Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to do what he done infront of about 30k fans and the TV cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Because he should know the ludicrous level of scrutiny that England players are under and that there's thousands of morons with cameras, pause buttons on their Sky Box and newspaper column-inches to fill who are keen to make a mountain out of every molehill.

So its all the others that are the problem. The watching public are morons. You already said he was an idiot.

Can you clarify. It seems that you are saying that he was simply giving the finger to his friend, based only on his say so, and ignoring the evidence that he was looking at the ref and felt he should have been given a foul at the time.

So he is an idiot only in that he forgot that there were cameras in the stadium, and that he was at work and not messing about with his mates on the beach.

And that thousands of the watching public are morons for calling him on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Never liked the look of Cahill as a defender unless John Terry was there to hold his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So its all the others that are the problem. The watching public are morons. You already said he was an idiot.

Can you clarify. It seems that you are saying that he was simply giving the finger to his friend, based only on his say so, and ignoring the evidence that he was looking at the ref and felt he should have been given a foul at the time.

So he is an idiot only in that he forgot that there were cameras in the stadium, and that he was at work and not messing about with his mates on the beach.

And that thousands of the watching public are morons for calling him on it.

I'm not going to clarify, no. I've already been clear.

There are bigger issues in every single game of football you'll ever see. Worst case he did that to the ref (he didn't but whatever) and is an idiot for doing it but compared to all the issues in football that's what people want to talk about? Nah, not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There are bigger issues in every single game of football you'll ever see. Worst case he did that to the ref (he didn't but whatever) and is an idiot for doing it but compared to all the issues in football that's what people want to talk about? Nah, not for me.

The original, live footage cut away as he gave the finger. It took other angles from the broadcast to show Walkers reaction to it and give the possibility that it was a joke between club mates......and not directed at the ref as the live footage suggested.

Regardless, it takes a special kind of man-child idiot to be doing something like that in the first place. You are professional footballer, representing your country with millions watching. Moreover you are a bloody adult. Act like it maybe? And not like a 12 year old scrote on the green.

To be honest even accounting for club allegiances, I'm amazed anybody would defend him.

Ok, thanks, you did clarify. So basically your position, which I agree with to a point, is that regardless of what he did other things are worse and so no point talking about it.

I agree that there are certainly far worse things going on in football, both on and off the pitch. But this is a thread about England, and they happened to play a match last night, and Alli happened to carry out a particular action during that game.

That is why it is being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The England U17s play their first Would Cup final today v Spain and it's on BBC Two if you're interested (Man City fans certainly should be)

DNOlspZWAAEu8Wm.jpg

Spain go ahead with an offside goal (edit not offside on replay).

Spainsh player with a potential red card stand on Fodan's back - not seen.

The England U17s play their first Would Cup final today v Spain and it's on BBC Two if you're interested (Man City fans certainly should be)

DNOlspZWAAEu8Wm.jpg

Not many Smiths and Taylors in that, no. 17 the closest.

Catastrophic defending by England, Spanish goal stopped by brave keeping, the Enlgand midfield are very slow witted - sounds familiar!

Spain lead 2-0, England defence is far too slow to react or clear lines.

• Advertisement

RHIANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! 2-1 to Spain.

England equalise - 2-2 Wolves Gibbs-White scores another Sessegnon assist cross/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Didn't realise this was on the television. Still plenty of time left to get an equaliser.

Edit : 2-2 Gibbs-White. Come on England.

Amazing scenes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3-2 Foden - who has been the star of this side

Amazing scenes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3-2 Foden - who has been the star of this side

Playing Spain off the park. Who would have thought it.

Not quite, a couple of the England players are now walking about. Subs needed quickly.

Drinks break. Wonder if tea is an option.

Gibbs-White off and Kirby on.

Astonishing scenes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4-2 England, goal mouth scramble Guehi scores

Immense scenes - Foden makes it 5-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That England U17 team is really good, they've truly deserved the U17 World Cup, best team taking part by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

England look like they have an incredibly talented bunch of players coming through.

• Advertisement

Spanish players getting a bit tasty and handbags swung about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Typical Spanish team behaviour when they are getting spanked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A lot of gems coming through for England and they should be a major force to be reckoned with in the next few years at senior level.

Take a bow lads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Young Phil Foden looks an outstanding prospect. We need to manage him carefully at City now. He looks a perfect fit for the way Pep likes to play. Well done to that group of lads. The second underage world cup this year.

A lot of gems coming through for England and they should be a major force to be reckoned with in the next few years at senior level.

Unless and until England rip up the senior management structures like they have the coaching at underage level there is no point in developing rough diamonds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Depends. Most are at Chelsea so are probably never kicking a ball for their senior team so see how they develop really. Foden has a wealth of talent ahead of him at City, Gomes is probably too small to play for Mourinho's United sadly.

