Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New petrol station on North St, Swords

Options
  • 07-02-2013 11:17am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see in the North County Leader that the planning permission has been approved to build an Applegreen station on the site of Des Darcy's dealership on North St. It'll have a shop, car wash, some kind of drivethru thing as well. Planned to be open in the autumn.

I suppose it'll be a good and bad thing.

Pros:
    Swords desperately needs another petrol station
    Shops on that end of North st don't open late so improved services

Cons:
    Construction traffic (only in the short term) & increased usage traffic in the longer term
    I'd be worried for the other local businesses, particularly the newsagent and the off licence.

Over all, I'm coming down on the side of good news for Swords. Applegreen's prices are certainly more competitive than Topaz's.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm the other end of the town and we're well served with petrol stations, so I think it will be a good thing -especially now the one on the Rathbeale Road is gone. I'm all for anything that brings more employment to Swords and this will, both in the construction and then in the running of the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Yeah went to wash the car in Texaco last Saturday and the queue was 7-8 cars deep, went down to Topaz and the same story!

Glad to have a 3rd option back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

This is great news. I'm down near Applewood & tend to go to the service station in Lisenhall.
    This should make the prices more competitive in Swords also. Texaco on Pinnock Hill are charging 162.9 for petrol & 154.9 for Diesel. I filled up my bike today in town & paid 158.9 for petrol & the diesel was only 149.9.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's great news, getting into the Topaz can be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Was walking past the roundabout before waterside on the malahide road going towards malahide. And there was an application for planning permission for a petrol station on the left hand side of the roundabout.
    Not sure if there is somewhere to check these things online.

Seems a strange place to build a petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.swordsdublin.net/applegreen_filling_station_north_street.html

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/applegreen-to-create-360-jobs-in-motorway-network-expansion-30402222.html

Just bumping up this thread as it was announced in the news recently that 4 new Applegreen stations will open this year including one in Swords. It will consist of a Burger King drive thru, Costa Coffee, Subway and shop and forecourt. I'd say the Burger King will be a big success considering the large young population around Swords.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Construction started last week.

Less thrilled now that I read the Indo article about the prospect of a drive-thru Burger King but it's not 100% clear that this will be the setup in Swords - it could be read as talking about the motorway service station in Wicklow. The site on North St doesn't look big enough to house all of that (if similar in size to the ones on the M1 near Lusk).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Construction started last week.

Less thrilled now that I read the Indo article about the prospect of a drive-thru Burger King but it's not 100% clear that this will be the setup in Swords - it could be read as talking about the motorway service station in Wicklow. The site on North St doesn't look big enough to house all of that (if similar in size to the ones on the M1 near Lusk).

This is the full planning description on the council site
    Full Development Description

1. Demolition of existing car showroom (710 sq.m.) and ancillary site features including petrol pumps; 2. Construction of a new single storey shop building (422 sq.m.) comprising of retail area (with ancillary off-licence use), cafe area, kitchen, restaurant area (with ancillary drive thru facility), seating area, play area, storage and ancillary areas. 3. Construction of a new forecourt with 6 no. pump islands and canopy over; 4. Installation of 3 no. 40,000L underground fuel storage tanks, associated pipework and overground fill points; 5. Installation of 1 no. jet wash facility, 1 no. brush wash facility, and a single storey car wash recycle building; 6. Installation 1 no. main ID sign; 7. Construction of all ancillary site works including screened bin compound, signage, boundary treatments, landscaping and car parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Looks like its almost ready to open!

I'd say a couple of weeks. The glass went in on the shop part this week, so the inside still has to be kitted out. They haven't built the roof on the forecourt either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Nothing but positives for the town. Looking forward to it opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Friend of mine had an interview today. it's opening 23rd October..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... so I think it will be a good thing -especially now the one on the Rathbeale Road is gone....
    There seems to be another new one under construction further out the Ashbourne Road (near the turn for Killsallaghan/Oldtown).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Is that the one in Rowlestown, near the old school?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Opened today @11am

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Wow! Its really nice.

Looks like lots of the staff are from Swords.

I though the fuel price was a mistake. Its about 5cent cheaper than Topaz. Maybe the start of a fuel war!!! Bring it on!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's Rolestown. That new sign has the wrong spelling. The ole petrol station locally known as "Doyles" did very well before it closed so the new one should too.

Not too happy about the new one on North Street. A Burger King on my gym route is not what I need.

paska wrote: »

I though the fuel price was a mistake. Its about 5cent cheaper than Topaz. Maybe the start of a fuel war!!! Bring it on!!!!!

Fuel near Ashbourne is 1.47 at the moment has always tended to be cheaper than Topaz, I've always found Topaz in Swords v. expensive for fuel.

I work in Dundrum and the topaz there was 5 cent a litre cheaper than Swords last week!

Stheno wrote: »
    Fuel near Ashbourne is 1.47 at the moment has always tended to be cheaper than Topaz, I've always found Topaz in Swords v. expensive for fuel.

I work in Dundrum and the topaz there was 5 cent a litre cheaper than Swords last week!

I presumed it was a special "we just opened" price.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

No idea as I tend to avoid applegreen.

There is a super station on the way to ashbourne, go left rather than right for ashbourne and they are a mile or so down the road, think they are texaco

Consistently low price, seems to be good fuel, and superb service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Stheno wrote: »
    No idea as I tend to avoid applegreen.

There is a super station on the way to ashbourne, go left rather than right for ashbourne and they are a mile or so down the road, think they are texaco

Consistently low price, seems to be good fuel, and superb service.

Yea the one at The Ward. Certainly a few cent cheaper (for diesel anyway)
    Was a bit cautious the first time but when I saw a good que thought it must be ok. Threw a tenner in on a near empty tank the first time to be sure.No Problems . Filled it to the brim for my trip to France with zero problems and no performance problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Will make the Boycott of Denis o Briens Topaz easier so thats a good thing.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

147.9 is the price in a number of regular stations at the moment so maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Buttercup78

Well the texaco out near Ashbourne is 143.9 as of yesterday, while it's usually cheap I'd say applegreen isn't an opening thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Well the texaco out near Ashbourne is 143.9 as of yesterday, while it's usually cheap I'd say applegreen isn't an opening thing.

For petrol or diesel?

For petrol or diesel?

Petrol id say diesel there was about 1.35 earlier this week

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Its pretty busy in Swords. Inside is very posh. Parking is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

paska wrote: »
    Its pretty busy in Swords. Inside is very posh. Parking is tight.

Yea very little parking spaces there. I filled up there last Saturday & as it was busy decided to move my car before I paid. There was no spaces left so ended up parking beside the air pump.

When I came back some woman was getting really angry with my wife as she wanted to get air. I explained to her the only free spots was there or in disabled spots & there was no way I was parking in a disabled spot.
    There was I thinking I was doing the right thing by moving my car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement