Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

**** you UTV Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

See other thread. UPC are fielding lots of live queries tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Should've scored......

Second times the charm for Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Went to top up my beer and we are one nil up, lovely.

• Advertisement

Scrappy goal in a scrappy half. Comfortable though now, my 5 nil is on.

Typical Welbeck goal. Half miss hit, half accident....and nobody is quite sure what happened. :p

Remember when England had any number of great centre back parings?

Remember when England had any number of great centre back parings?

Not really tested here thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Reason why england fail at major tournaments .......: I'm going to say its the media because i'm watching this game and there on ITV and there wetting themselves that england will have maximum points and he pointed out also that holland and germany both have **** points totals......

Don't know where to start really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Reason why england fail at major tournaments .......: I'm going to say its the media because i'm watching this game and there on ITV and there wetting themselves that england will have maximum points and he pointed out also that holland and germany both have **** points totals......

Don't know where to start really

I just thought the same. Just a few months since the disappointing WC, and they already make the team out to be contenders and world beaters again. All that after 4 wins in the (IMO) weakest of all qualifying groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I like England i really do and would love for them to do well but its painfully obvious there not good enough , I'm watching them now and there style hasn't really changed , this game plan is fine and good against the likes of Lithuaina but soon as they meet top top drawer opposition they'll be found out again...and poor Roy will probably pay for it with his job

and the answer aint to limit the foreigners either infact much the opposite , when england reached the semi's in Italia 90 a good lot of there experienced players played outside of England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

HAHAHA of course...Kane replaces Rooney, Kane gets into the box, gets a header, boom back of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What a year Harry Kane is having!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well Harry is the man of the moment fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And there it is. Harry Kane has just been christened Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hahaha!
    Fair play.

Great way to start his first England game, pressure will be heaped on him even more now though. Like him though, and he's keen to still play for under 21s

Clubs contributions to England by the numbers

Tottenham
    Aston Villa

Liverpool
    Everton
    Man United
    Arsenal

Blackburn Rovers-48
    Manchester City 45
    Chelsea
    Sheffield Wed---43
    West Brom Albion-43

Derby County----39
    West Ham United-39
    Nottingham Forest-37
    Newcastle United--35
    Sheffield United---34
    Wolvers Wanderers-34
    Southampton
    Leeds United
    Middlesborough----30

Bolton Wanderers--28
    Sunderland
    Burnley
    Stoke City
    Huddersfield Town--21

Birmingham City----17
    Notts County
    Crystal Palace
    Leicester City
    Portsmouth
    QPR
    Preston North End--15
    Blackpool
    Charlton Athletic---12
    Fulham
    Ipswich Town
    Luton Town

Millwall
    Norwich City
    Rangers
    Bury
    Bradford
    Bristol City
    Coventry City
    Oldham Athletic
    Reading
    Brighton Hove Albion-3
    Grimsby Town
    Watford
    Brentford
    Leyton Orient
    Celtic
    Wigan Athletic
    Wimbledon
    Barnsley
    Bristol Rovers
    Cardiff City
    Crewe Alexandra ----1
    Darlington
    Hibernian
    Stockport County---1
    Swindon Town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Congrats to Wayne Rooney, 50 up :D

The player who will beat his tally might well not have been born yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I was watching the game last night and the lads on ITV were falling over themselves about Rooney's tally, they were making such a big deal about it as if nobody from the British isles or Ireland had never done such a thing......have they forgot about Robbie Keane or is it pure ignorance by the British media again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

obezyana wrote: »
    I was watching the game last night and the lads on ITV were falling over themselves about Rooney's tally, they were making such a big deal about it as if nobody from the British isles or Ireland had never done such a thing......have they forgot about Robbie Keane or is it pure ignorance by the British media again?

Why would they give a **** about Roy Keane?

Why would they give a **** about Roy Keane?

Who said anything about Roy Keane?

It's a British television channel showing an England game, they also have didn't mention any other countries leading scorers because they are an irrelevance in this situation. British press have been damned on this site for linking British and Irish achievements before, now there is an issue with them NOT linking them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

For goodness sake.

