Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

I don't think we will have a problem with online activation with the Xbox one. Playstation absolutely destroyed Xbox so far in the console wars and I think Xbox's only viable next move is to say that all the "always on" rumours weren't true and you can play your games offline, even if they were intending on implementing always on. However no used games or used games plus a certain fee doesn't bother me as I only bought 2 used games in the whole lifespan of the 360. It will be interesting to see what they say in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

podgemk wrote: »
    I don't think we will have a problem with online activation with the Xbox one. Playstation absolutely destroyed Xbox so far in the console wars and I think Xbox's only viable next move is to say that all the "always on" rumours weren't true and you can play your games offline, even if they were intending on implementing always on. However no used games or used games plus a certain fee doesn't bother me as I only bought 2 used games in the whole lifespan of the 360. It will be interesting to see what they say in the near future.

They're not rumours, MS have confirmed them and have said they are happy with it and won't remove it.
    Where have you been for the past three weeks? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They certainly seem to be.

The rest of your post is nothing more that a bit of mudslinging really, you've no reason to think that other than wanting to think it.

I've no interest in mudslinging, I just dont trust massive corporations, regardless of who they are. They certainly do not have your or my best interest at heart. its all about profit. Microsofts involvement with the US govenment PRISM thing is a big concern to me. I've nothing to hide, but i dont want to walk up to an airline check in desk and have some flunkie able to call up a list of my browsing habits / purchase history / search habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Saw two articles this morning suggesting that PS4 will have a similiar DRM to the Xbox despite what Sony keep saying. Would certainly throw a spanner in the works if true.
    You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people.

I’d bet Sony has some similar stuff up their sleeves they’re just playing on the internet outrage for free PR. You’re all being played!

— Cliff Bleszinski

http://www.castleawesome.com/2013/06/18/cliff-bleszinski-claims-youre-all-being-played-over-the-playstation-4/

Several development sources have told us that they expect game publishers to implement similar DRM policies across Xbox One and PS4, despite what has unfolded at E3 this week.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013-drm-free-ps4-is-a-pr-play-expect-similar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

AirDemon wrote: »
    Oops, I thought you were directly replying about the second person downloading to the HDD message but anyway....

I don't really think it's necessary. I agree there needs to be a check but the check doesn't need to be a 24hr check. The 24hr check is a little too restrictive imo.

It could just as easily check that the game license was still yours every time you go online instead of requiring it every 24hrs. I admit there's some dangers (minor) there. Someone could disconnect there X1 and not connect again, or until they were finished with the game. This is very limiting as you'll have no online features, you'll not be able to purchase new games as they will not be able to authenticate online, etc.

The amount of people that would stay disconnected for very long would be minuscule and would probably have been an acceptable loss compared to the PR hurt they have gotten.

Well its restrictive if you have no permanent internet connection. Otherwise the X1 does the check automatically every 24 hours at night. X1 has WiFi built in, so its not like that you'll have to manually do the check every 24 hours. It will go into standby mode, do the check, check for any updates for games, act accordingly and go back off.

And they did explain it that it only uses a couple of kb's for a check so likes of hotel WiFi or even a quick tether of your phone can do the trick.

I don't know of one person that doesn't have WiFi at home, never seen a student without WiFi either. Most of the houses you move into during college years already has internet in it (how would they access Wikipedia without it? :D )

As I said their presentation was just all over the place, its a bit disappointing now cause that costs them thousands of Xbox fans as a majority made their mind to switch already.

• Advertisement

I've no interest in mudslinging, I just dont trust massive corporations, regardless of who they are. They certainly do not have your or my best interest at heart. its all about profit. Microsofts involvement with the US govenment PRISM thing is a big concern to me. I've nothing to hide, but i dont want to walk up to an airline check in desk and have some flunkie able to call up a list of my browsing habits / purchase history / search habits.

I assume you dont have any apple products, use facebook and hate google search for the very same reasons so? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

podgemk wrote: »

They have already said there will be no additional fee for used games. You are just going to get a reduced value from the participating retailer because a certain amount will be going to the publishers (instead of it all going to the retailer as it is now. Microsoft will still not get any cut from this change).

