Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defibrillator

Options
  • 06-02-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

I just noticed a defibrillator on the front of Cycleplus Bike Shop yesterday. It has been there a while I think. Great to have one in such a central part of Greystones.
    Well done to all concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Peehadc

Lets hope in the unfortunate case of having to use this defib that there are onlookers who know (and are confident) on how to use it correctly.
    Having been in the scenario the training does kick-in instantly.
    Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I hope its secure - thats an expensive piece of kit..

...agreed, you wouldn't have much change out of €1200-€1400 depending on the model.
    How long til it's in eBay I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

What other locations in the area have defibrillators, does anyone know? I presume tesco and the swimming pool.

dr ro wrote: »
    What other locations in the area have defibrillators, does anyone know? I presume tesco and the swimming pool.

Probably charlesland golf club and the other clubs...'shocking' stats for members to take cardiac arrests while getting a round in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Tesco have only just got one and there is a First Responder working there and is very well trained. There are defibs in Shoreline, tennis club (Greystones CFR group trained them), Rugby club, Eire Og, Greystones Fire Station, etc.

Also there is the Greystones CFR group who are always on call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 raptor1039

There is also one in Centra (opposite the Old Cinema) and one in both Shoreline Facilities. The ones in Centra and Cycleplus are part of an initiative to set up a "Public Access" Defibrillator Programme" for the town, this compliments the CFR Programme already in place. We are hoping to get a third to place at the DART station end of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Peehadc wrote: »
    Lets hope in the unfortunate case of having to use this defib that there are onlookers who know (and are confident) on how to use it correctly.
    Having been in the scenario the training does kick-in instantly.
    Well done to all involved.

Well done indeed!

I do think it is worth saying that nobody should feel in anyway inhibited in using a defibrillator. Even if you have never used one before and are the only other person on the scene -then have a go. They have an inbuilt guide taking you through a foolproof step by step process.

Remember if a person's heart stops beating they are dead and anything you do will not make them anymore dead. So by all means look for a trained person but do hesitate if none is available.

I think it would be useful to train transition year students in using these devices. (Maybe this happens already). In fact everybody should learn this life saving technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Hi Cerco

You're right in everything you say!
    The Greystones CFR have been teaching and demonstrating CPR skills with the defib for transition students at St. Davids for a few years now and will continue for years to come.
    We've had great feedback from students about knowning what to do in a cardiac arrest situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GreystonesCFR

We are looking for new volunteers to join our group, have a read about what we do and if so, send an email to the address below or send a private message. Thanks. Happy Hearts.

Greystones First Responders have been in existence for the past eight years. We are a voluntary organisation working hand in hand with the National Ambulance Service.

We respond to 999 (112) calls in our immediate area that relate to cardiac arrest, heart attack, chest pain, stroke, collapse cases and breathing difficulties. Because each of the Responders live locally, we can arrive to the patient within a few minutes, we can then provide emergency medical care for these type of incidents whilst waiting on the arrival of an ambulance. The early arrival of a First Responder to a callout can be crucial and can mean the difference between life and death, or result in a quality of life greater than might otherwise have occurred in the event of a delay of the ambulance arriving. We carry an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) and can administer Aspirin and oxygen therapy if necessary. Each volunteer is also trained in CPR (Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation). We can also provide support and reassurance to patients and their families, often when they are at their most vulnerable.

We were initially trained and funded by the HSE, but we now fund ourselves through collection days, corporate funding and donations etc

We meet once a month to train and practise our skills, this normally takes about an hour.

We are now looking for volunteers to join our group, If you would like to join and become a part of this vital service please send an email to greystonescfrgroup@gmail.com or send a private message for further details

Training will take place in Glendalough Co. Wicklow on Saturday and Sunday 23rd and 24th March 2013. The sessions run approx. from 9am to 4pm each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ray1964

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I just noticed a defibrillator on the front of Cycleplus Bike Shop yesterday. It has been there a while I think. Great to have one in such a central part of Greystones.
    Well done to all concerned.

Stephen the owner of Cycleplus did a 700+ KM cycle with a number of other riders to sponsor these defibrillators locally.

Mizen to Malin Cycle - One Week ~ 700 kilometre cycle journeys along the west coast of Ireland, from the extreme south in Mizen Head to extreme north at Malin Head. The route takes you through some of the most beautiful countryside and includes overnight stays in Bantry, Tralee, Spanish Point, Galway, Sligo, Letterkenny and Buncrana. it is an annual event that has been going 13 years.

Fair play to all those who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Kilcoole GAA club are holding a fundraising quiz with all proceeds going towards a defibrillator on Friday 22th march @ 9 pm sharp in the Molly's table of 4 will be 30 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Pretty sure that Shoreline have one

Advertisement