Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Following the debacle of Euro 16 I thought England was going to carry out a full review.

They have ended up with a new coach, but all the same players, the same tactics and very close to exactly the same outcome. So basically they have put all the responsibility and blame onto Hodgson!

Why is Sam going to continue with the group of players that failed in Euro 16? Isn't it time to move on with a new crop?

There is little doubt they will sail through, what is a pretty easy group (isn't it always!) with the tough games being the one on Sunday and possibly Scotland (but that is more to do with history rather than the relative strength of the teams, a team of Scotland's level really should be an easy win both home & away for England), but they are still faced with the exact same position they left Euro 16 with.

I can only assume that Same plans to bring the new players in now that the toughest game is done. If they had lost he can use that to claim that he wanted to have experience and give them another shot. To win, but a poor display, is pretty much the same, except of course for a big 3 points.

I can certainly see the older players (Cahill, Rooney, Hart, Henderson) being eased out during the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe they should get Aidy Boothroyd to join the senior coaching team - England U21 6 - 1 Norway U21 Or maybe they should have picked Rashford

M. Rashford 29'
    N. Chalobah 38'
    R. Loftus-Cheek 64'
    M. Rashford 66'
    M. Rashford (PG) 72'
    L. Baker 86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Maybe they should get Aidy Boothroyd to join the senior coaching team - England U21 6 - 1 Norway U21 Or maybe they should have picked Rashford

M. Rashford 29'
    N. Chalobah 38'
    R. Loftus-Cheek 64'
    M. Rashford 66'
    M. Rashford (PG) 72'
    L. Baker 86

Or maybe you should be talking about the actual England U-21 manager :P

Who is the actual U21 England manager these days? Oh yeah - yer man ex Boro. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Following the debacle of Euro 16 I thought England was going to carry out a full review.

They have ended up with a new coach, but all the same players, the same tactics and very close to exactly the same outcome. So basically they have put all the responsibility and blame onto Hodgson!

Why is Sam going to continue with the group of players that failed in Euro 16? Isn't it time to move on with a new crop?

There is little doubt they will sail through, what is a pretty easy group (isn't it always!) with the tough games being the one on Sunday and possibly Scotland (but that is more to do with history rather than the relative strength of the teams, a team of Scotland's level really should be an easy win both home & away for England), but they are still faced with the exact same position they left Euro 16 with.

I can only assume that Same plans to bring the new players in now that the toughest game is done. If they had lost he can use that to claim that he wanted to have experience and give them another shot. To win, but a poor display, is pretty much the same, except of course for a big 3 points.

I can certainly see the older players (Cahill, Rooney, Hart, Henderson) being eased out during the campaign.

:confused:

Hart is only 29, very young for a goalkeeper and Henderson is only 26.

rob316 wrote: »
    :confused:

Hart is only 29, very young for a goalkeeper and Henderson is only 26.

I meant older players in terms of their careers. Hart and Henderson are both established players in the England squad and given the total failure in both WC14 and Euro 16 England look to look at something new.

Now whether that is new players, or simply a new structure/performance management is open to debate, but, IMO, players like Hart & Henderson are simply not at the elite level they need to compete for the trophies and as such they such hitch their wagon to promising newcomers.

Rooney to be dropped for Tuesday game according to Guardian article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/10/wayne-rooney-gareth-southgate-england-slovenia-world-cup-2018-qualifier
    Gareth Southgate is set to drop Wayne Rooney from the England team for Tuesday’s World Cup 2018 qualifier against Slovenia in Ljubljana.

The captain’s place in the side has been under scrutiny since England’s woeful departure from Euro 2016 but started in midfield for Sam Allardyce in England’s opening qualifier against Slovakia, which they won 1-0, and played against Malta on Saturday night in a routine 2-0 victory at Wembley.

However, the interim manager is expected to bring Eric Dier into the side in the Rooney’s place, leaving the 30-year-old to miss out on a starting role for the first time since becoming the England captain.

Better win this Gareth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I didn't want on Saturday but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Rooney on the teamsheet in midfield.

