Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another credit history question

Options
  • 07-02-2013 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

So I know this has been asked a lot but just looking for some advice. I left Ireland over 3 years ago and I plan to return soon, but I'm worried about the mess I left behind!

When I left, Halifax just announced they were pulling out, I had a $5,000 Credit card with them and a $2500 loan. Both of which went unpaid and I have heard nothing from them for about 2 years. Am I right in saying that credit cards don't show on the credit history?

I also had about 3 months left on my O2 contract and just reneged on the deal and cancelled the DD.

I do however have a PTSB loan which I have defaulted on but I do have an 'agreement to pay' with them and pay a minimum amount each month. I had a PTSB CC which I cleared and I have a mortgage with Ulster Bank which I have kept 100% clean over the period with up to date payments.

My concern is - how bad is my credit situation would you say? When I return I will be in solid employment earning in excess of $60,000 and back on my feet. I will also have about $5,000 savings. If for example I wanted a car loan - what are the chances? What would I need to do to prove my credit trust?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

credit cards do show up. I'd say your goosed at getting a loan. It usually lasts on your credit report five years from date settled, which hadn't occurred yet for you. Or they could have wrote it off, it'll still show uP though.

Don't worry about O2 can't access your credit score.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

Would the bank take into account some savings and the fact that I have had a spotless mortgage account for over 5 years (and still going)?

I totally get the 5year issue and to be honest, it is not a major problem as it will probably be about 3 and a half years now but just concerned really!

No the bank wont take any if that into account. It's only five years from when the debt is cleared. You best bet is to get a €6 credit report on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Oh and as soon as they all find out you're back they will pursue you for what you owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

pmb wrote: »
    Would the bank take into account some savings and the fact that I have had a spotless mortgage account for over 5 years (and still going)?

I totally get the 5year issue and to be honest, it is not a major problem as it will probably be about 3 and a half years now but just concerned really!

Its 5 years from completion of loan, it has not completed yet so this 5 years period may not have commenced. If they have marked it as a write off (which is often done when they consider taking legal action) the 5 year period may then start usually.

Of course they will consider any savings and your track record on your mortgage (of which the payments are also noted on the ICB already on your profile) but they will obviously have to factor in you reneged on other debts outstanding and this will have to be a concern for them.

Advertisement