Sancho, Brewster and Oakley - Boothe are probably the best hopes for developing in the immediate future, as they've a better shot at getting a chance at their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why are England in away colours at home?

The need to advertise the shirt.

A very scratch England side started slowly but have grown into the game, Loftus-Cheek looks handy.

A very scratch England side started slowly but have grown into the game, Loftus-Cheek looks handy.

He looks like a decent young player. Nice to see some of the younger lads getting a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Loftus-Cheek is a gem.

Abraham is a bit of a lump, can't sort his legs out quickly enough

With all the young players coming though England should really look to the future. No point bring the likes of Vardy, Hart, Henderson to the WC. They have proved time and again to not be good enough at this level. Give the young players a chance to get up to speed. Worst that can happen is they get knocked out at the group stage. They might spring a surprise. But the next WC they'll be one of the most experienced international teams.

With all the young players coming though England should really look to the future. No point bring the likes of Vardy, Hart, Henderson to the WC. They have proved time and again to not be good enough at this level. Give the young players a chance to get up to speed. Worst that can happen is they get knocked out at the group stage. They might spring a surprise. But the next WC they'll be one of the most experienced international teams.

I doubt any WC team has seen the WC finals to be a place to test out players for a tilt 4 years later...

Germany did that exactly. The likes of Hendo, Vardy, Hart are simply not good enough. Time to plan for the longer term view.

I think the number of drop outs for this game is actually a blessing. Southgate can move on.

Germany did that exactly. The likes of Hendo, Vardy, Hart are simply not good enough. Time to plan for the longer term view.

I think the number of drop outs for this game is actually a blessing. Southgate can move on.

I agree that the number of drop outs is a blessing. These young lads wouldn't have gotten onto the pitch against Germany otherwise. Vardy on form would be more than good enough to contribute to the team. Can't see him playing ahead of Kane, if Kane is on form but he certainly could be used as a very good impact sub. Can see why Chelsea keep loaning out Abraham, much polishing needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Berserker wrote:
    I agree that the number of drop outs is a blessing. These young lads wouldn't have gotten onto the pitch against Germany otherwise. Vardy on form would be more than good enough to contribute to the team. Can't see him playing ahead of Kane, if Kane is on form but he certainly could be used as a very good impact sub. Can see why Chelsea keep loaning out Abraham, much polishing needed.

You obviously haven't seen him for Swansea, he has got this cap for a lot of really good performances for them.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen him for Swansea, he has got this cap for a lot of really good performances for them.

No, I haven't to be fair. Seen him score a few goals for them on MOTD but haven't seen any full games.

He was pretty poor tonight, couldn't sort himself out quickly enough to get past his man/ball released, appeared to have an oil tanker turn.

Germany did that exactly...

Germany? In which WC did they drop their experienced players and not care if they were eliminated at the group stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When it comes to the crunch, all the big names will be on the plane and the young hopefuls left watching it on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I would take Vardy off that list he's a great option to bring off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

To honour those who died during the war they were pretending they lost the war and Germany were at home.

To honour those who died during the war they were pretending they lost the war and Germany were at home.

Well done you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

It was a poor game last night. England are boring to watch and i noticed the BBC had the headline that a makeshift England team held the World Champions who themsleves pretty much had a makeshift team. Do the press see it as a sucess that they held a makeshift German team to a scoreless draw?

Also whats up with the atmosphere in Wembley? 80,000 or so and you could almost hear people talking about their daily lives.

alta stare wrote: »
    Also whats up with the atmosphere in Wembley? 80,000 or so and you could almost hear people talking about their daily lives.

England home games are sanitised to the extreme now. Also, I think it's hard to generate an atmosphere in the new Wembley. WHL was a brilliant ground atmosphere wise but even Spurs fans are struggling to get to grips with Wembley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Berserker wrote: »
    England home games are sanitised to the extreme now. Also, I think it's hard to generate an atmosphere in the new Wembley. WHL was a brilliant ground atmosphere wise but even Spurs fans are struggling to get to grips with Wembley.

Surely a poor stadium design so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

alta stare wrote: »
    Surely a poor stadium design so.

Unfortunately these modern Stadia aren’t really designed for atmospheric reasons. All about getting as much corporate, prawn sandwich brigade into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Best atmosphere I've ever experienced at a football game was at a 35,000 attendance at the new Wembley. It's big but the right crowd can generate a huge amount of noise.

England games are mostly families and school kids.

• Advertisement

Tonight's side v Brazil

England: Hart; Gomez, Stones, Maguire; Walker, Dier, Livermore, Bertrand; Loftus-Cheek; Vardy, Rashford.

Brazil: Allison; Alves, Marquinhos, Miranda, Marcelo; Casemiro, Paulinho, Renato Augusto; Coutinho, Gabriel Jesus, Neymar.

Advertisement