Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England National Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nesta99 wrote: »
    ABU talk or simply Liverpool blinkers??!! Walcott isnt ahead of a fit Rooney for digging a team out of a hole. Sturridge isnt a tournament player and far too inconsistent with availability, he is 'delicate'. That you pick him over Sterling a Liverpool turncoat might show your colours. He has a rush for match sharpness in time. Ings could very well be the Liverpool man on the plane.

Sterling clearly isn't a striker (he'll be in the squad as a winger), and Ings won't even be back from his cruciate injury...

Sturridge isn't a tournament player?! What does that even mean?! Though there is of course every likelihood he'll be injured by then anyway.

Agree that Rooney is well ahead of Walcott though, Walcott shouldn't be near this team.

Welbeck will definitely be going though, Roy loves him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Eh why exclude my change of mind on Ings when I remembered he was injured. Sturridge isnt a tournament player as I said because he is 'delicate' by that I mean unable to cope with the rigours of a tournament after a club season - you acknowledge yourself his likely injury. There are question marks over his mental state in relation to injury - mentioned by Klopp and Rodgers, he needs a shrink not a physio therefore not a tournament finals player taking up a slot. Sterling sees himself as a striker and wants to play that role, similar attitude to Walcott. I agree that he is more a wide man but his ability to cover attacking mid, up top and wide will probably mean he is a shoe in to cover any injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Eh why exclude my change of mind on Ings when I remembered he was injured.
    probably because it was added after I hit the 'quote' button and replied...
    Sturridge isnt a tournament player as I said because he is 'delicate' by that I mean unable to cope with the rigours of a tournament after a club season - you acknowledge yourself his likely injury. There are question marks over his mental state in relation to injury - mentioned by Klopp and Rodgers, he needs a shrink not a physio therefore not a tournament finals player taking up a slot.
    It's a weirdly definitive statement to through out, especially considering not every player going will be playing 90 minutes in every game...if he's not fully fit (which he might be), he's a much better option than most to have on your bench.
    Sterling sees himself as a striker and wants to play that role, similar attitude to Walcott. I agree that he is more a wide man but his ability to cover attacking mid, up top and wide will probably mean he is a shoe in to cover any injuries.
    He can see himself as a striker all he wants, but he'll be in the squad as a winger rather than taking up one of the striker spots - he's awful in front of goal.

I think it'll be 4 from the five of: Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Sturridge, Welbeck.

Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Welbeck as frontmen. Sterling and Walcott will probably be in the squad for different roles but have something of versatility that could see them as attacking options depending on the fortunes of others between now and end of July.

Sturridge has a lot to do to be considered. There is no doubt that he offers something but with the 6 mentioned above and Alli, for example, England are more than covered on attacking options. Sterling's slot (which would be as likely as Welbeck if his head was right) might be more prudent going on a defensive option as England are looking like they will concede currently.

It is a pity for Sterling but when 2 club managers question the extent of his injuries, no doubt based on their medical teams reports showing damn all wrong well then he is what I would consider as high risk to pick in a final 23 therefore not tournament stuff. That may change in the future if not fo this summer.

Henderson should be banned from shooting and told to give it to someone else once he wins te ball and drives forward. He tries desperately to fill Gerard's boots fr club and country but Stephen Gerard he is not especially when it comes to shooting from any distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Much more lethargic game against the Netherlands.
    Pretty even, though England are 2-1 down.

The Netherlands are somewhat fortunate to be the beneficiaries of a generous penalty & their 2nd goal was assisted by a clear foul.

England have not done much though.
    Both teams seem tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Much more lethargic game against the Netherlands.
    Pretty even, though England are 2-1 down.

The Netherlands are somewhat fortunate to be the beneficiaries of a generous penalty & their 2nd goal was assisted by a clear foul.

England have not done much though.
    Both teams seem tired.
    To my way of thinking (and I'm English), it was a penalty. Rose's arm movement just didn't look "right" somehow. The second goal was farcical though. How the ref didn't give a foul for the challenge on Jagielka is a mystery. Still; that just cancelled out the penalty the Dutch should have got early on for the foul by Rose. If he's a future England regular, we're not going to need to get the trophy cabinet cleaned and prepared any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stone(s) me......

I thought it was a harsh penalty but players should know to keep arms close to the body if in the box. Had a chuckle when seeing that the Sun and the Star, too bastions of written news had the same back page headline 'Vardy Pooper'. It never surprises me how fickle the British printed media can be - its all back down to earth stuff but they were the only ones running away with themselves after a friendly pre-tournament win against Germany, a team that quite often lose pre-tournament finals prep games (including to RoI in the past) and then march on to win a WC or Euro!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So for the Euros how do you think they will line up? I actually think this might be their best squad for a long time

really curious to see how they could actually do with some form players like Kane & vardy up front supported by Alli so hopefully captain Rooney is on the bench.

Clyne & Rose have had pretty good seasons as has Smalling in defence

in midfield then I guess along with Alli you could have any of Dier, Henderson or Barkely

In goals you would assume it'll be Hart with Forster & Butland in reserve

if he goes with 2 WFs (instead of the 2 up top) which wouldn't surprise me you also have to consider Sterling, Wellbeck, Walcott etc

and then you have players like Lallana, Walker, Milner, Stones, Cahill, and if there are injuries the injury prone lads like Caroll, & Sturridge might get a look in or a currently injured lad might force his way back in like Wilshere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wilshere is pretty much fit now. Assuming he doesn't have a set back I think he goes.

My prediction for the game against Russia would be
    Rooney Kane Welbeck

Alli

Wilshere Dier

Rose Smalling Cahill Clyne

Hart

• Advertisement

Carroll is the wild card pick imo. Offers something different to spring from the bench, assuming he stays fit. Agree though certainly dark horses - mad really that England are considered by anyone outside of England as an outside bet. At some point they are going to pull it together at a finals and get that slice of luck too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hodgson will select Rooney to stink up his 5th tournament in a row. The rest of the team will end up filling the gaps that Rooney leaves. And Hodgson wlll try and get them to play some sort of ultra-slow possession football that became irrelevent after the last Euros.

The Counter-Attacking game is screaming at him in the face. He has a load of pacey players that like to get the ball forward quick and not fanny about with sideways passing.

Rooney's England form and performances the last four years deserve a place in the team, even if his Manchester United form does not. Hodgson isn't afraid of making tough calls but at the same time he sees himself as loyal and has consistently spoken about his desire to build a squad and treat them fairly. Axing his captain and top goal scorer after ten wins in ten in qualifying and 25ish(?) goals in four years under Hodgson (as good a record as anyone in International football) would be difficult to reconcile with everything that he has said and would risk splitting his squad and destroying their trust in him.

That said, Rooney is slow, fat and **** :) (well two of those). I think he's earned the right to go to France and Hodgson will start him but Alli, Kane, Vardy and Welbeck are making it very tough and if one of Sturridge, Barkley or Walcott can perform from now until the end of the season I don't see Rooney in the team come the end of the group stage.

Presume Rooney starts the first game and subsequent selections will be determined by how that goes. Kane and Vardy undoubtedly playing better, but if the team doesn't start well without him it'll be all about the risk Hodson took dropping his most experienced attacking player. It's the least risky option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Euro Pre-Squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

26 named there, only 23 can go (incl 3 keepers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Englands midfield and defence is very average on paper.

The midfield may be 'average' I guess, and there's definitely not the names of the past there (Beckham, Gerrard, Scholes, Robson, Ince, Gazza, etc) but they all tend to be good players and willing runners with enough technical qualities to do a job in a number of formations. I'm surprised to see Delph there and don't personally think Barkley deserves to be a guaranteed pick at this stage but I'm happy enough.

The defence is just poor. No way to polish that turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Euro Pre-Squad

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

England's selection always baffles me. Marcus Rashford for example, why? Why not Troy Deeney (13 goals 7 assists) or Jermaine Defoe (15 goals 1 assist).

I think that conversation is only worth having if Rashford makes the final 23 (which I don't think he will).

Personally I'd have had both Carroll and Defoe ahead of Rashford but you're talking a fifth choice out and out striker who probably won't get much/any game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Who'll be the 3 to miss out? Delph, Rashford and....?

Would be very harsh on Drinkwater if it was him, for me it'd be Sterling as he's done **** all this season. Townsend has done a lot more in the few months he's been at Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think that conversation is only worth having if Rashford makes the final 23 (which I don't think he will).

Personally I'd have had both Carroll and Defoe ahead of Rashford but you're talking a fifth choice out and out striker who probably won't get much/any game time.

But what if one or even two of the strikers pick up an injury?

But what if one or even two of the strikers pick up an injury?

Yeah I get that but you can say that about most positions. Should you take three left-backs in case one or two gets injured?

I think England's 'Plan A' is Harry Kane as the one main centre forward and Rooney somewhere else in the team. That leaves Vardy & Sturridge in reserve which should be enough. I can see an argument for a fifth option but I can also see why you might want more options elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Corholio wrote: »
    Who'll be the 3 to miss out? Delph, Rashford and....?

Would be very harsh on Drinkwater if it was him, for me it'd be Sterling as he's done **** all this season. Townsend has done a lot more in the few months he's been at Newcastle.

It'll be Delph, Rashford and Drinkwater. We don't have many out and out wingers in the squad so I can see Townsend and Sterling staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Drinkwater has to be included tbf,I can't believe Wiltshire is included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

shamrock55 wrote: »

An entire county is in the England squad? that's a bit mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You can't believe that Englands best midfielder is included?

Wilshere is England's best midfielder by a long shot. Drinkwater doesn't really bring anything of note to the squad unlike Wilshere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Euro Pre-Squad

It's a fairly poor squad and many are coming off the back of dreadful seasons like.

Gary Cahill
    John Stones
    Ross Barkley
    Jordan Henderson
    Raheem Sterling
    Andros Townsend
    Jack Wilshere
    Wayne Rooney

Central defence is very poor, midfield is fairly average. The only strengths I see are the full backs and Strikers namely Kane, Vardy and Sturridge.

They will do nothing at this tournament, so many better squads managed by far more astute managers.

The one player I cant understand why he is included is Fabian Delph, surely Mark Noble would be a better shout. Ryan Shawcross should be in the squad too he is every bit as good as Smalling, Cahill and Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Jack Grealish unlucky to miss out..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Some people aren't going to like this but I'd have Defoe in that squad instead of Rooney. Rooney is there on reputation alone and Defoe has carried Sunderland this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You can't believe that Englands best midfielder is included?
    He hasn't even been their their tenth best midfielder this season.

eagle eye wrote: »
    He hasn't even been their their tenth best midfielder this season.

7 out of 8 MOTM awards in his last 8 England appearances. Who would honestly do better than him if you leave him out?

Even if he is rusty I'd rather have a player that's genuine quality than some average player who'll barely make a difference when it matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

magma69 wrote: »
    Some people aren't going to like this but I'd have Defoe in that squad instead of Rooney. Rooney is there on reputation alone and Defoe has carried Sunderland this season.
    Agreed. Rooney hasn't delivered this season, Defoe most definitely has. So much for Roy picking players on current form.

Any chance Rooney might be played in midfield and Vardy and Kane will start up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Any chance Rooney might be played in midfield and Vardy and Kane will start up front.

I think they'd be mad to play Rooney in midfield and since they've got better options up front he should start sat on the bench.

derm0j073 wrote: »
    I think they'd be mad to play Rooney in midfield and since they've got better options up front he should start sat on the bench.

He more than likely going to start though, so I'm thinking Hodgson might force him into the team in some sort of midfield diamond.

I don't think he should start either but I can't see Hogdson having the balls to drop him and I can't see how he should play up front considering the form of Vardy and Kane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I wouldn't be shocked if he starts at the tip of the diamond where imo Dele Alli should be if they are going for that formation.

As it is a tournament and I wouldn't blame anyone for saying Wales could be just as hard as Russia (their first game) so some rotation might be needed so maybe it won't be as much of an issue as it's being made out to be, at least to begin with. By the knockouts if he is on form and ideally for them scoring he can keep his place but if Kane, Vardy or Alli are doing good enough then he should be on the bench for those matches.

tbh They really shouldnt fail to get out of their group (not saying they won't but they shouldn't)

magma69 wrote: »

Reputation and being captain & top scorer in qualifying.

Rooney's record under Hodgson is insane. 23 goals in something like 30 games. He's scored a quarter of England's goals over Hodgson's reign.

There's a debate to be had about Rooney's role in the team and whether he should be a starter but he's in the side currently on merit.

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. Rooney hasn't delivered this season, Defoe most definitely has. So much for Roy picking players on current form.

When has Hodgson ever said that he picks on form? He has consistently said the opposite - that he builds a squad, is loyal with them and leaves it for players outside of that squad to give him no option but to drop someone (as Vardy & Alli for example have done this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I don't think he should start either but I can't see Hogdson having the balls to drop him and I can't see how he should play up front considering the form of Vardy and Kane.

No doubt Roy will shoehorn him in somewhere and unless Rooney finds form it'll be to England's detriment. He won't be the first player to get picked well past his sell by date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

No Cresswell?

England's best left back imo.

Hodgson is this England's side biggest weak link.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    No Cresswell?

England's best left back imo.

Hodgson is this England's side biggest weak link.

Well he is on a hiding to nothing as every England manager has been since Bobby Robson (and probably before too but I wouldnt remember) at least from the 1990 WC semi-final and they thought they'd kick on for Euro '92 with that tournament fiasco. It will certainly be interesting to look back on this thread in due course. Either way it will finish Rooney's standing in the England squad or he will answer critics. For whatever reason I think this could be their tournament, or at least their best showing for 26 years. Maybe it is simply the relatively low key English media focus so far and no effort to dig up a scandal pre tournament. They dont seem to be overly relying on a couple of key players not suffering their metatarsal jinx as with previous finals and taking injured players in hope of recovery and fitness in time. Not saying they wouldnt seriously miss some of the players mentioned above but its not quite as much all eggs in one basket as it has before!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Kane has England 1 goal up inside 3 minutes. It should have been ruled out for offside though. Alli assist.

It's on ITV for anyone who is interested.

Yeah terrible decision. Kane though, what a lad. I fancy him for goals, goals, goals at the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

1-1 now. Danny Rose is all over the shop for that goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Kane trying his hand at knuckleballing!

Would be nice if one comes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dier is basically on his own as Alli and Wilshere leave CDM at every opportunity.

Lots more goals in this IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Harry Kane taking free kicks out on the wing is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Turkish manager showing the 4th official the offside on his phone. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

V Australia tonight, hopefully Brad Smith is in the squad. Rashers to start by the looks of it.
    Its on ITV (not UTV Ireland) at 7.30

Advertisement