Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get Rooney off and Sturridge down the middle or better still get all the LFC players off!

Luke Shaw on for Cole second half which will be good for him (should have started)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gerrard is the holding player and he is getting the furthest forward, sonething wrong there. Sturridge is a better out and striker than rooney and is been shunted out to the wing not to mention he is the form attacking player and should be in his natural position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Not sure about the tactics but I like the lineup. Swap Rooney and Sturridge and bring a defender in for Smalling and tonight's starting XI would be my starting XI against Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

How many bloody times has Tyldesley called Sterling Sturridge?

Hart got something in the way alright! :pac:

Too many wasteful shots from distance.

Finally the Sotonpool linkage works. Sturridge from Lallana cross from a Sterling won corner.

Great cross and great header from Daniel Sterling.

Hart 7
    Johnson 6
    Cahill 6
    Smalling 5
    Cole 6 (Shaw 6)
    Gerrard 7
    Hendo 5 (Milner 5)
    Wilshire 5 (Lallana 8)
    Sterling 7 (Ox 5)
    Rooney 3 (Welbeck 6)
    Sturridge 7

Hodgson 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hart look composed which is a good sign, not bombarded at any time though. Lallana was excellent, Cole looked good in the first half considering he isn't getting a sniff of club football. Dull game on the whole, but most friendlies are, and nice to get a win.

• Advertisement

If Hodgson wants to get anywhere in the world cup he needs to play Sturridge as the focal point of his attack not a busted flush like Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

hard to believe Man Utd are paying Rooney 300k a week
    Sturridge has to play through the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

MD1990 wrote: »

How the media don't get on his back.

He was useless again, his legs are gone, he makes Sturridge look like an olympic sprinter

United will regret paying him 300k a week shortly enough.

Fergie dropped him for Van Persie for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm a little biased in this as I would've liked to see Forster get some time on the pitch but is playing Hart for 90 mins in a friendly not a little strange given that none of the backup keepers have a lot of experience at this level?

If Hart was to get injured before the WC it'd leave England in a pretty awkward situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This was the last game before the squad is picked and I think Hodgson started with a team that he likes and then put in players he sees being very involved.

The story of last night was Adam Lallana, when he came on he added a new dimension to the England mdfield/attack that was missing before his introduction. He has been doing this stuff all season for Southampton and its not about the assist last night but just what he does on the pitch. He is always looking to make himself available, he is not afraid to make a mistake which makes him very dangerous to opposing teams because he has the skill to make his little tricks work.

I think he has to start for England in the World Cup and I think he is the first name that should be on the teamsheet. I'd build my team around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

MD1990 wrote: »
    Staggering, isn't it? The way the English media talk about him, you'd think he was some sort of Messi/Ronaldo hybrid. He's done precious little for England in major tournaments since Euro 2004. Very, very poor last night. Then again, the same could be said for more or less the whole team last night. If they get out of their group in Brazil, they'll be doing well. And I say that as an England fan. They are a very average side, with a defence that doesn't inspire confidence. Not enough (any?) truly world class players in the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm a little biased in this as I would've liked to see Forster get some time on the pitch but is playing Hart for 90 mins in a friendly not a little strange given that none of the backup keepers have a lot of experience at this level?

If Hart was to get injured before the WC it'd leave England in a pretty awkward situation

I think Hodgson felt he needed his six substitutions to be for his outfielders. He had 27 outfielders in the squad and could only use a maximum of 16 of them (10 outfield starters and 6 more off the bench)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I didnt see the game last night so could i ask how did gerrard and henderson get on, how did they play together, was gerard sitting deep and henderson roaming around, or how did they go about it?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I didnt see the game last night so could i ask how did gerrard and henderson get on, how did they play together, was gerard sitting deep and henderson roaming around, or how did they go about it?

Gerrard was ok. Played some great passes and tackled well but Denmark were able to get past him far too easy. Henderson just ran around not doing anything good or bad.

• Advertisement

Gerrard sprayed some lovely passes and made some good tackles, but Henderson was absolutely anonymous.

I'd say he was just told to sit and shield which given Denamrk came for a point with a clean sheet would be a typical misread from Hodgson - I think Hendo was in the opposition peno area once during open play.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

my starting england team for world cup

hart

johnson cahill jagielka baines

wilshere gerrard

sterling lallana ox

sturridge

impact subs
    rooney,hendo,townsend.

queue mass hysteria about dropping rooney. i am a utd fan but he doesnt fit in this system. liverpool are best team this season who have a few english players so they should play like them just as italy play like juve. not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

unplayable wrote: »
    my starting england team for world cup

hart

johnson cahill jagielka baines

wilshere gerrard

sterling lallana ox

sturridge

impact subs
    rooney,hendo,townsend.

queue mass hysteria about dropping rooney. i am a utd fan but he doesnt fit in this system. liverpool are best team this season who have a few english players so they should play like them just as italy play like juve. not rocket science.

Rooney won't be dropped though. Honestly, can you see Hodgson doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Wilshere may not recover in time either ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Also Wilshire has been poor the last few weeks so the CM position is up for grabs next to Gerrard IMO.

• Advertisement

Johnson--Cahill-Jags-Baines
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Sterling----Lallana--Welbeck
    Sturridge

would be my starting 11 and yes I'd also leave Rooney at home.

He is simply to badly conditioned to survive a world cup group stage in Brazil, never mind knockout games.

Rooney is the first name on the team sheet. Quite deservedly too.
    Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Cole

Henderson Gerrard Wilshere

Stirling Sturridge Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Rooney is the first name on the team sheet. Quite deservedly too.
    Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Cole

Henderson Gerrard Wilshere

Stirling Sturridge Rooney

If he was that good surely you would have him in his natural position and not just filling a gap? Rooney out wide is a terrible option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

mike65 wrote: »
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Sturridge

He is simply to badly conditioned to survive a world cup group stage in Brazil, never mind knockout games.

Brutal team Mike

Hart

Johnson--Jagielka--Cahill--Cole

Gerrard----Barry

Sterling
    Rooney
    Ox

Sturridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Watching the game what struck me most was how far a part the England midfield trio was when they had possession.

Wilshire getting much too far ahead of the play far too early. Henderson looked to be playing with restraints on.

The trio should be much closer together or it completely defeats the purpose of the formation/ system.

As a result England in possession were laboured and predictable. If the three lads were playing little triangles it would be shifting the opposition around and creating space in front of the opp back fout for Rooney.

I thought it was fairly obvious what the issue was after 15 mins. Should have been corrected at ht.

England should go with a youthful quick and mobile squad for this world cup. Id leave Lampard at home. Lallana and Barkley could be inspired selections if Hodgson has the stones to make the big calls.

His conservative nature suggests otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Gerrard
    Hendo
    Sturridge

Wow, just wow, that comment about Rooney is mind blowing. As if you have any idea or authority to make a judgement like that. I respect that people have different opinions but something like this is just so misguided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

yes I'd also leave Rooney at home.

Jeez man you might see him not start a game but there is no way Rooney would be left out of the squad. The media would go into frenzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hiding to nothing tonight for England, win big and it's expected, don't win big and it's a catastrophe.

They're a horrible team to watch, San Marino. Most of the other minnows show some sign of improvement but these guys still approach every game seeing a 4-0 defeat as being a great result.

I'd love to see us tank them.

I appreciate England aren't a great team to watch either....

Took England long enough to score!

penalty!

nice from Towsend.

4-0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Chambers getting the run around by San Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I love training videos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Brilliant video. Great to see them working.

• Advertisement

Sturridge injured - HK18 to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sturridge injured - HK18 to start?

I think he would have anyway.

So yes.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I think he would have anyway.

So yes.

nope, Uncle Roy said yesterday that he was starting on the bench.

nope, Uncle Roy said yesterday that he was starting on the bench.

Fair enough, missed that.

He surely starts now though.

Where though?

Right up top, with Roo and Sterling either side.

As one of the two behind Roo?

Where though?

Right up top, with Roo and Sterling either side.

As one of the two behind Roo?

I'd go Kane up top with Rooney and Sterling either side. Rooney and Kane could switch fluidly enough.

Having said all that, Roy may well just go Welbeck and Sterling either side of Rooney.

yeah, probably, and bring on HK from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If I could unthank that, I would. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A glorious England win, 5 nil.

I'd settle for any win tbh.

Advertisement