Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lancer89 wrote: »
    You can't share games, or buy pre-owned games, you must be connected to the internet... This is going to kill xbox's following from alot of the financially stricken students. And the PS4 will be cheaper too?
    I'll be sticking with my 360 thanks
    You can trade in games, publishers just get a cut of the price now. You can share games as well using the family members thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

The one gold membership per console, a great move forward.
    As said above the family plan.

The cost of investing in the system, and there is no guarantee that if the plug is pulled in five or ten years. ... you left with a dead weight sitting in the corner of the room.

I personal wanted a games console that would run just as good as a pc. I'm not interested in the tv and media centre.

The kinect... the one at home only gets used as a party gimmick, a very good one. But it is plugged out most of the time. And with young kids in the house, that's the way I like a camera that is connected to the Internet.

Typical Baitin, two hours too late to the fight, and not enough fire power. You can't see the forest cause you keep hitting the trees...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Positives:
    • The 'family' sharing plan (It doesn't have a blood test to ensure that you are actually related to the 10 people on your list)
    • The Cloud Powered thing could be good - I know that a lot of it is marketing guff, but some examples I think they talked about that was that it can be generating enemy locations off-screen (like in Dead Rising) so that there can be thousands of enemies in the game and on-screen. It also (finally) should get rid of the peer-to-peer network gaming aspect of Xbox Live.
    • The Kinect: OK, many won't use it, but because it is definitely there it means that devs can look at inventive ways to use it. OK, Dead Rising again - I know that the 'alert the zombie horde' will be optional (you can switch it off), but it means that they're looking at ways to include it in a proper game to enhance it rather than shoe-horn in some wave-like-a-wally QTE.
    • One Gold for everyone on the console

Negatives:
    • The Price: It's a bit steep, but possibly worth it. However, being almost €500 moves it from a 'definitely buy' to a 'Hmm. I'll have to think about that'.
    • No Gaming after 24-hours offline: I understand their licencing model, and to have that shared library, that they need to check licences frequently. I understand that some sort of keep-alive or heartbeat check would be required. But, to kill the game functionality totally seems harsh.
    • Microsoft's PR / Communication: Honestly, with a bit of a better spin they could totally have sold the whole package much better. Lead with the Family sharing plan. Tell about how Game trade-in's will still be possible, tell how the cloud will be used. Don't just give a marketing line about 'the infinite power of the cloud', or release an FAQ three weeks after a furore kicks off. That's not how to do it. Must try harder.

Out of the 10 people, only two people can access the library at the same time.
    Its still a cool system, but its not worth it when you consider everything else.
    Did they say that somewhere?

I thought all 10 people can access the library, but only one person can play a specific title at a time (the same as would happen if you loaned them the disc, you couldn't play it at home).

If a title supported split-screen, then two or more users could play it at the same time (as if it was couch co-op). So, in theory, four people in the 'family' could play Halo multiplayer on four different consoles at the same time (probably split screen, though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

NORTH1 wrote: »
    The cost of investing in the system, and there is no guarantee that if the plug is pulled in five or ten years. ... you left with a dead weight sitting in the corner of the room. .

Major Nelson confirmed this week that that was not something they would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Positives: Good launch titles and exclusives. Dead Rising 3, Project Spark and TitalFall all look like class exclusives (whether some are timed and will arrive on the PS4 at a later date is unknown.) Sunset Overdrive looks very interesting and Ryse to a lesser extent.

Negatives: Extra €100 price tag over the PS4. DRM policy. Used game policy. Kinect to me is a gimmick, especially for titles released on both consoles as the PS4 is not shipping with the eye toy so it’s obviously not going to play a big part in the PS4 architecture.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Major Nelson confirmed this week that that was not something they would do.

These guys have not had a great record recently on what they will and will not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

deadeye940 wrote: »
    Agree with the kinect being bundled. Only game I saw that really had a good feature for it was dead rising 3. having to be quiet or the zombies will hear you seems like a really good feature

at least they are trying to use the kinect for something other than "turn on console". Useless to me since my xbox is in a different room to my display, unless I can extend it over cat5/usb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

Does anyone have any solid info about the 'family plan'? Like how restricted are you to choosing who you can add to the list? How many people can access the library/games in the library?

I'm basically a fanboy searching for anything that can mean I have a real reason to get the X1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

AirDemon wrote: »
    Does anyone have any solid info about the 'family plan'? Like how restricted are you to choosing who you can add to the list? How many people can access the library/games in the library?

There's little about it, as far as the details go you can add 10 "Family" members and two people can play the same game simultaneously, but as said above, thankfully kinect doesn't do blood tests yet :)

There's little about it, as far as the details go you can add 10 "Family" members and two people can play the same game simultaneously, but as said above, thankfully kinect doesn't do blood tests yet :)

You will need a birth cert, passport number, and the long credit card number....

Ah that's good, so the 10 people in my list will be able to play 10 different games from my library. That sounds like a great reason to buy the X1.

If only the damn kinnect wasn't a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Pretty much covers must of the concerns people have regarding Privacy with the kinect, DRM, sharing etc.Worth the read http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/

Great read there ! I mean I think the XBone hate raging through the internet is quite hysterical and frankly comical most of the time - Check out the Game Faq Boards for a good laugh. I am not saying that M$ don’t have some serious issues to address (DRM etc.) with this console but I believe that 'Overall' it's not a bad machine - in fact when you iron out some of the more obvious Kinks it is going to be a truly Great Machine - the cloud dev possibilities here are something that could truly be a game-changer !

And make no mistake - When M$ start getting traction with the new model of game sharing/distribution etc. Sony and all the others will quickly follow suit.

I still plan on waiting about a year or so before making any purchase though, you can be sure there are other issues we can’t see now – and that goes for both XBone and PS4

Flame away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

With the family plan only two people can access the shared library at once, and they can't play the same game.

And make no mistake - When M$ start getting traction with the new model of game sharing/distribution etc. Sony and all the others will quickly follow suit.

I still plan on waiting about a year or so before making any purchase though, you can be sure there are other issues we can’t see now – and that goes for both XBone and PS4

Flame away.....

I think a lot of people are going to hold of the Xbox One, just because the price is too steep. I only know two people that are going to pick up the X1, the rest are going to keep rocking the 360.

Wonder will you be able to do party chat with people that have the 360 on the X1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

With the family plan only two people can access the shared library at once, and they can't play the same game.

so the second person then has to download a digital copy to their own HD ?

syboit wrote: »
    so the second person then has to download a digital copy to their own HDD ?

Yes. You also don't have to insert discs into the X1, you can just play it after installing it, thats why the 24 hour check is there. Otherwise the same copy would be populated on many different X1's.

TBH I like the sharing model on the X1 A LOT more than PS4, its just the way they presented the thing confused a **** load of people including me.

The presentation could have been done a lot better and I think thats whats going to hurt it the most

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

syboit wrote: »
    so the second person then has to download a digital copy to their own HD ?

2 people can play the same game at the one time (1 has to be the owner of the game)

The second person doesn't download anything, they would access it through the cloud and wouldn't be able to play MP if the other person is playing MP.

Yes. You also don't have to insert discs into the X1, you can just play it after installing it, thats why the 24 hour check is there. Otherwise the same copy would be populated on many different X1's.

I don't see how the 24 hour check has anything to do with the second person downloading the copy, from what I can see from the family plan you will have to be online all the time while playing to game so that they can be sure that no one else is playing a game in the library so that would mean the 24 hour check is needless for this feature.

• Advertisement

Could you post a like for this, please. Because it's my understanding that it's one person per shared title at a time (Unless multiple people in the family own the game), and that 10 people could be in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I don't think the Xbone is that bad a console, despite it taking an absolute slating. I'll be getting a PS4, but mainly because Sony have been up front and honest and I know exactly what I'm getting. MS are contradicting themselves at every turn and generally making a total bags out of what is potentially their biggest seller this year.

In the same way that people are convinced they need a mac to surf the internet by apple's brilliant marketing, people are being convinced that the Xbone is going to be ****e by horrendous marketing by MS.The twats.

AirDemon wrote: »
    I don't see how the 24 hour check has anything to do with the second person downloading the copy, from what I can see from the family plan you will have to be online all the time while playing to game so that they can be sure that no one else is playing a game in the library so that would mean the 24 hour check is needless for this feature.

Read the reddit post.

Once you insert the disc into your x1 it installs it and ties it to your account. Now if you there was no 24 hour check you could just install the game and sell it on. I'm not talking about the family sharing.

As said, read the post to get the full story

Once you insert the disc into your x1 it installs it and ties it to your account. Now if you there was no 24 hour check you could just install the game and sell it on. I'm not talking about the family sharing.y

Oops, I thought you were directly replying about the second person downloading to the HDD message but anyway....

I don't really think it's necessary. I agree there needs to be a check but the check doesn't need to be a 24hr check. The 24hr check is a little too restrictive imo.

It could just as easily check that the game license was still yours every time you go online instead of requiring it every 24hrs. I admit there's some dangers (minor) there. Someone could disconnect there X1 and not connect again, or until they were finished with the game. This is very limiting as you'll have no online features, you'll not be able to purchase new games as they will not be able to authenticate online, etc.

The amount of people that would stay disconnected for very long would be minuscule and would probably have been an acceptable loss compared to the PR hurt they have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Could you post a like for this, please. Because it's my understanding that it's one person per shared title at a time (Unless multiple people in the family own the game), and that 10 people could be in the family.

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Used_Games_and_Rentals

Last point there. And if you read the official MS policy release that they released just before E3 it says it but its sort of vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I have no recollection of subbing to this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Kold wrote: »
    I have no recollection of subbing to this thread...

Kinect done it for you.

You can always play your games, but only one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Taken from the link above. Still not bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't think the Xbone is that bad a console, despite it taking an absolute slating. I'll be getting a PS4, but mainly because Sony have been up front and honest and I know exactly what I'm getting. MS are contradicting themselves at every turn and generally making a total bags out of what is potentially their biggest seller this year.

In the same way that people are convinced they need a mac to surf the internet by apple's brilliant marketing, people are being convinced that the Xbone is going to be ****e by horrendous marketing by MS.The twats.

Are they really though? They're riding a wave of popularity at the moment telling people exactly what they want to hear. I wouldnt be surprised if a few inconvenient details start to filter out in the months on the run up to launch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Are they really though?

They're riding a wave of popularity at the moment telling people exactly what they want to hear. I wouldnt be surprised if a few inconvenient details start to filter out in the months on the run up to launch.

They certainly seem to be.

The rest of your post is nothing more that a bit of mudslinging really, you've no reason to think that other than wanting to think it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement