Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of fibre broadband

Options
  • 07-02-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I am using Eircom 24 M Next Generation Broadband & on Douglas exchange in Cork. Usual d /l speed is just below 8 M. When can I expect to get fibre broadband & will the price be the same as I am paying at present. Also will I have the choice to stay with the copper wire or go with the fibre optic cable.   Thanks  John

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jo43hn wrote: »
    Hi I am using Eircom 24 M Next Generation Broadband & on Douglas exchange in Cork. Usual d /l speed is just below 8 M. When can I expect to get fibre broadband & will the price be the same as I am paying at present. Also will I have the choice to stay with the copper wire or go with the fibre optic cable.   Thanks  John
    You might even get it free for a few weeks before it formally launches Douglas is a trial exchange for the fibre product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You might even get it free for a few weeks before it formally launches Douglas is a trial exchange for the fibre product.

Hi Sponge Bob

The Fibre pilot scheme has now ended. We are no longer taking new applications to this scheme.

Regards

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi jo43hn

You will have the choice to stay with your current broadband service or move to fibre. We have no exact dates as to when fibre will be available to customers in the douglas but we are hoping this will be ready to go live within the first half of 2013.

Regards

Al

Not the Pilot scheme, the Trial scheme to test the Unified Gateway for ordering and fault reporting etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

How did you find that out Sponge Bob? and are there any other exchanges that will be part of the trial?

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »
    How did you find that out Sponge Bob? and are there any other exchanges that will be part of the trial?
    I asked around. :) Ennis and Ballyboden will also be trialled along with Douglas. Perhaps some others.

I would not expect the trial to start until near easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jo43hn

Hi jo43hn

You will have the choice to stay with your current broadband service or move to fibre. We have no exact dates as to when fibre will be available to customers in the douglas but we are hoping this will be ready to go live within the first half of 2013.

Regards

Al
    Hi Alan thanks for reply. Since I have been paying for 24 m broadband for some time & getting just 8 m I would hope to get the 24 m without any extra payment when the fibre goes live. The fibre optic cable is in the local cabinets since last year & has been tested & is ready to roll. Any more info would be helpful     John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Alan thanks for reply. Since I have been paying for 24 m broadband for some time & getting just 8 m I would hope to get the 24 m without any extra payment when the fibre goes live. The fibre optic cable is in the local cabinets since last year & has been tested & is ready to roll. Any more info would be helpful     John

Hi John,

If you would like to PM me with your tel no: I can look into the current speeds you are getting on the "up to 24MB" Ultimate package.

As soon as the information regrading the fibre packages is available we will be posting all the information on the eircom net website.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi jo43hn,

I got your details thanks, I am checking it out and I will get back to you tomorrow,

Thanks, Mark

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Trial/

Trial now live to participating ISPs. Exchanges on trial are

1. Ballyboden
    2. Douglas
    3. Ennis
    4. Clonee ( might be FTTH that)

• Advertisement
Advertisement