It's a British television channel showing an England game, they also have didn't mention any other countries leading scorers because they are an irrelevance in this situation. British press have been damned on this site for linking British and Irish achievements before, now there is an issue with them NOT linking them?

They were praising Rooney's achievement as if he was the only guy in the world of football to reach that milestone I was curious as to why they didn't bother mentioning the other players that have got more than him irrespective of the country they play for. They seemed to come across as if he was the top scorer of all time.

The BBC ran with a chart showing various players ratios of goals & games and guess what, they omitted Robbie Keane. This is not an Ireland England thing it is more so about how the English media love hyping anything to do with their team or players. Sky Sports love jumping on that bandwagon aswell. With England having such a good setup I find it strange that any of their strikers don't have more than 50 goals so the hype they are creating is ridiculous. Keane's achievement is more impressive than Rooney's yet Keane get vilified for the most part from the Irish media, I guess the Irish media aren't as caught up in themselves as their counterparts across the Irish sea.

Next it will be England to win the Euros because they have a 50 goal striker and they are unbeaten in their very easy group. :pac:

They were praising Rooney's achievement as if he was the only guy in the world of football to reach that milestone I was curious as to why they didn't bother mentioning the other players that have got more than him irrespective of the country they play for. They seemed to come across as if he was the top scorer of all time.

The BBC ran with a chart showing various players ratios of goals & games and guess what, they omitted Robbie Keane. This is not an Ireland England thing it is more so about how the English media love hyping anything to do with their team or players. Sky Sports love jumping on that bandwagon aswell. With England having such a good setup I find it strange that any of their strikers don't have more than 50 goals so the hype they are creating is ridiculous. Keane's achievement is more impressive than Rooney's yet Keane get vilified for the most part from the Irish media, I guess the Irish media aren't as caught up in themselves as their counterparts across the Irish sea.

Next it will be England to win the Euros because they have a 50 goal striker and they are unbeaten in their very easy group. :pac:

He is the only man in the world of football to reach 50 goals for HIS country, England, he is the top scorer in the world for HIS country, England.

I haven't seen the chart you mention, how about you scroll down in this article from the BBC website, have a look at selected top scorers in International football chart

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32053848

In fact don't bother, here it is

_85443995_topscorers1.png

F*ckers never mention Ali Daei from Iran, it's like he doesn't play for England and therefore can't break any national records for England either.

Here's another article where Robbie Keane doesn't get a look in, those anti-Irish b*stards at the BBC didn't include him in the England's Greatest ever Striker? debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34179398

• Advertisement

He is the only man in the world of football to reach 50 goals for HIS country, England, he is the top scorer in the world for HIS country, England.

I haven't seen the chart you mention, how about you scroll down in this article from the BBC website, have a look at selected top scorers in International football chart

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32053848

In fact don't bother, here it is

_85443995_topscorers1.png

F*ckers never mention Ali Daei from Iran, it's like he doesn't play for England and therefore can't break any national records for England either.

Here's another article where Robbie Keane doesn't get a look in, those anti-Irish b*stards at the BBC didn't include him in the England's Greatest ever Striker? debate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34179398

You are being very silly now ;) Did I hurt your feelings by dismissing Rooney's achievement :rolleyes: OK I get it he is the greatest striker ever to grace a football pitch for England........ I hope the media don't get carried away and run with it until the Euros next summer which im guessing they will cause as it stands it will be England to win the Euros etc etc......

England = Good team, Quality players, Decent manager all overly hyped by their excitable media which all leads to every tournament they take part in being a shambles. But hey at least they get there eh.

You are being very silly now ;) Did I hurt your feelings by dismissing Rooney's achievement :rolleyes: OK I get it he is the greatest striker ever to grace a football pitch for England........ I hope the media don't get carried away and run with it until the Euros next summer which im guessing they will cause as it stands it will be England to win the Euros etc etc......

England = Good team, Quality players, Decent manager all overly hyped by their excitable media which all leads to every tournament they take part in being a shambles. But hey at least they get there eh.

Upset? I'm Not the one bleating on about an Irishman not being discussed in the context of England's all time leading scorer. That would be you. You whined that Keane didn't get a mention in some BBC chart or another, I have shown you a chart from the BBC website that does. Being silly how?

So in a previous post you said this wasn't an Ireland England thing, and your subsequent posts REALLY back that up don't they. I don't even like Rooney much but your posts really are a load of bulls*it.

This wasn't just any old record in England. Growing up in England in the 80s the talk was always of Charlton's 49 goals and the excitement built as Lineker drew closer and closer to it. Then Lineker missed his penalty against Brazil, went to Euro 92 and got hauled off in favour of Alan Smith and suddenly that was that.

Then Michael Owen seemed set to smash the record but injury after injury took their toll and he dropped short.

So yeah it is an achievement for Rooney to have gone past a record which a genuine legend of football in England has held for decades.

I watched the coverage last night and the emphasis was constantly on the record being an English one. Why on Earth would anyone talk about Robbie Keane?

Had Keane been mentioned I bet this place would have been full of comments about the English seeing Ireland as being part of the same country.

Upset? Not the one bleating on about an Irishman not being discussed in the context of England's all time scorer. You whined that Keane didn't get a mention in some BBC chart or another, I have shown you a chart from the BBC website that does. Being silly how?

So in a previous post you said this wasn't an Ireland England thing, and your subsequent posts REALLY back that up don't they. I don't even like Rooney much but your posts really are a load of bulls*it.

It seems they added Keane into the chart as when it was first published he was not on it. There was a bit if a back lash on Twitter about it so they obviously realised their mistake and put him on it....So all is good in the world eh.

It isn't an Ireland England thing, I am talking about the media hyping things up. I would actually like to see England do well as given all of their resources and the money they pump into the game over there they could do with winning a major tournament. I am not of the opinion just because im Irish that I don't want to see them do well I just don't understand the way their media hype them up at every opportunity they get while at the same time they forget that others are better or have achieved more. This Rooney story will run for weeks on SSN and it will move from that to England being great and winning the Euros. It is all a load of tripe and the media surely must know at this stage to keep things low key until the tournament is over.

Now it would seem as if you are making it an Ireland V England thing with your reaction, it is all a bit silly really.

Now it would seem as if you are making it an Ireland V England thing with your reaction, it is all a bit silly really.

Oh yeah, that's it all right. That must be what's happened. I'm off to whine to the bbc about the other 30 odd people (or more, who cares?) in world football who have scored more than Rooney but didn't make it onto the graph.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This wasn't just any old record in England. Growing up in England in the 80s the talk was always of Charlton's 49 goals and the excitement built as Lineker drew closer and closer to it. Then Lineker missed his penalty against Brazil, went to Euro 92 and got hauled off in favour of Alan Smith and suddenly that was that.

Then Michael Owen seemed set to smash the record but injury after injury took their toll and he dropped short.

So yeah it is an achievement for Rooney to have gone past a record which a genuine legend of football in England has held for decades.

I watched the coverage last night and the emphasis was constantly on the record being an English one. Why on Earth would anyone talk about Robbie Keane?

Had Keane been mentioned I bet this place would have been full of comments about the English seeing Ireland as being part of the same country.

I know this is a big thing for England I am not disputing that but the way the media are portraying it is that he is a great goal scorer when in essence he is not.

I agree that some people may jump to conclusions about Keane and the English Irish same country thing but the media here would not big Keane up like that which IMO is a shame to some extent as his record is impressive....more impressive than Rooney's, Drogba, Ibrahimovic, C Ronaldo, Henry... etc etc.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, that's it all right. That must be what's happened. I'm off to whine to the bbc about the other 30 odd people in world football who have scored more than Rooney but didn't make it onto the graph.

Haha you are a very silly person that appears to get ruffled very easily. :D

I recommend you go take a nap it will do you the world of good.;)

Haha you are a very silly person that appears to get ruffled very easily. :D

I recommend you go take a nap it will do you the world of good.;)

Yep I remember coming on to this thread all ruffled up about the british media and an omission of a foreign national in a discussion of the England national team scoring record, yes I definitely come across as the one who gets ruffled over nothing.

Now, which smilie to add, they are all so great, no can't pick, I'll make do without.

