Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change to IT Sector

Options
  • 07-02-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All!

I am considering a career change into the IT sector for a long time now and I am not sure where to start.
    I am working part time at the moment so returning to college full time so off the cards unfortunately.
    I have been looking at the part time degree courses in computing etc in the institutes of technology around where I'm living and they are quite expensive so I'm not sure if I could afford it. I also have been researching some certificate courses also like the CompTIA A+ and the adding on others like the CompTIA Network+ and CCNA etc.

So I'm wondering if I do these courses will it be a good starting point to work from and get my foot in the door some where or would I even be considered with these?
    Or is there a better way of going about this, I would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

The IT Sector is quite vast nowadays, what kind of position are you looking for? It's always good to get into a Technical Support position first to learn some experience while doing a course on the site (such as an MSCE / MSCA / CompTIA or CCNA) because training is provided on the job. Doing so will help avoid those situations where you apply for a job but are turned down because of lack of experience... because you can't get a job to gain experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shelly2013

Thanks Advertsfox for your reply.
    I'm a qualified architectural technician and I would say that I have a small bit more than a basic knowledge of computers but obviously it dosnt relate to this area either. What I need to know is would I get an entry level job say as in a technical support role with out doing the likes of the CompTIA A+ first or would that be a good certificate to get before appying for that type of position and then do additional courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Shelly2013 wrote: »
    Thanks Advertsfox for your reply.
    I'm a qualified architectural technician and I would say that I have a small bit more than a basic knowledge of computers but obviously it dosnt relate to this area either. What I need to know is would I get an entry level job say as in a technical support role with out doing the likes of the CompTIA A+ first or would that be a good certificate to get before appying for that type of position and then do additional courses?
    Well firstly, your skills and past experience won't be pushed aside because they are not IT related because it proves your a capable learner. To get into an entry level role, I believe a good interview is enough but to be safe - start off in your IT course of choice and then apply for a role, it will look great if you are "currently completing" a course. I suggest an MSCE / MSCA or CompTIA A+.

Advertisement