Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Decent win for England, now difficult trip to Ukraine. Draw would be a good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jack Wilshire turns into Little Englander
    According to Fifa statutes a player is eligible to play for a country if he has "lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 in the territory of the relevant association", meaning Januzaj would have to wait until 2018, when he is 23, to be able to represent England. "No, for me, if you are English, you are English, and you play for England," said Wilshere, who is hoping to gain an 11th cap against Montenegro on Friday. "The only people who should play for England are English people.

"If you've lived in England for five years, for me, it doesn't make you English. You shouldn't play. It doesn't mean you can play for that country. If I went to Spain and lived there for five years, I'm not going to play for Spain. For me an English player should play for England really." Asked whether the same criteria should apply to managers of the national side, the midfielder added: "I think it's better if there is an Englishman [in charge], but don't get me wrong, Fabio Capello did a lot for my England career. He brought me here, gave me my debut and stuck with me form a young age, so he was a good manager as well."

John Barnes says hi! (so does Terry Butcher ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

He isn't wrong. You don't have to have been born in a country to represent them but you should identify with them. I may be wrong but none of the quotes I've read from this Wilshere story today have said that he thinks only people born in England should play for the England team.

Januzaj isn't English under any real definition of the word. He wasn't born there, hasn't got English parentage, didn't move there at a young age and wasn't schooled there. He should represent the country that he feels he belongs to.

Far more concerning than the headline comments about nationality is Wilshere's claim that England shouldn't try to be technical and should leave that to the Spanish. Having a strong tackle and great workrate isn't enough and shouldn't be seen as enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Januzaj continues to develop he'll probably be in the Belgium squad after the WC anyway so its a pointless debate but Jacks comments dont make for great reading really.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Januzaj continues to develop he'll probably be in the Belgium squad after the WC anyway so its a pointless debate but Jacks comments dont make for great reading really.

Why don't they make for good reading? If someone doesn't consider themselves English then they have no business playing for England. If someone doesn't consider themselves Irish then they have no business playing for Ireland either.

Januzaj has rejected Belgium again this week when they tried to call him up for this weekend's games. He has no intention of playing for them because he does not identify himself as being Belgian and all power to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jack Wilshere ‏@JackWilshere 2h
    Anyway....training was decent today, I even managed to score again! With my right foot! #wishingtraininggoalscounted
    Expand
    I wish he was English! I'm sure most of you agree with me even if some journalist are trying to make me look bad....again!
    Expand
    The question was should foreign players be allowed to play for England, and in my opinion I don't think they should! He is a great player...
    Expand
    Just to clarify a few things....again! Seems to be a trend in this country, poor journalism in my eyes! I wasn't referring to Janujaz...
    Expand

Guy said absolutely nothing wrong. The world's gone PC mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ive read a few times janujaz is snubbing belgium for albania anyways but its ricidulous the notion of him playing for england was entertained atall tbh, they might aswell give mikel arteta a call up too while they're at it.

Seen this too
    When asked about whether foreign players should be allowed to play for England, Wilshere had replied: "We have to remember what we are. We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat.

Bit rich coming from a lad who spent half the west brom game on the deck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

klose wrote: »
    Ive read a few times janujaz is snubbing belgium for albania anyways but its ricidulous the notion of him playing for england was entertained atall tbh, they might aswell give mikel arteta a call up too while they're at it.

Seen this too

Bit rich coming from a lad who spent half the west brom game on the deck

It would be a "bit rich" if he conplained about the treatment he was getting. The fact that he was getting little protection from the ref is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »
    Jack Wilshire turns into Little Englander

John Barnes says hi! (so does Terry Butcher ;) )

And 3 quarters of anyone who's ever played for Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the rumoured front 6 for England tonight...

Gerrard, Lampard, Townsend, Welbeck, Rooney, Sturridge.

that midfield. ouch. i'm assuming it's 4-4-2. but anyway, yeah. ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

SlickRic wrote: »
    the rumoured front 6 for England tonight...

Gerrard, Lampard, Townsend, Welbeck, Rooney, Sturridge.

that midfield. ouch. i'm assuming it's 4-4-2. but anyway, yeah. ouch.

Really annoying how Lampard keeps playing (and doing f**k all) when Carrick is sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs.

Lampard is usually one of England's top performers. If Carrick should come in for either of them it should be Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Lampard is usually one of England's top performers. If Carrick should come in for either of them it should be Gerrard.

Really? i haven't seen him play really well for ages. Ideally, i'd like to see both dropped and younger talent brought in tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tbh neither Gerrard or Lampard should start but if in was forced to choose then it would be Gerrard on the bench.

Keane really layed into Joe Hart a few mins ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Tbh neither Gerrard or Lampard should start but if in was forced to choose then it would be Gerrard on the bench.

Keane really layed into Joe Hart a few mins ago.

The beard has spoken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Rooney missed a sitter, Townsend the only shining light.

England could take off a CB and put Carrick in. At least the team would have someone to link defence to the midfield. Gerrard and Lampard just want to stay forward all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

It must be what, ten years later on and gerrard and lampard are still starting in midfield. Even me dog knows it just dosent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Looks like job done for England this evening, fair play to them

• Advertisement

Might as well give us the trophy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Had about 4 or 5 great chances to score and kill the game then concede

Urgh. Just know we'll have 20 minutes sitting behind the ball now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

2-1, disaster giving away that goal. Nervous end to the game now.

Fuppin get in Townsend. Hopefully can relax for rest of game, but doubt it.

Nah, job done. Time to think about Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Wasn't convinced by that performance. I don't think Rooney got involved enough, Townsend didn't use his right foot and stifled attacking moves by cutting inside (And then showed he had a right foot with that belter of a goal) and the midfield was cut through too easily.

Not sold on Rooney and Sturridge together yet. There were flashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

England XI: Hart, Smalling, Baines, Gerrard, Cahill, Jagielka, Townsend, Carrick, Sturridge, Rooney, Welbeck

Poland XI: Szczęsny, Celeban, Jędrzejczyk, Glik, Wojtkowiak, Krychowiak, M Lewandowski, Błaszczykowski, Mierzejewski, Sobota, R Lewandowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Cmon England. 3 more points and we're over the line

Going to miss the first half because of work, but that could be a good thing!

Nervous enough now, Gerrard needs to pass the ball a bit better today hopefully.

Seen loads of references to that game against Croatia in 2007 today. Coming out of Wembley that night in the pouring rain was an all time footballing low for me. I'll take a 1-0 here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Noise is incredible from the Polish fans

Gerrard is playing like a passenger tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gerrard is playing like a passenger tonight.
    Yeah, he let his marker go......................

I'll get my coat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Reckon Poland will score here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

England need to get Januzaj on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

In his favour,gerrards set piece delivery has been excellent

Morzadec wrote: »

One of the best in the game at the moment. So many players hit the first man. Sturridge is driving me mad tonight. He'll probably score now, fingers crossed.

Edit : What a miss!

Jesus Christ Welbeck!!

How is this 0-0?!

And Gerrard hits the first man. :mad:

COYW wrote: »
    One of the best in the game at the moment. So many players hit the first man. Sturridge is driving me mad tonight. He'll probably score now, fingers crossed.

Edit : What a miss!

He hits the first man every time for Liverpool.

Should have been a pen for England there. Defender had his arm wrapped around Sturridges neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Think id have a Love/Hate thing going on with Townsend if he was playing for my team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Cracking game this.

Should have been a pen for England there. Defender had his arm wrapped around Sturridges neck.

Thought that myself on the pen. This can't stay at 0-0 for much longer. The Poles are riding their luck big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Unfortunately for England, most of the chances seem to be falling to Welbeck.

England need to score asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Bambi on ice. Everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I was asking myself, why doesnt Sturridge ever pass the ball?

Then Welbeck took several shots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

England need to score asap.

Rooney!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rooooooneeeeeeyy!!!

Advertisement