertag.

Ah, just noticed your edit :)

• Advertisement

Why would they close the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Why would they close the account?
    CUSTOMERS NINJA ****... i heard thats gonna be against policies...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you're gonna get that wound up, probably best closing the account and seeing what's outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's A market and usually, it's the knock down prices that attracts on Steam, but I'd say that the majority still buy hard copies.

Case in point, it took me 11 hours to download a 15gig patch for 'Shogun 2' recently, because of Steam's ****ed up patching policy. Steam is generally bloody awful. It certainly isn't something that should be getting trumped up as a good way forward.

I certainly wouldn't bother with many games if I had to go through that ****e every time...

...and I can guarantee you that many others wouldn't either.

I've been using steam for 8 years and I've had very few problems, if it took you 11 hours to download a 15gb its because you have sh!te internet. The last hard copy of a game I bought was skyrim on the day it was released because it was cheaper than on steam, before that I can't remember. The vast majority of steam users buy very few hard copies because theres no point unless its cheaper, and its almost never cheaper.

On top of that steam sales have allowed me to build up a huge collection of games for a fraction of the price it would have cost me on console. Whether you like it or not the hard copy format of buying games is dieing out. Its pretty much already dead on PC and the consoles will follow with the next generation. Its pretty obvious that MS in particular are moving in this direction, their consoles become more and more like gaming PCs with each generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

With Steam I only buy games if they are cheaper than the physical copies.

So far on XBL and PSN digital downloads of games are more expensive by €10-€20 than the physical copies in the shop. Until this changes I will continue to buy physical copies of games until they cop on with digital prices. Tomb Raider only released a few months ago, brand new is €25 on Amazon wait and see how much that will be when it goes up on PSN or Live, at least €50 and not anything like the B&M stores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

An active microphone in your home, I think any one whose paranoid about it has every right, especially when you consider the prism situation

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've been using steam for 8 years and I've had very few problems, if it took you 11 hours to download a 15gb its because you have sh!te internet. The last hard copy of a game I bought was skyrim on the day it was released because it was cheaper than on steam, before that I can't remember. The vast majority of steam users buy very few hard copies because theres no point unless its cheaper, and its almost never cheaper.

On top of that steam sales have allowed me to build up a huge collection of games for a fraction of the price it would have cost me on console. Whether you like it or not the hard copy format of buying games is dieing out. Its pretty much already dead on PC and the consoles will follow with the next generation. Its pretty obvious that MS in particular are moving in this direction, their consoles become more and more like gaming PCs with each generation.

Is piracy not killing steam off?

How are they staying in business?

Do they check in every 24 hours?

Do they have an always on microphone?

Is there any trade in on steam?

I have a steam account from years back but have never used it....

Is piracy not killing steam off?

Nope, steam grows every year.
    How are they staying in business?

They are providing a service and a level of quality that nobody seems to be able to match at the moment.
    Do they check in every 24 hours?

No. If you try to log into your steam account an a different computer it sends an you an email with a code you have to enter before you can access your account. Steam has an offline mode that you can use if for as long as you like without having to check in online.
    Do they have an always on microphone?

Nah, most PCs don't use voice control in the same way the xbone will.

Steam has a trading system. You can buy "gift" copies of games and trade them with your friends, as well as other inventory items. Buy you can't trade or sell games second hand.
    I have a steam account from years back but have never used it....

It seems to me that the console developers are slowing moving towards a more steam like model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kinect can be turned off. As in, it was said that even saying Xbox On will not turn it on, from my understanding. Course, that'll not be enough to please some people. Though, that person who closed their account... Wouldn't be surprised if they have a Redmond IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've been using steam for 8 years and I've had very few problems, if it took you 11 hours to download a 15gb its because you have sh!te internet.

That's my point for **** sake.

The majority of people are not on 20+ gig download speeds. They are on modest connections and waiting around for gigs of data is just not an option.

"Always on", "24 Logging in" and "digital downloads only" are idiotic business decisions taken and supported by peopel who have little grasp on the realities of the global online community and the very real limitations that most people operate under.

For gods sake, there are millions of people who have a monthly download limit, which will be blown by a couple of games!

Good business is about inclusivity, not exculsivity.

I sincerely hope that all of Microsoft's ridiculous moves blow up in their faces and seriously dents their exploits in the gaming market, because they thoroughly deserve it.

...and I say that as a supporter of Windows and the Xbox360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

halolma wrote: »
    Microsoft were never releasing it at E3...

It's a prototype what was shown and they what they are looking into it... You may see it in the next year or a few years down the line...

It's the same way when they did mock ups of Xbox Stingray. That too was just something they were working on... That has been pulled at the moment, but could come back. Who knows...

At E3 2010 Microsoft where showcasing Kinect with rather flashy visuals one feature which they neglected to implement was 3D scanning; scanning real world objects into a game, in the presentation the kid scanned a skateboard into the game.

Three years later and I've yet to see a Kinect game capable of doing this, I reckon "IllumiRoom" will suffer the same fate; an interesting concept but something that won't be implemented.

halolma wrote: »
    Microsoft were never releasing it at E3...

It's a prototype what was shown and they what they are looking into it... You may see it in the next year or a few years down the line...

It's the same way when they did mock ups of Xbox Stingray. That too was just something they were working on... That has been pulled at the moment, but could come back. Who knows...
    just by reading the last few pages i am wondering do you work for microsoft?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

How much did smyths take as a deposit for a pre-order?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

I read this on Cracked today and with all the talk of piracy and DRM here I thought this would be a good place to share.

5 ways games designers are messing with pirates I think number 1 on the list brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

Hey I was wondering if I bought an american Xbox One from US Amazon would it work here in Ireland? I wouldn't have to go to this hassle if it weren't for the prices being so screwed up.
    X box is region lockef so answer is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There is no point when you're paying very little for the games. The most I ever paid for a game was 25 euro (BioShock infinite). There are loads of good F2P games as well. And, you don't have to buy them on Steam. http://www.g2play.net/store/home.php

Yeah there are plenty of sites which just sell keys that you can use to redeem the game on steam. I got Dishonoured for about €25 a week after it was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I have to say - I had no desire to get an Xbox One until I started hearing everyone bashing it.

Now I feel like everyone complaining has no idea wtf they are talking about; and I can't wait to get an Xbox

UCDVet wrote: »
    I have to say - I had no desire to get an Xbox One until I started hearing everyone bashing it.

Now I feel like everyone complaining has no idea wtf they are talking about; and I can't wait to get an Xbox

Whats that saying about a fool about and his money??

ah for god sake.....

most bashing it were and are xbox fanboys.. myself included but the policies they have put in place are ridiculous..

CMpunked wrote: »
    How much did smyths take as a deposit for a pre-order?
    no need to preorder by the looks of it

oh and 20 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can I interest you in some magic beans...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Meanwhile, the PS4 ran on PS4s....

Oh... wait.

• Advertisement

Just saw this was uploaded... Had to post it first, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement