Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster Board fixing for 50mm board??

• 06-02-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hello,

I went to put up a curtain pole today for the in laws and i discovered that it was drylined and a 50mm board used, no wooden fixing for screw behind slab. Basically is there a fixing out there that you can out into the concrete wall through the 50mm board that will have a secure fix and not crack the board with the weight of the curtain. many the curtain pole i put up but this is the first with insulated board, anything out there on the market or any ideas

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes pick up some 80mm long frame fixings, get them in a builders providers, they are very cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ta-da.:D

My post....(with pics)....on how to fit a curtain pole to 50 and 80mm insulated slab.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80870473&postcount=11

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

paddy147 wrote: »
    My post....(with pics)....on how to fit a curtain pole to 50 and 80mm insulated slab.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80870473&postcount=11

Cheers for that, i have used them so many times before and never thought of them. i feel abit daft now. in your opinion would it be ok to fit all curtain poles on insulated board with these or would a timber screwed to the wall be a better job. only asking as i myself will be slabbing my own place shorty

cheers again guys

oldhead wrote: »
    Cheers for that, i have used them so many times before and never thought of them. i feel abit daft now. in your opinion would it be ok to fit all curtain poles on insulated board with these or would a timber screwed to the wall be a better job. only asking as i myself will be slabbing my own place shorty

cheers again guys

either or.....you can fit a piece of wood and paint it the same colour and screw the pole into the wooden sheet with wood screws.

I just went straight into the insulated slab and concrete wall with the frame fixers.

Ive no intentions of changing curtain poles anytime soon.:pac:

Also did it with a large flat screen TV...worked a treat this way.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

paddy147 wrote: »
    either or.....you can fit a piece of wood and paint it the same colour and screw the pole into the wooden sheet with wood screws.

I just went straight into the insulated slab and concrete wall with the frame fixers.

Ive no intentions of changing curtain poles anytime soon.:pac:

Also did it with a large flat screen TV...worked a treat this way.:)

cheers paddy, i meant screwing a piece of timber to the wall, then cut off your insulation off the rear of the slab and fit it over the piece of timber screwed to the wall so when you screw through the slab you will screw into timber, but then you losing your insulation i guess

oldhead wrote: »
    cheers paddy, i meant screwing a piece of timber to the wall, then cut off your insulation off the rear of the slab and fit it over the piece of timber screwed to the wall so when you screw through the slab you will screw into timber, but then you losing your insulation i guess

Yep I suppose you could do that...but you would need to be 110% bang on with your wood cuts,wood placement and cutting out the insulation and fitting it...so that you dont lose insulation and get gaps and cold spots.

If it were personally....I would just drill/screw the curtain pole brackets right through the insulated slab into the concrete/brickwork behind with the frame fixers....less messing around and easier/quicker job...less insulation loss too.

Advertisement