Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop wont boot from CD

Options
  • 06-02-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Trying to install VMWare ESXi onto my laptop via CD. I have already downloaded the ESXi image onto a disk and planning to execute the programme of a USB stick so my laptop OS wont be wiped. But the thing is my laptop wont boot from CD. I have already changed the order on CD to boot first and also went into the boot settings to physically choose CD to boot but still with no result. My laptop just keeps booting the HD. Anyone got any suggestions??

The only problem I can possibly think of is unzipping the image and burn the unzipped image onto a new disk or should I leave it as it is, as an .iso image? Or else I didnt burn the .iso image onto the disk correctly?

Any help or suggestions would be of massive help. Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The CD needs to be bootable, a iso file contains the boot code needed to boot off the CD, you can burn the iso with something like ImgBurn (untick the toolbar install during the installation.) and it will then boot off no problems..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

infra recoreder is good also to burn an iso image

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭x00065954

How do I know if the disk is bootable or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

have you the link to your download?

if it is an iso it should be bootable as yoyo said "an iso file contains the boot code needed to boot off the CD"

if it is an iso image imgburn or infrarecorder will recognise the file when you are selecting the file to burn ....

only time you will need to unzip it is if it is in a compressed folder or something similar . if it is a .iso file it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭x00065954

Cheers lads. Got it working. I used yoyo's recommendation ImgBurn and worked fine. Thanks lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement