Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Yeah that definitely sucks, it was one of the best features.

Is this not just the multiple console thing? As it stands, and I assume will remain now, downloaded games can be available to all gamertags on one console and on all consoles for one gamertag. It's a fine system as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I've got to hand it to the Xbox fans, on the Xbox One subreddit most of them are pretty disappointed this happened because they lose their family sharing plan.
    At least they're sticking to their guns.

some of the butt hurt there is kinda wonderful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

NTMK wrote: »
    some of the butt hurt there is kinda wonderful though.

Does nobody use lube anymore ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

Well, I must give kudos to all of the fans that stuck to their guns about the xbox one and proved that used games and the freedom to do what ever you want with your disc is most important to them, also I must give kudos to Microsoft for putting their fans and their bottom line before the publishers and their investors, admittedly this as put me back on the fence as to I'd want a PS4 or the Xbox One as the 100 euro difference doesn't really bother me for now and if Kinect can be disabled from watching you during use. But I'd still consider it now whereas yesterday I was 100% PS4 now I'm back to the fence. I wonder is this the same for many others?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
    An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

Too little, too late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in some of the Microsoft board meetings over the last week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

No region restrictions. So I can pick up an xboxone in the states and play games I buy here.

http://msft.it/6011kIEL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

On the one hand, I'm absolutely delighted at this news because now there can be some proper discussion on the merits of both consoles, instead of the "I can swap ganes" donkey b**locks that's been bandied about since the reveals.

On the other hand I'm a little bummed that MS have backtracked, I genuinely still think they were taking a step all developers will have to take in the near future, though maybe yes there was other ways they could have, and still could, do it.

Above all else though, finally the pre orders can be judged just based on what people like the look of from a gaming and tech POV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Cienciano wrote: »
    Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in some of the Microsoft board meetings over the last week or 2.

if youve ever seen the episode of south park where mickey mouse kicks the **** out of the jonas brothers. replace mickey mouse with bill gates and the jonas brothers with Mattrick, Hryb, and spencer. thats what im imagining

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

niallon wrote: »
    On the one hand, I'm absolutely delighted at this news because now there can be some proper discussion on the merits of both consoles, instead of the "I can swap ganes" donkey b**locks that's been bandied about since the reveals.

It wasn't "donkey bóllocks" in fairness. It was a shíte system that very few people wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Orim wrote: »
    Is this not just the multiple console thing? As it stands, and I assume will remain now, downloaded games can be available to all gamertags on one console and on all consoles for one gamertag. It's a fine system as it stands.

Yes, everyone can use these games on that console and I still assume they stick with your gamertag if your logged in elsewhere (digital games only, otherwise bring the disc like on 360).

But the sharing of your games of up to 10 persons (separate xbox's) is now gone as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wow... Just wow...

Although embarrassing for MS, this was a necessary move to ensure survival against the PS4. Things have got interesting again... I'm still choosing the PS4 though!:D

I think this tweet does sum everything up well. I honestly think Microsoft doesn't have a very confidant and clear-cut direction with the X1 at the minute.
    It shows a lack of vision, planning and leadership to reveal the policy, double-down on it, say how great it is, then change it. That's all.

— Colin Moriarty (@notaxation) June 19, 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Confirmed new name also. Xbox 180

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sitec wrote: »
    Confirmed new name also. Xbox 180
    Brilliant!:)

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Yes, everyone can use these games on that console and I still assume they stick with your gamertag if your logged in elsewhere (digital games only, otherwise bring the disc like on 360).

But the sharing of your games of up to 10 persons (separate xbox's) is now gone as far as I know.

But they couldn't play them at the same time iirc. So it means that your games could only be used on 10 consoles really, whereas now your games (digital and disc) are available on as many consoles as possible. Although it's moot point now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Cienciano wrote: »
    It wasn't "donkey bóllocks" in fairness. It was a shíte system that very few people wanted.

It was. If someone didn't like the old policy, that's fine. They didn't have to hop into every forum where people wanted to discuss the console and whinge about how this and this is a reason the PS4 is better. It's not.

It may be, to those people, a reason why the XBOX ONE isn't good, but they don't by proxy make the PS4 better.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

But they couldn't play them at the same time iirc. So it means that your games could only be used on 10 consoles really, whereas now your games (digital and disc) are available on as many consoles as possible. Although it's moot point now anyway.

Yeah I agree with you, was just a neat feature to not have to give the game or travel to someone to lend them a game if they wanted to try it out.

I expected some policies to change but everything has changed now to match the PS4, its even region free now as well which is handy indeed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just heard the news. What a bunch of absolute muppets. Whoever really pushed for all this crap should be sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Kevtherev wrote: »
    No region restrictions. So I can pick up an xboxone in the states and play games I buy here.

http://msft.it/6011kIEL

Yes...but its also been renamed the Xbox 180 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

They must have seen the pre-order numbers. Still won't be buying one any time soon

Just heard the news. What a bunch of absolute muppets. Whoever really pushed for all this crap should be sacked.

I've always said that high-up executives are paid far too much while not having a clue what's actually going on with their business. I never thought I'd proven so spectacularly right.

What it shows is that all these restrictions are simply software based and can be changed very easily by an update. So they can surely change this Kinect bs as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Does this change anyone's mind based on this news? Who would want to buy this with that f-ing around going on! Never a good thing to do business wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Great. Wasn't going near the thing out of principal, now I just might be playing Forza 5 over the holiday season!:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

niallon wrote: »
    It was. If someone didn't like the old policy, that's fine. They didn't have to hop into every forum where people wanted to discuss the console and whinge about how this and this is a reason the PS4 is better. It's not.

It may be, to those people, a reason why the XBOX ONE isn't good, but they don't by proxy make the PS4 better.

It was a massive con for many..as this uturn undeniably confirms. As it was a con, a negative aspect, how can you claim it was donkey bollox :P seems kind of ridiculous to ignore such an issue just because a minority didn't consider it a con...thank fck people did speak up, now the PS4 is a little bit less better :cool:

I've always said that high-up executives are paid far too much while not having a clue what's actually going on with their business. I never thought I'd proven so spectacularly right.

The high up execs wall themselves off out of fear one of the underlings will usurp them, they drop the lower down execs. in the sh*t to take the fall if something messes up.

they are the worst kind of cuthroat people.

madcabbage wrote: »
    Does this change anyone's mind based on this news? Who would want to buy this with that f-ing around going on! Never a good thing to do business wise.

Well it sums up that they were being arrogant assholes that tried to have it all their own way. I'd say good enough for them that they got knocked down and their shit wasn't tolerated, and I hope this goes to keep them grounded and remember it's the consumer who got them to where they are, so don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I think this will win people back but I think they have done themselves a lot of short-term damage because it exposes their original business model, and that wasn't in the interest of the consumer and they didn't give a fuck basically.

Me personally though, no, they haven't won me back and I'll explain why; I really liked the 360 at the start and thought it was a great console, but then the attitude drifted to kinect and all that casual stuff and proper gaming was an afterthought. The exclusive games then just seemed to dry up.

PS3 was slow to start but it delivered in a massive way in games, all the while being far more consistent. The 360 just rehashed the same thing year in, year out.

I'm sticking with PS4 for next gen because I know Sony will deliver the games constantly and will always about them as that is their focus. X1 on the other hand doesn't know what it is. It's a cable/casual box with some very good games, but basing things on game studios, I don't think they can tackle Sony on the gaming side of things nearly enough to compensate for the kinect/casual focus, especially as Microsoft seem to have the US as their main audience with the rest of the world being an afterthought.

That's my view on it anyway. I also can't afford both and seeing as they are similar enough, I'm banking on the PS4 and it's big exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yes...but its also been renamed the Xbox 180 ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA COZ THEY ARE GOING BACK ON DER DECISIONS

XBOX 180 MICROSOFT ! SUCK IT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'm a bit disappointed at the loss of the family sharing and ability to play without the disk in the drive and digital downloads going back to totally locked down, I couldn't have cared less about the used game stuff and online stuff.

Just have to hope some of the stuff can be reintroduced in the future.
    Looks like its going to be a pretty stagnant next gen now.
    I'm actually somewhat less enthused about the one now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement