Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish gun licenses and good starter guns

Options
  • 06-02-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi , I looked in the sticky threads and the one on getting a license in ireland is missing so ive few questions id like to ask. whats the run down on getting a license? e.g minimum age, max calibre , types of guns, conditions , costs , and the process and availability of firearm licenses
    Also , if its possible , I would like a rifle as my first gun preferable with some sort of scope. .22 keeps popping up and i think i heard thats the max for a first gun or something like that . could you point me towards some reliable cheap guns. i've seen single barrel rifles on TV and im wondering if these are used at all and if they even exist. really im just looking for a cheap and reliable gun and accurate if its possible to have all this in one gun. and finally what is the price difference in shotguns and rifles?
    I'd appreciate the help Thanks.

p.s would be cool to get a WW2 kar98 or moisin nagant but thats call of duty for ya.
    i really have no idea about the real gun except they fire a rather large round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What do you intend using the gun for? That will help you decide between shotgun and a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

well at first , target shooting then i may move onto hunting but arent both guns suitable for these things? the reason i mentioned the rifle is because i would prefer long range with and optic of some sort and low recoil and cheaper ammunition , not even if sure if that statement is true but that is the impression i have of rifles

If you want to target shoot you'll have to join a range, ya can't just fire at a target in a random field.

A .22lr is the perfect starter gun especially if you want to shoot targets and gives you a bigger choice of ranges because not many ranges in Ireland can accomodate the bigger calibres.

would a .22 lr be suitable for hunting??
    and are you serious that you cant shoot targets on your own property?

lb1997 wrote: »
    would a .22 lr be suitable for hunting??
    and are you serious that you cant shoot targets on your own property?

Yeah you could shoot rabbits with it and a fox if it was pretty close, nothing bigger than that.

No you can't, if it was allowed you'd get a few dickheads firing at cans on fence posts and walls with no backstop.

• Advertisement

ok i understand, well then what about hunting? do you need to joina club for that?

ok i understand, well then what about hunting? do you need to joina club for that?

You can join a gun club if you have one near you or get permission from 2 or so farmers to shoot on their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

the same idiots who do stupid things like that are'nt going to care about the law.

Blay wrote: »
    You can join a gun club if you have one near you or get permission from 2 or so farmers to shoot on their land.

thats what i dont get. you can shoot animals outside of a club but you cant shoot targets. doesnt that seem like gateway for people to shoot targets illegaly anyway?
    and wouldnt hunting be more of a risk since the targets will move and since there will be much fewer targets you will panic more and forget about whats behind you shots?
    edit: what about hunting birds ?

thats what i dont get. you can shoot animals outside of a club but you cant shoot targets. doesnt that seem like gateway for people to shoot targets illegaly anyway?
    and wouldnt hunting be more of a risk since the targets will move and since there will be much fewer targets you will panic more and forget about whats behind you shots?

People do target shoot illegally but as Juice said the type of person who would shoot a can off a fence post with no backstop will do it no matter what the law says, ya can't stop those type of people.

Well if you're using a .22 rifle you wouldn't be firing at a running rabbit and you should never panic and 'forget' what's behind the target, if you don't know you don't pull the trigger. You're holding the power of life and death in your hands, if the rabbit gets away..fcuk it you'll get another one but if you fire without a backstop into a hedge and kill someone in the next field over you'll never get a chance to take that back.

You can shoot some vermin birds with a rifle, but not game birds like pheasent etc.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    People do target shoot illegally but as Juice said people like that will do it no matter what the law says.

Well if you're using a .22 rifle you wouldn't be firing at a running rabbit and you should never panic and 'forget' what's behind the target, if you don't know you don't pull the trigger. You're holding the power of life and death in your hands, if the rabbit gets away..fcuk it you'll get anotherone but if you fire without a backstop into a hedge and kill someone in the next field over you'll never get a chance to take that back.

yeah i can see i have an amateur's view of guns , in my mind there a toy and i have to learn there a weapon. would you recommend joining a gun club? i have zero experience and need to learn gun safety and the techniques of effective shooting.

yeah i can see i have an amateur's view of guns , in my mind there a toy and i have to learn there a weapon. would you recommend joining a gun club? i have zero experience and need to learn gun safety and the techniques of effective shooting.

