Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Southgate needs to drop one of Alli/Sterling for RLC and get rid of the shiny waistcoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No balance. Henderson is well out numbered in central midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

you pick your team for the game you are playing though, Tunisia offered zero coming forward at all, so it doesn't matter really about Henderson being outnumbered.

England need to change something for the more difficult game against Belgium of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

you pick your team for the game you are playing though, Tunisia offered zero coming forward at all, so it doesn't matter really about Henderson being outnumbered.

England need to change something for the more difficult game against Belgium of course.

Only watched the highlights of their game today but they looked very tidy. Gonna learn an awful lot from the game against them.

England squad

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Very young looking (bar Lallana), but not very Ashley Young looking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Rice and Grealish not called up :)

Rice hasn't made his mind up yet.

I don't see either of them getting into the squad at the moment. Rice is closer, playing week in, week out for West Ham and playing reasonably well.

Gordon Banks one of the England 66 legends died overnight aged 81.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

The best goalkeeper to have ever played in an England shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's funny, I always thought he played for West Ham for some reason.

Could he be the best ever international footballer that had a mediocre club career, in terms of the profile of the clubs he played for? A league cup title each for Leicester and Stoke is all he won at club level, and I wouldn't say Chesterfield can lay claim to many World Cup winning former players either.

Undoubted icon of the game though.

The reason you thought that is because the entire England squad did in fact play for West Ham in the mid 60s! ;)

Declan Rice has declared for us. Very good young player.

IT Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Berserker wrote: »
    Declan Rice has declared for us. Very good young player.

IT Link

Thank fook he has finally made up his mind! Now people can move on from the speculation and often vitriolic comments on him for taking time out to decide his future international career. Apart from England's genuine potential as a young squad I will speculate myself that with Brexit and the possibility of the EPL toying with the idea of reintroducing quotas on 'foreign' players that both himself and his club would have had that as a consideration. Best of luck to him even if its a disappointment that he didnt chose us when we so are lacking some real quality. Another part of this is the Stephen Kenny has said on a few occasions that he is only interested in players that are fully committed to Ireland and not players that are trawling for some international chances. The system has served us in the past but the increasingly limited opportunities for young Irish players in England especially means we will have to look closer to home to develp our players and again with Brexit maybe there will be an increase in our better players going to the continant for the higher level of football - which will serve us better in the medium to long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's funny, I always thought he played for West Ham for some reason.

Unrelated but West Ham had a keeper called Banks in the early 90s and as a kid I thought it was Gordon. Said it at school one day and looked very foolish :(

Lovely news about Rice.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Lovely news about Rice.

too soon man, too soon :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The reason you thought that is because the entire England squad did in fact play for West Ham in the mid 60s! ;)

He played a few games for St Pats.

It was just after he lost an eye in a car crash.

RIP

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Squad being announced for the upcoming games. Looks like the Declan Rice is going to get a call up. Reading elsewhere that he won the FAI Young player of the year award. Did the FAI not get the memo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Potential England team for next world cup looks pretty decent, just thinking about this after watching Foden for Man City against Spurs.

Pickford/Butland
    Walker/Alexander-Arnold
    Maguire/Stones/Gomez/Keane/Tarkowski
    Rose/Chilwell
    Henderson/Dier/Winks/Rice/Foden/Alli/Maddison/Loftus-Cheek
    Sterling/Kane/Rashford/Wilson/Hudson-Odoi/Sancho

I'm sure I've forgotten one or two.

Could add Rhian Brewster and Ox-Cham to that list.

Most worried about the keepers. Pickford is likely to be #1 and he's prone to the odd gaff. Prefer Butland but he needs to move back into the top tier and that's not going to happen with Stoke.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Potential England team for next world cup looks pretty decent, just thinking about this after watching Foden for Man City against Spurs.

Pickford/Butland
    Walker/Alexander-Arnold
    Maguire/Stones/Gomez/Keane/Tarkowski
    Rose/Chilwell
    Henderson/Dier/Winks/Rice/Foden/Alli/Maddison/Loftus-Cheek
    Sterling/Kane/Rashford/Wilson/Hudson-Odoi/Sancho

I'm sure I've forgotten one or two.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka is another. You can make a pretty decent team of young technically competent players now

England in 2024? Anyone know a younger goalie? :D

Butland
    Wan-Bissaka---Gomez---Stones--Chilwell
    Rice
    Alex-Arnold---Loftus-Cheek
    ---Sancho
    Brewster
    Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Aaron Wan-Bissaka is another. You can make a pretty decent team of young technically competent players now

Butland
    Rice
    ---Sancho
    Brewster
    Sterling

Do you think Alexander Arnold will end up playing that role in the future?

At some point, it's also not unheard of to move a player position for one team. I could see his passing and crossing being used higher up the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Butland
    Rice
    ---Sancho
    Brewster
    Sterling

Brewster? May as well say Greenwood.

I might, but I won't - Brewster is going to be part of the first team next season and it is my 2024 side remember.

On the topic of keepers, look like Butland is on the move to Palace or Bournemouth. Really good news from the perspective of the national team. An in form Jack Butland, who's playing regularly is in the XI for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Butland
    Rice
    ---Sancho
    Brewster
    Sterling

Dean henderson will be England number 1 he keeps progressing

Nathan Redmond included in the squad for the Nations league finals. Here is the squad in full :

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Danny Rose (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham) Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

England fans reverting to type in Portugal ahead of their game.

Very youthful England squad (plus Henderson!)

https://twitter.com/England/status/1179742898562035712

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Very youthful England squad (plus Henderson!)

Trippier and Rose are the same age as Henderson (and Delph is the same birth year anyways)

Advertisement