Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Todays cost of commuting?

Options
  • 07-02-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I've been looking around the net before starting this thread but couldn't find a decent list of costs except a couple of mentions in newspaper articles.

So I was wondering if anyone here had some info on the present day cost of commuting in Ireland, by car specifically?

For people living in the commuter belts, what are they spending on petrol, tolls and parking to get to and from work?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of setting up a website that will hopefully help people out who are finding the cost of the commute crippling, but need to know what the demand is before beginning!

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The CSO just recently released information about transport, including information on commuting such as the time & distance of the commute, mode of transport, etc.

This information could be used to come up with some fairly accurate figures in as regards the average cost of driving to work, etc, probably a lot more accurate than looking for opinions online.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Was the distance data released by the CSO?

They asked everybody their home and work or study location but, unlike other years, not the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Afaik the CSO used the home and work locations to figure out the distances involved, rather than asking people. I guess people aren't very good at estimating distances in general. They did ask about travel times though which can be visualised here if anybody is interested: http://airomaps.nuim.ie/flexviewer/?config=Census2011.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭lockon...

Overthrow wrote: »
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of setting up a website that will hopefully help people out who are finding the cost of the commute crippling, but need to know what the demand is before beginning!

Any help much appreciated

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring.aspx

Advertisement