Well you'll have to change that view, safety is a mindset and its the most important thing you'll ever learn about firearms. If you have a local gun club then consider joining it, you'll have to do a safety/competency course to get your licence anyway.

on that note could you give me more information on obtaining a license? that is if you have that information.
    ''e.g minimum age, max calibre , types of guns, conditions , costs , and the process and availability of firearm licenses''

on that note could you give me more information on obtaining a license? that is if you have that information.
    ''e.g minimum age, max calibre , types of guns, conditions , costs , and the process and availability of firearm licenses''

Min age for a training licence is 14, you can get your own one at 16.

Technically speaking you can own any calibre and any make and model of firearm but you have to give an adequate reason for it that your superintendent will accept.

-You'll have to do a safety/competency course as I said and meet the security requirements...if you're getting a rifle you'll need a safe.
    -You'll need to join a range, gun club or get permission from some farmers to use their land.
    -When you're buying your rifle you leave a deposit with the firearms dealer and he'll give you a receipt for it.

Then you fill out an FCA1 form that you can get from the Garda website, you include the paperwork for;

-Your land permission or gun club membership,

-Evidence that you've done a safety course,

-The receipt for your rifle and a receipt for your safe would help too if you have one.

Plus some other bits like a photo etc. then you hand it in, wait for a number of weeks/months. Then you'll get a letter, you take that to the post office, pay €80, you'll get you licence in the post, bring it to the dealers and you can pay the balance on your gun and collect it.

by land permission can that be your own land??? or what about joining a club without a gun?
    and how would you show reciept of rifle if you dont have license to buy one? or do you not need a license to buy onr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hi , I looked in the sticky threads and the one on getting a license in ireland is missing.........

Big Red announcement at the top of the main shooting forum.

Scroll down a little and in big bold letters you get "how to license a firearm in Ireland updated for 2009. Which leads you to this full explanation including pictures of the FCA1 you need to fill out.

It also covers security requirements, and other legal requirements.

Alternatively under the sticky "Firearms licensing information - Please read before asking about firearms licensing" in the main shooting page the same info is contained. It also shows the commissoner's guidelines which outlines the practical application of the firearms act, age, guns, etc.

If you cannot find these a search with "age limit" brings back 100 results including threads on the legal age to own a gun, questions on firearms, calibers, advice on firearms, and meetings with firearms officer, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

by land permission can that be your own land??? or what about joining a club without a gun?
    and how would you show reciept of rifle if you dont have license to buy one? or do you not need a license to buy onr

If the super thinks you own enough land to warrant getting a gun then you can hunt on your own land but you might need your own land plus permission from another farmer just to be sure. You can join a gun club without a gun, then apply for one.

You leave a deposit with a dealer on a gun then he'll give you an invoice stating you've left a deposit on the gun, that's what you hand in with your application.

Information from another post. Relevant enough.
    When it comes to starting of the first caliber recommended is always a .22lr rifle. The reason for this is the rifle, setup, gear, ammo, etc is cheap to buy, and easy to maintain/run.

The limitations with a .22lr are range, and effectiveness on larger game. However if you have no experience with a rifle then i would not suggest jumping into a centrefire rifle. The differnce betwen a rimfire, and centrefire is based on the make up of the round used. See the picture below;
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-59xVtAxq-X8Po0nkwdkF4S3ga56MlMZCzF7bigNmSqcj8T84eg

The round to the left being the rimfire meaning once the bottom/rim of the cartridge is struck by the firing pin the round is discharged. On a centrefire the primer (no 4 on right picture) must be struck which ignites the powder and fires the bullet.

Most rimfires have a range of between 0 - 125 yards, effective range. Centrefire rifles, depending on shooter ability have mush greater effective ranges, and hence need ALOT more experience to handle. Apart from the firearm you need to be aware of your environment, backstop (where the bullet will finish) shot placement, etc. Its not quite as easy as point and pull the trigger.

The best selling and most popular starter rifle is the CZ .22lr.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-P3yQ9V4wFljLW6gIzx3dQPbvb6_qU8sW7DkMWYYGXW2uBmMn

Th setup above would cost, depending on scope choice, about €800 new or between €300 - €550 second hand. There are a fantastic gun, and if you asked i would say about 70% of rifle shooter either had one or have one.

To find out which rifle you want or more importantly which suits your intended purpose then i would suggest visiting a few rifle ranges, and seeing what others are using, and what they have, use it for, how it works, how effective it is, cost, etc. Most ranges would welcome you, and freely show you around. Simply ring before travleing as some ranges need prior notification before you can turn up.

Once you have your fireamr chosen, know what you want you go to a dealers. You should always go to as many as possible, and never buy in the first shop even if the price seems too good to be true. once you have a gn picked in a dealer you trust i always recommend asking someone with experience to come view it, and gie you advice on the price you are paying and the deal you are getting. Too many people just pay whats asked, and find out after they could have done better, or gotten it cheaper elsewhere.

With regards to the license, and getting one. Your previous experience with a shotgun will be a plus, but you may find you have to do a comptency course to obtain a rifle license. This process is described here and here.

Once you have the course done, if necessary, you need to apply for the license and send in your course cert. If you intend on hunting you need permission letters from land owners/farmers to say you have their permission to shoot on their land. If you want it for range work then you need to be a member of an authorised range. All the details for , about and how to fill in the FCA1 is here. Also have a read of the seciurity requirements. A safe is mandatory for a rifle, and as you have a shotgun you might fulfill the safety requirements already.

In relation to buying form a member on boards or anyone privately. Its no different to buying of a dealer realy bar one or two things. Have a read of this thread to get a rough idea.

i think i've covered most of the basics. TBH its a lot of info, and the red announcement a the top of the main shooting forum holds pretty much all the info you would need.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Big Red announcement at the top of the main shooting forum.

Scroll down a little and in big bold letters you get "how to license a firearm in Ireland updated for 2009. Which leads you to this full explanation including pictures of the FCA1 you need to fill out.

It also covers security requirements, and other legal requirements.

Alternatively under the sticky "Firearms licensing information - Please read before asking about firearms licensing" in the main shooting page the same info is contained. It also shows the commissoner's guidelines which outlines the practical application of the firearms act, age, guns, etc.

If you cannot find these a search with "age limit" brings back 100 results including threads on the legal age to own a gun, questions on firearms, calibers, advice on firearms, and meetings with firearms officer, etc.

yeah thanks but i was looking for help on what gun more than the license and i felt i might aswell ask about licenses while im at it. and i tryed navigating through all those threada dn stuff and i failed to find what i was looking for and when i did find it it was marked as lost

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I don't want to sound like an old fart, but you should get the idea of a firearm being a "weapon" out of your head. It's only a weapon when you use it to deliberatey harm another person. They are also as far from "toys" as you could possibly get. Try to meet up with someone who shoots and go out with them for a couple of sessions to get a feel for it and then sort yourself out for your own firearm. I'm not having a dig at you but when you have jumped through the amount of hoops as most of us here have you will understand. Best of luck with it, and when you get sorted, if you are ever out wesht,PM me and you will be welcome to come out
    for a few bunnies. Good luck and happy hunting .
    LR

• Advertisement

Longranger wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like an old fart, but you should get the idea of a firearm being a "weapon" out of your head. It's only a weapon when you use it to deliberatey harm another person. They are also as far from "toys" as you could possibly get. Try to meet up with someone who shoots and go out with them for a couple of sessions to get a feel for it and then sort yourself out for your own firearm. I'm not having a dig at you but when you have jumped through the amount of hoops as most of us here have you will understand. Best of luck with it, and when you get sorted, if you are ever out wesht,PM me and you will be welcome to come out
    for a few bunnies. Good luck and happy hunting .
    LR[/QU

isnt that exaclty what i said in that post????
    that i have to learn it ISNT a toy??
    and Im a 100% sure a gun IS a weapon, you dont have to use it harm some one for it to be a weapon.

Thanks everyone for the help! greatly appreciated

yeah thanks but i was looking for help on what gun more than the license ..............
    Opening line of your first post;
    Hi , I looked in the sticky threads and the one on getting a license in ireland is missing so ive few questions id like to ask. whats the run down on getting a license?
    Followed by the same a few posts later;
    hence my reason for explaining where to find the information.
    and Im a 100% sure a gun IS a weapon, you dont have to use it harm some one for it to be a weapon.
    On this forum it's a firearm. Not a weapon.

and a firearm is a weapon. i just mean it in a broad way, beacause a gun is a weapon but also a firearm.
    and sorry about that rant on the license, i thought you were mocking me when you posted that information. I had a look for the information i wanted in the stickies, failed to find any, then decided to ask on a thread since i've never done it before .

and a firearm is a weapon.

If you go to join a gun club/range or talk to a farmer about using their land or talk to a firearms dealer do not call it a weapon because you'll be shown the door. Take advice from people who own firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Are the knifes in your kitchen weapons, what about a golf club? No they are not but can be used as such they are tools just like a firearm is a tool either designed for target shooting or hunting.

juice1304 wrote: »
    Are the knifes in your kitchen weapons, what about a golf club? No they are not but can be used as such they are tools just like a firearm is a tool either designed for target shooting or hunting.

well technically a golf club and a kitchen knife can be used as a weapon.
    I wasnt specific rnough in what i said, it was just a statement that was worded incorrectly why am i being attcked for it?

and a firearm is a weapon. i just mean it in a broad way, beacause a gun is a weapon but also a firearm.
    In another forum, in other usage - yes. Not here though.
    .......... and sorry about that rant on the license, i thought you were mocking me when you posted that information. I had a look for the information i wanted in the stickies, failed to find any, then decided to ask on a thread since i've never done it before .
    Not mocking. I simply linked to all the threads, stickies, etc that contained the information you wanted.
    well technically a golf club and a kitchen knife can be used as a weapon.
    As can a car, hurl, etc.

This debate has come up dozens of times before so to prevent this thread getting derailed by it lets leave it at this. A weapon has a specific purpose, and when used conjures negative images. This is not the intended use for our firearms so we refer to them as firearms.

So lets get back on topic, and forget this, because if not it will drag out and the original purpose of your thread will be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's because the license to own such an item is called a Firearms Certificate, not a 'weapons certificate'.

And it's why ALL the documentation on applying for a firearm of any kind uses the term 'firearm' and not 'weapon'.

The military have 'weapons' and use them to shoot at other people who also have 'weapons'. We are civilians, and we have 'firearms'. Simple.

tac

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    In another forum, in other usage - yes. Not here though.

Not mocking. I simply linked to all the threads, stickies, etc that contained the information you wanted.

As can a car, hurl, etc.

This debate has come up dozens of times before so to prevent this thread getting derailed by it lets leave it at this. A weapon has a specific purpose, and when used conjures negative images. This is not the intended use for our firearms so we refer to them as firearms.

So lets get back on topic, and forget this, because if not it will drag out and the original purpose of your thread will be lost.

ok im sorry to you all but im a 16 year old kid thats never even seen a ''firearm'' fired before ( I dont know how you thought I have a shotgun?) I have no clue on ''firearm'' safety or laws . rules or the terms you use thats no reason to contradict a mistake make, I know this is no topic for a childd but i needed some guidance so i can change my view of 'firearms' and realise a ''firearm'' isnt a weapon . i now have sufficient knowledge to get started. in a years time i will hopefully have some experience and a ''firearm'' of my own and i will be able to help beginners with their ''firearm'' questions

Advertisement