Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSAP exam

Options
  • 07-02-2013 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Guys am due to sit this in a couple of weeks am dreading it as i dont have a clue about writing essays. can someone give me any tips on the best way to prep for this exam. thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You likely have it already, but I've been working off this practice paper.

http://msap.acer.edu.au/images/msap_pqs-mod-12_2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

I'll be taking the exam too. Module 3 looks easy but I am terrible at writing essay's. I'm afriad that I will lose a lot of marks in module 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I did this a couple of years ago, I think if you google MSAP you can get an idea of what they are like, but personally, I just brushed up on the essay part, as I'm not sure how much you can prepare for the abstract part of the test. I actually did quite well, but hadn't much of a clue what was going on whilst doing it, so don't panic if you're not sure of most of your answers, they're designed to melt your head, so just stay calm, read over the questions, take a moment to think about it and then give your best attempt at an answer. I seem to recall it was multiple choice, but you might want to check that, I'm not 100% sure on that.

With regards to the essay, I know it sounds simple enough, but it's worth remembering before you go in - don't just run off on a tagent with whatever they ask you about - they don't really care what you have to say on the subject (As you're not being tested on your knowledge of the 3rd world or the oil industry or whatever they ask you to comment on) what they're looking for is your ability to clearly and concisely structure and present a balanced observation on whatever the topic is, so:

1/ Start with an introduction:

"In this essay I will be discussing ....."
    I also often try and put in two main points I will discuss, basically each side of the argument if you can - like a positive and negative - "The use of oil is an efficient and readily available resource for fueling industry, however it will not last forever and it may be time to explore alternative sources of energy for the future" (I think my question was about oil or alternative energy or something random like that)

2/ The Body of your argument.

Start focusing on one side of your argument - think of three points to make and write three paragraphs
    *oil is an efficient fuel which is ingrained in todays society
    *Many industries are dependant on it and it is a large industry within its self, contributing large amounts to producing nations wealth and producing many jobs
    *Some may argue that if it is not broken, why try to fix it? Oil is a perfectly acceptable form of fuel for the future.

Then switch tact, go the other way...
    *However it is a depleating and non-renewable source, and sooner or later we will have to explore alternative sources of energy and others might argue that there is no time like the present
    *Oil is a dirty fuel and research and mass adoptation of other fuel sources would be good for the enviornment
    * Technology already exists to use alternative fuel sources and all that it will take is the common will to adapt.

3/ Then summarise and express an opinion:

"In summary, there are various sides to this argument, however I feel it would be beneficial to invest in our future...blah blah blah"

I know the above seems obvious, but it's worth keeping it in mind and practice a few. It's only a short essay - ask some family or friends to give you some questions to write a short essay on - like, I don't know, How do you feel about European Integration or whatever...

As long as you have that fresh in your head going in, as many people will get over excited and just start spilling their brain out on the page and forget to stop and think before writing and remember it's all about balance and structure.

I did really well on my essay part, so I'd say that is 90% of the reason why, because my content was complete waffle...it's not important what you say, it's how you say it. Also, write in a formal tone.

BEST OF LUCK! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

[Quote=[Jackass];83173781]I did this a couple of years ago, I think if you google MSAP you can get an idea of what they are like, but personally, I just brushed up on the essay part, as I'm not sure how much you can prepare for the abstract part of the test. I actually did quite well, but hadn't much of a clue what was going on whilst doing it, so don't panic if you're not sure of most of your answers, they're designed to melt your head, so just stay calm, read over the questions, take a moment to think about it and then give your best attempt at an answer. I seem to recall it was multiple choice, but you might want to check that, I'm not 100% sure on that.

With regards to the essay, I know it sounds simple enough, but it's worth remembering before you go in - don't just run off on a tagent with whatever they ask you about - they don't really care what you have to say on the subject (As you're not being tested on your knowledge of the 3rd world or the oil industry or whatever they ask you to comment on) what they're looking for is your ability to clearly and concisely structure and present a balanced observation on whatever the topic is, so:

1/ Start with an introduction:

"In this essay I will be discussing ....."
    I also often try and put in two main points I will discuss, basically each side of the argument if you can - like a positive and negative - "The use of oil is an efficient and readily available resource for fueling industry, however it will not last forever and it may be time to explore alternative sources of energy for the future" (I think my question was about oil or alternative energy or something random like that)

2/ The Body of your argument.

Start focusing on one side of your argument - think of three points to make and write three paragraphs
    *oil is an efficient fuel which is ingrained in todays society
    *Many industries are dependant on it and it is a large industry within its self, contributing large amounts to producing nations wealth and producing many jobs
    *Some may argue that if it is not broken, why try to fix it? Oil is a perfectly acceptable form of fuel for the future.

Then switch tact, go the other way...
    *However it is a depleating and non-renewable source, and sooner or later we will have to explore alternative sources of energy and others might argue that there is no time like the present
    *Oil is a dirty fuel and research and mass adoptation of other fuel sources would be good for the enviornment
    * Technology already exists to use alternative fuel sources and all that it will take is the common will to adapt.

3/ Then summarise and express an opinion:

"In summary, there are various sides to this argument, however I feel it would be beneficial to invest in our future...blah blah blah"

I know the above seems obvious, but it's worth keeping it in mind and practice a few. It's only a short essay - ask some family or friends to give you some questions to write a short essay on - like, I don't know, How do you feel about European Integration or whatever...

As long as you have that fresh in your head going in, as many people will get over excited and just start spilling their brain out on the page and forget to stop and think before writing and remember it's all about balance and structure.

I did really well on my essay part, so I'd say that is 90% of the reason why, because my content was complete waffle...it's not important what you say, it's how you say it. Also, write in a formal tone.

BEST OF LUCK! :)[/Quote]

Thanks a million, that's a great help only thing is I wouldn't have a clue what to write about if they asked me about oil or European integration it makes me sick to my stomach with nerves thinking they could ask something so random. Ill just have to write out a few random essays and hope for the best but thanks for that advice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sorry, don't mind me with the topics I'm coming up with - I can't remember what they ask, but it's something generic, not something you'll need to study for on the content. Honestly, don't worry, my waffle is probably making it sound worse than it is, but the essay structure is the main thing, maybe read some online articles about essay writing, I promise the essay topic wont be anything to worry about. Like I said, they're not looking for you knowledge on anything, just how you present it.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jackass, that helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Who got their emails today? My test is Saturday week! Just did a practice essay there that saturn linked. The essay was ok but my hand was aching after it :p

The multiple choice I kind of rushed and got 9/24 which is just nearly a pass..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fatboyfat7

What topics did they bring up for the eassy writing this year?

fatboyfat7 wrote: »
    What topics did they bring up for the eassy writing this year?

One was about why science is the greatest invention and the other was something like drive and ambition are required to pursue excellence and have a happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mermairead

Hi, I did the MSAP yesterday, 23rd and am feeling sick. Section 2 was so much harder than either of the sample papers I practiced. I did the easier ones first and then went back to the harder ones but the time constraints put so much pressure on me that I'm afraid I messed it up! I thought I did ok on my essays but I'm not sure if they were structured enough, I dont do well under severe time constraints. I feel it's unfair to judge on this test alone and I'm really not sure if I'll do well enough to get a place on my course...how did anybody else find it?

• Advertisement

Mermairead wrote: »
    Hi, I did the MSAP yesterday, 23rd and am feeling sick. Section 2 was so much harder than either of the sample papers I practiced. I did the easier ones first and then went back to the harder ones but the time constraints put so much pressure on me that I'm afraid I messed it up! I thought I did ok on my essays but I'm not sure if they were structured enough, I dont do well under severe time constraints. I feel it's unfair to judge on this test alone and I'm really not sure if I'll do well enough to get a place on my course...how did anybody else find it?

Yeah I'm the same thought the essay part was ok but I just ended up waffling on am sure there was no real structure in place as I didn't have time to execute a decent essay! My hand nearly fell off I was writing so fast!! The second paper was a disaster I don't know how it went as I really wasn't sure about any of the answers being right or wrong. Will just have to wait and see, does anyone know when results are available and the cut off points for Arts in NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Hi, I did the MSAP yesterday, 23rd and am feeling sick. Section 2 was so much harder than either of the sample papers I practiced.

I had the same problem with section 3, all the test ones I did were easier than what came up.

I plopped a standard 5-paragraph essay for the first prompt, and wrote, and wrote, and wrote, and wrote, more than I expected (which probably ain't a good thing), but then, I ended up writing myself into something of a corner on the second one, and only managed a page-and-a-half of barely structured boplunk.

Module 2 served as a head-melt, as expected, but the sheer terror of underperforming on Module 1 (B) is taking priority in my hierarchy of panic at
    the moment. I'm sure it'll get its due anxiety before the day is out. You'd almost admire the logic-loops they tried to send you on with the diagrams on formal/informal pronouns, had you not actually had to deal with them.

I did laugh when I overheard a few stifled groans at the opening of Module 2, but then I looked at the questions and I found myself joining'em.

I'm still in shock, so the angstiness hasn't quite hit me, but I ain't too optimistic about how I've done.

I know that our essays are marked by actual humans but section 2 is marked by a machine leaving no room for error, if it's wrong it's wrong. I felt that with a lot of them however that it was a matter of opinion. In the back of my mind I kept thinking about how little time there was and in the end I was just in a blind panic! I think it's unnecessarily difficult and really trying to catch you out. I feel sorry for people who have been out of education for years because it's not very encouraging.

I made a huge mess of it. There just wasn't enough time. I was only getting started on my first essay when they announced the time was half up. I went on to speed write a load of nonsense.
    Pretty much the same thing happened with module 3. There was not enough time at all to answer all of those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

The questions on module 1 were very fair and approachable. I really enjoyed answering the 'Can Science Sufficiently Explain Life and Death' question. I choose to argue that It can't and found It quite easy to back up the argument. It had an intro, two long paragraphs and a short conclusion. But this only left me 25 mins for the second essay. I didn't do as well with this one. It had an intro and two sufficient paragraphs but no conclusion. I hope I won't drop to many marks for this but I've never been a very fast writer so was quite pleased overall with my two and a half pages :P

Module 2 was a lot of fun. It was so dense and grand. I don't think the human mind is meant to be contorted in a way the Shakespeare/ Middle English singular/ plural pronoun/ formal/ informal presented. This was tricky :P But the informal/ formal diagramme was a lot of fun for me 'cos I'm used to this from Spanish... I was pleased enough with performance with module 2. Not because I got everything right but because the standard was so high and I doubt anybody got everything right. I had to just use pot luck for 5 questions as I ran outta time.

Iopu wrote: »
    I made a huge mess of it. There just wasn't enough time. I was only getting started on my first essay when they announced the time was half up. I went on to speed write a load of nonsense.
    Pretty much the same thing happened with module 3. There was not enough time at all to answer all of those questions.

I think a lot of people felt this way, I suppose being able to preform under pressure is the main part of the test. I did get to answer all questions, but needed more time to be able to spend on them to check/double-check answers etc, I literally got the last one answered 5 seconds before it ended :( no chance to look over anything.

On reading the booklet I bought for the MSAP I don't think it mentioned anywhere about being tested on our ability to perform under pressure?? It really seems pointless. I don't see the point of putting people under such pressure. It really isn't a good enough system to judge peoples capabilities

On reading the booklet I bought for the MSAP I don't think it mentioned anywhere about being tested on our ability to perform under pressure?? It really seems pointless. I don't see the point of putting people under such pressure. It really isn't a good enough system to judge peoples capabilities

Well all exams are timed, so timing is part of exam taking. Although it doesnt say it in the booklet, if they are asking you to produce 2 full essays in 1 hour, you can take it that it is a pressure exam and that dealing with that pressure will show up well in your result.

It really isn't a good enough system to judge peoples capabilities

I kind of agree with this, but there is no 100% "fair" method for every applicant, and this system is used worldwide according to one of the examiners there, its just not widely used in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ye fair enough about timing essays etc, it's module 2 that I take issue with. I mean the questions are designed to tie you up in knots! I don't think time management should be as big an ask with the multiple choice, that's what I find pointless, they should give more time for module 2. Even on my practice ones I was stuck for time and they were waaaay easier than the actual exam! There was barely any time to get your head around a question before it was time to start the next!

Anyway I just hope the gods of fortune and luck will smile down upon me because I know I'm not a moron but I just don't know what the exam will reflect!

I noticed coming out of the exam hall, there was more than a few folk wearing expressions of legit shock.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I noticed coming out of the exam hall, there was more than a few folk wearing expressions of legit shock.

Yeh me too, and when we got to see the questions, there was a few sighs and shocked expressions, im not surprised, for a mature student it is pretty daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

There was a woman next to me who stopped writing after a half hour into the 1st module. My head was melted.

Anyone know what time we get our results tomorrow. I either 'passed' or did horrible..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Get our results tomorrow? Don't we have to wait six weeks or so?

Get our results tomorrow? Don't we have to wait six weeks or so?

Yeh thats what i heard, the colleges get it a bit earlier though

You heard we get our results tomorrow or you heard we get them in six weeks>

You heard we get our results tomorrow or you heard we get them in six weeks>

Sorry, its 6 weeks when we get them, but the colleges get them 1-2 weeks earlier, so I was told, could be wrong

EDIT - I just checked here - http://www.msap.acer.edu.au/results and the first line on the page says -
    Results will be released via email on 28th March 2013.
    So we get them in another 4 weeks.

Ye I thought so, would be great if we could be put out of our misery tomorrow!
    Oh God I just want to know, I'm swinging from thinking I have a good chance to thinking I haven't a chance in hell....

• Advertisement

Ye I thought so, would be great if we could be put out of our misery tomorrow!
    Oh God I just want to know, I'm swinging from thinking I have a good chance to thinking I haven't a chance in hell....

Unfortunatly when we get our results theres still the waiting game of hearing from the colleges we applied to, that will probably take another few months or so. The results arent really going to tell you much.

Advertisement