Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Storm to Hit NE US Friday 8th!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

lucky baxtards

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

Blizzard Forecast for Eastern Seaboard on Friday, Hundreds of Flights Impacted.

As another storm moved across the Midwest Tuesday, all eyes were on Winter Storm Nemo, a nor’easter that the National Weather Service called “potentially historic.”
    Starting Friday, moderate snowfall is expected from the Upper Midwest through the northern Great Lakes as the storm moves east, but very heavy snowfall is expected in New England. New York City could get between six to ten inches although areas north and west of the city may see more than a foot. Parts of New England could get between one to two feet by Saturday.
    In some areas, high winds are expected to cause blizzard-like conditions, which will make travel nearly impossible. A blizzard watch is in effect for much of eastern Massachusetts from Friday morning through Saturday afternoon, and some computer models are predicting blizzard-like conditions throughout the Northeast.
    The storm is expected to cause major delays that impact much of the country and hundreds of flights will have been cancelled before the weekend is out.
    Several airlines including American and Delta have already issued waivers and are telling passengers that they can delay their travel without penalty.
    Airports likely to be impacted by the storm include Bangor, Maine; Binghamton, N.Y.; Burlington, Vt.; Boston, Mass.; Buffalo, N.Y.; Hartford, Conn.; Montreal, Canada; New York City; Newark, N.J.; Philadelphia, Pa.; Portland, Maine; Ottawa, Canada; Rochester, N.Y.; Scranton, Pa.; Syracuse, N.Y.; and White Plains, N.Y.

Click here to cancel reply »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I live in Nashua, New Hampshire. Some places are reporting a possible 33 inches here. I can't wait for this! Going to stock up on food and supplies this evening as there will surely be power outages. A weekend of reading and watching the snowfall... Heaven. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

[-0-] wrote: »
    A weekend of reading and watching the snowfall... Heaven. :)

evil-plotting-raccoon-meme-generator-and-then-you-die-abcc09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Attached map shows my forecast for the storm in inches, 30 inches = 75 cm.

Most of the snow will be on Saturday as the storm will be explosively deepening south of Long Island around midnight Friday to 0300h Saturday then tracking northeast across the outer portions of Cape Cod and Nantucket Island.

Snow will change to rain in those outer coastal regions and northeast winds could reach 50-80 mph with severe waves causing shoreline erosion and overtopping seawalls in places (the weekend has perigeean new moon high tides).

Heaviest snowfalls (possibly 75 cm to 100 cm) are likely just inland from Boston and in higher parts of central to western CT as well as parts of s.e. NH and inland coastal Maine.

NYC will probably get only 10-20 cm possibly 30 cm eastern suburbs as the storm will be rather weak as it comes off the continent and merges with a rainstorm moving up the east coast, not much if any snow likely south of about Atlantic City to Baltimore MD.

Some parts of the Great Lakes region will see 15-30 cm snowfalls today and tomorrow from the inland component, enhanced by northeast winds off Lake Ontario or Lake Erie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

kenmc wrote: »
    lucky baxtards

More than a foot of snow ... "lucky" ... That word: I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I really hope it waits until Saturday. I'm in DC at the moment and due to fly back to Dublin on Friday night via JFK and I'll be really annoyed if I get stuck there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Was looking at this earlier few reports saying it could break some all time record for snow. 4ft of snow forecast for some areas , 3 inches an hour of wet snow. There is a clipper merging with a sub tropical jet according to TVNweather. Could someone tell me what a clipper is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Delta have just cancelled my flights in and out of JFK tomorrow evening... They're assuming this snow is a done deal then?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Been following this page for awhile now great updates etc

http://www.weather.com/

• Advertisement

demakinz wrote: »
    Was looking at this earlier few reports saying it could break some all time record for snow. 4ft of snow forecast for some areas , 3 inches an hour of wet snow. There is a clipper merging with a sub tropical jet according to TVNweather. Could someone tell me what a clipper is?

Wikipedia explains an Alberta clipper - basically it's a fast moving storm that cuts across southern Canada and sometimes hits the Great Lakes and the northeastern United States.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I always find it amazing that we can predict these thing as we can.