Also, I have a feeling that they will come out with a new policy and say that you can play your games offline if the disc in the tray.

Saw two articles this morning suggesting that PS4 will have a similiar DRM to the Xbox despite what Sony keep saying. Would certainly throw a spanner in the works if true.

http://www.castleawesome.com/2013/06/18/cliff-bleszinski-claims-youre-all-being-played-over-the-playstation-4/

http://www.edge-online.com/news/e3-2013-drm-free-ps4-is-a-pr-play-expect-similar-policies-across-both-consoles-say-sources/

That Cleff guy is the biggest MS fanboy ever, he should be above all this as he works in the industry.
    Either way, neither of those sources are trustworthy or should be taken with a grain of salt.

When this is what they are relying on for the entire article, you should know that its not worth posting:
    I’d bet Sony has some similar stuff up their sleeves they’re just playing on the internet outrage for free PR. You’re all being played!

I assume you dont have any apple products, use facebook and hate google search for the very same reasons so? :rolleyes:

Course I do, dont get me wrong, I like technology and all the benefits it brings, I'm just not crazy about things like that, or even targeted advertising by websites.

however, I accept that this is the price of participation in these forms of media. I'm not about to go unplug from the world and live in a cave with a tinfoil hat on my head.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Also, I have a feeling that they will come out with a new policy and say that you can play your games offline if the disc in the tray.

Yeah that part still puzzles me, why couldn't they include that as an option, but then again your not going to insert every disc for every game you own to certify that you haven't sold them.

Do remember that your whole library of games is playable without a disc, so their essentially checking your whole library to make sure the licence hasn't been transferred.

• Advertisement

Course I do, dont get me wrong, I like technology and all the benefits it brings, I'm just not crazy about things like that, or even targeted advertising by websites.

however, I accept that this is the price of participation in these forms of media. I'm not about to go unplug from the world and live in a cave with a tinfoil hat on my head.

You said Microsoft is a big concern yet your entire facebook history or every google search you ever made should be of far more concern. You are 110% powerless to stop the US or any government seeing every single thing you do on a daily basis unless you move into an underground bunker and live on cans of beans so why even bring it up when talking about a next generation console? Seemed a very odd point to me to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

Well its restrictive if you have no permanent internet connection. Otherwise the X1 does the check automatically every 24 hours at night. X1 has WiFi built in, so its not like that you'll have to manually do the check every 24 hours. It will go into standby mode, do the check, check for any updates for games, act accordingly and go back off.

And they did explain it that it only uses a couple of kb's for a check so likes of hotel WiFi or even a quick tether of your phone can do the trick.

I don't know of one person that doesn't have WiFi at home, never seen a student without WiFi either. Most of the houses you move into during college years already has internet in it (how would they access Wikipedia without it? :D )

I will have a permanent internet connection most of the time yes, I'll probably be without an internet connection for a month when I move into a new house next year which I admit I could tether through my phone.... That will be a pita as I just want to turn the console on and play but yes I could do it.

College networks are usually controlled networks so you may not be able to use the X1 within them, I know my 360 didn't work.... well it didn't work until we found a way around it.

I will probably buy the console, actually, of course I'll buy the console. It's an XBox, I'd be kidding myself if I pretended otherwise but less fanboyish people will probably get the PS4, for me the PS4 looks a better day 1 console than the X1 for the money and I'm betting 2 years into the gen the X1 will have utilized the kinnect and the cloud computing to get a lot better.

That Cleff guy is the biggest MS fanboy ever, he should be above all this as he works in the industry.
    Either way, neither of those sources are trustworthy or should be taken with a grain of salt.

When this is what they are relying on for the entire article, you should know that its not worth posting:

Its a quote by the head of Epic Games a vocal and respected industry big wig.
    Its probably far more informed than 95% of the nonsense im reading on reddit and the likes lets be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Yeah that part still puzzles me, why couldn't they include that as an option, but then again your not going to insert every disc for every game you own to certify that you haven't sold them.

Do remember that your whole library of games is playable without a disc, so their essentially checking your whole library to make sure the licence hasn't been transferred.

This may seem a bit silly, but can they not make it a live transfer, like an ATM. The game won't work on the friends console until the licence for the game is transferred. Like a money transaction.....or is this to simple?

Its probably far more informed than 95% of the nonsense im reading on reddit and the likes lets be fair.

No, still not a reliable source.
    Its his opinion that they'll do something similar, he doesn't have anything to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It's a quote by an unemployed game developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

No, still not a reliable source.
    Its his opinion that they'll do something similar, he doesn't have anything to back it up.
    You can dismiss them all you like but the fact remains - the publishers will get their money from PS4 users (likely either by DRM or higher game prices). I've said it before, the PS4 will not be DRM nirvana everyone keeps going on about. We want bigger and better games so there has to be a price.

As an example, the only time I can remember trading in a game was in 1992ish when I traded in a couple of games to get Ayrton Senna Monaco GP 2. I remember the game was £39 which works out €49.50, so in 21 years the games haven't really changed price, but when you factor in inflation that €49.50 in 1992 is actually worth €87 today (assuming Irish inflation same as UK). That's the reason for the publishers have been trying to change the ownership model and this generation of consoles will be the ones where it finally happens.

The thoughts of anyone involved in developing Unreal and Gears of War deserves at least my attention.
    He could be full of BS but I was simply posting the articles

You said Microsoft is a big concern yet your entire facebook history or every google search you ever made should be of far more concern. You are 110% powerless to stop the US or any government seeing every single thing you do on a daily basis unless you move into a uderground bunker and live on cans of beans so why even bring it up when talking about a next generation console? Seemed a very odd point to me to say the least.
    I only mentioned that I have concerns with Microsoft because some else back the thread seemed to think I was slinging mud for no good reason other than to some how besmirch the holy reputation of Sony. We're gone a long way off topic by now. I've an Xbox preordered, but people seem to think that microsoft are some sort of big bad evil, when in reality lots of companies do these kind of things.

NORTH1 wrote: »
    This may seem a bit silly, but can they not make it a live transfer, like an ATM. The game won't work on the friends console until the licence for the game is transferred. Like a money transaction.....or is this to simple?

ATM's have an internet connection :) You need a connection of some sort to make a transaction. I presume each game has a licence coded into the disc, the 24 hour check, checks to see has that licence been moved, sold, traded.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »
    It's a quote by an unemployed game developer.

When you head off with a big sack of cash after creating and working on some incredible franchises to start your own company, you're not technically unemployed.

Rascasse wrote: »
    You can dismiss them all you like but the fact remains - the publishers will get their money from PS4 users (likely either by DRM or higher game prices). I've said it before, the PS4 will not be DRM nirvana everyone keeps going on about. We want bigger and better games so there has to be a price.

As an example, the only time I can remember trading in a game was in 1992ish when I traded in a couple of games to get Ayrton Senna Monaco GP 2. I remember the game was £39 which works out €49.50, so in 21 years the games haven't really changed price, but when you factor in inflation that €49.50 in 1992 is actually worth €87 today (assuming Irish inflation same as UK). That's the reason for the publishers have been trying to change the ownership model and this generation of consoles will be the ones where it finally happens.

Again you're basing this of what? People were convinced Sony would have the same DRM as Xbox, it doesn't.
    Wait until there is solid information before spreading your opinion as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The thoughts of anyone involved in developing Unreal and Gears of War deserves at least my attention.
    He could be full of BS but I was simply posting the articles

he was a good creative developer. but he is full of ****. he regularly has a rant about why his games dont sell as much as he would like which he blames on everthing including piracy, 2nd hand games, gamer entitlement but never looks at the fact epic havent made anything worthy of acclaim since GOW1

He blamed bulletstorms poor sales on pc on piracy ignoring the fact he insulted pc gamers about a year or two before hand, the game was a poor enough port and it used GFWL iirc. and in general no one gave a **** about bulletstorm

he also partial to trolling which shows the maturity of the guy

When you head off with a big sack of cash after creating and working on some incredible franchises to start your own company, you're not technically unemployed.

