Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

I'll probably get the xbox one (at some point) but I just was assuming my xbox steering wheel would work. I was trying to find out about the compatibility with Xbox one and I can't see anything definitive on the web but does seems like it won't be supported as the new controllers use some newer wireless technology.

"only Xbox One controllers and accessories will work with the new console." Linky

After forking out for the console a new wheel on top would be a bit much! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Could he not also be retired? Given the fact that he is worth $15m+ ?

If he is worth that much it sort of makes a joke of his argument of the cost of making games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'll probably get the xbox one (at some point) but I just was assuming my xbox steering wheel would work. I was trying to find out about the compatibility with Xbox one and I can't see anything definitive on the web but does seems like it won't be supported as the new controllers use some newer wireless technology.

"only Xbox One controllers and accessories will work with the new console." Linky

After forking out for the console a new wheel on top would be a bit much! :mad:
    Apparantly the word is that the Xbox One controllers use Wifi Direct, which would be interesting as it would mean accessory free compatibility with a lot of PCs and Laptops and such

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

i just bought my new turtle beach headset
    will they work with the xbox one? does xbox one has usb ports basicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    i just bought my new turtle beach headset
    will they work with the xbox one? does xbox one has usb ports basicly?

The sound will work, but not sure about voice as the controller uses a proprietary input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The sound will work, but not sure about voice as the controller uses a proprietary input.
    Id imagine Turtle Beach will sell an adapter of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Meesared wrote: »
    Id imagine Turtle Beach will sell an adapter of some sort

great more money i didnt want to need to spend :L prob cost like 50quid for it as well more then the headsets worth haah

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Xbox One on Jimmy Fallon, pretty lame demo truth be told

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jimmy Fallon is very useful, when Killzone was announced for the PS4 many thought is was pre rendered and being passed off as gameplay but then Jimmy get's his hands on it and spends a good minute shooting at air vents and looking at his feet.

If I was a consumer who had no knowledge of Xbox one before that, and then watched that, I'd want to get it. They talked about some of the decent features and didn't talk about any of the bad stuff.
    Unfortunately I expect that a lot of people will buy it without knowing much about it.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I expect that a lot of people will buy it without knowing much about it.

Unfortunately why? If the tv features work well in Europe I will likely buy one some time in 2014.

Unfortunately why? If the tv features work well in Europe I will likely buy one some time in 2014.

Because there is too many restrictions that the mass market isn't going to know about until they buy it.
    MS should be forced to inform everybody about the restrictions Xbox One has as well as the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

the average consumer who doesnt know what DRM and all that ****e is, they will buy the ps4 because of the price difference

Because there is too many restrictions that the mass market isn't going to know about until they buy it.
    MS should be forced to inform everybody about the restrictions Xbox One has as well as the positives.

Did they not just do that at E3 hence the huge uproar ?
    Apple hardly write it in capital letters "This iphone will not work without itunes and you dont own a single mp3 you download from us" when they sell you the most popular piece of consumer electronics in history do they? The mass market doesnt care so long as it works and meets their needs.

Also just saw phil spencer is wearing a crackdown tshirt in that Jimmy Fallon video, thats hardly an accident? Possible Crackdown 3 hint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Apple hardly write it in capital letters "This iphone will not work without itunes and you dont own a single mp3 you download from us" when they sell you the most popular piece of consumer electronics in history do they? The mass market doesnt care so long as it works and meets their needs.

Also just saw phil spencer is wearing a crackdown tshirt in that Jimmy Fallon video, thats hardly an accident? Possible Crackdown 3 hint ?

My first thought exactly!

I think that video is the first chance I've gotten to get an Idea of the physical size of the console - its not as big as I thought I was. The kinect is massive though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Apple hardly write it in capital letters "This iphone will not work without itunes and you dont own a single mp3 you download from us"

Being pedantic, apple don't sell mp3s :D but that's not the main fact I'm about to state, the vast majority of the music catalogue sold through itunes is drm-free (I'm unsure if any of the catalogue still uses their archaic fairplay drm), you absolutely own the music you buy from itunes.

I'm also under the impression that itunes is no longer required to validate your iphone, so will work without it...may need to actually look that point up though.

Of course not. But the majority of console owners aren't expecting their require 24 hour checks, and limit what you can do with your games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Being pedantic, apple don't sell mp3s :D but that's not the main fact I'm about to state, the vast majority of the music catalogue sold through itunes is drm-free (I'm unsure if any of the catalogue still uses their archaic fairplay drm), you absolutely own the music you buy from itunes.

I'm also under the impression that itunes is no longer required to validate your iphone, so will work without it...may need to actually look that point up though.

This is all correct.

This post is appalling and almost completely and utterly wrong.
    • Itunes has DRM
    • You DO NOT own the music you download in itunes, you licence it
    Itunes terms and conditions say you licence the songs but do not own them. You cannot for example leave the music in a will nor resell it because you own a licence and not the physical copy.
    Also itunes is required to validate your phone upon purchase and for the first 400 million+ iphones you required itunes to basically do anything with the device, locking you into apples digital download service which is in itself a form of DRM. Your phone is also locked to a computer and you cannot sync it with any pc you like. This has been changed recently as you can download over wifi but for years you certainly couldnt. Also downloaded music cannot be shared and is DRM locked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/sep/03/do-you-own-your-digital-content
    http://www.npr.org/2012/09/04/160562390/hoping-to-pass-on-your-itunes-collection-good-luck

My point previously was at the end of the day no one gives a toss to be quite honest because iOS did what the mass market wanted and they were prepared to tether their phone to 1 pc and put up with only being able to buy from one supplier because the device was brilliant. If the Xbone has cool games and the tv/kinect feature is compelling enough the same will happen with this console im thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

iTunes has an option to burn a disc that you can do whatever the hell you want with, including lending to a friend or leaving in a will.

• Advertisement

iTunes has an option to burn a disc that you can do whatever the hell you want with, including lending to a friend or leaving in a will.

You cannot share the digital downloads with anyone you want or leave it in a will. Therefore its a form of DRM! Restricts your choice etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Now maybe I am wrong here, but is not the point of the online check to allow MS to see if the game is still Licensed to you ?????..
    I mean lets have a look at this .....

1: I buy a game....say Call of duty and Forza 5.....
    2: I install said games onto my xbox one.......
    3: I play the games without having to keep the disk in the drive......
    Brill....I can I suppose switch between games without having to insert the disks...

Now....

I then lend the game to my mate ( not part of my 10 selected family members )

He install game and plays....

So we both can play the game with only one disk been bought......

Who in there right mind would allow that......

They have to keep an eye on this some how.....

I will be getting an Xbox one as I have no issues with what they are asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

• Itunes has DRM
    Itunes terms and conditions say you licence the songs but do not own them. You cannot for example leave the music in a will nor resell it because you own a licence and not the physical copy.
    Also itunes is required to validate your phone upon purchase and for the first 400 million+ iphones you required itunes to basically do anything with the device, locking you into apples digital download service which is in itself a form of DRM. Your phone is also locked to a computer and you cannot sync it with any pc you like. This has been changed recently as you can download over wifi but for years you certainly couldnt. Also downloaded music cannot be shared and is DRM locked.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/sep/03/do-you-own-your-digital-content
    http://www.npr.org/2012/09/04/160562390/hoping-to-pass-on-your-itunes-collection-good-luck

My point previously was at the end of the day no one gives a toss to be quite honest because iOS did what the mass market wanted and they were prepared to tether their phone to 1 pc and put up with only being able to buy from one supplier because the device was brilliant. If the Xbone has cool games and the tv/kinect feature is compelling enough the same will happen with this console im thinking

This may have been true 6 years ago, but you can apsolutely buy and iPhone and work away without connecting to a PC or Mac as of IOS 6 as far as I know.

I've only purchased one song from itunes since they eased up their DRM policies and I listen to that track on my Android phone quite easily.

There is NO DRM !!

Can we get back on topic now and bash the Xbox One :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Possible Crackdown 3 hint ?

Crackdown 3 is on hold. MS are saying they are waiting for the right team to make it and the right time to release it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

beno619 wrote: »
    This may have been true 6 years ago, but you can apsolutely buy and iPhone and work away without connecting to a PC or Mac as of IOS 6 as far as I know.

