Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

That has not been confirmed - it is assuming to be the case, based on Microsoft saying that a game can only be given once.

• This does not say that he cannot trade it in when he's finished with it
    • It also does not say that he can trade it in.
    • Do you get one 'Free Transfer' of the game?
    • It could also be interpreted to say that you can only give the game to your friend once - does that mean that you could give it to another friend once?

The problem with Microsoft's messaging for Xbox One is that they are leaving so much open to interpretation, and everyone has a different interpretation of the same thing and we all assume our interpretation is correct and report it as gospel - when we don't 100% know either. This leaves the community with more questions than answers...

Microsoft have much to clarify before the release of the console, but if it has outstanding games and user experience then I feel that many people will live with their DRM policies (as has been discussed before with iPad apps, etc.).

Yes it has been conformed. Watch the Angry Joe interview with Major Nelson.
    He confirms that you have to be the original owner of the game to trade it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Here's the video just in case it hasn't already been posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yes it has been conformed. Watch the Angry Joe interview with Major Nelson.
    He confirms that you have to be the original owner of the game to trade it in.
    Thanks for that link (at about 5:50-6:05 in the video)

The "Not that I am aware of" answer given by Major Nelson is another example of Microsoft not giving a straight answer, as it could be something that changes and they say "We never said that you couldn't do that, just that we weren't aware of it at the time" - a proper "No" or "Yes" would be clearer.

Microsoft need to make up their minds on these things and communicate them clearly - and have everyone communicate the same message clearly. Hopefully they will go back to Redmond and have a good think about these questions and have mastered their messaging before Gamescom in Cologne (August) or TGS in September.

Because all this fuss about DRM is just taking away from some of the cool looking games that they have announced for the platform already (and third party games that are coming, too). Those are the things that will either bring people to the platform or encourage them to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Has anywhere done a decent review of the One with a non-USA view on it?
    What does the TV stuff have in store for the Ireland/UK/Europe?
    The level of interest in the NFL is zero, but if they could do something similar for the premier league or the champions league?

What about integration with sky or UPC?

There's lots of services that the US 360 has that we can't get here, so is this going to make the One even less relevant in Europe?
    Just an idea of what the US 360 has (here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

MiCr0 wrote: »
    The level of interest in the NFL is zero, but if they could do something similar for the premier league or the champions league?

There's lots of services that the US 360 has that we can't get here, so is this going to make the One even less relevant in Europe?
    Basically the answer to that is, no one outside of MS knows the answer to those questions, so no one has commented on them

• Advertisement

Meesared wrote: »
    Basically the answer to that is, no one outside of MS knows the answer to those questions, so no one has commented on them

Not sure anyone inside MS knows the answers either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Now maybe I am wrong here, but is not the point of the online check to allow MS to see if the game is still Licensed to you ?????..
    I mean lets have a look at this .....

1: I buy a game....say Call of duty and Forza 5.....
    2: I install said games onto my xbox one.......
    3: I play the games without having to keep the disk in the drive......
    Brill....I can I suppose switch between games without having to insert the disks...

Now....

I then lend the game to my mate ( not part of my 10 selected family members )

He install game and plays....

So we both can play the game with only one disk been bought......

Who in there right mind would allow that......

They have to keep an eye on this some how.....

I will be getting an Xbox one as I have no issues with what they are asking.

Our poor consumer rights will get a good raping this gen if people don't care and even welcome these unnecessary DRM restrictions.

Why should it be mandatory to have to install your game on your HDD? You only get 500GB (PS4 after OS has something close to 400GB, so imagine how much the X1's 3 OS's will take up. Even Microsoft said a "significant amount" is used in the T&C). Why can't it just play off the disc?
    The hard drive is non-upgradable so after that it's going to fill up in a flash with these big blu-ray games needed an external hard drive to be hooked up.

It's pointless and wasn't needed. In fact, every single bit of DRM has zero benefit at all -well I lie, it benefits MS hugely.
    It wasn't needed, it was only done out of greed to get the most money off you. Whatever benefit you think there is, really there isn't. That 10 friend system is very shady sounding, and it is, only one person can play the game at a time out of all of them which makes it all a bit redundant in the real world. My mates would tear lumps out of each other if they couldn't play when they wanted and had to wait for someone to finish like a rota between 10 people.
    They have to keep an eye on this some how.....
    Microsoft didn't have to keep an eye on anyone had they not have been so greedy. The PS4 doesn't have all these constant restrictions so there's no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

MiCr0 wrote: »

we wont get the NFL stuff in europe unless the NFL have sorted Europe licensing mess they have

As for Premier League/Champions league they're years behind and Sky have wrapped up most rights to them and no legal internet stream site exists

The Cable box connection thing wont work unless the digiboxes are changed to the correct hdmi type

Sky will have some kind of capability doubt UPC will though and if skys Xbone app is anything like the one on the 360 it will be quite buggy

Netflix is **** in the UK/Hulu wont be coming to europe

if youre buying the console for TV features prepare to be dissapointed as atm content seems quite limited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

NTMK wrote: »
    we wont get the NFL stuff in europe unless the NFL have sorted Europe licensing mess they have

As for Premier League/Champions league they're years behind and Sky have wrap up most rights to them and no legal internet stream site exists

The Cable box connection thing wont work unless the digiboxes are change to the correct hdmi type

Sky will have some kind of capability doubt UPC will though and if skys Xbone app is anything like the one on the 360 it will be quite buggy

Netflix is **** in the UK/Hulu wont be coming to europe

if youre buying the console for TV features prepare to be dissapointed as atm content seems quite limited

all i want is netflix and sky :D my sky hasnt bugged once yet :/ so i guess im lucky
    and i enjoy the ire/uk netflix :D then again id watch anything to be honest :pac:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    all i want is netflix and sky :D my sky hasnt bugged once yet :/ so i guess im lucky
    and i enjoy the ire/uk netflix :D then again id watch anything to be honest :pac:

I too got a lot of use out of the sky app but ive come across a few bugs its not bad though

ive already seen most of the ****e on UK netflix but i want US netflix dammit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

NTMK wrote: »
    I too got a lot of use out of the sky app but ive come across a few bugs its not bad though

ive already seen most of the ****e on UK netflix but i want US netflix dammit :(

Do you watch netflix on a console?
    Simply change the DNS in the settings and viola you have the US version. Takes 2 seconds and costs nothing. Ive been watching the US version since before Christmas, vastly superior

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Do you not need to pay for a US VPN to watch US netflix? I thought it was more than just DNS settings - you still need to fake a US IP address no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not allowed to talk about US DNS on here but suffice to say you don't need to pay any more than the sub price to watch US Netflix.

Do you watch netflix on a console?
    Simply change the DNS in the settings and viola you have the US version. Takes 2 seconds and costs nothing. Ive been watching the US version since before Christmas, vastly superior

I have been on 56-128kb/s from jun last year to march of this year so i havent been running netflix and since march i havent been watching much TV so i only subscribed to netflix to see the difference between UK and Ireland and really havent been arsed to mess around with settings to get into US netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Ryan451 wrote: »

Damn, if thats true things just got really interesting.
    Though they have stated multiple times that they wouldn't backpeddle, so I'm not believing anything until I see an official announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Link not working for me...

Basically saying Microsoft is set to reverse all DRM policies. No sources though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

If they cut it by 100 quid....things will get *very* interesting!

We might see a price or bundle war to sway customers either way.....good for us!

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    Basically saying Microsoft is set to reverse all DRM policies. No sources though

Jesus... I find it incredibly hard to see that happening...

Surely it'd be a catastrophic blow for MS to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Jesus... I find it incredibly hard to see that happening...

Surely it'd be a catastrophic blow for MS to do that?

How would it be a catastrophic blow to drop what has become a PR nightmare for them? They'll just say that they've listened to the feedback from their customers and engage in some positive spin. Much, much better than refusing to do a volte-face and handing the generation to Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

How would it be a catastrophic blow to drop what has become a PR nightmare for them? They'll just say that they've listened to the feedback from their customers and engage in some positive spin. Much, much better than refusing to do a volte-face and handing the generation to Sony.

They've already promised their shareholders, their bosses and their publishers money.

miralize wrote: »
    They've already promised their shareholders, their bosses and their publishers money.

I'd imagine that they're devastated that they might actually sell a significant number of consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

don't believe a word til I hear Don Matrick or Larry Hyrb say it, along with a grovelling apology.

don't believe a word til I hear Don Matrick or Larry Hyrb say it, along with a grovelling apology.

I won't. I find it hard to believe that they'll actually do the right thing.

Because it would show that they've been lying for the past few weeks, saying that these features are integral to what X1 is, and how if we don't like it, can't use it because of the restrictions, to buy the 360.

No DRM would also call into question a hell of a lot of the cloud features they've promised.

Plus, there's the whole aspect of whether you're going to trust MS to keep their word into the future, or will they do another U-Turn a year down the line when you've shelled out money for the console and lumber you with everything you didn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Looks like its official, see the top of this page about an announcement.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Because it would show that they've been lying for the past few weeks, saying that these features are integral to what X1 is, and how if we don't like it, can't use it because of the restrictions, to buy the 360.

No DRM would also call into question a hell of a lot of the cloud features they've promised.

So you think they should doggedly push ahead with a strategy that is looking absolutely ****ed, or do you think they should eat crow now and try and turn it around. They can always come out with some new BS excuse of how they re-engineered the platform.
    Plus, there's the whole aspect of whether you're going to trust MS to keep their word into the future, or will they do another U-Turn a year down the line when you've shelled out money for the console and lumber you with everything you didn't want.

Let's be realistic here, there isn't a company in the world who'd try and get away with that.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement