Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Frames

• 06-02-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

I have a few prints in frames on the walls. But I usually end up getting different size prints and then buy frames at the local euro shop that match the photo size (so no borders).

What I'd like, is to get my hands on 10 or 20 frames with inserts that I can use around the house and every now and then swap the photos that I choose to show in them. I'd like a reasonably modern looking frame with a generous border.

What's a good size combination (print:insert:frame) for hanging in the hall / living room?
    What sizes do you normally buy?
    Where do you get your frames and inserts?
    Can it be done cheaply?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

dnme wrote: »
    I have a few prints in frames on the walls. But I usually end up getting different size prints and then buy frames at the local euro shop that match the photo size (so no borders).

What I'd like, is to get my hands on 10 or 20 frames with inserts that I can use around the house and every now and then swap the photos that I choose to show in them. I'd like a reasonably modern looking frame with a generous border.

What's a good size combination (print:insert:frame) for hanging in the hall / living room?
    What sizes do you normally buy?
    Where do you get your frames and inserts?
    Can it be done cheaply?

Many thanks

Cheap and Modern - Ikea have a selection.
    Quality and longevity - Give StcStc on here a shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

as above if you want cheap and cheerful, ikea is the way to go

one thing i would say though is ikea frames are not the best if you want to be constaly opening them up etc

if you want something more quality built i can help, we can either supply ready made frames for you to assemble or can offer a complete custom print and frame service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

stcstc wrote: »
    as above if you want cheap and cheerful, ikea is the way to go

one thing i would say though is ikea frames are not the best if you want to be constaly opening them up etc

if you want something more quality built i can help, we can either supply ready made frames for you to assemble or can offer a complete custom print and frame service

I have never been to Ikea, I live nowhere near one and I hope to never darken the door of one :)

I am after a simple black frame, white border and then space for a photo. As my post asks above, what sizes are good for hall / living room? What are popular sizes? Have you any product images of what I am looking for ? I had a look at your website but didnt find any.

have a look in the galleries, there are plenty of pictures there

simple black with white mount is the norm

sizes that make sense would be 20*16 frame, with either 12*8 or 15*10 image (both of these sizes are out of the camera sizes for most cameras)

the other thing to look at is how your going to print, labe? print yourself? etc

if your printing yourself what size can you print to, a4 a3?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

homebase stock habitat frames, which are miles better than ikea ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Ikea have good ones. Not their €9 ones but for about €16 get 8" by 12" frame with monut and good solid black wood.

Not everything in Ikea is cheap and bad quality.

not not everything is

BUT

if you want prints to last or your selling the prints to customers, DO NOT use their mounts, they are not archival. they will damage the print long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

stcstc wrote: »
    have a look in the galleries, there are plenty of pictures there

simple black with white mount is the norm

sizes that make sense would be 20*16 frame, with either 12*8 or 15*10 image (both of these sizes are out of the camera sizes for most cameras)

the other thing to look at is how your going to print, labe? print yourself? etc

if your printing yourself what size can you print to, a4 a3?

Hi again,

I'm struggling to know what to do or find what I need from your website. Again I have looked in the gallery but I can't find anything that fits what i describe in my requirements. Maybe I'm missing more gallery pages or something?

Also, when I look at your prices, it's difficult for me to know what I'm looking at. E.G size 12*8, is this for a print? Are pearl / Fine Art paper types? What's an Acrylic Mounted Print? What's a Block Mounted Print?

I'm a beginner so all this terminology is new to me. Your website is a little tricky to navigate in terms of learning product and finding what one wants. Seeing as you deal in the visual, might I humbly suggest that your website could do a lot more to inform and guide customer decisions - especially beginners. I hope you take this criticism in the spirit its intended and thanks for the input here.

d

i am assuming from your description what your looking for is something like:

http://360-dpi.com/photos/files/page14-1005-full.html

acrylic mounted prints are

http://360-dpi.com/page18/page18.html

the ones labeled acrylic and and acrylic corner

and block mount is the one labeled wall sized block

as for the prices yes the first thing you looked at is print prices

labeled as giclee prints

as a lot of what we do is very custom, its dificult to cover everything on the website. what most people do is call us or call into the shop

maybe give me a call on monday, will go through options and might even be able to come up with something special just for you

Advertisement