Unless something has changed recently, he is waiting for the right opportunity and not working.
    It doesn't matter if you made a gazillion dollars and invented the wheel. If you are not currently in employment, you are technically unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I've posted about this lots of times, I'm sure there are many who will say jeez, again about my posting on it again, but anyway... Last year, sure I had internet, good internet in student accommodation. It didn't allow one to connect their consoles online though. It was a place with no WEP/WPA/WPA2 or anything. You couldn't access the router.

I was constantly getting MTU error. That's related to bandwidth. The suggested fix was that it had too many people on the connection and get devices off that connection. Yeah, like that was going to happen. This was just one of many such accommodation places and I don't think such an approach is restricted to those I knew about, or accom for that Uni in particular.

Sure, it means I'll have to be smarter about where I go to live. I moved city and just went where seemed good as I was down for the day, pretty much. I now know that getting a console online isn't a foregone conclusion for somewhere.

There are going to be many people moving in to such places next year, and over the following years. They'll all have to rely on the phone method for authentication and for that they'll need a phone capable of such.
    That's what we do now. I haven't suddenly found what we now do to be such a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Again you're basing this of what? People were convinced Sony would have the same DRM as Xbox, it doesn't.
    Wait until there is solid information before spreading your opinion as fact.

It doesn't for first party games, presumably as Sony are willing to accept the opportunity cost for the sake of getting the system out there, but after the best part of 10 years working for a US tech company I can assure you the 3rd party publishers will not allow half their market to trade on less favourable terms than the other half. It may be DRM/trade in restrictions, higher price or timed exclusives in favour of the XB1 (or something else), there will be something.

mcgovern wrote: »
    Unless something has changed recently, he is waiting for the right opportunity and not working.
    It doesn't matter if you made a gazillion dollars and invented the wheel. If you are not currently in employment, you are technically unemployed.

Could he not also be retired? Given the fact that he is worth $15m+ ?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I've posted about this lots of times, I'm sure there are many who will say jeez, again about my posting on it again, but anyway... Last year, sure I had internet, good internet in student accommodation. It didn't allow one to connect their consoles online though. It was a place with no WEP/WPA/WPA2 or anything. You couldn't access the router.

I was constantly getting MTU error. That's related to bandwidth. The suggested fix was that it had too many people on the connection and get devices off that connection. Yeah, like that was going to happen. This was just one of many such accommodation places and I don't think such an approach is restricted to those I knew about, or accom for that Uni in particular.

Sure, it means I'll have to be smarter about where I go to live. I moved city and just went where seemed good as I was down for the day, pretty much. I now know that getting a console online isn't a foregone conclusion for somewhere.

There are going to be many people moving in to such places next year, and over the following years. They'll all have to rely on the phone method for authentication and for that they'll need a phone capable of such.

That's what we do now. I haven't suddenly found what we now do to be such a pain.

Fair point, but you can't deny the convenience of it. Over the past couple of Xbox sales I've built up a library of digital games which don't require a disc. Its dead easy to switch from one game to another without moving. Plus no worries of discs being scratched or lost or broken.

I know some student places have fairly crappy internet. In my own experience I was stuck with UPC for 4 years :) which did a great job, but its not like students are unfamiliar with the concept of tethering, most 100 euro smart phones have that feature too and in fairness majority of students are well equipped with a decent smartphone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Rascasse wrote: »
    It doesn't for first party games, presumably as Sony are willing to accept the opportunity cost for the sake of getting the system out there, but after the best part of 10 years working for a US tech company I can assure you the 3rd party publishers will not allow half their market to trade on less favourable terms than the other half. It may be DRM/trade in restrictions, higher price or timed exclusives in favour of the XB1 (or something else), there will be something.

If the x1 market is nonexistent then they'll have no problem working with sonys "less favourable" terms :)

• Advertisement

Could he not also be retired? Given the fact that he is worth $15m+ ?

He could be, other than the fact that he says he is waiting for the right opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement