Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows HATE!

Options
  • 07-02-2013 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Please help! :eek:

I am unfortunate enough to have Windows 8 on my new laptop and it just ate my assignment! Trying to find recent docs WIN + R doesnt help, its a nightmare! The full file name is showing up if I create a new one (to save as version 2).

I am a spaz-tech, so any help in simple instructions would be unbelievably appreciated! Is there anyway around this? is Start8 better than ViStart as a way to get back to a proper start menu etc? and would this help find the file?

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Can you open the program that it was created in (Microsoft Word Maybe).

Click on File and look for a the list of recent files. Is it in that list.

Another way if you can see the path is to Hold the windows key and press D to go to the desktop. Click on the folder and browse to the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Windows 8 has Search everywhere so just start typing the name of your document and it will begin looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

win + r is not a search box...!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Go into the metro interface (i.e: with the tiles) then type the file name. Should appear then. If you do Windows key + R, type %temp% and enter, look inside here for the document.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Flurticia wrote: »
    I am a spaz-tech, so any help in simple instructions would be unbelievably appreciated! Is there anyway around this? is Start8 better than ViStart as a way to get back to a proper start menu etc? and would this help find the file?

Download and install StartMenu8 (decline the offer to install Advanced System Care in the process). Voilá, a proper start menu with search bar.

Pkguayl.jpg

Right click on the start button, select Settings and configure StartMenu8 to your likings ... bid farewell to the Metro start screen you hate so much and boot right to the desktop, disable the annoying hot corners and sidebar, etc.

O56tBCi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As a general rule, when using a Microsoft office product change every file save setting. The defaults only apply for a networked system with on the ball admins who have turned on file retention settings on the sever.

try to get as many of these as possible (not all options apply)

turn off fast save - turn on always create backup

change default format to the one that does NOT end in x ie. .doc .xls .ppt
    the x means it's compressed , this saves you 0.0001% of hard drive space but also means you can't recover text from broken fragments of files

turn on autosave - but remember to save as using a new name at every milestone ( you decide what a milestone is ) This gives you a fraction of the ability to go back to previous versions that was standard on VMS 30 years ago. ( and don't get me started on the VMS editor keyboard log file that allowed complete roll back or roll forward to in the current edit )

turn on volume shadow copy ( to get previous versions )

email the document to yourself & family / friends / second email account

print it out so you have a hard copy if all else fails

print or save it out to a .pdf (in case you get a virus that kill documents or you do something really stupid)

dropbox / mozyhome / google docs / mendeley

With word Ctrl-a followed by a will replace your entire document with the letter a.
    If you have autosave on but no backup then 10 minutes after your cat walks across the keyboard (or you close the cover on a pen etc.) it's game over.

if all else fails photorec is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Flurticia

hearny & Advertfox, thanks a million, tried those ways and the file name popped up but no result in the search

Yoyo / Nick - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! this worked and I found the file with everything in it.

Wossack the WIN+R does work!!

Torqay - Thanks so much! Just installed that now and i finally can bare to look and use my laptop! Its like Christmas all over again but way better!!

Capt'n Midnight - Nice one! working my way through those top tips now, Thanks a million!

Advertisement