I know this is a big thing for England I am not disputing that but the way the media are portraying it is that he is a great goal scorer when in essence he is not.

I agree that some people may jump to conclusions about Keane and the English Irish same country thing but the media here would not big Keane up like that which IMO is a shame to some extent as his record is impressive....more impressive than Rooney's, Drogba, Ibrahimovic, C Ronaldo, Henry... etc etc.

What will really blow your mind then is that I distinctly remember Keane breaking the Irish record at a young age and getting mountains of positive press in England.

Yep I remember coming on to this thread all ruffled up about the british media and an omission of a foreign national in a discussion of the England national team scoring record, yes I definitely come across as the one who gets ruffled over nothing.

Now, which smilie to add, they are all so great, no can't pick, I'll make do without.

Here Ill pick one for you. :mad: I think it represents you very well.
    What will really blow your mind then is that I distinctly remember Keane breaking the Irish record at a young age and getting mountains of positive press in England.

That does not blow my mind at all and he was worthy of it as he done it at a young age.....not at the age Rooney achieved it at...oh and lets not forget he won the Nations Cup at International level....better than Wayne*:D

* Dozen Wicked Words....this is a joke so don't get all mad ok.

That does not blow my mind at all and he was worthy of it as he done it at a young age.....not at the age Rooney achieved it at...oh and lets not forget he won the Nations Cup at International level....better than Wayne*:D

Thankfully you communicate best in smilies so I knew you were joking, nothing puts your point across better.

• Advertisement

Thankfully you communicate best in smilies so I knew you were joking, nothing puts your point across better.

Nothing like a smile to make some ones day.

Anyway, lets hug it out?

Anyway, lets hug it out?

Ah yeah no problems...if only there was a smiley for hugging :D

By the way I did not come on this thread to troll or piss folks off I merely came on to put Keane's record on the table and to point out the fact the media were over hyping Rooney's record when if it is put into comparison with other strikers in international football its not all that impressive.

Who know maybe if Ireland reach the Euros we will be in a group containing England and Wayne and Robbie can have a shoot off.

Ah yeah no problems...if only there was a smiley for hugging :D

By the way I did not come on this thread to troll or piss folks off I merely came on to put Keane's record on the table and to point out the fact the media were over hyping Rooney's record when if it is put into comparison with other strikers in international football its not all that impressive.

Who know maybe if Ireland reach the Euros we will be in a group containing England and Wayne and Robbie can have a shoot off.

Just looking at Keane's record on Wiki, Rooney has (I think) five goals more than Keane had got when he turned 30.

Keane will definitely end up with more as there's no way that Rooney is still playing upfront for England at 35 and I wouldn't back him to score eight in a calendar year again as Keane did twice in his fourth decade.

Just looking at Keane's record on Wiki, Rooney has (I think) five goals more than Keane had got when he turned 30.

Keane will definitely end up with more as there's no way that Rooney is still playing upfront for England at 35 and I wouldn't back him to score eight in a calendar year again as Keane did twice in his fourth decade.

Rooney is a better player, Keane is a better striker. I actually think Rooney would be better suited to the number 10 role with Kane up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney is a better player, Keane is a better striker. I actually think Rooney would be better suited to the number 10 role with Kane up front.

Big fan of King Robbie but Rooney is and was a far better striker than Robbie and has the record to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Danny Ings called up for England.

This is exactly what's wrong with the England national team. He had a good season for Burnley last year and wasn't given a sniff, 4 league games (2 as a substitute) for Liverpool and he's straight in.

And yet people wonder why young players are happy to go and sit on the bench at bigger clubs.

Last season he was a mainstay of the U21s, had he been drafted in to the seniors (along with Harry Kane) there would have been much nashing of teeth I imagine.

Kane isn't sitting on the bench at Liverpool either.

Ings is a perfect example of a player moving through the system at the right pace. He has graduated the U21s, got a whole year Premier League football under his belt and then got his call up when a number of players ahead of him in the queue were out injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

But he hasn't done anything remotely worthy of call up? Hes shown far less this season than he did last season, which wasn't enough either, but hes been called up by default as hes an English player at one of the top 6 clubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement