Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish gun licenses and good starter guns

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

lb1997 wrote: »
    ok im sorry to you all but im a 16 year old kid thats never even seen a ''firearm'' fired before...........
    That helps provide an answer.
    ( I dont know how you thought I have a shotgun?)
    Ah. That is my fault. Previous post edited.
    I have no clue on ''firearm'' safety or laws . rules or the terms you use thats no reason to contradict a mistake make, I know this is no topic for a childd but i needed some guidance so i can change my view of 'firearms' and realise a ''firearm'' isnt a weapon .
    Then without being a dick, perhaps it would be better to listen than argue every point. We only tell you what we have to try and inform you from the start. Prevent you making mistakes we have made.
    i now have sufficient knowledge to get started. in a years time i will hopefully have some experience and a ''firearm'' of my own and i will be able to help beginners with their ''firearm'' questions
    That s the cycle. If you take every correction as personal then you are going to be in for a rough, and long journey. Some people are not so "polite", and will call you out on the smallest of imperfections in both speech, and most definitely actions.

My advice is to ask questions, listen, ask for explanations if not clear, then take what you need from what you are told.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Calling a Firearm a "weapon" to the majority of irish people involved in the sport is the equivalent to scraping your nails down a blackboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

well said, im just used to mellow enviroment of sites like yahoo answers where there is so many people who talk complete **** to each other ,nobody has any asnwers there all just guessing , nobody knows who is right or wrong and and adverts.ie where any reasonable offer is sure to be a timewaster and the serious offers are always too low.
    . I just need some more time to get used to forums like this cos you guys are all so strict haha

............ people who talk complete **** to each other ,
    You'll get some of that too. :D
    ......... nobody has any asnwers there all just guessing , nobody knows who is right or wrong .........
    It is a discussion forum, and topics are always open for debate. However as a dedicated shooting forum we do not deal with anything outside of shooting. In some subjects there will be right or wrong answers and in others it's a point of view debate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    You'll get some of that too. :D

It is a discussion forum, and topics are always open for debate. However as a dedicated shooting forum we do not deal with anything outside of shooting. In some subjects there will be right or wrong answers and in others it's a point of view debate.

sorry I done it again! I mean yahoo is terrible because of that awful point system they use , it just turns into game for some people and dont give a **** about the questioners

• Advertisement

flanum wrote: »
    Calling a Firearm a "weapon" to the majority of irish people involved in the sport is the equivalent to scraping your nails down a blackboard!

i guess i learned the hard way, but i understand how it can be insulting

sorry I done it again!
    It's okay. I know what you meant. I was referring to here, not implying that you were.

My poor, poor attempt at wit.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

Cass wrote: »
    It's okay. I know what you meant. I was referring to here, not implying that you were.

My poor, poor attempt at wit.

[SIZE="1"]I'll get my coat.[/SIZE]

Hahahahahaha!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

well youve definitely learned a couple of things just by following this forum, seriously try to hook up with a local guy to your area that would be willing to bring you out for an introduction to basic firearms handling/shooting... also dont forget you are not licenced to actually use another persons firearm but you can accompany them and watch,listen,look and learn... your on a steep learning curve here but you seem to have started at the right end at least! good luck and keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

On the subject of shooting vermin birds just to point out to the lad is never under any circumstance shoot any bird with a rifle in the air
    Bullets travel and god knows when it'll land and what it hits so don't even shoot in the air or if there is no backdrop
    Don't ever assume no one else is around the area either hunting or just walking
    And when saying firearm lose the quotation marks " "
    They are firearms and not weapons and not a joke
    I said it before and got a bolloking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭alsace royal

Blay wrote: »
    Well you'll have to change that view, safety is a mindset and its the most important thing you'll ever learn about firearms. If you have a local gun club then consider joining it, you'll have to do a safety/competency course to get your licence anyway.

not trying to hi-jack here just a quick question on the safety/competency course? i havent bought or changed any of my guns in 10 years but recently applyed for a .22lr cz brno. was i suppost to do this course? i tought it was just for larger calibers and deer lisence applications? em i was 16 when i bought my first u/o and there was nothing like it, sorry if it seems a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

i guess i learned the hard way, but i understand how it can be insulting

Not necessarily insulting, just ill-informed. In just the same way as you have to learn the 'language' of a sport like sailing or horse-riding, so it is with shooting.

However, it's as well to realise as early as possible that if WE make a mistake, then innocent people might die from it - guns are VERY good at having a total intolerance to eejits.

I was very lucky, my dad introduced me to shooting at age six, and never let me be in any doubt that although it was great fun, it was also fun that had tremendous responsibilities going along with it, as well as respect for other humans and the live game that we eventually took with our sporting firearms, in the case of those who follow that aspect of the shooting sports.

As Cass notes, here is the place to learn the language and lore of guns and shooting, so that you don't make a total plawk of yourself when you get to talking with others who might be older and better-informed than you are.

Join a club/range without delay, to get things started - I'd been shooting ten years by your age!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

not trying to hi-jack here just a quick question on the safety/competency course? i havent bought or changed any of my guns in 10 years but recently applyed for a .22lr cz brno. was i suppost to do this course? i tought it was just for larger calibers and deer lisence applications? em i was 16 when i bought my first u/o and there was nothing like it, sorry if it seems a stupid question.

No if you currently hold or have held a licence before you don't need to do t:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr.Woodcock

Well lad just wondering where your based, i.e near Dublin, or the midlands, etc, you can go to a place like courtlough or hilltop(not sure if hilltop do competence courses, can any one fill me in on that?) and that will give you the opportunity to fire a rifle and give you a feel for it, there's no point jumping feet first and spending money for something you might find isn't for you, for example I gave fly fishing lessons to people before who came along with 500 or 600 euros with of gear that probably hasn't seen the light of day in years, shooting ranges like courtlough give you the opportunity to give it a go, in safe environment, remember safety is the key to being a responsible firearm owner! And while your at a place like that you can view firearms for sale, find out the cost etc, hopefully this will point you in the right direction!

Yeah Hilltop do NRA courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

I just recently went through the process of buying a rifle and the advise I got here really helped me make the right decision. Personally if you have never used a gun before then you would be better of joining a club then going down the route of getting 2 landowners signatures. Clubs will let you join if you do not have a firearm and will give you proper training and advice you need. As said previously a CZ in 22lr is a good starter rifle. It is also called a Brno due to Brno being bought by CZ the rifle then became the CZ. This is something that confused me at one stage. There are a number of really good clubs around Ireland so it really is down to location for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

my 2pence worth is buy a shotgun first , much safer and better crack than a rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

get yourself a 22LR CZ scout nice little gun looks small but nice balance bolt action accurate a lot easier to clean than a semi auto for a starter. nice little gun for plinking target and rabbits not too expensive either

hi again , just had look at some air rifles / pellet guns. would it be easier to obtain a license for one of these instead of a shotgun/rifle?

It's the same process for all licences so an air rifle wouldn't be any easier especially if it's your first licence.

• Advertisement

but what about the gun club you must join and the safety course you must complete with a real gun? is there safety courses for airguns and do gun clubs allow airguns?

but what about the gun club you must join and the safety course you must complete with a real gun? is there safety courses for airguns and do gun clubs allow airguns?

An air rifle is a 'real gun', they have to be carried, stored and used with just as much care as any other firearm. Don't be caught out underestimating them...making that mistake with any firearm is dangerous.

If you do a rifle safety course it will be applicable to all rifles, you don't need to do any specific air rifle course.

An air rifle is a 'real gun', they have to be carried, stored and used with just as much care as any other firearm. Don't be caught out underestimating them...making that mistake with any firearm is dangerous.

If you do a rifle safety course it will be applicable to all rifles, you don't need to do any specific air rifle course.

ok I understand, Do you know any brands of air rifle that make the best guns?

Btw i've settled on gettin a spring powered rifle
    and i've decided on gettin .177 from my small amount of knowledge atm

ok I understand, Do you know any brands of air rifle that make the best guns?

Btw i've settled on gettin a spring powered rifle

Sort out a club to join or land to shoot on before you decide on any gun.

Sort out a club to join or land to shoot on before you decide on any gun.

I havent decided if im getting an air rifle or a .22 lr rifle yet because i want to find out the price difference in the 2 and the different attributes between the 2
    when i find a good gun that suits me i will join a club and aim to get a gun as similar to that as possible when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

If you visit a club near you they will tour you around and show you different types of shooting etc. This is the best way to go.

nastros wrote: »
    If you visit a club near you they will tour you around and show you different types of shooting etc. This is the best way to go.

well my local club i sorta just a group of men who meet up now and again with their guns so i doubt they would be much help

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

well my local club i sorta just a group of men who meet up now and again with their guns so i doubt they would be much help

google the closest gun range to you they have safety courses and usually have a dealer on site that can advise you of the correct firearm for what you want to do the national shooting center in tullamore is good

On the subject of shooting vermin birds just to point out to the lad is never under any circumstance shoot any bird with a rifle in the air

100% agree with this - as does any safety-conscious shooter of a rifled firearm as opposed to a shotgun, in what might seem to be open and clear land. After 200-300m a shotgun pellet is no longer dangerous, although it WILL sting [trust me there].

Bullets travel and god knows when it'll land and what it hits so don't even shoot in the air or if there is no backdrop

Again, trust me on this one, there WILL eventually be a backstop. And it might just be 'Mrs O'Toole' waiting for a bus.

tac

• Advertisement

Take all the advice that you have been given here - as a total beginner you NEED to join a formal club that can offer you all the legally-required facilities and documented testing.

After you've done all of that, you can join the lads in your shooting group, and they will know that you've 'done it right' from the very start.

As a target shooter in an old and historic gun club, we have guest days where people can bring their friends, SO and colleagues along so that they can see what our part of shooting sports is all about. These one-day visitors are just fine - they are 100% mentored all the day long on a one-to-one footing by their 'keeper/s'. What gives me the HJs is not them, but the occasional field shooter who gets permission to come along and zero his gun for the season, never having been on a formal target-shooting range. They are often frightening in their blasé approach to gun handling, and need careful watching at all times. Familiarity breeds contempt, even among the best-intentioned shooter, and you must never let safety be out of the very front of your mind when you are in charge of a potentially lethal firearm.

Apologies for the speech, I'm going out now.

tac

Advertisement