I've only purchased one song from itunes since they eased up their DRM policies and I listen to that track on my Android phone quite easily.

There is NO DRM !!

Can we get back on topic now and bash the Xbox One :p

Indeed, they removed the DRM from iTunes, so that comparison has no basis any longer. However, that comparison was always strained, comparing a 4 minute €0.99(?) purchase to multihour €60 purchases is always going to be a bit of a stretch. Same as comparing purchasing a €60 game to purchasing a €20,000 car.

In short, I try not to use analogies.

On a side note, legally speaking, what can you do with the MP3s you purchase from itunes? I know the DRM is gone, but does that actually give you the right to loan it to a friend? I can't see how you could resell it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I agree, your post is pretty bad, and almost completely and utterly wrong :P
    • Itunes has DRM

That's no different to your "ownership" of the music contained on a cd. You own the cd, but not the content, that's "licensed" too. If your itunes music is on a HDD you most certainly can leave the HDD in a will, and as the itunes music does not use DRM that music can be played back by the person you have left it to.

The majority (if not all?) of the itunes music catalogue does not use "fairplay" DRM as Apple scrapped that a good 4 years ago.

As for the iphone, I wasn't sure in the first place whether itunes was required for activation or not and in light of the above quoted text I found it difficult to take your word as gospel, so I looked it up (i don't have an iphone, so what else could I do :P) and what I found confirmed what I had said earlier that itunes is not required to activate your iphone, and just to to be absolutely clear that means it does not require itunes to activate upon purchase or at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You cannot share the digital downloads with anyone you want or leave it in a will. Therefore its a form of DRM! Restricts your choice etc etc
    No but they incorporate an option to do what you want with them in disc form. Also, you are not forced to use music only bought on iTunes. I can borrow/download music somewhere else and rip it to my iTunes library.
    It's pointless comparing the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Now maybe I am wrong here, but is not the point of the online check to allow MS to see if the game is still Licensed to you ?????..

Brill....I can I suppose switch between games without having to insert the disks...

That would be fine if it was still possible to play those games offline without the check if you still had the disc handy... To my knowledge you can't, and that's where the issue comes in. It is not possible (legitimately) to operate the console without internet or Kinect, which shouldn't be the case.

Now....

Right...

There are numerous ways to get around this, for example, serial coding each game so that it can only be installed on one console at a time. The game would be require an internet connection to be installed on the console, but once it's installed, it can be played anywhere with or without an internet connection. Now this is still DRM (which I'm against), but it is a compromise for consumers who want to operate digitally and understand the desire of businesses to generate and maintain profits. The consumer can still operate the console and disc offline, and microsoft are still ensured that their game is not being played on 10 consoles. In this scenario, a maximum of two consoles can play the disc at one time. A much better compromise...

But that's not what this is about. Game lending and renting does not generate revenue for Microsoft and this is why they are installing these bull**** DRM features.

Now....

They have to keep an eye on this some how.....

I will be getting an Xbox one as I have no issues with what they are asking.

Nope. If you give that game to a friend it'll be deactivated from your console and it'll be his forever. He can't give it back, or trade it in or sell it to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Nope. If you give that game to a friend it'll be deactivated from your console and it'll be his forever. He can't give it back, or trade it in or sell it to anyone else.
    That has not been confirmed - it is assuming to be the case, based on Microsoft saying that a game can only be given once.
    Xbox Wire wrote:
    Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
    • This does not say that he cannot trade it in when he's finished with it
    • It also does not say that he can trade it in.
    • Do you get one 'Free Transfer' of the game?
    • It could also be interpreted to say that you can only give the game to your friend once - does that mean that you could give it to another friend once?

The problem with Microsoft's messaging for Xbox One is that they are leaving so much open to interpretation, and everyone has a different interpretation of the same thing and we all assume our interpretation is correct and report it as gospel - when we don't 100% know either. This leaves the community with more questions than answers...

Microsoft have much to clarify before the release of the console, but if it has outstanding games and user experience then I feel that many people will live with their DRM policies (as has been discussed before with iPad apps, etc.).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement