Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paully D wrote: »
    Danny Ings called up for England.

This is exactly what's wrong with the England national team. He had a good season for Burnley last year and wasn't given a sniff, 4 league games (2 as a substitute) for Liverpool and he's straight in.

And yet people wonder why young players are happy to go and sit on the bench at bigger clubs.

Danny Ings is questionable, Dele Alli is WTF?
    It used to require a season or 2 of being a stand out player to get a call up, now 4 or 5 games will do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

AdamD wrote: »
    But he hasn't done anything remotely worthy of call up? Hes shown far less this season than he did last season, which wasn't enough either, but hes been called up by default as hes an English player at one of the top 6 clubs.

He has been called up because a number of other players are injured and he's next cab on the rank. Ings has been in the England setup for years.

If what you are saying is true then surely Jordan Ibe and Joe Gomez would be in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Beefy78 wrote: »
    He has been called up because a number of other players are injured and he's next cab on the rank. Ings has been in the England setup for years.

If what you are saying is true then surely Jordan Ibe and Joe Gomez would be in the squad.

Before the end of the season they both will be tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rooney out tomorrow so it'll be Kane and Walcott one imagines unless the Hodge goes for 4-3-3 and includes Ings or Vardy.

The place is half empty.

England: Hart, Clyne, Smalling, Cahill, Bertrand, Lallana, Milner, Barkley, Walcott, Kane, Sterling.

Subs: Walker, Butland, Jones, Chamberlain, Jagielka, Townsend, Shelvey, Vardy, Alli, Gibbs, Heaton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Pitch doesn't look bad considering they had American football on it on Sunday

True and the rugger, much better than the early years when the turf came apart alarmingly at times.

England side missing a proper striker tonight I think.

Inspiring stuff so far. Glorified friendly though really.

Nice goal, great pass, good finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Lovely pass by Barkley to say up that goal

Atmosphere is electric (blanket)

Better this half from England.

Very unselfish from Vardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Nine wins from nine. My God, we're good. ;)

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Nine wins from nine. My God, we're good. ;)

If there are more formidable opponents in world football than Estonia I've yet to see them.

• Advertisement

Roy Hogdson is ringing the changes tonight with a view to the tricky business of the friendlies in November.

Bump - Spurs flavour of the month so they get four injury chances!

Formation is my guess, I imagine it'll be fairly fluid set up ahead of the back line.

Butland
    Clyne-Smalling-Cahill--Rose
    Dier
    Hendo-Alli--Lallana
    Kane---Welback

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just compare those names to the golden generation - Ferdinand, Terry, Scholes, Becks, Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney... it's chalk and cheeese really. But of course that crew never won anything either.

If I never hear that phrase ever again it'll still be too soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Blast from the past with all the Spurs players! Is El Tel behind the scenes again...just missing a batch of Hammers to go with and we could have the England selection policies of the 80's, early 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Is this not showing on UTV? Virgin Media customer here..

Its on ITV/UTV proper - not that nonsense Virgin have.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Was that some English fans doing nazi salutes during their anthem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

micar wrote: »
    Was that some English fans doing nazi salutes during their anthem?

He he , banter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Is there anywhere on this Board to talk about this match?

Considering the perfectly good German goal ruled out that bit of luck balances things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is there anywhere on this Board to talk about this match?

Here...

Not sure Butland will see it like that!

Low key as these things go, some decent football in bursts but the pace is a little pedestrian overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I kind of miss the days when England were good(ish). Euro '96 was a hoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ya have to feel for Butland, big fan of his and he was given a great chance to try put Joe Hart under pressure. Hopefully for his sake it's not going to be a long-term injury but it didn't look good.

I think if it hadn't of been a big game for him to be playing for his country against Germany he wouldn't have gone down and asked for attention then minute he felt something rather than to try play on. Hopefully he hasn't done more damage by playing on.

Butland trying to be a hero, should have kicked the ball out.

I kind of miss the days when England were good(ish). Euro '96 was a hoot.

England are probably most dangerous when they and the media are not tipping themselves as World or European champions. Yes this game lacks intensity but its a composed performance from England. I do feel that Germany have a few extra gears though. The golden generation mentioned above against Germany in a friendly would have been trying to prove a point tonight rather than keeping their powder dry until June.

Henderson squandering at international level as he does at club level!

Super finish by Kane!

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Super finish by Kane!

Then Vardy steps up with a stunning goal too!

I know people like to write off England in major tournaments but the main thing they having going into this one is a lot of very in form players, and they happen to have two strikers in Kane and Vardy that don't look like theyre going to stop scoring any time soon!

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Then Vardy steps up with a stunning goal too!

I know people like to write off England in major tournaments but the main thing they having going into this one is a lot of very in form players, and they happen to have two strikers in Kane and Vardy that don't look like theyre going to stop scoring any time soon!

I see what you're saying but this England team will flop again. They will crumble under the weight of expectation.

Dier!

Take that! :D

Good game, Kane's goal was good but Vardy's just superb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nice comeback!

I see what you're saying but this England team will flop again. They will crumble under the weight of expectation.

Only time will tell.

Just in my opinion the likes of the normal powerhouses of Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal etc do not look nearly as strong or commanding as they have in previous tournaments. Thinking about it , it is really open the Euros this year.

Now I am not saying England will win it, they could well crumble like you say, but I honestly think it is their best chance of having a good run in a major tournament in some time. They have a difficult enough group with Russia and Wales but should still be expected to get through.

If Rooney gets a berth it'll be a disgrace really

Kane, Sturridge, Walcott and Vardy should be the quartet.

It'd take a strong manager to not bring him. Imagine he's left behind and the tournament is a shambles. The press would have a field day.

This summer has the hallmarks of '92. No team with great form and a wild card who didnt qualify wins the damn thing. If the English media can keep grounded you never know. Wales will be useful and neither Irish sides will be disgraced. It is one of the most difficult to call for years. But there wont be a total freak winner like Greece, if there is to be something like that it will be Wales if Bale, Ramsey among a couple of others stay fit. France to implode imo but not quite as spectacularly as previous. If Poland lose Lewandowski they wont progress. Hopefully Italy will be slow starters again but with their managerial situation they could be meh! Sweden are a hit or a miss depending on the ardvark so hopefully he is on a sulk. I'm starting to get in to the build up now!!

Yes and Bodgson has never been adventurous in his tactics or selections but if Rooney is playing the pace will drop, the current set up has "legs", Rooney's tend to go pretty quickly esp in the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Another few goals like that and Vardy will be hitting Messi/Ronaldo status.

Never understand the argument to not bring Rooney. But calling it a disgrace seems extremely far-fetched.

A disgrace to bring Rooney you say? The Wayne Rooney who is Englands captain? Also their top scorer? Also their top scorer of their qualifying campaign that got them into the Euros? Also the top scorer in their qualification group from all the teams?

If anything it would be a disgrace not to bring him to the euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Sturbridge will likely be injured and I'm not seeing the Walcott inclusion tbh. He's just not that good.

ABU talk or simply Liverpool blinkers??!! Walcott isnt ahead of a fit Rooney for digging a team out of a hole. Sturridge isnt a tournament player and far too inconsistent with availability, he is 'delicate'. That you pick him over Sterling a Liverpool turncoat might show your colours. He has a rush for match sharpness in time. Ings could very well be the Liverpool man on the plane. Actually maybe not with injury too. Actually England could be fooked if one of Vardy or Kane get injured as they'd be very light on in form options then. Could push Alli in to the hole and play one up top if this happens.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    ABU talk or simply Liverpool blinkers??!! Walcott isnt ahead of a fit Rooney for digging a team out of a hole. Sturridge isnt a tournament player and far too inconsistent with availability, he is 'delicate'. That you pick him over Sterling a Liverpool turncoat might show your colours. He has a rush for match sharpness in time. Ings could very well be the Liverpool man on the plane.

Sterling? He has plenty to prove - far more than any of that quartet. He, Walcott and Ox are on thin ice for different reasons. Ings won't be playing - wouldn't be anywhere near match fit

• Advertisement
Advertisement