Looking out the window into sunny(ish) Brooklyn it looks like just another February day but every news channel, radio station and just now my phone via a 'public alert' is telling me that tomorrow we're gonna get either 4 inches or 4 feet of snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Was in Boston for one of these epic snowstorms back in December 02. Up to 3ft of snow overnight. An unforgettable experience. Want to go back for another Nor'easter...
    4359565006_610d15172d.jpg

When I checked the weather first thing this morning, this is what I saw (look at the red bar at the top.)

Fine way to start the day, huh?

redbaratthetop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Damn, I deleted all my good Sandy bookmarks for cam sites and local weather updates only a couple of weeks ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

More than a foot of snow ... "lucky" ... That word: I do not think it means what you think it means.

you should be in the "grounding" thread. a foot of snow. think how awesome that is. a foot. 30cm. savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's a good link to follow the weather data associated with this snowstorm.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

BigMoose wrote: »
    Delta have just cancelled my flights in and out of JFK tomorrow evening... They're assuming this snow is a done deal then?

It is in Boston anyways. I was scheduled to head back to Oklahoma early Saturday morning. I've been told that won't happen. And that's on a Government aircraft. So I'd imagine commercial airlines are being even more cautious.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

kenmc wrote: »
    you should be in the "grounding" thread. a foot of snow. think how awesome that is. a foot. 30cm. savage.

Awesome is coming down stairs, and opening the front door to see an image of the door in a snow drift that had blown into the corner of the house (L shaped) overnight, the top of the drift was above the head of the door.

The car was parked the other side of the house, and I knew it hadn't been taken, but I couldn't see it, all I could see was the pile of snow on the roof of the car, it was completely buried.

Outside the dining room window, the road went past the house, at the edge of the road I could see tarmac, but there was a 6 Ft drift down the middle of the road between us and the house opposite.

Nothing moved down the road for 4 days.

Not sure if I can put my hand on pictures at the moment, not sure where they are.

Now to the surprise. This happened in 1970's (5 I think), in Wellngton, Somerset, England. Small town in a valley between the Blackdown Hills and Exemoor, so while the hills got snow most winters, the valley didn't get snow that often, or that much.

It had all gone within a week though, so while it did cause some problems for a few days, things got back to normal relatively quickly.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

BCmhn1iCcAEeYN8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

head to Ontario, you snowheads. 401 in Toronto

loc107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some serious stuff now on the stream!!
    WISH I LIKE COFFEE! ha

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/live-stream

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

TWC Breaking ‏@TWCBreaking
    Weather is so turbulent that NWS New York reports their 7pm weather balloon was lost and did not report any data after being released. #nemo

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

ardmacha wrote: »
    head to Ontario, you snowheads. 401 in Toronto

loc107.jpg

Not such fun if like me you're stranded at Pearson airport waiting for a flight back to Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Not such fun if like me you're stranded at Pearson airport waiting for a flight back to Europe!

That's terrible, you'll have to live on Timbits!

Probably, Toronto is now not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Reports of thunder snow many places.

Also claims of up to 5cm of snow an hour in Connecticut.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Only 2-3 inches so far in Brooklyn (on my roof at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

They cleared all this about an hour ago! I live just outside Boston IMG_0303_zps3502f9eb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is insane. My heating went so I just got that fixed and the maintenance guy left about 20 minutes ago, his footprints are gone along with any trace of his van. I'm in Nashua, NH and we have about a foot already and it's only 11pm. If this keeps up we'll get 20 or 30 inches no problem.

I read the following from Reed Timmer:
    Minimum pressure with still rapidly deepening Nor'easter now down to 982 mb and expected to drop into the upper 970s as it moves northeast passing just southeast of Cape Cod, MA overnight.

Winds of 60-65 mph have been reported over the last hour even in Providence, with over 200,000 power outages in Massachusetts alone and this blizzard is just getting started.

The axis of heavy snow will pivot into coastal Maine as well by 1-2 am, and remain nearly stationary from central/eastern CT into eastern MA through as late as early afternoon tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see three feet of snow in Boston Metro by the end of this record breaking Nor'easter.

This will go down in the record books as the worst Nor'easter to hit New England in recorded history unless something drastic changes.

Our power keeps flickering, hopefully it stays on!

Advertisement