He is a striker. He should either play up front or not at all. Shoehorning him into the side doesn't do him any favours and doesn't do the team any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I didn't want on Saturday but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Rooney on the teamsheet in midfield.

He is a striker. He should either play up front or not at all. Shoehorning him into the side doesn't do him any favours and doesn't do the team any favours.

time for him to be dropped, at least to the subs bench if not altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dodgy enough start v Slovenia so far

Walcott and Lingard are passengers, Slovenia were up for it at KO but unless they score they'll probably lose to a late goal as they are already conserving energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Is this on virgin media?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lingard starting and Rashford in the under 21's.

Can any United fan explain that to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It must be nearly Rooney time, he was dropped and Sturridge has been awful and is on a yellow too. Rooney or Vardy has to come on for him surely.

Henderson was awful!

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Henderson was awful!

The whole team was an absolutely putrid, devoid of ideas, unmotivated disgrace really.

The whole team was an absolutely putrid, devoid of ideas, unmotivated disgrace really.

you have to excuse Hart from that but it was an dreadful performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Wow, I had the displeasure of watching England, my god, make no odds who manages them.

Ireland, don’t have the players, but at least try, but this lot should be trouncing teams. I’d rather watch an Ireland game.

Bar Hart who made one remarkable save and was solid, Slovenia should of easily won by two. And the rest of the English, every single one of them, I’d score them a solid 2.

Henderson as captain, jeepers.

International football is the pits, realistically how often does a good game manifest?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That save though, seriously

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Wow, I had the displeasure of watching England, my god, make no odds who manages them.

Ireland, don’t have the players, but at least try, but this lot should be trouncing teams. I’d rather watch an Ireland game.

Bar Hart who made one remarkable save and was solid, Slovenia should of easily won by two. And the rest of the English, every single one of them, I’d score them a solid 2.

Henderson as captain, jeepers.

International football is the pits, realistically how often does a good game manifest?
    Qualifiers aren't normally much fun to watch but the World Cup every four years make them worthwhile.

England are better than they showed the other night. Problem is the idiots in charge of hiring and firing managers are still the same people that hired Allardyce. Their positions are just as untenable as Allardyce's was imo. They had lots of information about his dodgy dealings before they hired him and they still did. These same fools then put the hopeless case that is Gareth Southgate in charge of the England team.

There are plenty of decent managers who could fill in as interim managers while they find a good one but they give it to somebody with a horrendous record in management.

These people should be sacked immediately and the right people and the right procedures should be put in place to hire a manager.

• Advertisement

No Walcott

Defoe in :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ward-Prowse in?
    Lingard still in?
    Livermore in?

Christ the talent pool is thin. I'm surprised Alfie Mawson didn't make it in, such is the standard.

Bump for a summer of success!

While the seniors continue to grope and stumble in the fog the under age sides have had a very good summer

UEFA U17 - final, beaten on penos
    Toulon U20 winners
    UEFA U19 winners
    FIFA U20 winners
    UEFA U21 semi final

Obviously its a big leap to the seniors and the players are ultimately only as good as the coaching and tactics unfortunately and that's where England will continue to struggle.

Just need to get the right manager for the senior side now. They clearly have the talent to be a serious side in 2022.

You've got Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Alli, Dier, Stones, Keane, Shaw, Ward-Prowse and then you have players like Calum Chambers and Rob Holding from Arsenal, Tom Davies at Everton, Lascelles at Newcastle, Stephens, Targett and Redmond at Southampton, Oxford at West Ham and Winks at Spurs. I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten about but I'm not including the under age players who have been successful over the last 12 months.

There is the potential for a fantastic squad in the near future if you give the right man the reigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bump for a summer of success!

While the seniors continue to grope and stumble in the fog the under age sides have had a very good summer

UEFA U17 - final, beaten on penos
    Toulon U20 winners
    UEFA U19 winners
    FIFA U20 winners
    UEFA U21 semi final

Obviously its a big leap to the seniors and the players are ultimately only as good as the coaching and tactics unfortunately and that's where England will continue to struggle.

Aidy Boothroyd in charge of the U21 team will ensure there is zero tactical improvement whilst under his care. Long throws apart of course.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is the potential for a fantastic squad in the near future if you give the right man the reigns.
    Allardye's poor judgement was probably one of the best things that could happen to the national team. Southgate is a far more sensible manager.

Allardye's poor judgement was probably one of the best things that could happen to the national team. Southgate is a far more sensible manager.

Sensible maybe, but tactically astute? In the big games it can sometimes come down to adapting to changing tactics and circumstances, subs at the right time etc.

Southgate has very little experience of management at that level and you would wonder how he will deal with the mounting pressure as they progress through a tournament.

Easy enough in a qualification campaign where you are the superior team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Decent line up for the Slovakia this evening. Can go 5 clear of Slovakia with a win here and would look out of sight in the group.

Slovakia have a few decent players themselves, but England will be too strong you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Decent line up for the Slovakia this evening. Can go 5 clear of Slovakia with a win here and would look out of sight in the group.

Slovakia have a few decent players themselves, but England will be too strong you'd think.

Dont let the 4 nil win deceive you on friday night. Was not a great game, and a win from Slovakia will put them top of the group.

Edit.

1-0 to Slovakia.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

LOL.

• Advertisement

oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

oh dear

Now you've done it!

:P

If England lose Southgate will probably be driven out by the media if they could make it happen, it's long felt like he is manager by default with no real goodwill behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

If England lose Southgate will probably be driven out by the media if they could make it happen, it's long felt like he is manager by default with no real goodwill behind him.

Yeah, you can see that feeling in the media alright. They'd prefer to see somebody like Harry in charge.

ah jaysis, man on the post!

Berserker wrote: »
    Yeah, you can see that feeling in the media alright. They'd prefer to see somebody like Harry in charge.

Nah it's not for me Clive ;)

what a hit from Rashford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hoddle never stops talking ****e. Wouldn't give Rashford credit for the corner in the first half and after he scores he spends the next couple of minutes chatting about a mistake in the first half that wasn't half as bad a mistake as he makes it out to be.

Cahill is becoming a right liability

Alli with an American finger for someone caught in close up - total silence from ITV commentary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Cahill is becoming a right liability

Alli with an American finger for someone caught in close up - total silence from ITV commentary!

in fairness they talked about it after the game and reckon hes in trouble,Cahill is getting worse by the game

The Alli thing is such a non-story. Who cares?

The Alli thing is such a non-story. Who cares?

Only a non story if nothing happens, it is one if he gets a ban. It also chimes in with the narrative that Alli is a bit of a petulant child.

Show me a single footballer who hasn't sworn on the pitch?

He's an idiot for doing anything with so many cameras on him but I doubt that there's ever been a single football match take place in which something worse hasn't happened.

It's just a snidey swipe at a Spurs player.

Show me a single footballer who hasn't sworn on the pitch?

He's an idiot for doing anything with so many cameras on him but I doubt that there's ever been a single football match take place in which something worse hasn't happened.

So you agree that what he did was wrong. Why then do you have a problem with it being brought up.

The fact that others do it, and get away with it, is hardly a defence.

• Advertisement

Sticking a finger up at a mate? I don't think it's wrong, no.

I hope none of these offended snowflakes ever saw Stone Cold Steve Austin ffs. They'd have an aneurysm.

a mate? it was the ref wasn't it.

think of the CHILDREN, he's supposed to be a ROLE MODEL

No it wasn't the ref. You only had to see the grin on his face to see that he was ****ing around with one of the England players.

Sticking a finger up at a mate? I don't think it's wrong, no.

I hope none of these offended snowflakes ever saw Stone Cold Steve Austin ffs. They'd have an aneurysm.

So why call him an idiot?

And straight back to other people do it and why is everyone such snowflakes.

The guy is a very well paid professional footballer. He is surrounded by the best coaches, medical etc help. He trains specifically for these type of matches. He failed to control himself. England should be worried that one of their stars seems incapable of controlling his emotions. It is the ability to control your emotions and perform under pressure that separates the great from the good.

Because he should know the ludicrous level of scrutiny that England players are under and that there's thousands of morons with cameras, pause buttons on their Sky Box and newspaper column-inches to fill who are keen to make a mountain out of every molehill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement